Issue #308 - May 18, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest      Sunday, May 18 1997      Volume 01 : Number 308

To remove yourself from this mailing list, send an e-mail message to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

In the body of the message put the word:

       unsubscribe

Please do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself!

                NEW DOMAIN NAME FOR THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
Just when we are all getting used to the address, the domain name is
changing. From now on, please direct all posts to:

       armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Administrative messages (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc.) go to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Please change your address books accordingly!

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    non-BFF stuff
    To all how are new!
    Osaka Shows: for BF5 reseachers
    hehe whoops
    melodica shtuff
    Summerstage Tix
    ANOTHER name suggestion...
    Names Shmames
    Ben Folds Five to play on TFI Friday!!!
    RE: Blueberry Pancakes
    THE TRUTH!!
    "Is this thing on?"
    The issue of BFF on SNL
    Cheeky Mon In'it

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 18:53:10 -0700
From: Kim <kim@foothill.net>
Subject: non-BFF stuff

I know this off BFF topic, but it shall be quick. glenn~ YES!!!!!!! It's
still on!!!!!!!! In San Fran, every night. I've never watched it though,
but I think I might, just to see what's so neat-o about it. PS~ Sorry I
already sent this to you, glenn!!!!!! *L*

toodles,
Kim

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for life----Kim

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 21:25:02 -0500
From: Randi <rn21ja19@idt.net>
Subject: To all how are new!

Hey all,
  I've been on this list since January and have loved every issue of it,
well except for the one that was just an unsubscribe post.  For all that
are new, the name thing is not to rename the Armchair, but to name the
people on the list.  There have been many good names.  I sugguest that
you go back throught the old issues, the address is at the end of the
list.
  Also, in the new issue of Rolong Stone (4/29/97) on page 19 you will
find a pictue of Ben and a small catpion on thier show with Counting
Crows.  If you don't want to buy the issue I scaned it onto my site.  I
know this is off the subject, but has anyone heard of Slacker Comics.
If so write me personaly.

Randi
Beavis's Music Picks - The New Improved Frames Version
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/morrison/11/beavis.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 11:38:00 +0900
From: Azusa Motohashi <EZC00110@niftyserve.or.jp>
Subject: Osaka Shows: for BF5 reseachers

Hi there,

Ben Folds Five keeps on 1997 Japan tour now,you know. ( I hope they'll
stay this country forever.....) Chiori,my friend, posted about
first Tokyo night on #299. Different from Chiori,Only I can do is just
telling you songs they played and so on.

M.I.P.Hall ,in Osaka, can hold about 2,000 people at one night.
May 10th and 11st,the hall was full of BF5 fans. Great audiences.

(On May 10th,Ben wore the brown jacket which a Japanese interviewer
gave him in exchanged for his rare records,ex.Majosha.And May 9th,
Ben wore Comeda T-shirt)

Following are set lists.
$B#1#0(Bth                                   11st
Best Imitation of Myself                Best Imitation of Myself
One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solomon Faces   One Angry Dwarf ond 200....
Philosophy                              Philosophy
Selfless ,Cold and Composed             Selfless ,Cold  and Composed
Alice Childless                         Kate
Kate                                    Theme from Dr.Pyser
Missing the War                         Missing the War
Brick                                   Steven's Last Night in Town
Steven's  Last night in Town            Jackson Cannery
Ben's Foot Play                         Fair
Jackson Cannery                         Last Polka
Theme from Dr.Pyser                     She Doesn't Use Jelly
She doesn't use Jelly                   Cigarette
Battle of Who Could Careless            Battle of Who Could Careless
Song for the Dumped                     Song for the Dumped
Underground                             Underground

Smoke                                   Smoke
Ultimate Sacrifice (? I don't know sure.)  Julianne

On 10th,"Ben's Foot Play "is a improvisation with playing his right
feet and usual Darren's Drum and Robert's Bass. (Before this song,
Robert introduced Ben Folds,Piano. Robert pretended he forgot
who is Piano playing!)

For us, the cover song(Ultimate Sacrifice ?) was not exciting
selection. We doesn't know this original and Ben's joke.
So I think they changed the encore song next day.

