Issue #283 - May 4, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest      Sunday, May 4 1997      Volume 01 : Number 283

PLEASE OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING:

     * DO NOT send unsubscribe requests to the posting address!!
       Send all administrative requests to
            armchair-request@maillist.il.ft.hse.nl
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "Magical Armchair Digest, Volume X, Issue #nnn").
     * Keep your posts short. Remember, you are writing to over a thousand
       people. Long posts tend to ramble. Reread your message before
       sending it!
     * DON'T quote excessively, OR QUOTE THE ENTIRE DIGEST, when
       replying. Edit your quote to only the line or lines you are
       replying to. Remember, unlike Usenet, everyone's already seen the
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 20:48:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ranvac@aol.com
Subject: just wanted to say hey and BFF rock

Hello my fellow Fivers or Armcharians or Bennies of, if we really must,
Beanie Bennies! I've got my vote for the cover...how bout something by the
Toasters.  I'm not particular but they have some awesome piano stuff going in
their music.  Ben could really rock on that.  I'm soooo psyched for HORDE.  I
can't believe three of my favorite bands are going to be there!! I'm
listening to SOul Coughing at this very moment to prepare.  anyone from
Kansas out there who knows when it's coming to our oh-so-lovely state?  And
finally, I wanted to let you all know that you guys rock and I LOVE reading
the Armchair, even though Frank is no longer putting in the quotes (sigh).
 bye for now
anna
"she smiles and it's a rainbow"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 20:57:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: AGurley9@aol.com
Subject: A Quick Question and an inappropriate letter in the last digest

Quick question--
   Does anyone know where I can get a BF5 sticker?? I've seen one but it was
kind of big--any ideas??
 And in the last digest, written as follows...
     <<So...I pulled out my trusty pen, and proudly created my own
write-in blank space, and filled it in with "Satan Is My Master">>
          was very offensive--you should reconsider your writings Alan.
Thanks--BF5 fan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 21:53:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: NakedVegan@aol.com
Subject: Get your cover nominations in NOW

I'm gonna stop taking cover nominations Wednesday at noon, so GET YOUR
NOMINATIONS INTO ME NOW!  By Wednesday, you will have had two and a half
weeks to send in your request, but I just know that some people are gonna
whine about not getting to send their nomination in, so DO IT NOW!

For those of you who have somehow missed my last several posts on this
topic, I'm collecting nominations for songs we'd like to see BF5 cover.
Once I have the list of nominations, I'll send out a ballot to the whole
Armchair with voting instructions so we can pick our favorite songs.
I'll submit a list of winning songs to the band, and who knows, maybe
they'll honor us by playing one of the songs we select.

You ***MUST*** send your ONE cover song nomination (title & artist)
DIRECTLY TO ME!  I will NOT count suggestions that are posted only to the
armchair mailing list.

Thanks,  -- Michael Bluejay

| bluejay@pobox.com         | If adding me to your address book,        |
|                           | please use this address.                  |
|---------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
| http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE, BIKING |
|                           |   IN AUSTIN, VEGETARIAN pages, & more     |

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 21:53:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: PERCYSTAR@aol.com
Subject: Fiver Folder

Dear Fivers... Hi.  A really awesome review of the Cleveland show appeared in
Cleveland's Scene magazine (a free newspaper type publication).  The author's
most poignant remark, that all of us Fivers have acknowledged and live by,
justified BF5's pop success: "Most of the folks that you are hearing on radio
today are just the flavor of the day and will be answers to trivia questions
tomorrow, but [BF5] easily have the stuff to beat the odds and be around for
quite some time.  They are worthy" (Lee Barrish, Scene magazine Apr. 30).
 Also, I recently tried to buy tix for the Pitts. show  and was informed that
it is changed to June 1.  Some internet sites still are listing it as June 2.
 Don't be fooled.  Darren rocks the world.   -Heather

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 21:58:51 -0400
From: Shaun Gilmour <sgilmour@pgh.net>
Subject: Cleveland tree structure on the web

For those of you who missed the structure posting for the Cleveland tree
it's located here:

http://www3.pgh.net/~sgilmour/bftree.html

- --
Later,
Shaun
Shaun Gilmour                Visit my tapelist on the web!!!
sgilmour@pgh.net       http://www3.pgh.net/~sgilmour/tapes.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 23:00:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Mr. X" <boinkum@voicenet.com>
Subject: Nice thing about Philly show...

        Yup, another damn take on the Philly show.  Here goes...

