Issue #331 - June 1, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest      Sunday, June 1 1997      Volume 01 : Number 331

To remove yourself from this mailing list, send an e-mail message to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

In the body of the message put the word:

       unsubscribe

Please do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself!

                NEW DOMAIN NAME FOR THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
Just when we are all getting used to the address, the domain name is
changing. From now on, please direct all posts to:

       armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Administrative messages (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc.) go to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Please change your address books accordingly!

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    silver sun + torhout/werchter
    9:30, oh my
    Reading, Berkshire, England, and Neil Hannon

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 09:56:45 -0700
From: Joris Gillet <gillet@pi.net>
Subject: silver sun + torhout/werchter

somebody wrote:

> Oh , and ten bands/albums ? Sure :
>
> Silver Sun : Silver Sun

ha, just bought that one yesterday and i was just thinking about that it
reminded me a lot of bf5. it's basically you're average guitar-punkpop.
but the songs are great (with lots of ooh-sha-la-la's in the background)
and the last song is a piano-song which would fit right on whatever and
ever, amen.....

oh, sadly enough bf5 will not play on the torhout/werchter-festival 4th
and 5th of july in belgium, they rather do some american dates. but most
likely somebody already mentioned this....

Joris Gillet
http://home.pi.net/~gillet/joris.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 13:29:28 +0600
From: Patrick Savage <psavage@vt.edu>
Subject: 9:30, oh my

Oy, what a show!  I'm still reeling from the sheer coolness that is Ben
Folds Five...these guys are so great live!  I got there shortly before the
doors opened and saw Ben walk by the throng of people waiting but nobody
seemed to notice.  And I saw an acoustic guitar on their bus..I wonder what
they'd use _that_ for. :)  So we go in and while we wait for two and a half
HOURS, we are treated to some cool loungy-type music, what with this being
the "Ultra-Lounge" and all.  Some of it was loungy versions of other songs
like Black Hole Sun and even Istanbul not Constantinople!  Istanbul was
more like the original Four Lads version than the TMBG one but still very
cool.

Finally BFF took the stage and played some songs which I can't remember all
of but I'm sure someone will post a setlist.  Ben was hilarious..lots of
kooky faces and butt-wiggling and stuff.  I was standing right in front of
Ben so I could see him play at blinding speeds and slam the hell out of the
poor Baldwin.  I'm so amazed that he can stomp on it, body slam it, etc.
and _still_ make it sound great.  THAT takes talent.

Someone had thrown a business card or something on the piano so Ben made up
a little song about it and we even got a little Bill Clinton impression
that was really funny.  They also did a super-extendo jam in the middle of
Song For the Dumped where Robert unplugged his bass and made this really
wacky sound by touching the plug to the bass strings.  Then there was an
awkward moment where they just stopped and all looked at each other 'cause
no one knew where to start the song up again so Ben says something like
"Ok, I'll count to 4 and we'll pick it up at the chorus".

It was a pretty short set..only about an hour, so we didn't get to hear
Jelly or Pretty People but I guess they had to leave time for Bettie
Serveert.  I wasn't impressed with BS at all but there seemed to be quite a
few people there who were fans even though half the club emptied out during
their set.  The Five were great though and I hope they come back to D.C. soon!

- --
Pat
psavage@vt.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 12:14:12 +0100
From: Darren Anthony Lee <darren@elgar.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Reading, Berkshire, England, and Neil Hannon

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd drop you all a line to say Hi - I've been lurking a
while and have been stressing out over preparing a report for work - for
which I am not paid enough money....

ANYHOW - Anyone reading this whose going to the Shepherds Bush Empire
gig in July - please raise your hands right up high - there are 11 of us
going in a group from Reading (Hi Em - Stop lurking woman and say
something!! ;) oh yeah , and Hi to Big D!) and the more the merrier!

Please forgive me for mentioning this but I went over to NYC last month
and sang backing for Neil Hannon after a microphone went down... and Mr
Hannon is it transpires of our boys B, D and R. Which was nice...

Anyhow, have a good weekend all...

Luv,

Darren Anthony Lee
Home Page Sweet Home Page - www.elgar.demon.co.uk