Issue #314 - May 22, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Thursday, May 22 1997     Volume 01 : Number 314

To remove yourself from this mailing list, send an e-mail message to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

In the body of the message put the word:

       unsubscribe

Please do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself!

                NEW DOMAIN NAME FOR THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
Just when we are all getting used to the address, the domain name is
changing. From now on, please direct all posts to:

       armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Administrative messages (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc.) go to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Please change your address books accordingly!

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Mr. Rogers!!!!
    The best fans go unnoticed...
    With September 67...
    Toad, Mr. Wrong, Names for Listmembers, etc.
    Ben Folds Five Newsgroup started
    Covers, Touring Bands, and BeefTodd
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #313
    TFI! TFI! TFI! TFI! TFI!!!!!
    Re: BFF in the UK
    lounge-a-palooza
    bff in minneapolis
    Horde Dates???
    I'm not sorry when they are big.
    Pittsburgh, Mitchell Lane :-O
    The BLINDNESS of the British Music Press.
    heheh i hope im sending this to the right address
    Slander, BEEFTODD and BFF
    Re: BFF IN CENTRAL PARK INFO

Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 22:13:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Megrooonie@aol.com
Subject: Mr. Rogers!!!!

<< Ben Folds Five
 doing the opening to Mr. Rogers. It would be awesome. Can't you hear him
 singing it. >>

This is the greatest thing i have heard in a loooong time!

It should be done asap!

What a great idea, to whoever suggested it, well, that was *pure* genuis.

Meg

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 23:11:47 EDT
From: john_oc@juno.com
Subject: The best fans go unnoticed...

Not as knock to fans anywhere, but if we were to have a vote for the best
fans on this list there are two important contributers that I would like
to take the time to reckognize.  I am sure that more of you noticed their
efforts, but Chiori and Azusa have logged lots of time with Ben and the
boys, which is cool in itself.  What I would like to call your attention
to are Azusa and Chiori's posts in the past couple digests.  Bad english
and all, I see this as an authentic attempt at trying to be good fans.
They  compete with us and our proficient english speaking society, and do
a darn good job at it.  I must say that Azusa and Chiori's reviews of the
last Tokyo show, were probably the best reviews I have read for a long
time.  And Azusa, no, it is the rest of the Armchair that owes you for
your dedication to the band, and this digest.  Without subscribers like
you, this Digest would be worthless.  There are many more like these two,
but I don't have the time to thank them all.  It was Azusa and Chiori's
efforts that made me notice their contribution, and I thought that they
needed thanking.

Thanks guys,

John Boyer
WOBN-FM 101.5 the ROCK
Asst. Music Director, Triple A Dir. and Research Dir.
Email: John_OC@juno.com   Phone: (614) 823-2969
Westerville, Ohio(Just north of Columbus)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 00:27:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Clay <fender@grove.ufl.edu>
Subject: With September 67...

Neato,
	I picked up the September 67 CD a month or so back (It's pretty
good, not anything like BF5, mostly acoustic) and I've always wondered
if I'd ever get to see them live.  Now freaking Ben is performing with
them and I'm 1000's of miles away!  If anyone has the ability, PLEASE tape
one of these shows along with as much as possible of the Sept 67 stuff.
I'll do anything to hear that, I'll make mixed tapes, I've got some great
indiepop to trade, I'll write songs in your honor, I'll be your best
friend!?...Ah, c'mon!  You're mean!  Pretty please with sugar on top?

Steve

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 00:52:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Toad, Mr. Wrong, Names for Listmembers, etc.

Lots of people, most recently Sharon Kern, have pointed out other bands
that are big fans of Ben Folds Five. Toad The Wet Sprocket, Counting
Crows, Moxy Fruvous, Barenaked Ladies, and many more. I wonder if BFF are
evolving into another Steely Dan in the sense that they are becoming the
musician's musicians.

absenter@thenexus.com asked about BFF in Mr. Wrong. I suffered through
the entire movie as well. "Dumped" isn't in the movie itself, but somehow
it wound up on the soundtrack. It would have been perfect in the movie,
though.

I don't think anybody has suggested the obvious moniker for listmembers,
if we must have one: The La-Z-Boys? (With credit due to an aforementioned
band) (Hey, now there's an idea for a cover song!)