They seemed relaxed than the first Tokyo show.(But now we understand
why the first show was short and they didn't speak so much between
songs.Their manager told us on Magical Armchair #304.)

Released  TWO great album, they didn't play unknown or new songs,
except "She doesn't use Jelly" (Lovely melody! Almost of us can't
catch the words,so I thought it is great love song!
Thank you ,Ayumu,telling me words of this!) and "Ultimate Sacrifice".
I want to listen more cover songs.But this time, September 67
played at opening. The band gave us great songs.That satisfied me.

By the way, I met Kate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On May 9th, after the first Tokyo show.
I noticed that the lighting staff is Kate because of posting
by someone of you.( Thank you ,Magical Armchair!)
After the first show, I walked around the machine and waited
right moment.(She was on the first floor.) When she noticed me,
ran toward her .

"Are you Mrs. Folds?"(I knew,but first I want to see if she
                      gives me a word!)
"Yes"                (Her smile is so great!)
"Welcome to Japan!" ( I climed up the fence to hold out my hand)
"Thank you ,thank you" (Smiled and shook hands!)
"Are you Kate?" (How fool I am! )
"Yeah.(laugh)"
"Do you know  Mr.Frank Maynard?"
"Frank Who?"          (Her right ear is very near to my face :-)
"Maynard"
"Oh,I have't met him."( I heard so. Is it right,Frank?)

"American fan told me you operate lights."
"Yeah yeah"
"He said you did good job."
"Not tonight .But I ordinaly do.Ha Ha(laugh)." (She does GOOD job
                                                everytime ,of course.)

"I'm going to go to Osaka, too"
"Oh you are? To see the show there?"
"Yes "
"Good"                (She smiled)
"Take care and have a good stay in Japan!"
"Thank you very much!"
" Good night "
" Good night"

That's that. But a big memory. She is so warm and beautiful lady.
I hope I didn't bother her !

I intend to see next Tokyo shows . I want to listen "Emaline" or
or "Evaporated" or " Eddie Walker,this is your life". Please!!!!!

If you want to know somthing about these show,Feel free to e-mail
me, EZC00110@niftyserve.or.jp
Let's share the great Tour!!!

Azusa

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 23:23:58 -0500
From: absenter@thenexus.com
Subject: hehe whoops

       umm..in a previous post, i was commenting on how i found the ben
folds five category under the F section in barnes and noble as opposed
to the B section, and i said something like "i didn't know there was anyone
named ben folds in the group"  :)  umm, what i was talking about was
when i first heard of the band; i thought "ben folds five" were just
three words they threw together (i thought ben folds five was a damned
clever name myself, and i still do), i didn't know it had any
connotation (is that right?  who cares, i love that word) with the
singer/pianist.  but of course, once i bought the tape and opened it up
and saw "ben folds: piano", i knew then.  sorry about all this, i just
wanted to clarify myself..instead of receiving nasty flames such as
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW WHO BEN FOLDS IS?" haha :) sorry

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 21:16:22 -0600
From: Shawn Huckaby <BShawn@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: melodica shtuff

> Actualy, that instrument is Smoke wsa plaed at the concerts.
> It's a little toy piano/harmonica thing that Ben blows into.

If I remember correctly, it's called a 'melodica', and isn't a toy but a
real instrument.  Donald Fagen (of Steely Dan) has also been known to
use one live.  I had one years ago, and just remember it as constantly
being filled with spit!

The one they used on the last tour was being auctioned off for charity
recently, and last I heard the high bid was $650 or so.

Shawn Huckaby

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 23:35:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tocadisco@aol.com
Subject: Summerstage Tix

<< when do they go on sale?  I'm beginning to panic.

 Thanks in advance

 Luna >>

The tickets are already on sale, i've got my NY summerstage tix.  You can buy
them online at the Ticketmaster site, but you have to look up Morphine, cause
they are the headlining act.  They're 20 dollars and the show is on June
25th, its General Admission.

Eric

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 14:13:28 +1000
From: "Mike O'Gorman" <ogorman@brighton.starway.net.au>
Subject: ANOTHER name suggestion...

