Issue #286 - May 6, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest      Tuesday, May 6 1997      Volume 01 : Number 286

PLEASE OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING:

     * DO NOT send unsubscribe requests to the posting address!!
       Send all administrative requests to
            armchair-request@maillist.il.ft.hse.nl
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "Magical Armchair Digest, Volume X, Issue #nnn").
     * Keep your posts short. Remember, you are writing to over a thousand
       people. Long posts tend to ramble. Reread your message before
       sending it!
     * DON'T quote excessively, OR QUOTE THE ENTIRE DIGEST, when
       replying. Edit your quote to only the line or lines you are
       replying to. Remember, unlike Usenet, everyone's already seen the
Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 20:10:40 -0500
From: Geoffrey McNulty <gmcnulty@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: bff bootleg

DO NOT BUY this "bootleg." it is not a bootleg at all, but a german pressing
of the s/t album (exactly the same as the domestic version) with "ben folds
five" misprinted as "ben folds live." this was discussed a long long time
ago, somewhere around digest #25 or so (yes, i have been here from almost
the very beginning. i think my first issue was digest #10).

geoff

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 21:34:50 -0400
From: Kieran Cox <krocox@UDel.Edu>
Subject: Africa and flamers

I gotta vote with Sam Jacobs!!  Africa, by Toto would be an excellent
cover!!

And thanks to those who answered my questions about the DC show.  It's just
amazing how descent people can be!! Hope to see you there.

And to all the flamers about double posts and unsubscribes and Brick and
anything - shut up and get over the little problems.  It's getting
annoying.  (Although this is a little hypocritical considering I'm doing a
little flaming myself.  OK, from now on, no more flaming.  I mean, how old
are we here?!)

Kro

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 21:44:15 -0400
From: David Beck <drbeck@ibm.net>
Subject: complaints and boots

i am not one to complain, but, HOW DUMB ARE SOME OF YOU? i know its hard
to notice the pages of the old armchair when you make your unsubscribing
statements, but PLEASE DELETE ALL THE PAST CRAP! if an entire new
armchair contains just the past armchair and one reply, i think to
myself, this better be good, like, really bodacious! but i get to the
end of the list, and it is always just an unsubscribe statement, or a
brick observance! believe me, you don't realize how fun it is to read
things twice, but...im sorry, im getting out of hand.

BOOTLEGS BOOTLEGS BOOTLEGS BOOTLEGS BOOTLEGS BOOTLEGS BOOTLEGS BOOTLEGS

THAT'S RIGHT, I KNOW I CAUGHT YOUR EYE! I NEED ANY AND ALL BOOTLEGS FROM
ANYONE, AS LONG AS IT IS HALF-PROFESSIONAL. VIDEO OR AUDIO, ILL PAY THE
PRICE FOR THE SACRED BOOTY! E ME FOR INFO.

officer friendly

ps HORDE=i live in oh, is horder ever going to come here, cause i dont
have any dates yet...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 22:40:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: FHudetz@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #284

<< FineExampl@aol.com >>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 00:23:02 -0400
From: Shaun Gilmour <sgilmour@pgh.net>
Subject: re: Pittsburgh show

The date for the show in Pittsburgh at Metropol has officially been
changed to Sunday the 1st instead of Monday the 2nd.

Heard it on the radio the other day.

Can someone tell me why this group Hanson even exists? They don't even
have hair on their balls yet and they've got a recording contract,
although neither did Michael Jackson (and he probably still doesn't!)
What in the hell can they possibly have to write lyrics about?
- --
Later,
Shaun
Shaun Gilmour                Visit my tapelist on the web!!!
sgilmour@pgh.net       http://www3.pgh.net/~sgilmour/tapes.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 01:07:12 -0400
From: Nick <monkeyman@thespis.com>
Subject: Atlanta Show was Great.