        First, I though that i was pretty lucky to get some real estate on
the stage, better than that though was when the stage crew moved the Ben's
piano right up to the edge where i was standing.  (I think he spit on me at
one point, accidentally).  Crazy.  Hope i didn't hurt anyone out there with
my hair, if so -  sorry!

        Secondly, I don't know what kind of play BF5 get in other areas, but
in Philly they were first (and so far only?) broken sometime last spring on
88.5 WXPN "Member-Supported Commercial-Free Radio from the University of
Pennsylvania" (God Bless 'em).  I was glad to hear Ben mention his
appreciation of 'XPN;  in light of their growing commecial status -
especially when I found out that our local music-overplaying bloodsucking
big-brother alterna-corporate station had sent out some thugs at the last
minute to hand out "If you like the Ben Folds Five, then call our request
lines right now!" leaflets at the end of the show.  Worse, they amused
themselves by throwing this dribble around the room at high velocities
towards the crowd (who at first thought they were stickers) With the net
result of thouroughly pissing me off, and striking several of my friends in
their heads.  Luckilly, no one lost any eyesight.

        Anyway, if commercial radio is a necessary evil in today's society,
it is at least good to know that the artists they try to destroy still
remember those who appreciate them for more than their potential Arbitron
ratings.

        Lastly, everyone's mentioned "the big song"  (which kicked butt),
but forgotten Ben's impromptu (?) Snoop-Doggy-Dog rap to the bass line of a
Black Sabbath song whose title now escapes me.  Is this a regular bit?

        -Nels

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 22:56:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alanica@aol.com
Subject: Re: bFF nAMES

How about we call ourselves Roeses. Ok, this is just a suggestion, but you
know how in "Kate," it goes " walks through the garden/so the roses can
see..." Well, BFF is our garden and we are their roses. Make sence? Well, I
gotta get some sleep, so I can get up early to drive to Atlanta, to catch the
show. Oh! I like the " Armchais Pilots" . It's pretty neat!

take care-
Alanica

"all is quiet......."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 23:29:02 +0100
From: lambent <lambent@fast.net>
Subject: BoWCCL as background music

Well, I was just watching the Late Show with David Letterman.  And when
they cut out to a commercial and the band played them off, it was BoWCCL.

I dunno, it just seemed cool.

lambent@fast.net

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 01:10:57 -0700
From: "Joseph F. Wayand" <jwayand@neo.lrun.com>
Subject: Interpretation of Brick

Hello all,

  I'm brand-new to the list and have a question. What's "Brick" about?
In his interview, Ben said it was obvious. Can someone clue me in?

   And has anyone made any BFF midi files? I'm going to try to make one
myself, probably "Underground".

Joe

jwayand@kent.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 02:15:03 -0400
From: Shaun Gilmour <sgilmour@pgh.net>
Subject: re: Philly show stuff

> Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 10:22:09 -0400 (EDT)
> From: RnRinDC@aol.com
> Subject: Re: Philly show
>
> Taping - I got there in the middle of Philosophy - the place was packed and
> it was hot as hell in there.  Because of all that, I had really hard time
> setting up the mics.  I also couldn't get to a good spot on the floor and had
> to stay about 250 feet from the PA which is far from optimal.

That's surprising. Their soundguy was really cool about me taping and
made sure that I got a good spot right in front of the board.

> There were a
> set of shotgun mics setup by the soundboard, and I did see a pair of DAT's
> rolling.  I talked to the guy who came down from the sbd.  He said he worked
> for the TLA and he thought that the taping equipment belonged to the band.

Yes this is true. They are recording all their shows now. I was told by
a non-BFF
staff person who talked to someone about those and they told him that
they are
recording the shows for a possible live album. This is all rumor though.
Like I
said I didn't hear it from anyone directly IN BFF's organization, but
apparently
this guy had.

PS> I'm a HUGE BNL fan. And my band covers a bunch of BNL songs.

- --

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 03:09:37 -0400 ()
From: "Oren M. Magid" <omm8y@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: WNL show

just got back from the show. awesome.  can't write for long
because i have a huge final to study for.  I met ben.
talked to him. i asked him to play evaporated and he said
he'd talk to the guys about it, but not to plan on it. the
guys (daren and robert) apparently don't like the song too
much.  overall, it was a great show, lots of energy, but
not a huge crowd.

Oren Magid

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 08:20:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Yoda90210@aol.com
Subject: Bah!

<< i think--someone yelled something to him and he said "that's
 'sexy motherfucker' to you!" robert broke his bass strap during 1AD (i think
 that's what it was)from bouncing around so much, so ben & darren launched
 into something that eventually turned into "free bird" (skynyrd!) >>

NOOOOOOO!!!!

