Issue #307 - May 17, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Saturday, May 17 1997     Volume 01 : Number 307

To remove yourself from this mailing list, send an e-mail message to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

In the body of the message put the word:

       unsubscribe

Please do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself!

                NEW DOMAIN NAME FOR THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
Just when we are all getting used to the address, the domain name is
changing. From now on, please direct all posts to:

       armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Administrative messages (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc.) go to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Please change your address books accordingly!

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    not  the high fives
    the new guy
    howdy folks
    a few things...
    BFF on SNL
    Horde in Philly?
    SNL?? Whatever. . .
    Kate Single/Franks/Boston Show
    Aquired Taste
    Ben on Sat Night Live
    Endfest/Barenaked Ladies; no BFF content at all!  (sorry)
    heheh
    To the New Orleans people
    name?
    that thingy in smoke

Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 23:56:19 -0400
From: Barone <barone@magpage.com>
Subject: not  the high fives

- --
PK
     Hey people,
'
 This is in regard to Sammy who said our nick should be the "HIGH FIVES"
 . This wouldnt be good because the HIGH FIVES  are a punk band. so that
wouldnt work. Idont mean to be stupid or a know it all or anything. My
suggestion for a nick would be the "Fortgotton Warriors of the Battle of
Who could Care Less".  KINDA long....but it makes sense maybe.
                              see ya ,
                                 TRAVIS
ps- i so far have 4 converts under my belt....so thats cool

"WEVE BEEN COLONIZED BY WANKERS!"-RENTON

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 00:18:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Scazmataz@aol.com
Subject: the new guy

Well hello everyone...I am the new guy.  My stumbling on to the awesome trio
calling themselves Ben Folds Five is pretty monotonous, just saw the video
for "Battle of Who Could Care Less, and loved it.  Went out and bought the
CD.  That's my story.  Of course now the cd has a permanent spot in the
stereo.  In this current world of cookie cutter sounds emitting from my
radio, it is definitely refreshing to blindly come across a band that has
such a great flavor.  Just my 2 cents.

Chris O'Neill

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 00:31:06 -0400
From: grc105@email.psu.edu
Subject: howdy folks

hey everybody,

Being a fan of BBF for over a year, I had no idea such a huge following
existed! I thought I was a lonely little fan until I heard them on the
radio just recently. Anyway, as a new subscriber, I don't know if this was
covered or not, but SHEET MUSIC is a must for these guys! Playing the piano
for over 12 years, I haven't had the urge to learn music by ear by since
Billy Joel's "Miami 2017" in 10th grade.  I know some guitar tab exists on
the net, but (no offense to N. Vincent) it sucks! Lastly, I was wondering
if you guys noticed that Letterman's band has attempted a version of BoWCCL
with guitar!  Just one of the few signs that BBF' charisma is soon to be
ruined by mainstream banality (first REM, then DMB, now BBF?).

thanks,

glenn

p.s.  Is Rockford files still on TV?

Renee Cohen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 97 10:29:00 PDT
From: "Riley, Adrian D [DBE]" <A.D.Riley@lmu.ac.uk>
Subject: a few things...

I've been reading through the last dozen or so armchairs and here's a few
things that came to mind/responses to posts:

Origin of 'Song for the Dumped'

At the Sheffield uk 96 gig, Ben said the song was written in a McDonalds
juts after Darren had been dumped exactly as the song tells it.
I love the 'pissed off with God' angle though!

Billy Joel comparisons

I'm amazed that people disagree on this. Some of Bens playing is total early
Billy Joel (all his best stuff is pre 'innocent man'). I'm sure it's not a
copying thing though. Perhaps the reason it sounds so obvious to a British
listener is that both Ben and Billy use very American sounding chords and
voicings - there seems to be a strong country feel to them, even Aaron
Copland-ish at times. I guess this is just more noticeable to Brits 'cos we
don't have the same musical influences.

Ben Folds play supermarket music

There is a band in the UK called Corduroy (who're very good incidentally)
who open their shows saying "Hello, we're Corduroy and we play music". After
hearing BFF mixed with bland MOR rubbish and Mantovani in my local
supermarket perhaps they could say "Hello, we're Ben Folds Five and we play
Muzak".

