Issue #364 - June 19, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Thursday, June 19 1997    Volume 01 : Number 364

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

NEW DOMAIN NAME FOR THE MAGICAL ARMCHAIR
   Posts to the Magical Armchair now go to
        armchair@maillist.il.fontys.nl
   and subscribe/unsubscribe messages to to
        armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl
   Please change your address book entries as the old address will no
longer work in the very near future.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum
    howdy doody
    Minneapolis Bootleg?
    wow! another dream!
    Re: BFF tapes
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #362
    religion
    Bhagavad Fawcett
    Bahgvad Gita
    Ben Folds Five on Reverb/PBS
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #362
    bff bass tabs

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 20:20:48 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Adam 'DeLicious' DeLisse" <adeliss@comp.uark.edu>
Subject: Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum

really??  way to go, Pluvius Dope!!  boy, if it weren't for you, i bet
NONE of us would have noticed that the name of this mailing list, the
Magical Armchair, actually shows up in one of Ben's songs!!  now how do
you think that came to pass??

and tweedle dum asking about the bhagavad-gita.  let's see, abouth a
BILLION (probably only about 5 or 6 though) people asked that question
about a BILLION (30 maybe?) digests ago!!  everyone stop right now, and
look at the top of the page where it says that if you have any questions
(especially dumb ones) go look for them in the armchair archives.

thank you

Adam DeLisse
					.
				       / \
				      / V \
				     /     \
				    / V V V \
				   /   V V   \
				  / V   V   V \
				 /             \
				/ V V V V V V V \
			       /   V V V V V V   \
			      / V   V V V V V   V \
			     /       V V V V       \
			    / V V V   V V V   V V V \
			   /   V V     V V     V V   \
			  / V   V   V   V   V   V   V \
			 /____________________________ \

   ...............and people say there is no beauty in math..............

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:19:56 +0800 (WST)
From: Jodie Poole <jpoole@tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
Subject: howdy doody

Hi there everyone!

Well, a couple of things.  First, I live in THE most isolated city in the
world - Perth, Western Australia (seriously! - its true!).  BFF have never
come to Australia and noone I know has any live tapes or anything of the
guys.  I would really appreciate ANYTHING to do with the guys live.  Can
anyone who can help with bootlegs etc please e-mail me privately.
I keep reading everyone writing things about the Conan O'Brien and
other shows that BFF have played on recently and I would LOVE to
see a copy of them.  Thanks!

Also, does anyone in Australia know if the Conan O'Brien shows  that are
on FOXTEL are run at the same time as the American shows (ie: if BFF play
Conan on June 11th in America, will it be on in Australia on that date?)

I also wanted to find out exactly what singles BFF has ever released.
People keep writing about Kate singles (are there two different ones?) but
I didn't even know these existed!  What singles were released from the
first album. (is this where the song Emaline comes in - I've never heard
it before and I really NEED to!)

Also, are there any other Western Australian BFF fans out there????
(Hi Adam!).  If there are can you please e-mail me privately - wouldn't it
be cool to start up like a network between us all?

Sorry about the length of this post , but if anyone can help me out with
any of these questions it'd be great (esp. the bootlegs -PLLEASE!!)

Catcha,
Jodie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:46:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: TheDanOne@aol.com
Subject: Minneapolis Bootleg?

Hello friends!

   Has anybody had any luck finding a tape of Ben Folds Five's July 4th show
at First Avenue? I would really really appreciate it if someone could get me
a copy. Email me if you have any info.

Dan Haugen (Visit my webpage at <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/TheDanOne/danw
orld.htm">http://members.aol.com/TheDanOne/danworld.htm</A>)

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:52:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: SweetyX1@aol.com
Subject: wow! another dream!

Hey Fivers,

	This makes two dreams this week. I'm sure you all are counting. Anyhow, I
was hanging out with BFF. I think it was one of the guys homes. We were all
there playing around with some song lyrics and whatnot. Everyone in the dream
was 12-14 years old. It was so strange, like a miniature BFF. We played for
hours and then decided to call it quits.
	I know this has really no point so don't get pissed at me for sending it.
Does anyone know when the guys will be in Dallas? I really want to see them
live instead of on some damn television show. Thanks for listening.

