Issue #355 - June 14, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Saturday, June 14 1997    Volume 01 : Number 355

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself!

TOP TEN LISTS:
   The Top Ten lists of other favorite bands have been fun but are
beginning to annoy a lot of subscribers. Let's try to curtail the thread.
If anyone wants to volunteer to accept top-ten lists and make them
available some other way (such as on the web somewhere), please step
forward. Or we could all post them to alt.music.ben-folds-five! Also,
please don't post comments to the list saying how annoyed you are with
the top-ten lists, as that would be off-topic. Thanks.

NEW DOMAIN NAME FOR THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
   Posts to the Magical Armchair now go to
        armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
   and subscribe/unsubscribe messages to to
        armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
   Please change your address book entries as the old address will no
longer work in the very near future.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    small rant
    Armchairites Prepair Yourselves!!!
    Jenny McCarthy
    more toronto addenda (sic)
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #348
    Brick - the really *important* stuff
    Toad praises Ben & the boys...
    jackson cannery
    big time radio blows (usually)
    Mr. Wrong soundtrack
    an anecdote from Minneapolis
    BFF and 5 4 Fighting
    Ben Folds Five MP3's
    IRC and us
    bff on jenny mccarthy
    Negative BFF review
    BFF songbook

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:51:26 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bill Tatalovich <wt3@cec.wustl.edu>
Subject: small rant

Hey all--

This is my first post on the new and "improved" armchair.  Hello to all of
you old-school armchairites....especially those of you I actually know
(Allan, Megan, Evan....).

Anyway, I have a small rant here.  Back when Frank managed the armchair,
the traffic was moderate, everything was on topic, and otherwise
everything was hunky-dory.  Now with the automation, we have tons of "top
ten lists", people complaining about the top ten lists, etc., etc., but
nothing pertinent.  I don't get it...

Anyway, enough of that.  I was wondering if any of y'all were going to the
HORDE shows in Cincinnati or Columbus.  If so, e-mail me sometime (I know
I'm thinking far in advance)...I'd like to meet some fellow ohioan
armchairites.

finally, anyone interested in trading (ESPECIALLY for BFF shows) check out
my list at :
	http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/boots.html
Thanks.  See y'all around...

Bill Tatalovich
wt3@cec.wustl.edu

"And he reached out for the remote / and spilled his beer"
	--Connells

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:28:07 -0500
From: Pluvius Dope <Policy@Mobsters.com>
Subject: Armchairites Prepair Yourselves!!!

	I just saw the Jenny McCarthy show with our friends BFF on it, and I was
seriously moved.
A)They DID NOT play BOWCCL(Even though it's one of my faves) They instead
went for the less tired 1 angry dwarf and 200 solemn faces.
B)They had a meet the band session where we got to see Ben, Darren, and
Jesse talk about drivel, which I enjoyed.
C)It was my first time seeing them move around.(I've only seen pics)

	Here is my second thought: I picked up BFF self-titled today, and I was
kind of dissapointed, I feel that most of the songs on the album don't have
the feeling, or melody of Whatever, however I like the album because I feel
it is in the same ballpark as Whatever. Anyone else feel the same??
(P.S I love the song Alice Childress)

Pluvius Dope

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 21:28:39 -0400
From: Evan Chakroff <chakroff@ee.net>
Subject: Jenny McCarthy

It was a lot better than Conan.

Overall I think it was great. They seemed to be a little... off... at
times, though.  If anything this has convinced me that I have to go to
Horde, no matter what the price is. Well, that's all. I'm sure someone will
post a better review.

