Issue #279 - May 3, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Saturday, May 3 1997     Volume 01 : Number 279

PLEASE OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING:

     * DO NOT send unsubscribe requests to the posting address!!
       Send all administrative requests to
            armchair-request@maillist.il.ft.hse.nl
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "Magical Armchair Digest, Volume X, Issue #nnn").
     * Keep your posts short. Remember, you are writing to over a thousand
       people. Long posts tend to ramble. Reread your message before
       sending it!
     * DON'T quote excessively, OR QUOTE THE ENTIRE DIGEST, when
       replying. Edit your quote to only the line or lines you are
       replying to. Remember, unlike Usenet, everyone's already seen the
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 10:27:27 +1000 (EST)
From: Derek Scott <scoco@netspace.net.au>
Subject: Australian fans

Hey everyone (fellow Australians especially)
Well, I only just read the last few TMAs so I'm a bit behind, but....
>>Anyone one who wants to be
>>involved,  has any ideas on how it get started or how we can get it some
>>publicity (maybe we can get it mentioned on "Triple J") PLEASE E-MAIL ME!

>   Hey, good idea.  I reckon everyone in Australia should do something to
>try and get them out here!!!  If they come here, I'll be getting to as many
>shows as possible!!!  So umm...  yeah...
me too! hope they stay in Sydney for a while (if they come...) We'll have to
meet up with everyone from TMA.
>>P.S  Claire....Don't you think that Custard would be an excellent support
>>act!
>   HA!   Let's go for The Whitlams!!!  I reckon they'd be a perfect opener
>for BFF.
Custard would be great, but the Whitlams would be even better! The would, as
you say, Ad, be perfect!

catch ya
Claire

* The Days of the Digital Watch are Numbered              *
*                                      -Ginger Meggs, SMH *

Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 21:50:34 -0700
From: Spidey the Fun-Licker <fruvousman@geocities.com>

Well, I've been getting armchair about a month, but I'm sending my
unsubscribe message because it's getting to be pain. I get like 3 a day,
they take forever to load, etc....not that you people aren't cool, you
are. And BF5 still rocks, but I'm getting off this list because it's
just a little too much trouble.

- --
 Spidey the Fun-Licker "Rochesterian Früfan Deluxe"
- -----------------------------------------------------
{{{{{{{{{"We keep dumping toxic wastes into our }}}}}
{{{{{lakes & rivers, and people are treating that}}}}
{{{{as a bad thing. But that's not necessarily a }}}}
{{{bad thing, 'cause we can always just flee }}}}}}}}
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{the planet."}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
*To e-mail me, send mail to fruvousman@geocities.com*
******The address that my posts are from is fake*****

Date: Thu,  1 May 97 21:55:01 PDT
From: evlbison <evlbison@neo.lrun.com>
Subject: Armchair Officiando's official title

I personaly preffer "BenHeads", maybe "Armchair Pilots", or
perhaps even "Pianophiles"... any other suggestions?

"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank"
~They Might Be Giants - Everything thats right is wrong
again~

"On the run from Johnny Law... Ain't no trip to Cleveland"
~Dignan - Bottle Rocket~

"He was thrown head over heels into the traffic coming on,
but then all is fair in love"
~Ben Folds Five~

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
~Ash - Army of Darkenss~

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  1 May 97 21:57:01 PDT
From: evlbison <evlbison@neo.lrun.com>
Subject: My own cover suggestions

How about a cover of Joe Jackson's "Stepping Out"? It's got a
groovy piano section that Ben could do ALOT with. If not
that, anyone ever heard Biff Rose's "Molly"? It's kind of a
sad song, but it also has some kick-ass piano shtuff. I can
send any and all of you a copy of both mentioned songs, via
e-mail if you like.

Keeo it real kids,
Steve

Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 22:22:08 -0400
From: Barone <barone@magpage.com>
Subject: [Fwd: review of philly show]

- --------------4226172D148D

- --
PK

- --------------4226172D148D

Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 19:18:02 -0400
From: Barone <barone@magpage.com>
To: armchair.maillist.il.ft.hse.nl
CC: barone@magpage.com
Subject: review of philly show

