Issue #374 - June 25, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Wednesday, June 25 1997    Volume 01 : Number 374

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

OFF-TOPIC POSTS AND PERSONAL ATTACKS
   Do not post off-topic messages. This includes insulting other
listmembers or anyone else, posting chain letters, and any followup to
any of these. As much as you want to reply, please don't. The moderator
will deal with these matters privately. Re-read the rules that you were
sent when you subscribed. To retrieve a copy of the rules, send a message
to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with 'intro' (no quotes) in the
body.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    videos?
    Good news for S. Floridians and not me.
    melodica, website, etc.
    Re: influences
    Pretty please with sugar on top?
    PBS BS
    Summer Stage
    Subscribe
    sorry for being off topic...
    Summerstage tix
    BFF on the New Music
    Who are those other two guys?!?!?

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 20:16:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: MasterAEPi@aol.com
Subject: videos?

does anyone have any ben folds videos to trade????

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 20:18:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: KNULPREK@aol.com
Subject: Good news for S. Floridians and not me.

Hey.. well, i've heard from semi-reliable sources that Ben Folds Five and
Soul Coughing will both be playing the West palm beach HORDE show now!!! I'm
not sure if this is definite, and if it is i won't be in town anyway (DOH!!!)
but everyone else, check up on that because it's a possibility!! See ya..

 -jason

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 22:34:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: POP QUEEN <edurand@emerald.tufts.edu>
Subject: melodica, website, etc.

THank you to Rahoolio for enlightening us re: strange wind instrument!
Now that you identify it as a Hooter [saints preserve us] I remember that
I HAD ONE ONCE!  I think it was a stockingstuffer @ Xmas, circa 1980. I
remember though that mine was just a little keyoard with a mouthpiece at
one end, whereas Ben's definitely had this weird gooseneck appendage,
with the actual mouthpiece at the end of that, but whatever, clearly the
same family.  You go!

ALso, whoever it was that complained about the website [bffweb.com] I
agree, it is totally fritzed out for some reason, and b/c it didn't load
right I neglected to include shipping and handling charges in my t-shirt
order and now I bet it'll never come!  >:( Gee, I guess I'll just have to
go to another live show...

In other news, maybe I missed this thread but did anyone catch the boys'
appearance on the ultrastupid Jenny McCarthy Show on MTV?  I have it on
tape, sadly: they chat w/ Jenny for like 2 minutes [about Japanese
computerised toilets] and then play "One Angry Dwarf," wearing incredibly
nice clothes, Potsie clothes, but nice clothes nonetheless.  Anyone?
Anyone?   Bueller?

    emily k. durand

	"Sir, you are really going to earn your money today."

					--- "Summer School"

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 22:58:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jfishhead@aol.com
Subject: Re: influences

In a message dated 6/23/97 2:05:41 AM, Hotdoglove@aol.com wrote:

>Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 23:11:51 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Hotdoglove@aol.com
>Subject: Influences
>
>I have recently picked up (and borrowed) Joe Jackson and Squeeze CD's simply
>because I have heard that they are BFF influences/sound-alikes.  I have to
>say, after a meager 2 listenings to each CD, I love Jackson and Squeeze
>already!  I can hear the strong Squeeze connection, but Joe Jackson, except
>for the poignant lyrics and occasional piano insertions in the music, I
>wouldn't really place with BFF.  However, all three bands are in that silly
>category that's somewhere in between jazz, pop, rock, and alternative and is
>impossible to describe to people who ask, "What kind of music do they play?"
>

>Sara

Please don't take this the wrong way, but PLEASE tell me you've heard of
Squeeze and Joe Jackson before reading about them on this list.

Dustin

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 23:13:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Punkin12O@aol.com
Subject: Pretty please with sugar on top?