Ryan - There are about 1100 list members. It goes up and down a bit but
it's been pretty stable since the conversion to Majordomo, the mass
misunderstanding of how an automated listserver works and the exodus of
the impatients.

Brad - I wish I could be at the 9:30 Club show, but since I live in
Michigan and don't travel with the band (hey, there's an idea...How I
Spent My Summer Vacation) I'm afraid I won't be there. But be sure to
wear your name tag and mention my name to Ben if you see him.

Chiori and Azusa - Thanks for the Japan show updates. Sounds like
everyone had a great time!

  [-Your ob'd mod, fjm]
                        I guess it's cool to be alone

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 00:55:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Ben Folds Five Newsgroup started

I have noticed the creation of a new newsgroup, alt.music.ben-folds-five,
just today. Already has some posts even. It should be a good avenue for
those who don't know about the Armchair (they will be told!).
   [-fjm]
                  Can't you see it's not me you're dying for

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 97 00:38:24 -0500
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@pobox.com>
Subject: Covers, Touring Bands, and BeefTodd

Since punkerboy is soliciting your suggestions for two bands that you'd
like to see BF5 tour with, I'd like to ask you to consider voting for my
band, King Cheese, as one of the two bands you suggest.  Here's why I
think we deserve your vote:

- - We're a keyboard-based band without a guitarist.
- - BF5 has only three guys, but we have only TWO!
- - We do a huge number of the songs you folks nominated for BF5 to cover
(including Kiss, Let's Go Crazy, Stayin' Alive, and YOU'RE SO VAIN).
- - We worship BF5 like no other band on the planet.  Come on, I've got
their logo tattooed on my arm... what other band can demonstrate such
insane dedication? :-)

As he mentioned, send your votes for the TWO bands you'd like to see BF5
tour with to punkerboy@webtv.net

Next, I'm sorry to keep asking everyone to vote in the cover song
election, but on days when my plea appears in the Armchair, I get a lot
of ballots back.  On days when I don't ask, I don't get any.  So, if you
haven't voted yet, please visit the voting site and cast your vote at:
http://members.aol.com/nakedvegan

Next, Chiori or Azusa (can't remember which) told you that Robert &
Darren sang "anata baka" in Fair, but they didn't tell you what it meant.
 It means: "You're stupid!" :-)

Finally, I find it ironic that Beeftodd keeps posting rastafarian musings
given his name.  I mean, aren't most rastas vegetarians by religion? :-)

- -- Michael Bluejay (Austin, TX)

  http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE,

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 02:29:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: GCaleB1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #313

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 10:33:44 +0
From: "S I PICK (BA (Hons) Design)" <AJBA0048@newi.ac.uk>
Subject: TFI! TFI! TFI! TFI! TFI!!!!!

Hiya, folks!!

ooooo! I'm sooooo excited!! In reply to Holli's message in armchair
#312, BEN FOLDS FIVE WILL BE ON TFI FRIDAY THIS FRIDAY
COMING!! Set those videos, I think we're in for a good one...

Steve ;)~

AJBA0048@newi.ac.uk
http://www.ace.mdx.ac.uk/hyperhomes/houses/steven/home.htm
The almost finished Web page...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 09:36:58 0000
From: "K.V.SUTTON" <GG9C6SKV@swansea.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: BFF in the UK

Yeah!!! BFF are coming to the UK again. Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!
As for UK BFF fans, it might be a good idea to keep those videos
permanently set up ready to record,- they could be doing a few promo
spots. TFI Friday is a definite for a start!!!
Here's to the next few joyous weeks, and the London concert at the
end of it! (Except for my stinkin' exams!!!!)
K.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 10:25:32 -0500
From: absenter@thenexus.com
Subject: lounge-a-palooza

       you all probly already know about this, but i felt the need to
post and comment about it...besides, it's sort of cool to read about one
of your favorite bands on another of your favorite band's web page :)

       from http://www.sgi.net/soundgarden/misc/sgland.html:

