Issue #292 - May 8, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Thursday, May 8 1997     Volume 01 : Number 292

PLEASE OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING:

     * DO NOT send unsubscribe requests to the posting address!!
       Send all administrative requests to
            armchair-request@maillist.il.ft.hse.nl
     * Change the subject of your reply to something pertaining to your
       message (not "Magical Armchair Digest, Volume X, Issue #nnn").
     * Keep your posts short. Remember, you are writing to over a thousand
       people. Long posts tend to ramble. Reread your message before
       sending it!
     * DON'T quote excessively, OR QUOTE THE ENTIRE DIGEST, when
       replying. Edit your quote to only the line or lines you are
       replying to. Remember, unlike Usenet, everyone's already seen the
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 09:16:24
From: zerocool@magg.net
Subject: Ben Folds Five

I am a faithful armchair reader and have been so for almost 1year now. This
message is directed to those people who are so unsatisfied with the
armchair that they need to unsubscribe. Maybe if you people took the time
to look at the bottem of the digest where it says

   Send administrative requests to: armchair-request@maillist.il.ft.hse.nl

then you could unsubscribe quietly and the amt of flames you are igniting
on the mailing list would stop. It is just pure netiquette. Don't ruin a
good thing for the rest of the people on the list who enjoy reading it. It
is really hard for some of us who have been switched over from the old list
because we were spoiled when Frank was monitoring the list but hey he has a
life too. So in short, to avoid pissing off the faithful readers please
take your Non-Ben Folds Five content and send it to the proper address
listed above in this letter and at the bottem of this digest.

Thank you

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 15:00:50 +0100
From: Mark Piper (PWA) <pipermf@ugs1.ph.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Glasto and everything...

Howdy Doody,

	Well, it seems things are beginning to calm down a tad on the Armchair.
Thank goodness. Still, don't get careless. Actually, I don't think I mentioned
this before, but I recently added a small section to my web page about the
Armchair, what it is, how it works, and what you should and shouldn't do, so
if you're interested (or a newbie), you can find it at:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/listguide.html

Any comments or additions would be appreciated.

Now, on with the rest. Can anyone confirm that the Shepherds Bush (23/06) show
has sold out? I guess I could phone the ticket office, but I don't have a phone
to hand. And can anyone confirm that there's going to be a show on 1st July?
If so, would I not be far off in suggesting that BF5 might be making a small
sojourn down to lovely old Somerset to play at Glastonbury? That would be cool.
Well, no, maybe not. I don't have a ticket, but I only live a couple of miles
away. To think BF5 might be playing in a field a couple of miles away from me
would be pretty gutting. But then, I have my ways....

Last, and most definitely least, if anyone happened to catch Live & Kicking
on a Saturday morning over Easter, you may have noticed that since interviewing
the band, Jamie Theakston has become almost a spitting image of Darren.. (at
least in the one program that I had the pleasure of viewing)

Oh, and definitely last, on a non-BFF note, does anyone have trouble reading my
posts. As far as I know, they should be justified, but someone mentioned that
my emails are all on one line. Please email me. Cheers

Mark
Looks, Brains & Everything - www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/bff.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 09:25:47
From: zerocool@magg.net
Subject: Compilation Tape

If anyone is interested I have a compilation tape of Ben Folds Five that
includes a show at Ziggy's from Aug. '95, a show at Seventh Street Entry
from Oct. 26, 1995 and several songs off of a demo released prior to the
first cd. If you would like a copy of this tape please email me privately
for details so as not to clog up the armchair.

thanks-
Gina

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 12:43:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: DMedsker@aol.com
Subject: Cover Songs

<<          Oh, my cover song suggestion is "Our House" by Crosby Stills and
 Nash.  There's lots of good piano and harmony and possibilities for
 interesting lyrical and blues interpretation.   >>

Personally, I'd like to see Ben and Co. tackle Planet Earth from Duran Duran.
In fact, they may be able to outrock the monster version ex-Durannie John
Taylor's new band Neurotic Outsiders does in concert.

Hope hope,

David M

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 14:16:22 -0400
From: kjoaquin@eve.assumption.edu
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #289

>> night. I also saw Squirrel Nut Zippers and Cake who I believe are also from
>> Chapel Hill...

Nope, I know the Zippers are from somewhere below the Mason-Dixon, but Cake
is from Sacramento California.  Just in case you were wondering.  Sorry if
this was too off topic.

- -Kendra

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 14:14:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: AngrYngFan@aol.com
Subject: Re: "Ahh, Liz Phair"

>>and as far as that thing about the line in Fair being "Awww, Liz Phair
in love"....what kinda crack are you people smoking? heheh...sorry.
That's a weird thing to hear if you ask me. oh well.<<

I put that in my review of the Chicago show because Ben himself said that
that was the working lyrics or title of the song (I can't remember exactly).
  I'm sure it was a joke directed at the Chicago audience because Liz Phair
is from Chicago.  I don't think I made it clear in my review that it was
intended as a joke, but I thought everyone would get it without explanation.
 Guess not.

