Issue #284 - May 5, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest      Monday, May 5 1997      Volume 01 : Number 284

PLEASE OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING:

     * DO NOT send unsubscribe requests to the posting address!!
       Send all administrative requests to
            armchair-request@maillist.il.ft.hse.nl
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "Magical Armchair Digest, Volume X, Issue #nnn").
     * Keep your posts short. Remember, you are writing to over a thousand
       people. Long posts tend to ramble. Reread your message before
       sending it!
     * DON'T quote excessively, OR QUOTE THE ENTIRE DIGEST, when
       replying. Edit your quote to only the line or lines you are
       replying to. Remember, unlike Usenet, everyone's already seen the
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 21:05:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: FineExampl@aol.com
Subject: lousy cover suggestion

ok, i 100% disagree with the suggestion for bohemian rhapsody!  ok, it might
be cool for a cover to be done, but just picture Ben singing it!  it just
doesnt click!  how about Jackson Browne??  those are right up the ol cover
alley!!!  although if i ever find out Ben covered BR i will eat my words!!

i still think that the ultimate sacrifice was the all time coolest song at
the Irving Plaza show.....even if the asshole bouncer confiscated my film!! i
had great shots!!   if anyone can hook me up with a bootleg either audio or
video of listenable quality i will reward them handsomely!

i love the new Tshirt designs!!! very classy!!

always,
JOhn Hartman   NJ   USA

{{{and people with ADHD dont need to be at concerts harassing my friends}}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 21:27:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Qualitease@aol.com
Subject: Beat the Wednesday deadline

Well, seeing as how time is running out, I vote for "Dirty Work", by Steely
Dan, as a Ben Folds Five cover song.
     ~Alan

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 21:50:18 -0400
From: lpd105@psu.edu
Subject: ben folds five in pittsburgh

i was just reading the pittsburgh post gazette and it appears they changed
the date for the show in pittsburgh.  on their web site it has them playing
the 2nd.  however, it the paper it showed them playing on the 1st at
metropol and another band playing the 2nd.  does anyone know what is up?

luke

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 22:05:05 -0400
From: Evan Chakroff <chakroff@ee.net>
Subject: armchair / HORDE / mp3

wow, that armchair digest was just as good the second time around! please
quote this whole one too, so I can be sure I don't miss anything!
</SARCASM> Do people even read the stuff at the top?

Anyway, I know this has been asked a thousand times before, but Who is
touring with HORDE? and Where can I find more info? Thanks.

Also, does ANYONE have the address for the site with the b-sides of BowCCL
in mp3 format??? I must know! Thanks.

- -ec

PS- put me down as one vote for "fivers" and negative-five votes for "bennies"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 22:31:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: kw070582@sjuphil.sju.edu (Kristin Whiteman)
Subject: DC Show

To the question posed about the DC Show at the 9:30 Club --

I was asking around about that, and from what I understand, the show is
going to be put on by WHFS (a local station) and is "closed" to the
public. That's why, I was told, it is not listed under 9:30 Club. But if
anyone has heard anything else please share b/c I want to be there too!

Kris

------------------------------

Date: Sat,  3 May 97 22:33:41 PDT
From: evlbison <evlbison@neo.lrun.com>
Subject: RE: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #283

>From: "Joseph F. Wayand" <jwayand@neo.lrun.com>
>Subject: Interpretation of Brick

>Hello all,

>  I'm brand-new to the list and have a question. What's
>"Brick" about?
>In his interview, Ben said it was obvious. Can someone clue
>me in?

>   And has anyone made any BFF midi files? I'm going to try
>to make one
>myself, probably "Underground".

>Joe

Now, before you all get upset about this query, let me
rimind you that he is an official NEWBIE and is allowed TWO
stupid questions. Please? Hey, at least he didn't post an
unsubscribe message to the list, nor did he quote the ENTIRE
last digest. I have said my piece.

Steve

"Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank"
~They Might Be Giants - Everything thats right is wrong
again~

"On the run from Johnny Law... Ain't no trip to Cleveland"
~Dignan - Bottle Rocket~

"He was thrown head over heels into the traffic coming on,
but then all is fair in love"
~Ben Folds Five~

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
~Ash - Army of Darkenss~

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 22:39:41 -0400
From: Joel Mahaffey <toolophile@psu.edu>
Subject: bff bootleg

hi guys & gals

i'm considering getting a bootleg called "ben folds live" ..... anyone
heard it or heard anything about it? any info would be appreciated.

thanks

joel

=== http://www.personal.psu.edu/~jvm113 ===

Date: Sat,  3 May 97 22:39:37 PDT
From: evlbison <evlbison@neo.lrun.com>
Subject: RE: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #282

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?!?! Just ONE "posting" in this
digest, and it's just a reply of the whole last digest?? No
offense Frank, but PLEASE drop MajorDomo. It's getting old.
No one can keep the list like you... and all these newbies
and lame re-posters are driving me NUTS!!!! They can't
figure out how to unsubscribe for themselves?

Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 00:05:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: CMcgr10349@aol.com
Subject: Hello All.... New Member

Hello everyone I just want to say that I am a huge Ben Folds fan and I have
been for about two years, but I'm not going to bore you with all that.  I
hope this dosen't offend anyone but I am looking to pick up some Ben Folds
bootlegs and if anyone wants to trade please e-mail me a list and we can work
something out.  But I will say this I WILL NOT SELL OR BUY any bootlegs
because I do not feel that it is fair to make money on the band's expense.
 If you people are offended by bootlegs in the first place I am sorry but I
would like to get an idea of what they sound like live.  Sorry if I offended
anyone and I'd like to say hi to everyone out there.

Evan

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 00:20:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Sarah C. Altman" <saltman@wesleyan.edu>
Subject: Philly Show

This is slightly belated, but I just wanted to say a few words
about the philly show. I got there extremely early, and I think I was
literally the first person actually inside TLA when they finally let
people in. I was in the front row, right in front of the piano, which kind
of sucked because I couldn't see Darren, or Ben (except when he was
standing up).I had a really great view of the side of the piano itself,
though.... Anyway, the show was great, I loved every second, but I didn't
get to talk to
them, which was I was really hoping to do. I got pushed out by the
security people. To make me extra annoyed with myself, I saw Ben and
Darren wandering around before the
show and I was too shocked to say anything. I think I kind of just stood
there like an idiot with my mouth open. (Maybe you saw me...long
brown hair, purple short-sleeved shirt, black jeans, a ridiculous look on
my face like "okay,
did Ben Folds just walk through the lobby of TLA? Three times?) So how did
all of you who did end up talking to them avoid being shoved onto south
street by the only mildly intimidating security people?
     Sarah

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 16:51:07 +1000
From: hillsey@tpgi.com.au
Subject: please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you please unsubcribe me from this list as it can be quite annoying!
thanks champ.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 03:01:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Marc M. Gainey" <mgainey@ncwc.edu>

Here's an idea for the cover...how about Bus-Stop?  I 'm not sure who
sung it first...it's one of those oldie's that rocks!  It has the
harmonies and lyrics that BFF do so well!

Marc Gainey
mgainey@ncwc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 03:26:26 -0700
From: "Joseph F. Wayand" <jwayand@neo.lrun.com>
Subject: Sorry for being a moron (Brick post)

Hello again, BFF fans...

  I confess to the worst sin you can make on a mailing list... I didn't
lurk long enough before I posted. And I posted something that made me
look an idiot.... a question about Brick. About ten minutes after I sent
that post, I found the Archives, read a few digests, and said, "oh
crap."  or something to that effect.  So please accept my apology. I'm
happy to say no one even flamed me for that... Armchair people is good
folks.

Joe
jwayand@kent.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 May 97 01:41:00 PDT
From: "Michelle" <mms@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Who are we and what should they play?

I think we should be called Benfoldians... can be used as a noun or as an
adjective.

And I think a really cool song for them to cover would be "Rock Me Amadeus"
by Falco.

It's late, I'm tired... when I read this posting tomorrow I'll probably
think I was being really, really silly.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Michelle

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 05:56:52 -0500 (CDT)
From: William Christopher Kane <kanew1@mies.wustl.edu>
Subject: re: for those of y'all who liked komeda (fwd)

> Got a pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-party going on...How about those
> white jumpsuits/orange straight-outta-oasis bass player?

the jumpsuits- cool.

straight outta oasis?  not quite.  marcus- the bass player (along with the
rest of the band) is much cooler than anyone from oasis...  and their
music kicks that of oasis in the ass!  they were awesome live!

i sort of sneaked backstage after komeda's set at the st. louis show and
got to talk with the band for a little bit.  they were all really cool and
really friendly- and it was really nice of them to let me stay there and
talk with them (in swedish too!), instead of kicking me out while they
were packing up all their stuff...

and then after the main act, while the bouncers and whoever were kicking
everyone out of the club, i stuck around for a bit and got to talk to ben
when he came out from backstage!  we talked for a minute about the
lollapalooza show they played in vermont last summer, he signed some stuff
for a couple of people and talked for a little bit, but then we had to
leave.  he was really nice, he signed everything the people there asked
him too, he posed for pictures, etc.  pretty cool, if you ask me...

schnikty snooch.
chris

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 09:27:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Fagan <john17cd@bc.seflin.org>
Subject: Where does Ben live ?