The return of Supertramp - coincidence?

Some of the descriptions BFF have been slandered with in the UK are:
"Gilbert O'Sullivan on acid", "Geek-rock" and comparisons with Supertramp.
Funny how Supertramp have a new studio album out and an epic European tour.
What goes around comes around...

Stephens last night - what are they singing?

I'm still looking for the real lyrics to the 'kick that chutzey' section of
'Stephens Last Night'. Any ideas?

and finally...
Someone mentioned the washboard sound in 'Smoke'. It's Ben scraping the
strings inside the piano.

TTFN

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 12:26:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Julsco1@aol.com
Subject: BFF on SNL

hello everyone,

I saw the post that BFF will be on SNL this Saturday.  I don't think this is
correct.  I saw a commerical on NBC yesterday saying that another group is
the musical guest.  I believe En Vogue.  Oh well maybe next season.
 Hopefully Letterman is around the corner.

LATER

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 12:27:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: UFOPhiler@aol.com
Subject: Horde in Philly?

Does anyone know the date for Horde in Philly?  If you do, could someone
please e-mail me?  Thanks

kate

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 11:33:18 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: SNL?? Whatever. . .

EnVogue is the musical guest AND, this is the season final. AND, the
band is in Frickin Japan!!!!!!!! Pay attention to reliable sources like the BFF
homepage and Frank's page.

Will someone please try to confirm how many and which dates BFF is
playing for HORDE? I can't believe that it is taking so long to put this
together. BTW, Widespead Panic has dropped out of HORDE and Beck
will joining the tour for 12 days beginning 8/1. And the S.N. Zippers have
been added. HELL-o. . .

buh, bye. . .

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 13:35:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: THE YANKEE <mcdonpj3@wfu.edu>
Subject: Kate Single/Franks/Boston Show

IN the Last Armchair, somebody wrote:
- -----------
4)The Kate single. For anyone who is interested, the Kate singles will
feature
CD2: Kate (Tony Toni Tone Mix) (11:56)
     For Those Y'all On The Mailing List (25:13) (Featuring a Rage Against
The
Machine sample: "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me", and 24 minutes of
Ben
asking "Robert, would you say my hands are too big?")
     Theme from "Sesame Street" (1:23) (A regular live favourite in these
parts)
- -----------
- -this was so hysterical.  I hope someone forwards it to Ben.

As for the armchair denizen name, I now am moved by Frank's original
work on this list, and motion that we declare ourselves "Franks" or
"Maynard Maniacs" or "200 Solemn Maynards" or perhaps rename the list
"Damn, we like Frank."

Thirdly, will anyone be at the Boston show at the Paradise on May 27th?
Also, does anyone know the showtime or if it is over 21?  Or anything
about ticket availability?

In BFFandom,
                                Patrick J. McDonough

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 10:37:07 -0700
From: Peters <gickr@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Aquired Taste

I have been watching the battle of who could care less about naming ourselves...

But as I'm growing older I'm bored, I remember when Counting Crows thrilled me much
more.

Anyway, I thought that Dan Cherney had an interesting avenue into finding his love of
Ben Folds Five.  He caught "Underground" and didn't know who sang it until hearing
'Battle' on the radio.  I came in more like Mark Piper who had some BFF recorded onto a
DMB boot.  Mine was a Counting Crows boot, and though I don't remember who I traded
with, THANK YOU FOR PUTTING BFF ON THAT Fox Theater gig!

I stole the thought from my wife that BFF is an aquired taste.  I was drawn in by
Philosophy and Alice Childress while thinking much of the stuff overly goofy.  Like the
line in Alice Childress, "an arranged marriage...is not so good..."  like, what the
fuck? Or, the sheer outlandishness of Best Imitation, until I read the lyrics and
realized it has the sharp wit of Dylan, in a light unattached observation of a
relationship.  Eventually, I got to what I think the heart of the first album is, the
string of Uncle Walter, Best Imitation, and Video.  Video blows my mind, the older we
get the more we end up living in our memories and living life with a 'neural remote
control'.  If I could just get this damn VCR to work!

Ben and crew just don't let their art fit into a box.  They are relaxed about their
medium and it brings in sounds and thoughts that most would stifle and label 'not
acceptable'.  They are serious about not taking themselves too seriously.