- --
PK
            Ok heres my review of the show.
   Ok first off....while i was standing in line at about 6:30 to get
into the TLA Ben came out with Kate ....he walked right by but i was too
nervous to try to talk to him...i think only about 2 other people
recognized him.....he came back and then he went out again about 15
minutes later he came out again.(im gonna be kicking myself in the ass
forever for not talking to him) DAMMIT! darren came out about 5 minutes
later i didnt talk to him either. Then some dude came out and gave me
and my brother a free poster COOL well they opened the door and i rushed
the stage....i got a spot at the right of the stage right under were
robert would be.
	Komeda came out and i was like oh geez i gotta listen to this
crap. But i was really surprised. They were reeally cool i dug them
alot. They said stupid things in between their songs but it was really
great. The keyboard didnt work the whole time and finnally the
keyboardist just left...i felt really bad for him.
	Oh yeah...i was about a foot away from the speaker the whole
time so im pretty deaf right now. BFF came out and opened with missing
the war. (i cant remember the whole setlist) but heres the cool stuff.
 About 4 songs in...ben left to get another shirt and robert and darren
improvised....rob sang a song aboutben leaving to get changed and him
not being able to smoke. It was funny...ben came back out with a Komeda
shirt and he sang about that too. then ben modeled his shirt and sang
bow wow wow yippe yo yippe a the sounds of the bass brings me too
another day..i thought i would die laughing.
       then some one shouted out "PLAY THE BIG SONG!" so ben said ok and
jammed and sang " this is the big song" and robert and darren joined in
and it rocked...it could accually be a song on an album i think. iT HAD
POTENTIAL. Any way...they sang BOWCCL and afterwards, ben said "the
f****** franklin mint is here" and then he asked if anyone worked there
and i yelled really loud "MY DOG DOES!" and robert looked at me really
quick with a surprised look on his face COOL .
	IF anyone saw me there please tell me....i was the big dude
right in front of the stage by the speaker wearing shorts, a collared
shirt and a backwards FLYERS cap. I tries to stick around after the show
to see if they would come back out but i got kicked out by bouncers. I
had a really great time.
       Isaw another armchair person there but i didnt talk to him...he
was wearing a hat with MAGICAL ARMCHAIR taped on it.
	SORRY THIS POST WAS SOOOO LONG

                                   Travis  barone@magpage.com
"too much livin is no way to die"-son volt

- --------------4226172D148D--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 21:58:49 -0500 (CDT)
From: Edward A Weinstein <wein0047@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Subject: For fans in Japan...

Well, I don't know if it's going to get any support from the band yet,
but to my knowledge, this is the first website devoted to Ben Folds Five
in Japanese.....  Anyone in Japan or who reads Japanese please check it
out!  And tell your friends....  :)

http://www.adspecial.com/bffjapan

Ed

A man with waaaay too much time on his hands.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 23:00:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: excandescent <el266071@hvcc.edu>
Subject: oh man

From: nancy <ndoodle@ou.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #274
>> I'd like to throw in another suggestion for the "what to call us
>> BFF-ers."  On the Nine Inch Nails newsgroup, we call ourselves Nin-nies
>>(because of the "NIN" letters).  What about Bennies?
>> (because of the "NIN" letters).  What about Bennies?

>ohno, I can't refrain...BEANIE BENNIES!!!! ack, _I_ even hate myself for
>that one.
>oh so disgusted by me ;)
>nancy

	hahah oh man..i just had to reply..hehehe..i work at mcdonald's..i
have wanted so much to stuff those stupid beanie babys down someone's
throat..luckily our store ran out of them, but i STILL have people asking
for em.  ugh..i've never seen such mayhem over a happy meal.

	well!  onto a ben folds five-related topic.  today i went to buy a
ticket for the saratoga winners show (ehhehe 29 days) for my friend who i
got to go with me (heheh, i made a convert!) and as i walked into the door
what do i hear but song for the dumped? :)  it made my day..it was on
shuffle so i didn't get to hear "selfless" after it tho, that sucked, but
that's ok cause i had to go to school anyway :)

	absenter's stupid freakin web page:
	http://bbs.cowland.com/absenter
"feed me enough poison, i'll learn to enjoy it." - jawbox

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 00:12:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Kristaffer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #276

First, I have a question to ask. What is the Video Jukebox # for BOWCCL? I
know it has been posted before, but I lost it.

Also, I think it would be really cool for BFF to do a cover of Queens
"Bohemian Rhapsody".  I'm sure Robert could work out a bass solo to take the
place of the guitar solo.  That song just sounds like something BFF would do.

As for a collective name, if you take BFF and stick a few letters in it, you
get Beffers, Buffers, Biffers, or Baffers, but personally, I like Fivers
better!

As for other things, try not to make the same mistake Frank P. McGoff
<fmcgoff@wsii.com> made by quoting the entire digest.  I'm still trying to
sort that out, but I know it was a mistake.

Kris
http://users.aol.com/kristaffer/family

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 23:06:05 -0400
From: Carrie Shanafelt <LaRubia@compuserve.com>
Subject: Golly, I love this list...

I save all my Armchairs up for a week, then read 'em all... You guys are so
cool.. I think our upsizing may have weeded out some of those who are
easily annoyed or whatever, but reading these past few, I have been
impressed by the fact that I think we're left with some extremely wonderful
and positive people.  I've been on the Armchair since December, and I am
more than glad that you guys have come -- Yeah, I'm the girl who took 7 of
her numerous "converts" to the show in Lawrence... I still haven't gotten
over that experience; every time I look at my "cool in school" t-shirt, I
smile, and whenever anyone posts a concert review, I sigh.  Gee willikers,
Officer Jones, there ain't a cooler set of musically gifted guys on the
planet (although Semisonic is a close second...).  Keep up the good vibes,
cheers to Frank, and a hey out there to all of you old listees who have
kept on!  I love all of you!
Carrie

"I wandered in the moonlight, a ghost without a friend
All around me starlight fell on lost and wounded men
I know that I did some damage, I wanted to be whole again
So I waited for a star my soul to mend" -- Semisonic

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 01:18:28 -0400
From: Steffen Donath <SDonath@compuserve.com>
Subject: That is it!! I had enough!!