    I'm just curious at this stage in Ben's career.  Does Ben make a lot
of money ?  Is he a millionaire ? Where does he reside...in North
Carolina?  Is it a fancy secluded house ?  Just curious about the lives
of the rich and semi-famous.

When is Ben coming to Florida too ?

What is the new single from the album ?

John Fagan
john17cd@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 11:05:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hilarie Surrena <walflowr@Op.Net>
Subject: Philly review

	I just wanted to say that the show in Philadelphia last Wednesday
was the BEST show that I have ever been too.  Also, in yesterday's edition
of the Philadelphia Inquirer, there was an excellent review of the show!!
The title of the review was "The Ever-Surprising Ben Folds Five at TLA."
It really praised the band.  I think my favorite aspect of the show were
all the inprovs.  They were a riot!!  The whole show was just amazing!!
Oh, and 88.5FM plays "Battle of Who Could Care Less," "Brick," and my
favorite "Steven's Last Night in Town."  The video for "Battle of Who Could
Care Less" is shown on MTV2.
								Hil

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 09:15:16 -0600
From: Shawn Huckaby <BShawn@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: ENDLESS QUOTING!!!!

OK, if someone doesn't take over administering this list very soon, I'm
outta here.  People who are too stupid to even understand their email
software are seriously ruining this forum.  I refuse to read another two
line message that quotes the ENTIRE previous digest.

Wake up people, or it's over.

The band still rocks, but this list is getting unbearable.

Shawn Huckaby

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 15:16:21 -0400
From: santonan@student.umass.edu
Subject: MA #283

Hey, just thought I'd make a little post in response to a letter in MA
#283..the one about the "inappropriate" letter. "Satan Is My Master" is a
song that BFF released as a b-side on one of their singles..I'm sure the
person who put it on for a prom song nomination did it all in good fun.

Sarah :)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 17:32:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rhubarbguy@aol.com

<< Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 11:18:13 -0400
 From: Kieran Cox <krocox@UDel.Edu>

 On the BFF home page, it says they're playing at the 9:30 club in DC on May
 30.  But, curiously enough, on the "9:30 club" home page, it doesn't have
 them listed.  Hmmm, odd.  Does anyone know what the deal with that is?

 Kro

 The show is definite.  The 9:30 Club site will be updated on Wednesday
afternoon.  Don't know the price yet, but it will surely be a dandy show.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 16:50:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: sam jacob lewis <sjlewis@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Name game/Cover song/What??

Hi y'all - Shit yah it's cool!

1) We should be called "Benathaic Folder Fivathorers" or maybe
"Fivefoldians" or maybe "The Brick Layers" or maybe "The Angry Dwarfs"or
maybe "The people who like Ben Folds Five so much that they spend 4 hours
a day reading and posting the Armchair, an online digest dedicated to the
band".  Let's vote, eh?

2) Africa by Toto!! - Best 80's explosion song of all times plus Ben totally
rips this song off (or borrows or by some coincidence uses the same
progression).  The progression from the chorus (E-C-G-D) is used
in "Eddie Walker, This is Your Life" at the end where he goes "Nho-no no no
wo-oh wooa".

This would rule!!!

3) AGurley9@aol.com wrote:

>A Quick Question and an inappropriate letter in the last digest

<snipee>

> And in the last digest, written as follows...
     <<So...I pulled out my trusty pen, and proudly created my own
     write-in blank space, and filled it in with "Satan Is My Master">>
  was very offensive--you should reconsider your writings Alan.
Thanks--BF5 fan

WHAT!!?  Did I miss something?  Satan is My Master is a song by BFF that
they used to play on the last tour - Now the Ultimate Sacrafice seems to
be their new ode to beelzeebub.  Maybe you knew that and you were just
insulted 'cause you're on the student council at your school and were
offended by his willingness to scare unsuspecting student council members.
Nonetheless - why were you offended, inquiring minds wanna know?

Thanks for reading, this has been my 2 dollars worth of shtuff

Sam Folds His Laundry Five Times