Hey everyone,
The show on Sat. was totaly awesome. I would like to say hi to all of the
Armchair members who made the trek. You guys rock. I was the one who had the
big Orange sign with the computer generated pictures on it, which by the way
is now autographed by each member under his respective picture. When I got
to the autograph booth they were about to leave and I almost missed them but
I yelled "Hey Robert can you sign this really quick" and he turned around
and saw me and my poster and said "holy shit! This is cool" and then he
called Ben and Darren over to sign it and once again I was honored with the
opportunity to speak to the great Ben Folds for about 5 minutes. He is the
nicest guy in the entire world for those of you who have never gotten to
meet him. Anyway's I have pictures that will be developed tomorrow(about 36
of BFF others of Flemming and John, Cowboy Mouth, Cake, Cheep Trick, Etc.)
and I will put them on my web page as soon as I can Get the money to scan
them all. Also I made a bootleg recording of the show but have not had the
opportunity to listen to it yet to see if it came out well. I will update
you guys on the quality soon but I can tell you that it is mono not stereo
and probably sounds more like an audience singing BFF songs than Ben, but I
know that a few of the songs came out well (song for the dumped). Well gotta
go. Write me if you have any questions.

Nick
monkeyman@thespis.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 01:48:20 -0400
From: Brian Greer <tekneek@atl.mindspring.com>
Subject: I just saw them...

        I had the distinct pleasure of seeing the band Ben Folds Five this
weekend at the Midtown Music Festival here in Atlanta, GA. I had heard a
couple songs by them on our local "alternative/modern rock" commercial
station (99X), so I decided they were definitely worth checking out...

        It started, with the piano, and so on... my girlfriend decided that
she couldn't tolerate anymore "banging on a piano" and headed off to look at
other things...and many people grunted and moaned because there were no
guitars and the music seemed to require more from the listeners than the
random 'crowd surfing' and 'moshing' they commonly engaged in (i.e., a big
group of morons).... I already knew I liked the band a lot.

        As the show went on, and Ben jumped off the piano, knocked the mic
stand over, engaged in various "rock star" antics, and the lyrics/sound
pounded into me... I was hooked.

        To make a long story short, what I thought might be an interesting
45 minutes turned out to be a FANTASTIC set from this band that has quickly
become one of my newest favorite bands... Contrary to a lot of the
comparisons people (at least around here) have made about them I found them
to have a little bit more in common with bands from the early 70s that still
used pianos and stuff (such as some of the more art-rock things, like early
Genesis perhaps) or even Joe Jackson a little.

        Anyways, they were great, and I want to pick up their 2 cds tomorrow
night. I also saw Squirrel Nut Zippers and Cake who I believe are also from
Chapel Hill... Glad to be able to find an e-mail list and sorry if I made no
sense...

Thanks for your time,
Brian.

P.S. I am watching their segments on MTV's 120 Minutes right now, and the
video for "Uncle Walter" is on right now...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 05:25:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: KDM92772@aol.com
Subject: Fivers

hey....

just thought i would comment.  Someone suggested "Fivers" as a "group name"
for us BF5 fans, and I almost laughed myself silly.  Fiver is the name of my
dog.  Named, however, after "Watership Down," an awesome book, and not BF5.
 And all I could picture was a whole audience full of Llasa-poos (which look
like tiny, 4-legged ewoks, by the way) barking and freaking out to BF5.  A
very weird image, had to share.
but anyway...just got done watching the guys on 120.  cool that they played
the Uncle Walter video. Now I have it on tape!  Now if someone would just
tell Darren not to talk so damn much!

later friends...

Kristin
"First you cook...and then you chill." --Barry and LeVon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 05:43:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: BEEFTODD@aol.com
Subject: Yeah you've got a pineapple on yer head

OK,  cover songs that Big Bad Ben and his buddies should do.  How about:

Hallelujah- Happy Mondays
Two Little Boys- Rolf Harris
Fadge ya coint- Beef Todds Big Band
Cheeky Men- Sangam

Honest that you've ever heard many of these but Sangam is funked up to the
max.  I actually think Ben is Bez out of The Happy Mondays, Black Grape etc
(little Baby Bez-Deeve), but what would I know?  Or maybe Billy Crystal? Eh?
 The problem is, when am I serious?  Answers on a postcard to
Winny0001@AOL.com

As a name for followers of Ben Folds Five, how about Nev's Stamp Collectors?
 Think about it for a bit and the penny should drop.  If you still can't work
it out then never mind.

Upon departing I should just clarify things a little by stating that "Every
silver lining has a cloud..................you'd better SMILE"

See ya.

Sven.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 07:31:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Antigone19@aol.com
Subject: What we could call ourselves...

I vote for "Folders."  No, I'm kidding.  Maybe.  I thought "Beanie Bennies"
was hysterical, but isn't a "Bennie" some sort of drug?