- - Margaret

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 14:27:17 -0400
From: rebelgrrrl@juno.com (rachelle r house)
Subject: ben folds five on M2

well, i've been up for 72 hours working on a paper due today, so after
staying home all day and then running to class with my paper, i cam home,
turned on the tv and there on M2 was our favorite boys!  Ben folds five
was doing a little interview thing, i threw in a tape and got like
2minutes of it. oh well, it was just exciting. anyone else see it? they
were amusing, being their funny selves.  this was about 5 minutes ago,
they are playing bowcls video now, which i've never seen so i gotta go.
bye!
rachelle rae

"You should be with us, feeling like we do, like you love to; but never
will...again." --perry farrell

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 14:53:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Qualitease@aol.com
Subject: 90 minutes?

     Ok, first I would like to say sorry if I offended anyone with my Satan
Is My Master post.  It was intended as a joke, and I was sure that anyone in
my school, knowing me, would not take me seriously.  I hope that no one on
the list did.
      I caught 120 minutes on Monday (after I had taped it), only to find out
that I did not get the whole thing on tape.  When I was setting my VCR on
Sunday night, I read in the TV guide, that 120 minutes went from 12:00 to
1:30.  For some reason, it did not register in my head that the show I was
taping is called 120 minutes!  So, I only got 90 minutes of the show.  This
includes two interview clips, and the video for BoWCCL.  What did I miss?
 Please e-mail to tell me if missed something cool.
     Matt Pinfield:  what an idiot, huh?  Did anyone catch where Ben is
talking about White Snake and then Robert is about to say the name of a new
song?  Matt Pinfield interupts Robert when Robert says, "its called..."
 Pinfield: "Here I go again 97"?  Check out the look on the boys' faces.
 Robert is left with his mouth wide open, Darren looks at Pinfield with the
dirtiest look, and Ben fakes a laugh.  It is so funny, I much have watched it
10 times - at least!  Also, when they cut back from a commercial, Pinfield
asked about the guitar issue, and Robert responds, but all this time, Darren
is picking fuzzes off of his pants.  After about 30 seconds, Darren finishes,
and Ben reaches over and puts the final touches on Darren's pants.  I
recomend that anyone who has this taped should watch it again and observe
these classic scenes.  I think that after seeing BF5 on MTV, I relize that
they won't go much futher than they allready are.  Their outlook on music
will never change.  We can expect years of good music from them.
       ~Alan

  waiting for HORDE dates in CT (hoping)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 15:50:15 -0400
From: Evan Chakroff <chakroff@ee.net>
Subject: M2

Someone probably posted about this... but BFF were on M2 sample hour. I
guess it was one of those artists choice video hours? All I saw was about
30 seconds of the part around 2:40.

- -ec

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 18:23:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Folds5@aol.com
Subject: Cincinnati Rejoices !!!

What better news to get on this National Masterbation Day, than BFF is coming
to town. They just announced the guys will be at Bogart's on Monday, June 2.
If any fellow fivers want to do some pre-show partying send me an e-mail.
Rock on my brothers.

Brandon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 18:39:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com
Subject: Videos

I am looking to acquire two videos.
1) The promo video being give away w/ purchase of the new cd at some places.
 I am very interested in the actuall video but a copy would be just as cool.
 So anybody with the promo video and vhs-vhs dubbing capabilities, let me
know.
2) The recent 120 Minutes.  I'm interested in acquiring the entire segment
with Ben Folds Five.  I believe this was the 2nd hour.  Anybody with a copy
and dubbing capabilities, please let me know.

I have alot of audio bootlegs (a couple BFF) and some videos of different
bands to trade.  I'm sure I can work a deal out with somebody.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 09:51:46 +1000
From: Alex <belawan@parramatta.starway.net.au>
Subject: bf5...oh and one other thing

        Hi

        im a really big fan of BFF and im also Australian...i also happen to
love Australian bands and i am incredibly proud of them...so when i hear
comments such as this:

>Sacrifice" was fuggin hilarious.  I think some of the kiddies in the crowd
>didn't get it, but then again,it wasn't Silverchair so what do you expect.
        from Americans, i get a little annoyed...great call...now we can all
high-five each other and slag off a few more hardworking bands...oh yeah,
and your spell silverchair with a small "s"...

        take care and heres hoping that BF5 make it down here soon

        Alex

**C'mon, abuse me more i
  like it..c'mon keep talking
  cos its true**  ~ Johnsy, silverchair