Issue #335 - June 6, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest      Friday, June 6 1997      Volume 01 : Number 335

To remove yourself from this mailing list, send an e-mail message to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

In the body of the message put the word:

       unsubscribe

Please do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself!

                NEW DOMAIN NAME FOR THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
Just when we are all getting used to the address, the domain name is
changing. From now on, please direct all posts to:

       armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Administrative messages (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc.) go to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Please change your address books accordingly!

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Old digests and a first show and such...
    top 10
    I'm a sheep
    BFF
    mixtape madness and top 10
    Yep, it's another top ten.
    Cincy show, top 10.
    Boxing
    Any traders out there?
    MPLS show
    Minneapolis show
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #334
    Ben article/soundclip

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:44:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: LaraCB@aol.com
Subject: Old digests and a first show and such...

Ok, in the process of transfering my digests from school to home, I missed a
few, or a bunch, really.  And (stupidly) I did this right while I was
attending my first show.  I'd like to hear what everyone else had to say
about it.  I think I misses like 25 digests...  I got 332.  Um, if anyone
wants to take the time to forward me a few that might contain stuff from the
show (providence  RI, May 28) that'd be great, or if someone sends a bunch
that's cool too.  Someone out there must save the digests.. thanks!

Ok, it was a good show.  I was the forth person in the door.  I picked the
wrong side of the stage, right in front of Robert.  Not that he wasn't cute
and amazingly talented (I coulda died happy right in front of the stand-up
bass on brick.  AMAZING)  But I could only see the top of ben's head bobbing
and I had been really psyched up to see him sing all those songs I've heard
so many times.  Ya know?  For anyone heading out to a first concert.....

         I                       darren                  I
         I    ben  I piano  I                           I
         I         I          I           robert        I
       I                                      I
                                          me
Wow! I hope that diagram comes out alright...  I've never tried to draw
something on email before.  It's tough!  So, lesson, for y'all- pianos are
big, and Ben needs a glass one!

Show was good.  I won't post more until I know what's been said...  but I
loved the bit he sang in his boxers!

Okey- thanks for humoring me...

Lara

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 19:46:05 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Adam 'DeLicious' DeLisse" <adeliss@comp.uark.edu>
Subject: top 10

jeez, if you're gonna force me to do it....fine!!!
i'm usually pretty quiet on the armchair, you wouldn't know i have been on
it since about digest #50.  oh well, here it goes:

Ben Folds Five -- (self titled)
Wynton Marsalis -- Carnaval (out of print :(  )
Cake -- Fashion Nugget
U2 -- Joshua Tree
BFF - Whatever (Kate gets best single ever)
Pearl Jam -- No Code (just kidding!!)
Stone Temple Pilots -- Purple
Saturday Morning Cartoons (check out the Frente! track)
Sir Mix-A-Lot -- umm...the one with baby got back..full of great white rap
that's all i can think of

have a beautiful day

Adam DeLisse
					.
				       / \
				      / V \
				     /     \
				    / V V V \
				   /   V V   \
				  / V   V   V \
				 /             \
				/ V V V V V V V \
			       /   V V V V V V   \
			      / V   V V V V V   V \
			     /       V V V V       \
			    / V V V   V V V   V V V \
			   /   V V     V V     V V   \
			  / V   V   V   V   V   V   V \
			 /____________________________ \

   ...............and people say there is no beauty in math..............

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 20:54:35 -0400
From: "Dan Cherney" <DrFraggah@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: I'm a sheep

I must follow the crowd.. i am a sheep...

(as of now)
1. Bela Felck & the Flecktones- Live Art
2. Toad the Wet Sprocket- Coil
3. Ben Folds Five- Ben Folds Five
4. Dave Mattews Band- Under the table...
5. Phish- A Picture of Nectar
6. Phish- Lawn Boy
7. Ben Folds Five- Whatever & ever...
8. Toad the Wet Sprocket- Dulcinea
9. Barenaked Ladies- Gordon
10. Counting Crows- August and Everything After

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 21:19:51 +0000
From: Mark Arenz <marka@indy.net>
Subject: BFF

First heard "Battle" three weeks ago.  Bought the record within hours
(something I almost NEVER do).  Listened to it on vacation several dozen
times.  Oh, my.

But here's my question for the list: does anyone hear Joe Jackson-esque
chord changes or falsetto movements in Ben's compositions?

I sure do.