     Wed May 14 03:46:59 EDT 1997
     "Black Hole Sun" to receive lounge treatment
     Yet another cover version of "Black Hole Sun" is set to be released
     this July, as part of Hollywood Records' Lounge-a-palooza
     compilation. The track will be performed by Steve Lawrence and Edie
     Gorme. "Black Hole Sun" has already been covered in the past by the
     Seattle Symphony, Weird Al Yankovic, The Moog Cookbook, and Cibo
     Matto. Other tracks on the Lounge-a-palooza release include Jimmy
     Scott and Flea's rendition of "Love Will Keep Us Together" and Ben
     Folds Five performing "She Don't Use Jelly."

       i wonder what this cd is gonna be like..all i can think of is
"grunge lite", if anyone's ever heard that one..scary elevator music
renditions of songs like "rusty cage" and "touch me, i'm sick" :)  but
then again i hardly think that ben folds five is elevator music, i abhor
the thought...i dunno..lounge music...such craziness...oh well, can't
wait to hear it.

       by the way, does anyone know the band's feelings of cameras at
their shows?  has anyone tried taking pictures or do they just not allow
you in with cameras, or what?  cause i wanna try taking pictures at the
show next week (next week!!!  heheh) if it's possible..

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 09:54:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gretch Gallagher <gall0031@tc.umn.edu>
Subject: bff in minneapolis

just wondering if anyone from the list is planning on going to the
minneapolis show.  i guess it is june 4 at first ave.---gigi

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 11:02:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Msksnow@aol.com
Subject: Horde Dates???

Does anyopne have any clue when HORDE is coming to Philly so we Philly fans
can see BFF again???

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 00:19:02 +0900
From: ayumu@kashi.email.ne.jp (ayumu kashiwakura)
Subject: I'm not sorry when they are big.

well, seems like I am the only one who have never posted
anything here among the japanese fivers,so I've decided join the
party finaly.

In #312, Chiori said that the last show of guys in tokyo was
the best and also told us not to cry to someone who missed the show,
but sorry I could not help crying as the one attended the a couple shows
but the last one of this japan tour.

I just skip that setlist-part but put little review here.
Eventhough they(9th and 18th) were the shortest shows(about less than
1.5hr for each) I have ever attended for the guys ,the quality was the
almost as vivid as the ones of the last tour in the small venue and it was
cool that I could see the wider variation of their music background in the
arangement... I guess they are really THE live band.

I understood the reason of the show being short was because of the curfew
prob from the post of the Tour Manager but I hope next time the guys can play
without worrying when to go home :>
It is kinda sad to see the cost of ticket gets higher and the venue gets big
er but
I guess they deserve every piece of fame and popularity they gonna get
in near future. (The situation towards pop music is bit tough, so it might take
a little while but they will be big for sure! yes they will, yes they will!)

I can go on this for forever but this is getting long so time to shut up.
Thanks for the great show to BF5, Please come back here soon.
and thanks to the armchair for me being able to get to know other fivers.
I wish BF5 make an album covered bunch of cover songs they play.

Ps. I saw 'truth about cats and dogs' but  could not listen to their song.
Could someone tell me when it is played in the movie?
 ( I am sure someone mentioned this before ,but sorry I missed it)

>> LOG OUT
      Thanks for reading. I am a post pet user! email me via PP.
      Ayumu Kashiwakura(ayumu@kashi.email.ne.jp)
        (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~xb9a-kswk/)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 11:15:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: PERCYSTAR@aol.com
Subject: Pittsburgh, Mitchell Lane :-O

Hello Fivers!
Hope you are all having a happy May.  I can't wait for June though....BFF in
Pittsburgh!  If anyone is going to the show, we should make up a special
thing we wear to know that we ride the Magical Armchair.  What about everyone
drawing a big five on their hand?  That way we could greet each other with
the five, and give each other high fives on the five because we are fivers...
maybe we'll be high fivers as well.  I am just about going crazy over this Mit
chell Lane, sounds like a really cool show, the last one in Japan, crazy all
new stuff antics show.  WUZ UP WITH THAT?!!:)!!?  Anyhow, just want to send a
shot out to Darren, for Mitchell Lane, and for bein AWS.  Stay chill
Fivers... super peace out.
Luv,
Heather

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 20:45:07 +0000
From: "B.D.WATTS" <tl6304@qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: The BLINDNESS of the British Music Press.

