Issue #322 - May 27, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Tuesday, May 27 1997     Volume 01 : Number 322

To remove yourself from this mailing list, send an e-mail message to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

In the body of the message put the word:

       unsubscribe

Please do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself!

                NEW DOMAIN NAME FOR THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
Just when we are all getting used to the address, the domain name is
changing. From now on, please direct all posts to:

       armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Administrative messages (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc.) go to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Please change your address books accordingly!

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    todd rundren
    Suggestions for tourmates... Your last chance to Suggest.
    TFI Friday... Did you Videotape it?
    Re: BFF LIVE on BIG UK TV Show (TFI Friday)
    Ben's "Roadkill" story

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 11:28:44 +0000
From: hhor1@student.monash.edu.au
Subject: todd rundren

hi all

i remember reading all these posts about Todd Rundren (how fo you
spell it?) and influences or links to BBF.  i found a copy of one if
his records, early 80's can't remember the name, utopia or something, and there was one song that sounded faintly
like BBF, but sorry, the rest was crap!  not meaning to offend
anyone.  are there better albums i could look for that are good?  or
should i give it all up now?

sorry to say this but i have to get it off my chest;
i know i picked on beeftodd in the past, but i would never want him
to leave and that idiot who fully bagged him, get a life!

bye
chris

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 22:41:56 -0500
From: punkerboy@webtv.net ("JOHN SCHOLTES, Jr.")
Subject: Suggestions for tourmates... Your last chance to Suggest.

Hello All...

          As many of you already know, I am still taking suggestions for
bands for BF5 to tour with. Who would you like to see our boys with out
on the road at a venue near you? That's the question. Please email me
with up to  2 suggestions to be balltized and voted upon this week. The
ballot will most likely come out tommarow (the day after you recieve
this digest) or the day after. So... THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO
SUGGEST!!!! I have already gotton a lot of great suggestions, but there
are a lot of other good bands out there  that people have not suggested
which is why you give me your thoughts IMMEDIATELY!!

          Please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD (and/or Ben), send me your 2
suggestions now. Note: BNL, TMBG, Fleming & John, and Soul Coughing have
already been suggested (along with about 30 other bands) so don't
suggest those bands. Get yur suggestions in NOW because suggestions will
no longer be taken after 3:00 PM Central Time. FRANK MAYNARD... I
haven't heard from you yet, buddy. Very interested in your thoughts on
the matter.

          Thanks for your endurance of my long posts...

                                   The Idiot King,

                                        Johnny

P.S.- Happy Memorial Day to those of us in the U.S. :o)

"I'm crazy, but I get the job done" - Ben Folds

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/PunkSkaAndMore/index.html     Punk Ska And More!

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/1187/   The Flannel Tubs online

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 22:47:02 -0500
From: punkerboy@webtv.net ("JOHN SCHOLTES, Jr.")
Subject: TFI Friday... Did you Videotape it?

Hello All!

          Johnny here, once again, looking for a bit of help from our
friends in the UK. Did any of you happen to tape TFI Friday? I am very
interested in getting a copy of it. If any of you have a copy
(preferably along with the ability to make a copy in a way that it can
be played on an American system VCR), please email me privately (don't
post on the Armchair) and let me know. I will gladly send along a blank
tape and sufficient postage to get it back to me.

          Thanks a bunch!

                                        The Idiot King,
                                                Johnny
  punkerboy@webtv.net

P.S.- 3 Cheers for BeefTodd! (Sorry I couldn't resist... he's just so
cheeky. *l*)    :o)

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 14:20:27 AEST-10
From: GVAL2@PHS01.CC.MONASH.EDU.AU
Subject: Priority: normal

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 11:52:34 +0000
From: d.binks@ukonline.co.uk (Daniel Binks)
Subject: Re: BFF LIVE on BIG UK TV Show (TFI Friday)

>Date: 24 May 1997 20:24:53 GMT
>From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira)
>Subject: Re: BFF LIVE on BIG UK TV Show (TFI Friday)

>> I think this will be their first LIVE UK
>> televsion apperance.
>
>No, they were on "Later with Jools Holland" about a year ago I think.
>
>Daniel

Yeah they did Philosophy. Jools said they had to play near the end because
Ben put the Piano out of tune.

No time to search the world around
cus you know where i'll be found WHEN I COME AROUD
GREEN DAY - BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG 1994

Visit my website
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/Members/d.binks/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 97 15:40:53 -0500
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@pobox.com>
Subject: Ben's "Roadkill" story

Steve Clay wrote:

>	Also BF5 did an interview last year at our local station and, in
>the middle, Ben changed the subject and started a 5 minute discussion
>about how all his life he's had "tornado dreams" and his personal therapy
>has been to buy lots of tornado videos.  (This was a bit after "Twister"
>came out)  And he goes on about how the best tornado videos are at
>Walmart.  Well, it's getting pretty obvious that Ben has a big
>lying-to-the-media problem and I want to start a case study.  So...
>	Anyone with humorous stories of BF5 just making crap up, let's
>hear em'!

Before BF5 played here last month, they did a short interview with the
Austin Chronicle.  The Chronicle has a regular column about touring bands
called "Roadkill". (Get it?)  Anyway, who knows whether the following is
true or not, but here's the article as it ran in the Chron:

- --------
ROADKILL: BEN FOLDS FIVE

A small misunderstanding about this interview's leitmotif and Ben Folds,
the piano-playing popster frontman of the vainly named Ben Folds Five,
gets all excited.  "You're doing a 'Roadkill' piece and you're asking ?
You don't realize what you've come upon."  Before I can explain to Folds
that "Roadkill" is just the title of the Chronicle's touring-bands
feature and not really about flattened squirrels or mangled armadillos,
Folds, thinking he's going to win some kind of bizarre contest, launches
into his story.

"We hit a bear, a 300-pound black bear -- like the biggest black bear
anyone has ever seen," claims Folds with a little too much gusto.  "It
wrapped the front of the truck around the tire so it was squealing, and
anti-freeze was spraying on the windshield.  Guys were screaming in the
truck and I was trying to keep it on the road, but I couldn't tell where
the road was."

After navigating to a safe stop, Folds and drummer Darren Jesse hiked
back up the road to see what it was they'd hit.  "We didn't actually know
it was a bear until the highway patrol came and his brother, who happened
to be one of those stuffed animal guys -- a, uh, taxidermist -- came up,
threw it in his truck, and took off.  Then we found out it was worth a
lot of money, but I didn't care anyway," recalls Folds.  "The thing that
made me really sad was that he had grass in his mouth.  He was like over
on the side of the road, eating grass and minding his own business, and
here comes a rock band at 100 miles an hour to take his life."

The wreckage to the band's touring vehicle was mostly cosmetic and far
less terminal than it had been for the bear.  According to Folds, "We
bent the dents out ourselves.  It looks bad.  We had to get a new tire
and radiator.  There was a lot of hair in the grille."

Folds then tries to lock up the mythical "Roadkill" story first-place
trophy by adding another yarn to the band's truck-meets-animal lore.  "We
almost ran into that Pat guy from the Smithereens," he quips.  "We've
still got one of those sweatpants drawstrings in the grille."

That could actually cost Folds points with the judges, though as
[actually] running over Pat DiNizio may constitute a service.  -- Michael
Bertin

I find it ironic that the writer referred to BF5 as being "vainly" named,
considering how many of you have voted for "You're So Vain" in the BF5
cover song election.  And by the way, I've received 72 ballots, with 28
to go, so if you haven't voted yet, please visit
http://members.aol.com/nakedvegan

- -- Michael Bluejay (Austin, TX)