I am desperate for tickets to the HORDE show in Michigan July 27th.  If
anyone could help me out, I would be forever in their debt.  If anyone has
any extras or knows someone who does....or if anyone has info on if there
will be another show added, please, please, pretty please with sugar on top,
e mail me.
Thanks,
Linnea
P.S. my screen name....O is a letter, not a number.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 01:47:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Adamweezer@aol.com
Subject: PBS BS

Hello,
What's with this PBS thing?
I heard it was July 5th, but anyone have any idea what time (ie is it on a
weekly show  or what? (I don't often watch PBS))
Thanks in advance for any info.
adam

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 23:02:34 +0000
From: "Arnold S. Rowe" <arowe@pe.net>
Subject: Summer Stage

Bonjour and Hola!

for all you New Yorkers (and the occasional traveling souls, such as
myself) who are going to the concert in Central Park Wednesday:

i'll be wearing a cheezified nametag (Aimee Armchair) so do come up
and say Howdy and to receive your own spify nametag. it would be
lovely to meet any of you armchairites and talk about BFF, etc. i
also put tape on my arm in the outline of BFF, then went sailing all
day, so i have BFF on my arm unburned, with everything around it a nice,
crisp red. i'm branded, so to speak.

be brave, and come visit!

~aimee

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 10:08:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: PREDAN@aol.com
Subject: Subscribe

auth 8bea204c subscribe armchair PREDAN@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 23:23:40 +0900
From: chiori-t@ppp.fastnet.or.jp
Subject: sorry for being off topic...

I'll keep it short.

To Michael Bluejay, I tried to mail you but it came back.
Your new(?) address doesn't seem to be able to receive mails.
Maybe that's why you don't hear from Azusa...
Please figure it out.  ...Hope you read this...
chiori =)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 11:51:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: CLOSERGIRL@aol.com
Subject: Summerstage tix

Hi all,

I am not sure if the tickets sold out for summerstage this Wed in NYC but I
have an extra ticket so if anyone wants to go just E me.  See you guys there.
 Closergirl@aol.com

Carrolyn

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 18:42:27 -0400
From: Valerie Hochschild <unter@on-it.net>
Subject: BFF on the New Music

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 18:52:12 -0400
From: Zach Walker <bagheera@pipeline.com>
Subject: Who are those other two guys?!?!?

Hey,
I just remembered something. An aquaintance of mine who I don't like very
much has in his possession a Billboard music sampler/compilation CD. I think
it was Billboard.  Anyway, the CD has Philosophy on it. Inside the cover was
a picture of the band. However, there were FIVE of them. I was confused but
didn't want to talk to the individual any longer and so I promptly walked
away pondering, "Who are those other two guys?!?!?"
Well....?
- --
"Oh but I send my best. Cause God knows you've seen my worst." -- Ben Folds
Keep It Real.
Zach.
 O   \ O /  _ O         __|    \ /     |__        O _  \ O /   O
/|\    |     /\   __\O    \O    |    O/    O/__   /\     |    /|\
/ \   / \   | \  /)  |    ( \  /O\  / )    |  (\  / |   / \   / \
Zach's Page: http://www.pipeline.com/~bagheera/home.htm

   ##  ####   ##b       ##@@@@#####   #@    ##
  ###  ###l  ####l ## #      #### ec     #  ##
  ##l ####   #* ## ## # ## ## ## #### ## ## l#
  ##l ####  ##  #l ## # ##  # ## #  # ## ###l#
  ### ####l ##  ## ## # ### # ##   ## ## # ###
  ##l###l##l ####   ##          xxXX XX XXX
  ##l###ll##  ** xxxx     XXXX   XX  XX XXX
  ##l^##l^##     XXXXX   XXXXXX  XX XXX XXX
  ##l ### ##l    XX XXX XXX  XX  XXXXXXXXXX
  ### ###l ##    XX  XX XXXXXXX  XXXX XXXX
  ###  ### ###   XX xXX XXX xxx  XXX  XXXX
  ###l ### ####b XXXXX   XXXXX   XX   XXX