Issue #296 - May 11, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest      Sunday, May 11 1997      Volume 01 : Number 296

Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 23:51:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Yoda90210@aol.com
Subject: Armchair vs. armor

<< Kudos and
 hard luck to the groover who jumped on stage and swayed for about 5
 seconds before he was dragged off!!  >>

I must say, that event came out totally underrated.

For those of you who missed it, this tyke jumped up on stage in the middle of
fair breaking it down Grind-stylee...it was hilarious until robert became
alarmed and two hefty vending machine size men picked the boy up and dragged
him off kicking.  Poor kid.  This all happenned in a matter of twenty
seconds, but the expression of "what the--" on his face definitely stuck in
my mind.

The metro:  no moshing, no stage diving, no dancing on stage innocently.

lv,
s.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 23:34:13 -0500
From: punkerboy@webtv.net ("JOHN SCHOLTES, Jr.")
Subject: Ben Folds Five and Barenaked Ladies?

Hello Fellow Armchairians...

        What would you all think of a Barenaked Ladies/ Ben Folds Five
tour? I know that these are two of my favourite bands, and, at the
Chicago BFF show, I noticed at least 6 or 7 BNL shirts. I, for one think
that it'd be great for both bands, and all the fans. You?

          Also, to the Illinoisian who wrote in in the last issue, yes
THE NEW WORLD DOES SUCK. *l* But alas, there is no other in the Chicago
area unless you trek up to Alpine Valley in WI.

          Lastly, if anyone sent me email at
punkerthanyourmom@screenz.com, and recieved it back because the addy no
longer exists, or didn't get a reply, please email me at the new addy...
punkerboy@webtv.net or punkerboy@geocities.com

                                      Till next time,

                                              Johnny

"I'm crazy, but I get the job done" - Ben Folds

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/PunkSkaAndMore/index.html     Punk Ska And More!

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/1187/   The Flannel Tubs online

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 15:42:50 +1000
From: Very Fruity Indeed <ad@healey.com.au>
Subject: Bennie's Beanies.

Just wondering how many of you people have groovy Ben Folds Five beanies...
 I love the little gold piano on them!!!  YES!!!

Bye

Ad.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
&                   Ironside                      &
&      "...the 17th best band in the world"       &
& http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ &
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 02:37:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: BEEFTODD@aol.com
Subject: Ben Got Nah Soul.

Reet this is phat time cheeky mon.  Gonna Big up all da crew.  Why ain't Ben
Fold
Fives, got neh rap in'it?  OK, it got da rap, but wid a C, nargh wot I mean.
Massive.

Wots all da Fivers, Bennies, Fiends, Freaks names on?  Definately not a ragga
tip with SL2. Wicked.  I can quote phat lyrical juice, but "She's a brick and
I'm drowning
slowly"  Whooooa slow down, it's not got da vibes.  Ok mon, tell ya wot i do,
OK
cheeky song by N-Trance, "Guy meets girl, girl meets guy, guy says girl is
looking
fly" Now thats ruuuuude in'it.  So Ben mon, delve into some gangsta, dah boyz
gotit
going on.

One cool song by Ben though, Smoke.  Why? Cos it 'bout taking the herb and
chillin'.
Nice.

Respect and big up to all the Fly people out d'air.  Phat.

MC One-Two, sitting on da loo, 'aving a poo.

PS- probably blew it big time tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHEEKY

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 02:52:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: SharynN@aol.com
Subject: central park??

When are bff playing Central Park?  I missed the Irving Show (I am an idiot,
I am a loser) and can't screw up again.

Sharyn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sharyn November
SharynN@AOL.com
<http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4135>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 08:27:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jfishhead@aol.com
Subject: bootlegs

Hey all.  I'm brand spankin' new to the list, and am damn happy I found it.
 I'm hoping someone could help me out - I'm just looking for a good bootleg
tape of a show somewhere, sometime.  I'm afraid I haven't got much to trade,
except for a few CD singles that I'm sure almost everybody already has.  I do
have some good Jellyfish stuff, though, if anyone is interested, and total
access to hundreds of progressive band bootlegs (Genesis, Yes, ELP, etc...
from a friend).

Anything anyone could do to help out would be greatly appreciated, whether
for trade, a 2:1, or payment.

Thanks all,

Dustin

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 May 97 11:45:00 -0500
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@pobox.com>
Subject: VOTE FOR BF5 COVER!!!

(Michael Bluejay here, formerly NakedVegan -- please note my new email
address.)

Time to vote on which song you'd most like to see BF5 cover!  I've
compiled all your suggestions into a ballot, which appears below.  (If
you failed send me your cover suggestion, then it is ABSOLUTELY too late
to do so now.)

HERE'S HOW TO VOTE.  Please follow the instructions OTHERWISE YOUR VOTE
WILL NOT BE COUNTED!  Vote by copying the entire ballot into a new mail,
and addressing the mail directly to me (bluejay@pobox.com).  BALLOTS SENT
TO THE ENTIRE ARMCHAIR WILL BE DISQUALIFIED, even if they're sent
directly to me later.  You may vote for up to 5 songs, on a scale of 1 to
5, which 5 being your favorite.  Put the number representing your choice
before each song title.  For EXAMPLE:

5 Conjunction Junction     Schoolhouse Rock  driver8_@hotmail.com
2 Cornflake Girl           Tori Amos         Bnanakingg@aol.com
  Desafinado               Antonio Carlos Jobim   KingBuzz3@aol.com
1 Dirty Work               Steely Dan        Qualitease@aol.com
4 Fake Plastic Trees       Radiohead         scoco@netspace.net.au
  Fat Bottom Girls         Queen             RAVESLAVE@aol.com
3 Get into the Groove      Madonna           holyboy@minn.net

The song that gets the highest numerical score wins, though of course
I'll post the scores for ALL songs at the end of the voting period.  I'll
accept ballots for nearly two weeks, ending at noon CST on Friday, June
23rd.

