Issue #330 - June 1, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest      Sunday, June 1 1997      Volume 01 : Number 330

To remove yourself from this mailing list, send an e-mail message to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

In the body of the message put the word:

       unsubscribe

Please do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself!

                NEW DOMAIN NAME FOR THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
Just when we are all getting used to the address, the domain name is
changing. From now on, please direct all posts to:

       armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Administrative messages (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc.) go to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Please change your address books accordingly!

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    re: "Kate"  B-sides
    Jeff Buckley.....dead...what now????
    Ben Folds Five:  A good cover (In my opinion)
    Official BF5 Taping Policy?
    hehe
    Center Park concert
    oh yeah...
    Decisions...
    Piano!
    i'm sorry, no ben folds.nonetheless, tragic news...please read
    review of the 9:30 Club show
    Dutch Bands...
    like anyone cares, my top ten albums
    10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10
    Re: String Section
    Pittsburgh and Cincinatti

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 09:14:00 +0900
From: Azusa Motohashi <EZC00110@niftyserve.or.jp>
Subject: re: "Kate"  B-sides

Hi there,

Rebecca Cole wrote,

>Got my hands on the "Kate" singles and I love "Mitchell Lane." I remember
>someone saying that Darren had written it, and that he had sung it in
>concert, but it is most certainly Ben singing on this version. So I'm
>confused. It doesn't say on the sleeve who wrote the song...anyone know for
>sure?

Scott, their tour staff, told us Darren wrote "Mitchell Lane"  when
we asked him whether he knew the name of encore song ,after the show
on May 19th. ( And more ,I didn't know how to spell the words, he kindly
wrote to me " Mitchel Lane  by Darren Jessee " on a bit of paper.)

Rebecca,this is what I know about " Mitchell Lane" .

Azusa

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 20:19:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: FineExampl@aol.com
Subject: Jeff Buckley.....dead...what now????

According to a Lt. Maples of the Memphis Police Dept.:

"At this time his body has not surfaced and he is presumed dead, but we
are still searching," says Maples. "We're dragging the river and have
scuba divers and a rescue team out. A missing person report was filed by
his companion, who said they were playing guitar, singing, and listening
to the radio when Jeff decided to go into the river, fully clothed. He
was up to his waist, singing still, when a boat came by and caused waves
in the river. The companion asked him to come back on the bank. There
were no signs of struggle at the time. The companion went back to the
bank to move the radio so it didn't get wet from the waves and when he
turned around Jeff was no longer visible. He searched the river for 10
minutes before calling the police around 9:30 or 10 p.m. last night."

Maples says that the river has a strong undertow and current and that
Buckley could've traveled some distance. "If he had gone further down
and had gotten out, he would've contacted someone. But no one's heard
from him," says Maples.

(end of story)

Stay strong, talk to each other and say a prayer for Jeff.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 21:39:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: PogoDavE@aol.com
Subject: Ben Folds Five:  A good cover (In my opinion)

I think it would be so nEEto if Ben Folds Five did a cover of Rhinestone
Cowboy.  I know I have heard Radiohead give it a try, and I liked it, so I
think it would be nEEto too hear Ben Folds Five do that!!

Gotta phly,
Buh-bye now,
DaVeY BoY--The International Spaceman of PEZ

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 21:43:24 -0500
From: x96woods@juno.com (Jason A Woods)
Subject: Official BF5 Taping Policy?

hey guys,
   going to my first BF5 show on June 3rd in Milwaukee, thought i'd
share... ANYWAY, I am a taper- I do mostly DMB, Phish, and Blues
Traveler, BUT i'm quite excited to hear the rumor that BF5 allows
taping...

   So I come to you guys- the experts. Can i bring in my mic stand, as
long as its in an out of the way location (usually behind the
soundboard), and not too tall? Hope someone can help me out... i just
don't want to have to lug all the taping shtuff up there, only to find
out I can make use of it... if you've got answers, email privately, so we
don't waste space... Thanks!

Jason

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 23:59:46 -0500
From: absenter@thenexus.com
Subject: hehe

       i went to the mall today sporting my fresh new autographed ben
folds five shirt to look for new shoes and this is what happened at foot
locker:

       salesman (looking at my shirt): ben folds five?  what's that?
ben folds five what?
       me: ben folds is the guy's name..it's a band..
       salesman: i never heard of em.  (to customer)  have you heard of
ben folds five?  he's supposed to be all that.
       customer: no....
       salesman: whatever and ever amen.  what is that?  is he a
religious guy?
       me: i don't think so...
       salesman: hmmm.  was he in the NBA?
       me: no, no, no.