Thanks to the person who let us know of BFF on SNL, hope it's true.  They should have
them host too; those three are the funniest around when they get talking.

Cheers all,
Garrick

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 14:38:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: sam jacob lewis <sjlewis@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Ben on Sat Night Live

Nah dood!  I thinks not - but I'm gonna watch it anyway cause I love dat
show. I hope Mr. Peepers has another skit this week - or Janet Reno or
that talk show where you can't understand what the host or any of the
guest are saying...nyep!  Anyway, I saw SNL last Saturday (I was taking a
break a midst my finals) w/John Goddman and Jewel.  I don't remember
who's hosting or musical guesting but I remember specifically that it
wasn't Ben Folds Five.  Why, do you ask?  'Cause at that very moment that
they announced the musical guests I thought to myself - "Wow, wouldn't
BF5 be sweet to see on SNL" and I envisioned that moment for a split
second.  But then they announced the musical guests and I was like
"Oh well, maybe next week".  Than I gave Jewel a listen - Good voice,
horseshit songs that make me either wanna go to sleep or jump off a
really tall building!  But without her, VH1 would be out of business!
If BF5 are on SNL, I will eat my words - OK, OK, I'll make everyone a
copy of it if they didn't watch it because of me.

Sam
     From the desk of Samuel Lewis - The know nothing know it all

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 15:37:06 -0500
From: woletz@prodigy.net
Subject: Endfest/Barenaked Ladies; no BFF content at all!  (sorry)

Hi everyone.

This is my second post and it's another off-subject one.  I was just
wondering if anyone on this list is going to Endfest tomorrow (Saturday
May 17th).  I know a lot of you armchairers are BNL fans, and I don't
remember how many lived in Ohio, but I know a few do.  Anyways, email me
if you are going to Endfest.  I'm just curious to know if anyone else is
going.  I can't wait!!!!!!

Sorry for such an off-subject message.  If you have any complaints feel
free to email ME and not the ARMCHAIR.  (an opportunity all of you
flamers won't want to miss!)  :)

~Jessie

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 17:00:42 -0500
From: absenter@thenexus.com
Subject: heheh

       today as i was making graphics for my web page, i went to make a
bff icon kinda thing to throw on my page somewhere, and it got REALLY
messed up somehow..and i know how we all have been searching for a name
for ourselves..so i donate the fruits of my labor..fiven folds :)  heheh
that was what my graphic said cause it was messed up.  it looks pretty
cool now, though.
       i kinda like "armchairites" cuz its nice and simple..i dunno
why..fiven folds is pretty cool too :)  heheh
       umm..seriously now..for those of y'all going to see ben folds
five at the saratoga winners show, i'll be there and i'm prolly gonna
wear my dunkin donuts shirt..i'll most probably be the only one in the
place with a dunkin donuts shirt.  it says coffee coolatta on the front
:)  i don't have any time to go out and buy name tags :D
       lastly, i went to barnes & noble today and looked in the music
section and they had ben folds five under F, not B..i dunno..i'm used to
it being under B because if it was 'the ben folds five', wouldn't it be
like ben folds' THREE or something? and also i thought ben folds five
was, ya know, just a weird band name, i didn't know there was anyone
named ben folds in the group..i dunno..it's weird..I'M weird :)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 18:11:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: KNULPREK@aol.com
Subject: To the New Orleans people

Hey.. yea, don't worry bout it.. bands with no airplay tour all the time..
That's usually their way to GET airplay. Plus, check out the HORDE tour.. BFF
is supposed to be playing it.. they're not by the time they get here to
Florida, but they might be there for you..

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 18:19:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: KNULPREK@aol.com
Subject: name?

Hi. I'm sorry if i sound a bit confused or whatnot, but i just signed up to
this Magical Armchair deal, and i noticed a whole bunch of talking about a
name or whatever, so i was just wondering what you guys are talking about..
Isn't Magical Armchair a name? Thanks.

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 18:46:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: PhairTwo@aol.com
Subject: that thingy in smoke

it's my opinion that the instrument is just ben strumming his fingers over
his piano wires. at least that's what he did at the concert. but i have been
known to be wrong in the past (very rarely).

- -bess