- -ec

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 21:44:01 -0400
From: Valerie Hochschild <unter@on-it.net>
Subject: more toronto addenda (sic)

Hi, Fivers.
  Thanks to those who sent good word on my maiden post - much appreciated.
   I remembered a couple things about talking to Ben (but no, I can't answer
any of Jay's questions about that night).
   1) While we spoke he stopped me for a moment and said, "You don't sound
like you're from Toronto."  He said I had some sort of ...accent?  I rolled
my eyes, let out a mighty "sheesh" and told him he was correct (I was born
in Ohio and immigrated a couple years ago after living in Canada on-and-off
for a few years) and that, maddeningly, he was the 2nd person that day to
tell me I had an American accent - which I'd extinguished years ago but
seems to be sneaking back in. (If any of you think Canadians and north
Americans don't sound different, ha!)  That led to some rant of mine about
how people can hang on to their accents after living here for ages.
  2)  (and one you''ll care more about) Ben said he that Snow (y'know, the
white Toronto dance hall guy and gun-toter) was in the house and he wanted
him to come up and do "Informer", but the guy evidently wussed out.  Drag -
that would've been swell.
  Well, back to volunteering at NXNE for me.  Everybody play nice, now.

Peace,
Valerie

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:09:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alanica@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #348

Ok, for the T-shirt idea. Why couldn't they say something pertaing to the
magical armchair instead of BFF? Since the Magical Armchair is kinda an
extension of die-hard fans of BFF. All those who are on the armchair could
easily reconize as well as the band. I just thought of this while I was
walking home from swim practise, and I thought they could have something like
a cartoon-like drawing of Uncle Walter in his magical armchair on the front.

Just an idea, what do you think?
Becca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 21:13:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: Edward A Weinstein <wein0047@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Brick - the really *important* stuff

Well, for all the discussing about what Brick is about, there is a more
important question to be answered.  We know it's the day after Xmas, and
we know they call her name at 7:30 am...  He goes down to buy her flowers
and sell some gifts back.  Who cares what the hell the song is about?
Where on God's green earth can you go and return gifts at 7:30 in the
morning, much less buy flowers, for crissakes!!

Well?

Ed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:39:18
From: zerocool@magg.net
Subject: Toad praises Ben & the boys...

I was so excited to see this I just had to share it with all of you! It
came from the Toad the Wet Sprocket home page ( http://www.houseoftoad.com/
) from Glen's Touring Diary:

              6/12/97

              Hi. I'm finally home. This is a good thing, to say the least.
The tour was
              short and sweet, and we can now return safely to the land of ear
              infections and infant cuddling. It's Laurel's birthday today,
and we're
              taking the brood to San Fransisco to play a one-off radio
festival. I
              plan on a good Japanese dinner; noodles and raw fish.

              Since we'll be home for a while, these notes will become even
more
              sporadic. I will, however reccomend some music to pass the time
              with.... New album: Ben Folds Five--"Whatever and Ever Amen".
              Bitingly funny and cynical lyrics with enough heart to still
be moving,
              and a sense of melody and songwriting leaps and bounds beyond
most
              of the over-hyped mediocrity foisted on the public. No
guitars (thank
              god), just a usually unadorned piano, bass and drum trio that
rocks
              harder than Metallica, IMHO

I only wish that both Ben Folds Five and Toad were playing the West Palm
HORDE date
<sigh> but I'll settle for just Toad. Hey Ben don't forget us  S. FL fans!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 00:07:20 -0500
From: excandescent@thenexus.com
Subject: jackson cannery

       someone (don't remember who) posted:

>them through (my friend John called me a dork when I yelled
>"NOTHING!!!" through cupped hands to Ben's query in Jackson
>Cannery.
>Someone defend me, PLEASE.) Even suffering from jet lag, their

       i'll come to your defense.  i did the exact same thing at the
saratoga winners show =)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 23:24:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: William Christopher Kane <kanew1@mies.wustl.edu>
Subject: big time radio blows (usually)

> stay left-of-the-dial and support your local college and public
> radio stations (financially, spiritually, or however you wish).

word is bond, man...

long live KWUR - 90.3 clayton, MO!  that station sure beats the hell
out of 105.7 THE POINT, i'll tell you that much...

back in the winter of '95, after their first conan appearance, those asses
at the point wouldn't even play BFF when i'd request it every day for a
week straight (no lie) at like 3:13 am- a prime listening time at which,
i'm sure, they're flooded with requests...  so i called up KWUR the next
day, requested it, and the dj stopped right in the middle of the song he
was playing to put on a little UNDERGROUND action...  hot damn.

chris

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 00:59:14 -0400
From: Steffen Donath <SDonath@compuserve.com>
Subject: Mr. Wrong soundtrack

Hello all you Armchairians!