My tippy-top ten (in no particular order)

Joe Jackson "Body & Soul"
Beatles "Revolver"
Jane's Addiction (self-titled)
New Order "Brotherhood"
Enino Moricone "The Mission"
Pavement "Slanted & Enchanted"
Dave Brubeck "Time Out"
Buffalo Tom "Big Red Letter Day"
Jeff Buckly "Grace"
BFF-BFF
- --
Mark Arenz

marka@indy.net
http://members.aol.com/MarkA10167/index.htm

(765) 483-0322

2015 Yosemite Dr.
Lebanon, IN  46052

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 23:09:25 -0400
From: cynthia@people.timeinc.com (Cynthia Wang)
Subject: mixtape madness and top 10

Hi all,

Made another mix tape discovery: The Artist Formerly Known as Prince's "I
Like it There" slips right into "Uncle Walter." Really, it's pretty cool.
Also, in mock tribute to Oasis, having "Wonderwall" from the Mike Flowers
Pops lead into BFF's "Champagne Supernova" also works. Do any of you have
other great BFF-mix tape links?

As for top 10 albums, it's really hard to put a list together because some
albums that you *know* are not great may still be your favorites, just
because you listened to them so much as a kid/teen/young adult, or
something. Whereas, some CDs you listen to a lot now may end up being
fly-by-night, temporary flings. Given all that, aside from both BFF CDs,
which of course I love (duh), here are 10 I really enjoy:

Crowded House's Temple of Low Men
Squeeze's Play
INXS's Kick
Aztec Camera's High Land, Hard Rain
Duran Duran's Rio
Housemartin's London 0, Hull 4
Jonatha Brooke & the Story's Plumb
Scritti Politti's Cupid & Psyche 85
Jellyfish's Bellybutton
Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits

Gee, do I show my age or what?!

See y'all later,
Cynthia

- -------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 11:23:29 -0700
From: Michael Stark <ccsu036@ibm.net>
Subject: Yep, it's another top ten.

Now is as good a time as any to make my first post, seeing as everyone's
     having so much fun making top ten lists. Here I go.(No part. order)

	Queen- Queen II(Masterpiece)
	BFF- Whatever..
	Jellyfish- Spilt Milk(Another masterpiece)
	Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream
	Queen- The Game
	U2- Achtung Baby
	David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust
	Spacehog- Resident Alien
	Fleming & John- Delusions of Grandeur
	311- Music
	Is that ten?
Also, I have a suggestion for a BFF cover. Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" It
is a BFF song that Queen did by mistake. Anyone who's heard the song or
knows Queen will understand.
     							Ciao,
							Mike

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 23:24:29 EDT
From: john_oc@juno.com
Subject: Cincy show, top 10.

Hey!!!

Great show in Cincy and Doug, if your reading, can you email me or call
me at (614) 823 - 2969, that is the number for the radio station that I
work at.  I need to talk about stuff with you really quick.  Thanks.
Anyway on to the review...

Despite being a fan since the inception in 94, I regret to say that at
the show in Cincy I lost my Ben Folds Five virginity.  Although, I did
know every lyric, and got great photos, I wish I had seen them much more
times.  I do want to give Sandi, a huge shout out on the armchair,
because she rocks my world.  She gave me the ride and we had a bang up
time...I was supposed to go to Pittsburgh, but wrecked/totalled my car,
and missed the show.  I am not going to review the show but I am going to
tell you the cool stuff that happened.

When we arrived at the show, we noticed Robert outside the show, and I
got my first of 6 autographs.  We talked to Robert for a couple of
minutes then went to buy our tickets.  After that we wandered to the back
of the venue to see if we could get back into Sandi's car, and as we go
back, we see Doug, the tour manager and he sees Sandi.  We talk and he
says we can see the band later.  Doug is a cool guy, he even gave me some
bottled water after the show.  After that we walked around the venue
again to waste time and by the time we got to the back again, lo and
behold Ben was outside!!!!  He reckognized Sandi from Pittsburgh and
offered to put us on the list, but alas we had already bought tickets!!!!
Ahhh!!!! Ben offered ME TICKETS!!!!  Well from there is was onto the
show.  As we are going inside they search my bag and say my Nikon is too
professional, extra lenses, flash and all, which is correct.  So Sandi
goes into save a spot on stage left, and I went around to but my camera
away.  Then I get this idea.  I just walk in the back door, and find a
roadie, and ask for a press pass.  And he gave it to me!!!!  So I go back
in flash my pass and start the show!!!!  I must say, it was fun spiting
the bouncer.  September 67 was quite good, and I would compare them to
Belly.  Although they had one aspect that was really annoying and that
was the song and verses would build until that perfect place to pogo, but
then they would key it down again, never reaching the "pogo" stage.
After the show, I got a setlist, and went around back to wait for the
band.  I got my picture with Ben and Robert and got my Japanese liner
notes signed by all three and got the set lists signed by all three.
Sorry for the lengthy post, and here is my top 10 list.