I am sick and tired of people not knowing how to unsubscribe or quoting an
entire digest before saying nothing!

Thank you Frank for numerous fantastic Magical Armchairs over the last
year. I really appreciated all your hard work that you have put into this.
Thanx a lot!!!

And last but by no means least a big hearty GIVE ME MY ARMCHAIR BACK!!! to
Majordumbo!!!

Bye Bye all you Armchairians

STEFFEN

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 02:26:09 -0400
From: Dean Drouillard <droulard@MNSi.Net>
Subject: about the t's

Hi there folks,

        This will be my last posting on the Magical Armchair.  I wanted,
however, to propose something to any willing artists or designers out there.
I was the person who originally posted the idea about the Magical Armchair
t-shirts.  I received a great amount of interest from many of you on this
list, and I appreciate it a ton.  Unfortunately, I do not have the time to
put this together (band keeps me pretty busy).  I would suggest to any other
willing and resourceful person to take the baton I am passing on.  It would
be quite lucrative, but be fair - we're all here for each other.  If anyone
decides to do it, email me.  I'LL BUY ONE FROM YOU!
        As far as the Armchair goes - It's time to get up and sit somewhere
else.  I haven't the time or patience to read Armchairs the length of Gone
with The Wind.  But it was fun while it was small.  There's just too much to
read.  See ya!

				Dean Drouillard
				RACECAR  (Windsor, Ontario, CANADA)
				http://www.mnsi.net/~racecar
				droulard@mnsi.net

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 22:08:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: koenij22@vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu
Subject: Re:Babbling Rules!!!

Hello Fello-Fivers!!

	It's Joel, and he's here to babble. I'm in between papers right now,
and need to take a break.  If you don't read further, I won't be offended.
- -
- ------	All this talk about the "HBO 2 Show". Whoever finds out the date,
Please let us all know immediately.\

- -------	You know what I love about this list?  When someone writes
something stupid, you can be guarenteed of seeing about 10 bitchy replies
the next day.  Everyone's a critic!!(not like that's bad or anything).

- -------	MILWAUKEE show.... So excited.  I'm dragging about ten of my
friends down with me.  Hopefully they'll see the light.

- -------	I'm confused.  Everytime I read a concert review, you people
describe the thing like it's better than sex.  I'm hoping you're right.
There wouldn't be a bias involved would there?

- -------	It sounds like Komeda kinda stinks?  I think you all were just
trying to be nice when you wrote "...they were pretty good."

- -------	And by the way, to those of you who submit, just like to let you
know that there ARE people who read every letter.(at least I do)

	Well, I got to get back to the books. Peace out people!

Hope all is well,

	"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue."
					--Airplane!!
Joel the baker <koenij22@uwosh.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 05:11:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Shan111111@aol.com
Subject: SORRY SORRY SORRY

OOPS!!
Sorry yall!!

I sent a message from a friend of mine (fwd)...it was an accident, I swear!!
I'm in the middle of finals and all is strange around here, gremlins in my
computer or something.  Sob.  I am truely embarrased for my mistake.  sniff.

oh, and I like the name fivers

and...I heard the begining of BOWCCL on Leno the other night (at the begining
of some segment)

Sorry again, I should be punished.  That's what I get for sending mail at
2am...

shanna

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 10:34:02 +0100
From: Mark Piper (PWA) <pipermf@ugs1.ph.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Names / "Ultimate Sacrifice" / Bootleg List

Hey listees,

Ben Clasen wrote:

> how about "walters" or "franks kids" or "biff(er)s" or "ben heads"

Believe me, in the UK, we'd rather not be called "biffers" >8)
For the benefit of 90% of you, "biffer" is a word commonly used (at
least in more northern parts) to describe a woman possessed of rather
unattractive features. But hey, thanks for making me laugh so loud.
Which reminds me, is Radcliffe back on next week?

Ooh, how about "The Frank & Walters"?....Oh, dang, been done.. >8)

A few people have mentioned "Ultimate Sacrifice". Is this the Slayer cover that has been referred to occasionally?

I notice that people have been busy taping, and as I maintain a small, but I like to think perfectly formed BFF bootleg list on my web pages, would anyone be so kind as to email me details (venue, date, setlist) for any shows they may have recorded and ar
e in, or destined to be in, the public domain? Cheers. In fact, take a look at my page (www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/bff.html), and please inform me if you own any bootlegs that aren't listed. Ta.

Coo, my first post under a Labour goverment...... >8?

Mark