Hey all,

Here's my suggestion: Fantabulous Fivers.

Before you jump up and flame me for suggesting a name with too many
syllables, keep this in mind: I'm not serious (just thought Susie might find
it amusing).

ACTUALLY, I'm waiting to hear Beef Todd's suggestion for a name to call
ourselves: Phat Phives, mon! At least it's bound to be original...

Cheers,
Signatureless

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 03:01:11 -0500
From: "Louie Nash" <louie@tamu.edu>
Subject: Names Shmames

You know, all of this naming debate reminds me of the pre-armchair days
back when the maillist didn't have a name and all of us "armchairites" (for
lack of a better word) were arguing over what to do to distinguish each
other in the crowd.
There was the Marco Polo-esque:
"Maynard!"
"Frank!"
And the ever so popular chanting of "Satan is my Maynard!"

It would be really cool if we could work some of that old stuff into a
name. (Assuming we decide to adopt one.) *sniff* I just get so choked up
with all of this nostalgia.

Oh well, that's my 2¢.

Thanks Frank,

Bo Nash
louie@tamu.edu

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge."
Benjamin Disraeli

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 11:09:23 +0
From: "S I PICK (BA (Hons) Design)" <AJBA0048@newi.ac.uk>
Subject: Ben Folds Five to play on TFI Friday!!!

Hiya, Folders/Angry Dwarfs/Fivers/Kates/Uncle Walters/Whatevers...

Why does we need nicknames? To hell with them, that's what I say....
if anything, let the piano god himself decide in one of his new songs
- - there'll be no arguing then!

As for the good news for UK fans, Ben Folds Five WILL be playing on
that incredibly popular program, TFI Friday, on Channel 4! To all
those US people who haven't heard of the show, it's basically the
most popular program watched by 16-35 year olds in the UK! I just
hope Ben and the boys decide to play some extra stuff for recording
when they aren't on live, like some bands on TFI sometimes do...

Set your videos - 6PM, Next Friday!!

Ta, ta, you crazy buncha people!

Steve ;)~
AJBA0048@newi.ac.uk
http://www.ace.mdx.ac.uk/hyperhomes/houses/steven/home.htm

P.S. Unsubscribe. (Only kidding.)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 09:02:34 -0400
From: "Faix, Andrew" <AFaix@harris.com>
Subject: RE: Blueberry Pancakes

Good morning kids,

A post about "our" name:

Knock it off.  Listen, I know we'd all feel secure about a name for the
little club we have going here, but doesn't anyone find this somewhat
childish?  While we're voting on names, why don't we take up 500 lines
of Armchair space to work out a secret handshake?  Is it unreasonable to
suggest we just accept that we are die-hard fans of the most fresh and
original band in popular music, and that we all happen to subscribe to
the Magical Armchair Mailing list?  If we want to hook up w/ each other
at shows, E-MAIL EACH OTHER.  That's why the addresses are posted!  We
don't need a name or a handshake or a slogan or a nifty uniform.  For
the love of Ben, just be happy and content with who you are, and chill
out on the label.  I think WAY too much space has been wasted on this
name thing.  Can we PLEASE put an end to it?

I don't mean to insult or belittle anyone, but I could hold my peace no
longer.

Some nice insights by "Peters" in Armchair #307.

Looking forward to the show in Rhode Island.  If anyone here is going,
please identify yourselves clearly by wearing an orange T-shirt,
bell-bottoms, and only wear your right shoe.  The secret password will
be "nose-ring".  We will meet next to the ladies room at EXACTLY 00:07,
and we will refer to ourselves as "Brother/Sister Dwarf of the
Benevolent Order of Magical Armchairians".  Oh...make sure you've got
that handshake down too.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

- -Andrew (afaix@harris.com)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 08:26:50 PDT
From: "Stephen Buchanan" <ferris_bueller11@hotmail.com>
Subject: THE TRUTH!!