Top 10 CD's(in no order)

BFF - s/t
BFF - Whatever and Ever Amen
Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
Wallflowers - s/t
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Grant Lee Buffalo - Copperopolis
Wilco - Being There
Radiohead - The Bends
For Squirrels - Example
Manic Street Preachers - Holy Bible

HM - Red House Painters(Songs for a Blue Guitar)
         REM(Life's Rich Pageant)
         Ash(1977)
        Ben Lee(Something to Remember Me By)
         Barenaked Ladies(Maybe You Should Drive)

Sorry for the long post.

John Boyer
WOBN-FM 101.5 the ROCK
Asst. Music Director, Triple A Dir. and Research Dir.
Email: John_OC@juno.com   Phone: (614) 823-2969
Westerville, Ohio(Just north of Columbus)

"It's not that you can't tell the forest from the trees it's just that
you've never been out in 	the woods alone" --Ben Folds

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 22:52:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Megrooonie@aol.com
Subject: Boxing

Fivers, Dwarves, Solemn Faces, Armchairians, etc..

      As I sit here listening to my beloved 'Boxing' I can't help but wonder.
What is the meaning of this song? The lyrics do not seem to make much
sense..i.e. "boxing's been good to me..." ? I am rather confused, and would
like to know more about this wonderful song. I also think that the best part
both lyrically and instrumentally is the part where Ben sings "Well sometimes
I punch myself..hard as I can..etc.." Those beautiful chords in the
background (violin/cello?) are such a pleasure to listen to, and I could all
day.  Another neat part is the very beginning when the piano just plays a few
soft notes, that I could listen to forever also. Well, enough of my rambling.
Any ideas about the meaning though?

Megs  :~)

http://members.aol.com/megrooonie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 22:51:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Megrooonie@aol.com
Subject: Any traders out there?

If there are ANY BFF traders out there, could you please email me asap? I
have 5 BFF tapes and one of the Japan shows on the way (thanks Chiori!) . I
have TONS of DMB to trade also. And if anyone is taping the shows or knows
where I can get BFF tapes,  could you email me as well?

Thanx mucho,
Megs  :~)

http://members.aol.com/megrooonie/bfflist

My BFF List

http://members.aol.com/megrooonie/dmblist

My DMB List

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 97 23:25:43 -0500
From: "Bergquist" <Kristin.M.Bergquist-1@tc.umn.edu>
Subject: MPLS show

happyhappyhappyhappy :)

just got home from the show, and kids....
ive seen many shows from many performers and ive listened to plenty of BF5
boots>>>>>
this was THE best show ive ever had the pleasure to sweat to!

(and any poopy-pants who complains about the long wait between the opener
and the boys deserves a piano on the noggin because it was worth every
moment of crappy techno!! *smile*)

CHEERS!!!

kristin
***just give me an easy life and a peaceful death*** sundays

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 23:36:41 -0500 (CDT)
From: Clio <carv0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Minneapolis show

Hey all--- i just got home from the show.  Wow was it incredible, i mean
i knew it would be but WOW is all i can say.  I got a set list (signed by
all three of the members) so here goes :
Missing the war,Kate, Battle of who ....,last polka,
selfless cold and composed, brick,steven,smoke,pretty people,philosophy
the theme from Dr Pyser, Emaline, Fair, Uncle Walter, Dwarf, underground
and for the encore it was a version of the flaming lips song---uhhh the
vasaline song--can't remember the real name of it --says Jelly on the set
list, and song for the dumped.  After the show my brother and i hung
around and got to talk to both Ben and Robert which was very cool.  I'd
be interested to know what other people thought of the show.  i hope this
suffices cause hell this is the only list I'm on.  Sorry if im out of it
but hey just got home 20 minutes ago..
amie

- --Amie Carvel
"I just can't get rid of you like you got rid of me, ohhh but I send you my
     best cause God knows you've seen my worst"
		Ben Folds Five
http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m429/carv0022
carv0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 02:10:36 -0500
From: bartok@adan.kingston.net (steady eddy)
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #334

can anybody tell me what all this favourite album stuff is? i just recently
re-joined this list and am a bit confused.

for those of you who have never heard the rheostatics, you should check
them out. nothing like bff but i think you'll be surprised at the wonderful
music there.

ed

Sunward  I've  climbed   and   joined   the
tumbling  mirth  of  sun-split clouds...and
done  a  hundred  things  you   have   not
dreamed   of...wheeled   and  soared  and
swung    high    in    the     sunlit     silence.

Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 02:31:55 -0400
From: chaplin3@webtv.net (Charles Corby)
Subject: Ben article/soundclip

Hello!
I don't know if this has been posted yet, sorry if it has....
There's a great interview with Ben at Jam Music today.  It's really
funny, and it has a brief soundclip of Ben talking about Kiss and
singing a line of "Beth."  (it will probably turn up as a b-side)
Here is the URL:
http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusic/jun05_benfold.html

Chuck