First of all I would like to thank you for all the e-mails that I have got
for my new BFF webpage at

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/Homepages/SDonath

I am glad that you all seem to like it.

For something different: Can anybody of you get me the CD of the Mr. Wrong
soundtrack (with BFFs Song for the dumped on it)? I can't get it anywhere
in Europe and would like to trade for other BFF stuff. Or could at least
someone give me details on Record Label and catalogue number of this CD?

Any help appreciated.

STEFFEN

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 01:01:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Keriphilly@aol.com
Subject: an anecdote from Minneapolis

Hey, I just wanted to share my brief encounter with Ben and Darren at the
First Ave. show on June 4 in Minneapolis. I was waiting outside to get in
when I saw them standing outside chatting. I ran up to them and let out this
really bizarre scream that sounded kind of like "Wa-wa-wa-waaa!" And Darren
looked at me and screamed the same exact scream right back at me!  I
introduced myself and started babbling.  They were both so cool.  Ben
said,"Hi. I'm Ben," and he shook my hand.  I was quite psyched I must say.
After a few seconds he said,"I'm going to go in here now," and he pointed to
the door and went in.  And, needless to say, it was a stellar show. Anyways,
I just wanted to once again confirm the fact that apart from being amazing
performers, musicians, etc., the boys of BFF are real nice guys.
         Keri

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 20:48:35 -0500 (CST)
From: Nate Mathews <nmathews@mork.uni.uiuc.edu>
Subject: BFF and 5 4 Fighting

I recently picked up a generic alternative sampler for free. The only
really good song on it is Jenny Says by Cowboy Mouth. They also have a 5
For Fighting song, Bellas Birthday Cake.
Its not a very good song, but has some piano in the background and I can
see the vague BF5 similarities.
	Bf5 actually reminds me a lot of an artist back in the late 70s
named Keith Green. You probably have not heard him since he was a
Christian artist and not mainstream. He too played the piano and did it
brilliantly, crafting highly energetic piano pop, with some guitar. If
anyone else has heard of him kudos to you.
	As far as fave BF5 song, I would hafta say Evaporated. It is so
beautiful and the lyrics are ones that I can identify with. Bf5 should
take a stab at covering Cruel to Be Kind by Spacehog or Take the Money
and Run by Steve Miller Band.
				Nate

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Cross Country: Finally a practical use for golf courses

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 01:39:25 -0400
From: Chad Sarles <wsarles@indiana.edu>
Subject: Ben Folds Five MP3's

Everyone,

    I have posted this before, but I want to make sure that everyone
knows about my page of Ben Folds Five MP3's.  There's a few live songs
and a few B-sides posted.  The URL is:
http://php.indiana.edu/~wsarles/bffmp3.html
I hope that everyone enjoys them.

Chad

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 01:58:42 -0400
From: "Michael Beam" <hardhead@underworld.net>
Subject: IRC and us

Hey guys...

just an idea (brought up before)...I don't know how many of you activly IRC but I think it'd be kinda cool...and mebbe we could get the band in from time to time. that could all be a dream though.  Anyway...I know a few guys from the list that IRC and we have a little server setup (irc.underworld.net ... irc.wserv.com) and we could start #bff or if you wanted to go on efnet (eww).  I'm away till sunday but you guys interested in having a metting or something?  like monday nite @ 6:30?
later
- ---
Michael J. Beam
hardhead@underworld.net
http://www.underworld.net/mbeam/
administrator for the underworld networking systems
http://www.underworld.net/bff/
Ben Folds Five