       i wanted to fall over laughing at the thought of ben folds in the
NBA, but i kept myself composed.. :)  i met the guy last night and he's
all that, but a bit short for pro basketball, or so i thought, anyway.
who knows.  i'm sure he could give michael jordan a run for his money on
the piano :)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 00:26:08 -0400
From: David Della Bitta <ddel4695@uriacc.uri.edu>
Subject: Center Park concert

Is anyone from Rhode Island going to go see them in NY because I have
nobody around me who wants to go. :(

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 01:14:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: SETH1234@aol.com
Subject: oh yeah...

bout the moshin, if you asses that were behind me that were moshin are on
this list DIE!  i was two feet way from the stage and the three of you were
right behind me, dumbasses.  somethin like this was sputtering through their
vacuous skulls at the time of the show, "i know, lets drink, then go to the
show and mosh!!!   woo hoo, just like at the slayer concerts that we always
used to go to!!!"  well i got news for you three peeps that were up front and
moshing, THE SLAYER TOURS OUT!!!   anyway, thats all i wanted to say, since i
saw someone else say somethin bout it on the last mailin.  and to the person
that was next to me, you know, you separated me from the rest of my friends,
no im kiddin, if your on this list by any chance, thanks for the explaination
for brick.  thats all i have to say, thanks, lata
Seth

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 01:36:02 -0400
From: Evan Chakroff <chakroff@ee.net>
Subject: Decisions...

I have to decide what Ben Folds Five is worth.
Is seeing them worth...
 ... driving halfway across the state on a school night, and the day before
finals?
 ... paying $30 for a 30 minute set at HORDE?
 ... waiting until they come closer to my area?

I probably would drive to the concert on monday, if I had thought of it
sooner and gotten some friends together... oh well.

- -ec

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 15:49:25 +1000 (EST)
From: Carly Clutterbuck <Carly.Clutterbuck@jcu.edu.au>
Subject: Piano!

Hullo there all,

Recently, someone wrote in about piano parts for and BFF songs and I would
have to second that.  Being a pianist myself and loving Bens amnner of
playing, I would really like to get any music possible.  Unfortunately,
Australia is a very protected country and most haven't even heard of BFF
let alone got music anywhere.  I had to drive for 12 hours just to get
their first self-title Cd.

If anyone can help me, Email me privately.  Thanks repeatedly and C-ya
round!

Carly.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 06:44:48, -0500
From: QPQJ32A@prodigy.com (MS KIMBERLY   HORN)
Subject: i'm sorry, no ben folds.nonetheless, tragic news...please read

- -- [ From: Seferina Lozano * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

i'm sorry to write and send this, but i have two pieces of information
to spread
first of all, the lead singer of brainiac died on may 23rd of an
automobile accident
his name was tim taylor..
he had bought a 1977 mercedes benz and as he was driving it one night,
the gas pedal got stuck and accelerated to the speed of 80-something
miles per hour and eventually hit some telephones amongst other things..
..
brainiac was about to be signed to a major label right when he died

second of all, the one that hits me the most, jeff buckley's body was
finally found in the mississippi river
he was about to enter pre-production in memphis for his follow-up to the
brilliant major label lp debut, grace
he was swimming with a friend, when a boat had come by and then he
disappeared
i don't know exactly the story, but he was missing for awhile....there
was a search and some hope, but his body was eventually found.....

he was a beautiful singer, writer, musician, and person
he helped through the hellish moments of my depression and really hit my
heart in a place that no other singer/songwriter/musician did....corny
but true...

mahalo nui loa for reading
:~(

seferina lozano
- --
A Dream

In vision of the dark night
    I have dreamed of joy departed,

But a waking dream of light and light
    Hath left me broken hearted

Ah! What is not a dream by day
    To him whose eyes are cast

On things aruond him, with a ray
    Turned back upon on the past?

That holy dream, that holy dream,
    While all the world were hiding,

Hath cheered me as a lovely beam
    A lonely spirit gliding

What though that light, thro' storm and night,
    So trembled from afar-

What could there be more purely bright
    In truth's day-star?

edgar allen poe.....
seferina lozano
QPQJ32A@prodigy.com
QPQJ32D@prodigy.com
vertigrl@hotmail.com
skankinswinger@hotmail.com

(808) 396-2092 582-1524

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 09:14:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: RESRVRDOG@aol.com
Subject: review of the 9:30 Club show

hey there hi there to all....

i JUST got back this morning from one of the BEST NIGHTS OF MY LIFE!!!!!  the
show was just TOO amazing....i wish ALL of you coulda been there.

Unfortunately, Ben opened the show instead of headlining.  Bettie Serveert
was the band headlining, and they just sucked.  Why would Ben open for them?

