Issue #346 - June 10, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Tuesday, June 10 1997     Volume 01 : Number 346

To remove yourself from this mailing list, send an e-mail message to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

In the body of the message put the word:

       unsubscribe

Please do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself!

                NEW DOMAIN NAME FOR THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
Just when we are all getting used to the address, the domain name is
changing. From now on, please direct all posts to:

       armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Administrative messages (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc.) go to:

       armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl

Please change your address books accordingly!

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    sessions at 54
    Who sounds like BFF?
    This Abum Thing
    Call this number (non-BFF)
    Toronto show bootlegs

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 00:53:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: SteveJG22@aol.com
Subject: sessions at 54

i am in a great mood just saw the guys live and for free at a taping of a
concert made for tv it was awesome, i was like inches from the guys, they
played mainly new stuff a trendy version of dr peyser and thankfully
philosophy.
any way after the show ben hung out with fans i got to talk to him and i got
his auograph, what a stand up guy, for some reason darren and robert left
quickly.
anyway the show is airing on july 5 11 pm on a pbs chan 13 in ny
take care
steve  ( iwas wearing a rudy hat)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 18:47:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Silver <silver1@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Subject: Who sounds like BFF?

Are there any underground bands that sound just like Ben Folds Five.  I
love their 2 albums and also love some of the bands who I believe
influenced BFF like Queen, The Beatles, Billy Joel, Jellyfish.  Please
leave your list of bands on this mailing list.

Thanx!

Michael

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 16:30:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: DMedsker@aol.com
Subject: This Abum Thing

Okay, I know we did something similar to this with favorite bands, but I
suppose this is a little different. Here are my Desert Island Discs, though
keep in mind, I'm putting all of my discs in those swinging two CD jewel
boxes, so I can sneak some extras...

And for the record, taking compilations of bands is cheating. That's too
easy. The point is to find the best ALBUM, not commpilation album. Are we all
playing by the rules?

1) Avalon-Roxy Music
2) Parklife-Blur. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.
3) A Happy Pocket-The Trash Can Sinatras. I'd slip their 1993 album I've seen
Everything in the sleeve, too.
4) Revolver-The Beatles, where everything starts and ends in pop music.
5) Ben Folds Five-first album
6) The Seeds of Love-Tears For Fears
7) Welcome Home-Til Tuesday
8) Nevermind-Nirvana, because I'll need to rock now and then.
9) Jordan: The Comeback-Prefab Sprout.
10) Hatful of Hollow-The Smiths. 'Nuff said.

Honorable Mentions:
- -Tomorrow The Green Grass-The Jayhawks
- -The Lexicon of Love-ABC
- -Temple of Low Men or the first Crowded House album
- -Bang!-World Party
- -Dizzy Heights-The Lightning Seeds. Just came out in the States, this album
is a masterpiece.
- -Whatever or I'm With Stupid-Aimee Mann
- -Spilt Milk-Jellyfish
- -Gordon-Barenaked Ladies
- -Never Loved Elvis-The Wonder Stuff
- -Play-Squeeze, their most underrated album
- -Abort-Tribe, the late, great Boston band.

As you can see, I'd never be able to narrow it down to ten without making
some major sacrifices...

On to the next person,

DM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 01:20:44 -0500
From: Clotho@webtv.net (David Shapiro)
Subject: Call this number (non-BFF)

I got this number from someone on the radiohead list.  It's hilarious.

Call 1-800-672-2754.  Then, when given the option, press 1.  After you
listen to what they have to say, press 2 to go back to the main menu.
Then press to at the main menu.

I promise this isn't some scam.  I was skeptical at first, but then I
called and laughed my ass off.

Enjoy!

Dave

Proud to be the treasurer of the David Shapiro Fan Club! (still looking for a President)

"Here's the church, here's the steeple, open the doors and go to SLEEPLE!"  -Mystery Science Theater 3000

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 20:38:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Detsky <hdetsky@inforamp.net>
Subject: Toronto show bootlegs

If anyone has or knows someone who has a copy of the recent Toronto show
(6/6/97)
please contact me because I'd like to trade for it.
        Jay  <hdetsky@inforamp.net>