Issue #345 - June 10, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Tuesday, June 10 1997     Volume 01 : Number 345

To remove yourself from this mailing list, send an e-mail message to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

In the body of the message put the word:

       unsubscribe

Please do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself!

                NEW DOMAIN NAME FOR THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
Just when we are all getting used to the address, the domain name is
changing. From now on, please direct all posts to:

       armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Administrative messages (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc.) go to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Please change your address books accordingly!

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    What are BFF??
    London gig - 1st July
    re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #341
    Taping @ Toronto

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 14:12:17 +0100
From: "Simon Burrows INF-KB" <sburrows@madge.com>
Subject: What are BFF??

"But when I try to tell my friends about
BF5, they always ask, "What are they like?  Compare them to
someone".  The best response I can come up with is:
they are a cross between Queen, Phish, and Supertramp.

Can anyone else think of a better description?"

I heard someone describe them as Billy Joel meets Nirvana, which I
thought was quite accurate.

Ceddy
sburrows@madge.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 97 15:05:59 UT
From: "Richard Keen" <Richard_VP@msn.com>
Subject: London gig - 1st July

Hi everyone,

Firstly, and most importantly, if anyone is going to the Sheperds Bush Empire
gig on 1st July and would like to meet up, then e-mail me at
Richard_VP@msn.com and I'll try and sort something out.  I'm only going in a
two, so it would be fun to make up a bigger group!

UK people might be interested (or annoyed) to find out that SB Empire have
sold out of standing (downstairs) tickets.  I don't know whether Ticketmaster
or someone like that would have more though.

Anyway, being a dedicated follower of fashion (hmmm), here's my top ten album
list:  (please note than all except 1 to 4 change weekly <s>)

1. Ben Folds Five	BFF
2. Ben Folds Five	Whatever....
3. Beatles		Abbey Road
4. Beatles		Rubber Soul
5. Patti Rothberg	Between the 1 and the 9
6. The Divine Comedy	Casanova
7. Oasis		Definately Maybe     (ignoring their attitude problem)
8. Sheryl Crow		Sheryl Crow
9. Jamiroquai		Travelling without Moving
10. Ocean Colour Scene      Moseley Shoals

On a related note, the 0 went up to the 8 and said 'Nice belt'

Richard
RichardVP@centralperk.com	Richard_VP@msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 97 11:30:54 EDT
From: "Jason Kilts" <Jason.Kilts@css.unc.edu>
Subject: re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #341

| Subject: zerocool is really cool.
| but thanks for
| the tape it rocks the world.

I second that emotion.  As soon as I got that tape back from Gina it went into
my normal listening cycle.  I LOVE live stuff.  Nothing quite like the image
of all the fans and the band playing and everybody dancing...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 12:07:21 -0400
From: Jon Lax <jon_lax@grey.net>
Subject: Taping @ Toronto

Just thought I'd let everyone know about what happaned when I tried to
tape the Toronto show.

I got into the bar no problem with my gear. I set up my mics and my DAT
and then someone came over and asked. "Who told you you could tape."
I said "I understand that BFF allows taping for non-commercial use". He
ran off to ask. He returned with another guy who said that I was not
allowed to have mics. I took down my gear and packed it up.

The first guy who asked me what I was doing was the sound guy for
BFF and we ended up talking gear and he even got me a beer. The show
was great and the band taped it.

With everyone wondering about tapes I would have to say that unless a
taper is taping stealth (a pain in the ass to do) there will not be good
quality BFF tapes available to fans. I tried and the band asked me to take
down my equipment.

Jon