Issue #334 - June 4, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Wednesday, June 4 1997    Volume 01 : Number 334

Note: The mailing list server malfunctioned and sent out two
different issues numbered 333 and 334. This is the first 334.

To remove yourself from this mailing list, send an e-mail message to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

In the body of the message put the word:

       unsubscribe

Please do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself!

                NEW DOMAIN NAME FOR THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
Just when we are all getting used to the address, the domain name is
changing. From now on, please direct all posts to:

       armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Administrative messages (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc.) go to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Please change your address books accordingly!

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Top Ten records...
    Re: minneapolis meeting ideas
    The final word on names
    Tasty Tasty Hi-Hat Shit
    as if you care....
    DC Show/Spin/top 9 or so

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 10:31:41 -0400
From: "Brian R. Kessler" <bkessler@btv.ibm.com>
Subject: Top Ten records...

Yea, why not...  here goes (in no particular order):

      Possum Dixon       - _Possum Dixon_
      Son Volt           - _Trace_
      Barenaked Ladies   - _Gordon_
      Luna               - _Lunapark_
      Wilco              - _Being There_
      Cracker            - _Kerosene Hat_
      Ben Folds Five     - _Ben Folds Five_
      Indigo Girls       - _Nomads, Indians, & Saints_
      Pearl Jam          - _Ten_
      Uncle Tupelo       - _Anodyne_

Peace, skiing, & music,
Brian

- --
"Never seem to get far enough / Staying in between the lines..." - Son Volt
- --------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:28:53 -0500 (CDT)
From: Clio <carv0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Re: minneapolis meeting ideas

Sounds good to me...i don't know if i'll make the 5 ish think cause i
have family i haven't seen for a year coming in town and plus i work till
5:30 but i'll be near the speakers around 6:30 ish probably---
amie

- --Amie Carvel
"I just can't get rid of you like you got rid of me, ohhh but I send you my
     best cause God knows you've seen my worst"
		Ben Folds Five
http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m429/carv0022
carv0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 12:30:53 -0700
From: GoodOmen <melani69@idt.net>
Subject: The final word on names

Dear Friends at the Armchair,

I have gotten so little response from my last post that I decided to give in.  There will
be NO official name for us Armchair folks.  So call us what you like.  Sorry, it just
didn't work out:(

GoodOmen:)(:

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 11:52:02 PDT
From: "toby oler" <mrtatemyballs@hotmail.com>
Subject: Tasty Tasty Hi-Hat Shit

I saw my second BFF show last night and it was twice to six times as
good as lollapalooza last year.  It was at Bogart's in Cincinatti, which
we had a hard time getting there, because the Buckeyes have such a
fucked up traffic system.  But anyway:

Steven's last night in town (he'sfucked everyone here, except Tamara
Easter)
One angry dwarf
Kate
Philosophy (introduced as Sandy's theme)
Missing the War
Selfless Cold and Composed
Battle of who could Care less
Black Sabbath-Day One?>Root Down Rap>Day One>Gin and Juice
(Snoop Robby Robb's in the Motherfuckin' hayouse)
Fair
A Daniel Johnston Song
IronMan>Brick (Rob on upright bass)
Theme from Dr. Pyser
Jackson Cannery
Smoke
She don't use Jelly
Sports&Wine
Underground

Encore:
Best Imitation of Myself
Uncle Walter

In Best imitation he pulled up two people from the Audience and had them
dance on his piano a la Dancing in the Dark.  Rob played a solo on his
srtings with the guitar cord when Ben was playing his strings with a
micrphone.  The best show I've ever seen, better than Phish, Beck, DMB,
Blues Traveler, The Roots, anybody.
After the show Ben came out and signed Autographs(my CPR card) and was
very very nice to everyone, then Rob and Darren came out and did the
same.  Some girl  asked Rob to draw a turtle on her BFF poster and he
did.

Toby Oler
mrtatemyballs@hotmail.com

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 15:48:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: KDM92772@aol.com
Subject: as if you care....

Hey armchairians....

someone asked what HORDE was...Horizons of rock developing everywhere.  cool
show.  I went last year to see DMB and Rusted Root, and it was keen, despite
the fact that festivals in Phoenix in the summer are like hell on earth.
 Horde this year...july 18th.  Sunstroke here I come.

oh, and this is maybe a list of ten. (of all time?) changes all the time.

Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five
Billy Bragg - Back to Basics
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Beastie Boys - License to Ill
James - Seven
the Cure - The Top
Crowded House - Together Alone
Weezer - Weezer
REM - Life's Rich Pageant
Bauhaus - 79-83 vol I &II
Ruth Ruth - Laughing Gallery

whoops that was eleven.  i counted wrong.  sorry.  well, i can't pick one to
eliminate so deal with it.  well.. that is all for now....

With Love and Frolicking....kristin

"So much time....so little to say."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 19:53:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Autumn Patterson <apatte2@gl.umbc.edu>
Subject: DC Show/Spin/top 9 or so

Hi.  Thus far noone has mentioned my favorite part of the May 30th show.
It went a little smthg like this:

Audience(hands raised and flailing about in the air): mumblemumblemumble
Ben: Ooh! Me! Me! Me! Me! (listens a bit)
     Everybody, it's Chris' 18th birthday!
<Intro to Kate>
Robert (in his best cheesy band member voice): This one goes out to Chris!

(c= I found that the band had much less energy than you all made them out
to have.  except for the impromptu songs and such they didn't seem to play
to the audience much.  The music was spectacular however.  Too bad our
ride didn't feel like sticking around so by the time my boyfriend and I
got back to the club we got to see the last 1/2 of a Bettie Serveert song.
Since everyone was crowded over on the Ben side of the stage when the
doors first opened, we opted to stand in front of Robert and the bass.
excellent choice! He was by far the most energetic.I feel bad b/c the
drunk dudes next to us (sorry if they're on this list) kept trying to talk
to him, trying to exchange a beer for a song they wanted to hear.  Hmm...I
just realized this isn't very coherent...let me move one.

The next day I went to our local music festival (the HFStival) and I
spotted two different guys in the "Middle C" tshirt! (c= and a guy in a
TMBG Dial A Song tshirt and a guy wearing the sheep from wallace &Gromit
for those of you who might care.

QUESTION: I read in Spin Magazine...
          "Would Ben Folds Five rather be compared to Elton John, Billy
Joel or Tori amos (or none of the above)?  Find out June 27th when
SPINonline quizzes the genteel Chapil Hill, North Carolina, trio about the
state of piano-pop and the plight of the sincer geek. Keyword: Heavy"

Does anyone know if this will be a live chat or just an interview they did
or what? In other words, is it worth taking my mug off the free AOL CD and
actually *gasp* putting it in my computer?

Lastly, my fave albums at the moment in some semblance of order:
They Might Be Giants-Lincoln * Ben Folds Five-self-titled * Liz
Phair-Exile in Guyville * They Might Be Giants-Flood * Stereolab-Emperor
Tomato Ketchup * Jesus in a Sidecar-Random Acts of Chinese Food * Liz
Phair-Whipsmart * Autour de Lucie-self-titled * BF5-Whatever and Ever Amen

 oOo
oOoOo   ...
 OOO   (^^^)
  |<>    |       Goddess of the Lick