*i* was the one who did sexy motherfucker at the chicago show!
and i was the one shouting for free bird at the chicago show!!!

WHHHHYYYYYYYY????????

Damn it, ben.

lv,
s.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 11:18:13 -0400
From: Kieran Cox <krocox@UDel.Edu>
Subject: DC show?

On the BFF home page, it says they're playing at the 9:30 club in DC on May
30.  But, curiously enough, on the "9:30 club" home page, it doesn't have
them listed.  Hmmm, odd.  Does anyone know what the deal with that is?

Kro

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 18:09:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From: christer.keulemans@mailbox.swipnet.se (Christina Keulemans)
Subject: BFF fans: MAIL ME!

Hello everyone!

I'm 17 and come from Sweden.
I would like to have e-mail from other Ben Fold Five fans

MAIL ME: christer.keulemans@mailbox.swipnet.se

Christina

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 13:28:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: JoanneQ@aol.com
Subject: Re: TLA show in Phila.

     Just a quick review of the Phila show.  O f course it was great, it was
the second time we'd seen them and they were even better this time than
before.  Highlights were Brick, Selfless Cold and Composed, Kate and The Big
Song (not to be confused with the Bitch song).  My wife and I were right up
front, had a great view of Robert and now have a real appreciation for his
bass-playing.  We didn't hang around after the show to try to talk to them,
but we shook Ben's hand when we saw him at the Khyber Pass last year-he was
greeting people as they left the club.  That was the first time we had ever
seen that.  Can't wait to see them again.
     Also, for those of you who taped the show, we would love to get a copy.

                           Jeff and Joanne

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 13:31:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: jsk2@acpub.duke.edu (Jason Karam)
Subject: T-shirts

Hello, all! I'm Jason Karam, and I was one of the people interested in
buying a T-shirt from Dean Drouillard <droulard@MNSi.Net>. With his
departure from the list, the T-shirt idea may be in limbo, but I'll organize
it if you fellow fans send me some e-mail expressing interest. Here is my
predicament: I am no artist. If anyone would be willing to do the armchair
art, I could piece together a T-shirt, screen it, print it, ship it, etc. I
have produced a couple of T-shirts for groups and clubs here at my school,
and they turned out well (and they were reasonably cheap.) If you might have
an interest in designing the art, please e-mail me a note saying so with the
subject "BFF - ARMCHAIR ART." If you might have an interest in buying one of
these, please tell me so with an e-mail with subject "BFF - T-SHIRT."
Remember, please send these messages to me (jsk2@acpub.duke.edu) and not to
the Magical Armchair. Keep the Armchair a peaceful place,

Jay

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 14:03:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: BEEFTODD@aol.com
Subject: Cheeky ben in Sheffield

Reet swear a God.  Went to Sheffield to see concert in'it.  Park car outside
leadmill in cheeky space.  Car not taxi, "Drop off Swan, pick up Monksy".  Go
inside, listen to muzik from Ben and his best mates.  Come back outside see
cheeky flashing lights on car, ruuuuuude.  Car not gambling machine, don't
need change for taxi fare. Put 10 dolla in, get 50p out, good winning init.
Cheeky.  Anyway, flashing car lights, window smashed, stereo outta here, mob
gone init.  Taxi man not happy.  Yeah brick in'it, both in car and in
concert, curry for tea. Rude. Happy new year mon.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 15:49:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: ShirowFan@aol.com
Subject: Lawrence show and stuff

Stalking can be fun!! I got to the show about 6:30,( the show was at 8:00)
and grabbed the stage, right next to the base set up. All right, i won't bore
you with the details, but the opening band was the worst music I'D EVER HEARD
 (aside from John Spencer Blues explosion or Grateful Dead). Ben was great.
yadda yadda yadda. Got all their autographs, chatted with them. Go see them
in concert. whee!!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 16:02:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Lunasa1@aol.com
Subject: newbies

To everyone loudly unsubscribing to the Armchair, go join the Heaven's Gate
list -- I hear they're hurtin' for members (If you really loved BFF, I
wouldn't have to be so mean).
I'm sure Darren, Ben and Robt. don't find success nearly as distasteful as
you folks do.
I first heard BFF on K-Rock -- God help me, but that does not make me a
wanker!

Luna

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 17:23:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Folds5@aol.com
Subject: queen folds five

Just a quick note. I have to agree with the Bohemian Rhapsody idea for a
cover. I think they could do it justice.We could all join in for the opera
part in the middle.

"I leave you with no quote."  Me