In today's (dated MAY24) issue of UK music paper Melody Maker there
is a review of the BFF's forthcoming single, Kate. This is quite cool
and the reviewer does say he likes it even if he is a tad damning on
the boys geekiness. Still the twat, by the name of Richard Smith has
the gall to claim that Ben Folds Five are not a band capable of
generating passion over. I have written to dissent and I urge you to
do likewise, show those idiots how out of touch they are. The address
is: your_shout@ipc.co.uk
Go to work and remember we've got the looks we've got the brains
we've got everything; they aint got shit.

BeN, your legal eagle.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:24:24 -0500
From: absenter@thenexus.com
Subject: heheh i hope im sending this to the right address

       umm..i need to direct this to ANYONE WHOM I SENT DIRECTIONS TO
SARATOGA WINNERS TO, either under this address (absenter@thenexus.com)
or under el266071@hvcc.edu.  if youre coming from north (I-87 south),
and i told you to take a right off of exit 8, that's not right, you need
to take a LEFT off of exit 8.  if you're coming from the south, (I-90,
I-87 north, the thruway), then the directions i gave to you are correct.
once you get to exit 8, take a right at the red light, go to hte next
red light, take a right, cross a bridge and winners will be on your
left.  sorry if i confused anyone :D

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 18:03:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sangame@aol.com
Subject: Slander, BEEFTODD and BFF

Is anyone else offended by the complete fanny know as BEEFTODD??  For some
reason he fills this amazing mailing list with utter trash.  Is he English or
some other inferiour nationality?  Ben and co come from our country, the
great USA, and we don't need people like you, Mr. (or Mrs. TODD) ruining this
posting.  Piss off and get a life you sad waster?  What's all this cheeky,
ruude, swear to god rubbish about.  How dare you slander my family name?  Is
it cool to be a baffoon in England?

Now onto BFF fellow Armcharians.  Just how cool are they live.  I went to the
Detroit show a couple of months back and they were just swell.  Ben pounded
that little piano with all he had, even with his head, after putting on a
special crash helmet to protect his beauty forehead.  Man this guy is
talented to the Pepsi Max.  And I can't believe Darren actually pulled a
moonie to the girl that shouted for him to get his kit off!  That was such a
cool response!  I'll be going back to see them again, just as long as my mom
can take me.  It's a bit embarrassing, but I would put up with the
humiliation to see this rad band again.

Has anybody heard the cricket noises on 'Cigarettes'.  If you listen closely
I swear holly molly that they are chirupping to the USA national anthem.  How
cute!  Listen out you guys and let me know!

I love BFF so much I'm thinking of changing my name to 'Kate'.  But that's
such a stupid name for a fifteen year old boy, so maybe 'Jackson' or
'Walter'.  This would be the ultimate hero worshipping thing to do for my
idol Ben.  I love him and if I was gay I would marry him, if he wasn't
married to Kate that it.  What do you guys out there think, Kate, Jackson or
Walter?  I've already got a stick piano tatoo on my right arm and the opening
lyrics of 'Underground' across my chest.  My mom would kill me if she knew.

Enough of the ramblings anyway.  Take care y'all, and if anybody else feels
the same way about that complete moron BEEFTODD, then lets do something about
it!  I was thinking of starting an 'I HATE BEEFTODD' pressure group.  What do
you think.

P.J. Sangame-fadge

Love, peace and harmony,
"Don't do drugs, go to school and be nice to your mom" (2 Scoops).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 18:38:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: SteveJG22@aol.com
Subject: Re: BFF IN CENTRAL PARK INFO

There seems to be some confusion about the concert, it is on June 25th at 6
30 tix are on sale through ticketmaster i got mine over the phone,
the show is called jazz fest 97' and it features 2 other bands, The band
Morphine is headling.
Personally i do not know anything about the band.
If you cannot score seats (btw it is general admission.. bleacher type
seats),  ilet it be known that it is an outside venue and you could make a
picnic out of the night.
All the trendy endies put  out a blanket light a candle and drink wine right
outside of the stage.
Well anyway i hope this info is informative.

steve