- ------------------------ BEGIN BALLOT -------------------------------

Cover Suggestion         Original Artist   Suggested by
 99                       Toto              cynthia@people.timeinc.com
 Africa                   Toto              sjlewis@students.uiuc.edu
 After the Gold Rush      Neil Young        franbu@mail.bogo.co.uk
 All For Lena             Billy Joel        SoapScribe@aol.com
 Bohemian Rhapsody        Queen             PERCYSTAR@aol.com
 Come on Eileen           Dexy's Midnite Runners  YQCN18A@prodigy.com
 Conjunction Junction     Schoolhouse Rock  driver8_@hotmail.com
 Cornflake Girl           Tori Amos         Bnanakingg@aol.com
 Desafinado               Antonio Carlos Jobim   KingBuzz3@aol.com
 Dirty Work               Steely Dan        Qualitease@aol.com
 Fake Plastic Trees       Radiohead         scoco@netspace.net.au
 Fat Bottom Girls         Queen             RAVESLAVE@aol.com
 Get into the Groove      Madonna           holyboy@minn.net
 Good Vibrations          Beach Boys        stuart@optics.rochester.edu
 Great Balls of Fire      Jerry Lee Lewis   rosaliem@bbs.exoticomm.com
 I Touch Myself           The Divinyls      EtKreitzer@vassar.edu
 Jungle Boogie            Kool & the Gang?  chakroff@ee.net
 Kiss Off                 Violent Femmes    Heyzeus@swbell.net
 Kung Fu Fighting         Carl Douglas      KOENIJ22@uwosh.edu
 Kiss                     Prince            LaRubia@compuserve.com
 Let's Go Crazy           Prince            un036034@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu
 Paradise by the
    Dashboard Light       Meatloaf          mcdonpj3@wfu.edu
 Piece of My Heart        Janis Joplin      dmauer@earthlink.net
 Second Hand News         Fleetwood Mac     mhfoster@artsci.wustl.edu
 Shaft (Theme from)       Isaac Hayes       Shan111111@aol.com
 Smells Like Teen Spirit  Nirvana           bluejay@pobox.com
 Social Disease           Elton John        DBombay1@aol.com
 Somebody to Love         Queen             mcdonpj3@wfu.edu
 Stayin' Alive            Bee Gees          GenLand18
 Synchronicity I          The Police        Brad654@aol.com
 Take Five                Dave Brubeck?     RFAA93A@prodigy.com
 Tear the Roof off
   the Sucker             Parliament        eh204@is6.nyu.edu
 Three Years Ago Today    Built to Spill    MERSSM@rascal.guilford.edu
 The Tick (Theme to)      ???               jschweiss@sirus.com
 We're Gonna Groove       Led Zeppelin      sexysamselvaggio@msn.com
 While My Guitar
   Gently Weeps           Beatles           damer@nwu.edu
 You're So Vain           Carly Simon       TreeSapper@aol.com
- -------------------------- END BALLOT -------------------------------

| bluejay@pobox.com         | If adding me to your address book,        |
|                           | please use this address.                  |
|---------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
| http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE, BIKING |
|                           |   IN AUSTIN, VEGETARIAN pages, & more     |

Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 12:53:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: BEEFTODD@aol.com
Subject: Wreck The mic

Dear Ben Folds Five people,

"Watch us wreck the mic, watch us wreck the mic, watch us wreck the
mic.......psyche!.  Lets get ready to rumble"

Todd of beef

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 13:23:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: BEEFTODD@aol.com
Subject: Re:watch us wreck

Dear Beef Todd,

Watch us wreck the mic, PSYCHE!!!!

Wicked

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 14:26:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Detsky <hdetsky@inforamp.net>
Subject: TM Service Charges

>>Anyway, The MILWAUKEE show is on sale now! Where the hell does
Ticketmaster get off charging an extra 3.50?(bastards!all of them).

You think that's a lot?  Tickets to the BFF show in Toronto are $11.50.
The guy at Ticket Master tells me after tax and service charge the final
cost is $17!!!!!!!!
I think it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  I would like nothing
more than to see another ticket company come in, charge reasonable service
charges and kick TicketMaster off the face of this earth, including all
those rich executives who had the bright idea to rip off every single music
lover in North America.
        Pissed off,
                        Jay

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 14:38:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rahoolio@aol.com
Subject: ONLY the perfect double bill!

Gang,

   I've been kind of busy lately and I've skipped a few Armchairs, but I did
manage to pick up that BF5 is playing SOMEWHERE with Bettie Serveert...but I
didn't find out where.  In response to the question, "Are they any
good?"...Well, they made one of my two or three favorite albums of the '90s,
"Palomine" (right up there with a certain little CD with a fuzzy photo of a
piano keyboard on the front), and their new album--following a lackluster
sophomore effort--is mighty fantastic too.  Singer Carol van Dijk manages to
merge a tough Chrissie Hynde sensibility with the easygoing, loopy drawl of
Edie Brickell, and the band rocks plenty, with a mad-genius lead guitarist
who manages to make a lot of "wrong" notes sound oh-so-right.
   So if Ben and the Betties are playing together in your town, consider
yourself very lucky!

- --R.