Hasta la bye-bye,
Deidre

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:09:54 -0500
From: dandelion1@juno.com (allison cuyjet)
Subject: Re: BFF tapes

>1/26/96  7th House; Pontiac, MI :
>Length: about 70 min.
>Setlist: Best Imitation of Myself / Jackson Cannery / The Last Polka /
Alice Childress / Where's >Summer B? / One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn
Faces / Uncle Walter / Steven's Last Night in
>Town / Julianne / Freebird Jam / Retarded (Bad Idea) / Video /
Underground / Sports and Wine / >Elvin Bishop / Song for the Dumped /
Philosophy

okay, i've seen this show listed as 1/20/96, 1/30/96, and now 1/26/96.
is there anyone (perhaps you were there?) that can tell me, once and for
all, the correct date?

thanks,
allison

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 23:34:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: SETH1234@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #362

<< I have the Conan Show on video - would like to trade for a copy of Jenny
 McCarthy.

 Yates Dew
 ydew@legnetwork.com

i have em both anyone needs em, email me personally at either here or
mjrboredom@aol.com, and ill get it to you if ya mail me a tape
lata
Seth

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 97 11:41:00 PDT
From: "Riley, Adrian D [DBE]" <A.D.Riley@lmu.ac.uk>
Subject: religion

>>Hey All,
>>
>>This may be a stupid question, but what the hell is Bhagauad Gita (from
>>Kate)?

>The Bagavhad Gita is a religious text or something like that for Hare
>Krishna. I hope no one takes this the wrong way but dressing up in a sheet
>and shaving your head sounds like a lot to do for a religion.

Surely nothing is 'a lot to do' for a religion.
A true religious belief is way of life, not just a hobby. If you give it up
at the first sign of inconvenience it can't have meant that much to you.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what religious ideas
were in Bens lyrics (if any). There seem to be a few Jewish references on
the new album both lyrically and musically. Any takers?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:19:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Bhagavad Fawcett

Couple notes:

The article on the Farrah Fawcett incident originated in the New York
Daily News showbiz gossip column written by George Rush and Joanna
Molloy. The article quoted is on-line at
   http://www2.mostnewyork.com/most/archive/97_06/061697/rushmo.hta
One person I know who was at the taping described it as being quite a
scene.

If you're interested in more on the Bhagavad Gita, which is the ancient
text describing the Hindu history of India, there is a link on the lyrics
page for Kate, at http://oeonline.com/bff/ and follow Discography ->
Whatever and Ever Amen -> Kate

 -fjm

                         Her mix tape's a masterpiece

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:16:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Geoffrey Kaiser <glkaiser@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
Subject: Bahgvad Gita

The Bahgvad Gita is the holy book of either the Hindus or the Muslims.
It's like the Bible. It was written by Mohammed as it was dictated to him
by God.
Geoff
------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 12:53:28
From: zerocool@magg.net
Subject: Ben Folds Five on Reverb/PBS

as johnny the idot king mentioned:

>Also, I read that BFF is going to be on HBO's Reverb and on
>some sort of PBS thing. Does anyone know the air dates?? Sorry if this
>has already been discussed.

The Reverb segment that featured Ben Folds Five has already aired. It was
on Sunday June 1st. As for the PBS taping I believe it is on Saturday July
5th @ 11:00pm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:09:24 +0000
From: lindsey <scotts@traverse.com>

> Okay, i was reading my local paper today, and they always have a little thing
> called "stargazing" where they dish about the stars. Lo and behold, i found a
> little quip about Ben and the guys. Mind you, this is a NATIONALLY SYNDICATED
> collumn.
>
> The title is "stalled"
>
> "Farrah Fawcett was in the ladies' room after last week's apperance on Conan
> O'Brien's late night chatfest whn suddenly.....
>  She overheard two members of the band BEN FOLDS FIVE trashing her. And they
> went on. And on.
>   So Fawcett waited until they emerged from their stalls, and she confronted
> them.
>   'They were shaking in their boots', an inside source says. 'They said they
> were really sorry'. Later, O'brien consoled her as Fawcett was heard to
> moan,"What do they want from me????"
>
> I laughed so hard when i read this that i spit out my corn flakes. Leave it
> to ben to tell the truth. I seriously doubt that the apology was heartfelt,
> tho.
>
> dave

Why were two members of BF5 in the ladies room? am i mistaken but i
thought that ben, darren, and robert were all male.

- -lindsey

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:42:44 -0500
From: excandescent@thenexus.com
Subject: bff bass tabs

       i've looked high and low and i've searched everywhre for ben
folds five bass tabs, and haven't found any.  i dunno if people don't
recognize robert's AMAZING talent or what, :) i mean i have tried many
many times to figure out what he's playing but it is very very
difficult (for me anyway) but i did manage to figure out the notes for
"where's summer b.?"  and i know how rare bff bass tabs are so if anyone
wants me to transcribe it, just let me know..its pretty easy.