Issue #370 - June 22, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Sunday, June 22 1997     Volume 01 : Number 370

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

OFF-TOPIC POSTS AND PERSONAL ATTACKS
   Do not post off-topic messages. This includes insulting other
listmembers or anyone else, posting chain letters, and any followup to
any of these. As much as you want to reply, please don't. The moderator
will deal with these matters privately. Re-read the rules that you were
sent when you subscribed. To retrieve a copy of the rules, send a message
to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with 'intro' (no quotes) in the
body.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    THREE VOTES AWAY!
    BFF on VH-1
    anyone wanna bff central park show ticket?
    Sessions at West 54th Street.
    going now
    strings and BFF
    Topic?
    Repeated info and being nasty
    Diminished chords

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 97 19:34:50 -0500
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@pobox.com>
Subject: THREE VOTES AWAY!

Can you believe that we're only three measley stinkin' votes away from
closing the damn cover song election and having it over and done with?
Brother, if I'd known how tough it was gonna be to get 100 votes I never
would have started this whole thing.  Anyway, if you haven't voted yet,
please get your ass over to http://members.aol.com/nakedvegan and let
your voice be heard.

Also, I'm afraid AOL's mail server ate one of your votes on Tuesday or
Wednesday.  If you voted on Tuesday or Wednesday and your address is not
in this list, then please vote again: rmdrew@primenet.com,
aledonne@iquest.net, adamb@netroplex.com, danbrow@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au,
ogormanal@lauriston.vic.edu.au.

In other news, SweetyX1@aol.com wrote:

>Here is yet another dream to add to your collection Michael.

I don't know why everyone has the idea that I'm "collecting" people's BF5
dreams.  Sure, I was the first one here to post a BF5-related dream, and
I've posted a few wacky ones since then, and I enjoy seeing other
people's dreams, but there's no "collection" involved.  But I'm still
pleased that others are posting THEIR dreams, because that makes me look
like less of a crackpot. :-)

- -- Michael Bluejay (Austin, TX)

  http://pobox.com/bluejay  | Home of AUSTIN MUSIC, KING CHEESE,

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:00:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: mayns@netcom.ca
Subject: BFF on VH-1

	Just a little quicky comment.  I heard BFF on Fashion Television on numerous occasions, "underground" and "one angry dwarf.." being just two examples.  This is cool, and whoever does their music obviously has some taste, but Fashion Television is not a VH-1 production.  They import it from up here in Canada!  FT is straight out of Toronto.  If you ever visit town, stop by CITY-TV and, if you ask nively, they might give you a tour!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:53:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: DownBaby@aol.com
Subject: anyone wanna bff central park show ticket?

im selling one, face value, maybe less... i just need to know whos
interested.  email me please thank you.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 23:51:57 -0400
From: solinari76@juno.com
Subject: Sessions at West 54th Street.

Hello everyone,
    Im totally new to the armchair and thought i would make myself known.
Also, I was wondering if any of you had the pleasure of seeing the live
taping of BFF at Sony Music Studios in NYC earlier this month?  If you
were lucky enough, wasnt it fantastic? Best show i have seen in a long
time.  Tell me what you thought!
Elisa  : )

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 14:48:20 +1000
From: Very Fruity Indeed <ad@healey.com.au>
Subject: going now

To all you funky BFF fans,

   I've met some great people on this list...  And I'm in the tape chain
aswell...  (still haven;t received a tape in 3 months :))  I love Ben Folds
Five lots.  But, now is the time for me to go...  I'm just not able to cope
with the mailing list.  I lose interest too easily.  IT'S BEEN A GREAT YEAR
ON HERE!!!  All you old people that were on the original list, you're tops.
 The newer people are cool too, but I never got to know you...  I'll catch
up the people I know on here at a gig sometime.

BYE!!!!

Ad.

PS  For some BFF related music...  Well, music that most BFF fans will
like, go to ftp.alphalink.com.au   then navigate through the directories to
/pub/Sounds/mpeg/songs/    The Whitlams truely are a great band.  Try some
of their mp3s today.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
&                    Ironside                     &
&      "...the 17th best band in the world"       &
& http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ &
&        Saturday June 21 - Cat and Fiddle        &
&           456 Darling Street, Balmain           &
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 00:57:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: POP QUEEN <edurand@emerald.tufts.edu>
Subject: strings and BFF

You lucky folk who will attend the NYC show this week will most likely see
Rob break out the bull fiddle for "Brick." THe string effect is wonderful,
though they only used it for that one song [this is at Lupo's in
Providence, 5/28].  At that same show, they opened with "Steven's" and
instead of the Klezmatics (duh) Ben played this weird wind/keyboard
instrument, handheld, with a flexible tube thing that one blows into and a
little keyboard to produced chords, etc.  HILARIOUS.  ANyone know what
this thing is?  Ben also did a mean Ozzy Osbourne imitation ["It's time...
for the ultimate...SACRIFIIIIIIICE!"] and took off his pants.  Be warned.

:)

    emily k. durand

	"everything comes around..."
    					--- katell keinig

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 03:00:53 -0600
From: Pluvius Dope <Policy@Mobsters.com>
Subject: Topic?

	Well I'm not sure if this is on topic or not, but I gather it is not.
While I found Adam Delisses rant about idiotic questions to be unnecessary,
I found my retort to it, to be even MORE unnecessary. A)Because it was
littered with potty mouth talk, and B)There is no reason that either of us
should have forced you lovely Armchairites to read our vile spew. I am
sorry for what I posted, but not for what I said. In the future, I will
make sure to A)Think before writing, and B)Keep my personal belongings off
of the Armchair.

My Sincere Apologies,

Pluvius Dope

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 09:52:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: LindaNikon@aol.com
Subject: Repeated info and being nasty

I understand it must be really annoying to you longtime Magical Armchair
Subscribers to see the same questions asked over and over again. It seems to
me, however, that it would be much easier to answer the question than to yell
at everyone to go to the archive. 1 answer seems preferable to 15 posts
wondering about it.

Because, when you're new to something, you just want to talk to other people
who understand your enthusiasm. When I first heard "Brick", all I wanted to
do was ask everyone they thought the topic was. It didn't even occur to me
that it may have been discussed before. All I wanted was to know what other
people thought of the lyric.

And remember, although you may look "down" on newbies, there is someone out
there in Chapel Hill who thinks you are a rank amature.

L.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 97 18:30:06 -0500
From: Michael Bluejay <bluejay@pobox.com>
Subject: Diminished chords

About a month ago I made this stupid post:

>In the second dream, I was writing a song, and it used a diminished chord,
>but then I decided that the song sounded too much like the bridge to
>"Fair", which also uses a diminished chord.  If memory serves correct,
>that's the only diminished chord on Whatever & Ever.

I made this comment off the top of my head -- as though I could review
the whole album in my head in a few minutes.  Anyway, Steve Clay
(fender@grove.ufl.edu) set me straight by sending me this mail:

>	Other diminished chords on WAEA:
>Bbdim7 in "Cigarette" as Ben sings, "caring for his oft..."
>Fdim7 in "Steven's" in every verse where Ben sings, "round now..."
>	and in the "Oooh Ahhh" part before the "Kick that..." part.
>G#dim7 in "Evaporated" before "And I poured my..." at 2:31

While we're talking about the actual music, for those looking for tabs
(chord changes) I wrote out the tab to Battle of Who Could Care Less, and
it was published in issue #296, I think.  (The exact number escapes me.)
That's all I've had time to do, sorry.