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 03:23:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: MissDa@aol.com
Subject: bff on jenny mccarthy

well, i saw (and taped) the jenny mccarthy appearance tonight, and it was
disappointing.  i mean, the energy was there (more than on conan the other
night) but that was the WORST sound quality i've ever heard come out of a
piano, especially considering how good the bands usually sound on jenny's
show. (the rest of the show kinda bugs me but i love the way they present the
musical guests!)  it seemed like maybe darren was rushing a bit, but good as
always, and ben was amazing.... man can he work a piano!

i'm REALLY REALLY tempted to put a top ten here but i'm not gonna... if
anybody's really that curious email me or something and i'll send ya one.
 not that anybody cares, but anyway....

amanda

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 02:37:16 -0500
From: Clotho@webtv.net (David Shapiro)
Subject: Negative BFF review

The following is a VERY NEGATIVE review of WAEA from NUVO Newsweekly
magazine here in Indianapolis:

There may be a buzz about this band (re: potential to make lots of
cash), they may have played along side Girls Against Boys on last year's
Lollapa-loser side stage, and they can even sometimes sound somewhat
charming, but for the most part, when I listen to Ben Folds Five, all
that really comes to mind is Air Supply, or even worse, Billy Joel.
Counting Crows vocalist Adam Duritz liked them enough to mention them in
song, but even a friend of mine at Caroline knows that this is music for
suits at record labels that actually thought Billy Joel was cool.  C'mon
kids, put out those trendy cigarettes, come out of the coffee shop and
wake up--Ben Folds Five sucks.  I mean, they can't even get their
moniker right (uh, there's three of them?).  Folds singing "Kiss my ass"
in the album's opener and the "clever" album art and lettering may seem
pseudo-alternative or something, but for crying out loud, some of this
shit is tinged with disco!  "Whatever and Ever Amen" should be stickered
with a medical warning, as having to endure the chorus to "Fair," a mere
two songs into the disc, could be vomit-inducing.  If this band makes
it, I may move to the Middle East.  Someone, please save white America
from itself.  If any more evidence is needed that popular music in this
country is in trouble, Ben Folds Five should more than suffice.

- -Ryan Downey

End of article

What is up with that?  How can someone review a CD and not even give any
good examples of what is so "wrong" with it?  This is the most ignorant
piece of writing I've seen in a long time.  I was so mad when I read
this!  In trying (and I emphasize TRYING) to be "clever", the reviewer
fails to give any evidence of why the CD fails.  It reads more like a
social commentary.

I'm sending a e-mail to NUVO complaining not just about badmouthing BFF,
but to say that they need to find reviewers who actually say more than a
sentence or two about the CD.  If anyone cares to join me in this,
here's their e-mail address:

nuvo@nuvo.net

Sorry for the extra-long post, but I thought you guys would want to know
about this.

Dave

Proud to be the treasurer of the David Shapiro Fan Club! (still looking for a President)

"Here's the church, here's the steeple, open the doors and go to SLEEPLE!"  -Mystery Science Theater 3000

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 18:55:40 +0900
From: "Tim Thorn" <timbo@ois.net.au>
Subject: BFF songbook

G'day!

Im sure most of you like BFF as much as I do :> I recently got both albums
(self titled one and TBOWCCL... and what can I say.. they are amazing. What
I really wanted to know is... Does anyone know where I can get the BFF
songbook? the one with piano scores in it. I saw it on the official page,
but they said it was out of production. If anyone can sell me a copy, or
knows where to find the scores online, that would be great. So far I have
taught myself the intro to "Brick", but its's damn hard to get any further
without help :<

Please Email replies to timbo@ois.net.au

My top ten list is....

nahh... just joking :> :> I dont want to piss anyone off :>

Tim Thorn
Perth, Western Australia