Ok...here it is.  This is all the truth.  BF5 on snl?  No, I thought I heard
that when I watched the show too, but then on the commercial it was en vogue.
The instrument on Smoke is this little thing that Ben blows into...I saw it
myself.  The strumming sound is indeed a mike on the strings of his piano.  Now
you all know.  As for a name...why do we need one?  Can't we just just be
referred to as "Those Crazy Magical Armchair People" like we have in the past?

"You're cute...wanna buy a monkey?"
                         -David Letterman
                         Cabin Boy

"Um...yeah?"

Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 11:30:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: LindaNikon@aol.com
Subject: "Is this thing on?"

Hi! Long time listener, first time caller!

After reading several weeks of digests, I thought at some point I should
de-lurk with a plea for help! Help! I'm a new Ben Folds Five fan (saw the
Irving Plaza show in NYC) and have been desperately seeking anything BF5
besides the two albums. I can't find anything of interest in my local record
stores and my most common response to inquiries on a trip to Miami were, "Ben
Folds What?" (I grew up in Miami, it's a wasteland of dinosaur rock and bad
disco...the indie scene is great, but sloooooow.)

Before I go completely postal, can anyone recommend any record stores
anywhere that might carry CD singles, bootlegs, etc? Have credit card, will
travel. (via the phone, the credit card isn't THAT impressive.) I'm also
wondering if there are any extremely kind and generous fans out there who
might take pity on me and help me aquire some dubs... As I said, I don't have
squat in the BF5 arena (yet...), but I have access to bootlegs for lots of
other bands. Oh, and I have money. Money that is just itching to get spent...
why, it's burning a hole in my pocket as I type.... Don't make me beg, it's
not pretty.

As for the name issue, you can call me Bob for all I care. I'm just happy to
have found some music that doesn't make me wretch! Woo Hoo!!

Linda

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 16:02:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: The issue of BFF on SNL

I'm glad I'm not going crazy over this issue. When I got home this
afternoon, my neighbor said to me "I see your favorite band is on SNL
tonight" and I asked him where he heard it. He said he heard them say
something at the end of last week's show, but he admitted he was drifting
in and out of sleep at the time.  He also said he thought he heard them
say not "Ben Folds Five" but just Ben Folds. Well, I suppose you can get
Jeff Goldblum and Ben Folds mixed up a bit if you're drowsy.

En Vogue is the musical guest confirmed by all the usual sources: In the
"next week" bumper tease from last week's show; on a NBC network promo; on
the NBC web page; on the Rock On TV Mailing List; on the Late Show News
mailing list; and on the AP newswire. Besides, the band is playing in
Tokyo tonight, so unless they did it via satellite, it would be kind of
difficult. But that I had heard it from two independent sources had me
wondering. I guess, as with the Conan confusion, the only way to find out
is going to be to watch the show.

 [For those who miss my lyric taglines:
                    She's alone, I'm alone. Now I know it
 -fjm]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 16:48:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: BEEFTODD@aol.com
Subject: Cheeky Mon In'it

Reet Misters,

Diss da hombre?  Thats Cheeky and not Big Up mon.  "People are strange when
you're a stranger"  (Echo and his Rabbitt men, or Bunny men).  OK tell it
like it tis, cos respect to people from earth on a mission, wishin' not
dissin.  Ben is big up and phat largin' it MASSIVE.  Squirrels and the Birds
come?  Is Kate Doctor Dolittle?  Or Jonny Morris (Animal Magic) Magic? Magic
Mushrooms? Magical Armchair? Why is it Magical?  Does Paul Daniels know about
this? Debbie?

OK, mon Happy New Year!!!  Get taxi out and have discussion on change from
flashing light machines. Cheeky. Nah reet cool.  On chorus for Kate why does
Ben refer to a burger that's flame grilled that he would quite appreciate?
 Ie, I wanna BK?  Phew respect and slippy fish supper for everyone.  PS-
lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager,
lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager,
lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager,
lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager,
lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager,
lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager,
lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager,
lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager,
lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager,
lager, lager, lager, lager, lager, lager  Better stop now or get kicked off
for scrolling in'it.  Swear a God.

Todd of Beef,

PS- Get a best mate signed postcard from Cardigans today...........Wicked.
 Nina is a fox.