Anyway....i got there about 6:30, and finally the doors opened at 7.  i
immediately rushed to the front and me and my friend melissa stood right in
front of Ben's piano.  i coulda played it if i wanted to.  but i didn't.
 anyway....ben and the boys finally got out and began at 9:30, and it was so
phuking incredible.  here's the setlist as i remember it....(some of the
songs were improvs...i'll explain in a minute):

Steven's Last Night in Town
One Angry Dwarf
Kate
Philosophy
Selfless, Cold, and Composed
The Last Polka
Jackson Cannery
::they skipped Smoke (?), and played, instead::....
Missing the War
Brick
Fair
Theme from Dr. Pyser
Battle of Who Could Care Less
Song for the Dumped
Underground
and for the encore:
The Brad Song
Julianne

at some point they played a song called Xenox Garavito.  this was the name of
a guy there who is in a band, and was throwing his business card on Ben's
piano before the show.  Ben picked up one of the cards and played this improv
song about it....it was pretty cool.

as for the Brad Song....that's me.  I'M Brad.  i was yelling at Ben to play
the Big Song, and he paused a minute before playing whatever the next song
was, and explained the  Big Song situation and how it occured, and then said
"but later on tonight you all might get to here the Brad Song" (he asked what
my name was a few minutes before hand).  and sure enough...right before
Julianne he played the Brad song...i was soooo amazed.   it was toooo cool.

after the show, i was able to see ben in the dressing room, and when i walked
in he said, "Hey Brad!!!"  we talked about all sorts of stuff and i told him
how i was a magician, and loved the line about magic tricks in Best Imitation
of Myself.  then i showed him a magic trick.  it was pretty cool.  we hung
out for about 10 minutes, and i got his autograph, and then i left.  it was
definitely one of the best nights and experiences EVER.  you must ALL see a
BFF show before its too late.  you'll never forget it.  if any of you are
going to upcoming shows, ask Ben about the Brad song....i'm interested to
hear what he says.

Frank Maynard...i was able to get about 30 pictures or so.  if you are
interested in copies of them, just email me.  thanx.  oh...and ben says hi.

whatever and ever, amen...
brad

p.s.  those of you going to upcoming shows, print out some Armchairs, and
give them to ben. he says he hasn't seen any in a while, and he might be
interested in reading a few.

"go ahead you can laugh all you want...i got my philosophy" B. Folds
"i don't want the world, i just want your half"  tmbg

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 10:12:57 -0400
From: Rod Allen <RAllen@mmms.com>
Subject: Dutch Bands...

Three words:  Bettie Seveert Bites.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 11:32:23 -0300 (ADT)
From: Daniel MacEachern <dmaceach@is2.dal.ca>
Subject: like anyone cares, my top ten albums

No particular order.

Ben Folds Five - both albums
Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
54*40 - Dear Dear
Sloan - Smeared
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Now I Got Worry
The Beatles - self-titled (the white album)

Daniel
Halifax

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 10:39:37 -0400
From: David Beck <drbeck@ibm.net>
Subject: 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

hello all, the name is officer friendly, and i thought id respond to the
latest fad on the chair. My top ten are as follows:

BFF..any album
Ben Harper..fight for your mind
G Love..G love and special sauce
Victoria Williams..loose
Wallflowers..Wallflowers
Counting Crows..August and Everything..
Long Fin Killie..Valentino
Bob Dylan..absolutely anything is a masterpiece(get well soon!)
Wild Colonials..this cant be life
DMB..Remember 2 things

really no particular order, just my idea of a good compilation

officer friendly

sorry if i sent this twice

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 11:07:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Enloejr@aol.com
Subject: Re: String Section

     I just wanted to second the string section rumor. Before the Boston
show, Ben, Darren and Robert were being interviewed live on radio station
WBCN. When asked about the HORDE tour, Ben said that they would be touring
with a four-piece string section.

That's all I know.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 11:01:38 -0400
From: sandishortcake@juno.com (Sandi Shorter)
Subject: Pittsburgh and Cincinatti

Anybody going to the Pittsburgh show tomorrow night (Sunday night) or the
Cincinatti show Monday night?  I'll be at both.  If anyone wants to meet
up, e-mail me before tomorrow early afternoon.  Also, are we identifying
ourselves any specific way?  Someone mentioned putting a number 5 on our
hands, but I don't know if that was serious or not...and I'm not sure I'm
willing to deface my palm that way...ha, ha.

Sandi

"get born.  keep warm.  short pants.  romance."  -Dylan
http://kent.edu/~sshorter
Where we discuss the Wallflowers, BF5, strange dreams, & things that piss
us off!
Check it out!                 sandishortcake@juno.com

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 12:43:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Meotis@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #328

por favor, I would like some BF5 bootlegs..anybody..anybody..
Gracias..
Email me at meotis@aol.com or meotis@davidson.edu