- - Marla Antigone

http://members.aol.com/antigone19/home/home.htm

Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 06:45:22 -0500
From: Dan Mauer <dmauer@earthlink.net>
Subject: Hypocritical whining, HBO, Chicago and stuff.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS:

> From: evlbison <evlbison@neo.lrun.com>
> Subject: RE: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #282
> WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?!?! Just ONE "posting" in this
> digest, and it's just a reply of the whole last digest?? No
> offense Frank, but PLEASE drop MajorDomo. It's getting old.
> No one can keep the list like you... and all these newbies
> and lame re-posters are driving me NUTS!!!! They can't
> figure out how to unsubscribe for themselves?

1) newbies and lame re-posters, etc.: please don't give other people
crap for not reading the list headers carefully.  Obviously, by giving
no subject to your posting, you are guilty of the same crime.
2) speaking of armchair ettiquette, you're breaking two more rules
here.  First, you are repeating something that has been said a hundred
times.  Second, you are posting a message containing no BFF content.

Please think before posting your frustrations.

That out of the way, here's my BFF stuff.

I remember reading (I believe it was here) that the reason a studio
recording of Emaline has not yet been released was that the band wanted
to use a guitar for the song, so it was gonna show on the forthcoming
weird stuff / live cuts album.  I was wondering if anyone knew: does
this mean they plan to do the song Majosha style -- meaning that the
MAIN instrument in the song is an acoustic guitar?  Or are we talking
about a guitar as a backup instrument?  Kinda an obscure, rather
unanswerable little question, I know.  but whatever. Also speaking of
the forthcoming release... I know it's supposed to include rare stuff.
Does this mean we might actually be blessed with polished, suped-up CD
recordings of such great tunes as Rocky, Protection and Eddie Walker?

OK.  Now for HBO.  I understand the NY concert is going to be aired on
Reverb. I know just about nothing about this show -- are we talking a
full-length, unedited rebroadcast of the entire show here?  And on the
subject... does anyone have a date for this?

Finally.... (yeah, I know it's a long post... I haven't posted in a
while, though, so bear with me)... is there still no news on the local
TV broadcast of the chicago show?  If a time/date has yet been announced
(or a way to get the show on tape, for that matter), we chicagoans would
love for someone to post that info!

Yours brutally,
- -dan.

- --
      _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._            _.,-*~'`^'`~*-,_
dmauer@earthlink.net
                       `~-,_     '`        _.,     `~-,_               _
        Daniel P. Mauer     `'~*-,._.,-*~'`             `'~*-,._.,-*~'`
       "Maybe just once I'll get what's coming to me."  -Trent Reznor
	  Naked Harmony Homepage: http://home.earthlink.net/~dmauer/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 08:03:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: "D . Hokanson" <hokansod@goldey.gbc.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #279

Philly show review
>             Ok heres my review of the show.
>    Ok first off....while i was standing in line at about 6:30 to get
> into the TLA Ben came out with Kate ....he walked right by but i was too
> nervous to try to talk to him...i think only about 2 other people
> recognized him.....he came back and then he went out again about 15
> minutes later he came out again.(im gonna be kicking myself in the ass
> forever for not talking to him)

I was first in line (except for the three people that decided to walk
right past me and wait in the lobby).  I got there at 6.  I saw Ben walk
out several times also.  I recognized him -- just didn't know what to say.

>        then some one shouted out "PLAY THE BIG SONG!" so ben said ok and
> jammed and sang " this is the big song" and robert and darren joined in
> and it rocked...it could accually be a song on an album i think. iT HAD
> POTENTIAL. Any way...they sang BOWCCL and afterwards, ben said "the
> f****** franklin mint is here" and then he asked if anyone worked there
> and i yelled really loud "MY DOG DOES!" and robert looked at me really
> quick with a surprised look on his face COOL .

The guy asked for "The Bitch Song"  He came down with Scott from the
mailing list.  Scott -- if you read this tell them the story.  It was
funny.  But Ben made up "The Big Song"

By the way did anyone get the whole 120 minutes taped. My tv guide and vcr
plus said that 120 minuts was from 12-1:30.  So I upped it to 1:40 just in
case my clock was a little off.  Unfortunately my tape ended with Matt
saying they'll be back with more BFF and an old video.  If anyone that got
it would make me a copy, I'd appreciate it.  Email me
hokansod@goldey.gbc.edu.

Donna

I need her as my lover like I need another hole in my head
                        -MARTIN SEXTON (Candy)
			From his CD "Black Sheep"