Issue #379 - June 29, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest     Sunday, June 29 1997     Volume 01 : Number 379

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

OFF-TOPIC POSTS AND PERSONAL ATTACKS
   Do not post off-topic messages. This includes insulting other
listmembers or anyone else, posting chain letters, and any followup to
any of these. As much as you want to reply, please don't. The moderator
will deal with these matters privately. Re-read the rules that you were
sent when you subscribed. To retrieve a copy of the rules, send a message
to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with 'intro' (no quotes) in the
body.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Songs... and touring
    Country Song
    Underground and BFF in Australia
    Soul Coughing List!/Alice Childress
    GUSTER!!!
    five fold
    BFF and String Quartet in Central Park
    For those who want BFF Musical Transcriptions!!!
    Summerstage set list
    Guilty pleasures!

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 20:38:55 -0400
From: Evan Chakroff <chakroff@ee.net>
Subject: Songs... and touring

The only two I would choose from W&EA are Steven's Last Night... and
Evaporated. Keep in mind that I'm choosing between the individual songs. I
like W&EA better when considering it as a whole.

Does anyone know what their plans are for touring after HORDE? I plan on
going to the local HORDE show... but I'd like to know how long it'll be
untl I see them headlining...

- -ec | center-net.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 22:03:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alanica@aol.com
Subject: Country Song

I just got this CD today called " Notes From Home Volume Four." It has Ben
Folds Five on it with them doing Champagne Supernova. This completely blew me
away. I laughed forever, and then it kinda started to sound very sad and
depressing, but still it was halarious! My friend's laughed about it too. I
recomend checking it out, it's great.

Becca

Oh, i have a friend that's going to England soon. Would it be cheaper for him
to pick me up some of the singles there, or should i just order them and save
him the trouble?

" It's easy to be easy and free"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 14:32:39 +1000
From: "Mike O'Gorman" <ogorman@brighton.starway.net.au>
Subject: Underground and BFF in Australia

To Scott and other Australian newbies,

Underground was released in Australia last year. The only radio station that
played it was Triple J, and due to high demand, they played it a lot!
Underground was such a hit that when Triple J compiled their list of the
favourite 100 songs of 1996, Underground was voted in by the listeners as #3!

About BFF touring in Australia - like you said, it has been rumoured that
they will tour in September, but as far as I know, that is yet to be
confirmed. Stay tuned to Triple J as they'll no doubt be presenting them if
they come, and also keep an eye on the official BFF website.

Keep smiling,
ALYSSA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 03:58:38 -0500
From: punkerboy@webtv.net (JOHN SCHOLTES, Jr.)
Subject: Soul Coughing List!/Alice Childress

          Hello all! Sorry for the off topic post, but I know that there
are more than a few Soul Coughing fans on the list, and I thought I'd
let you all know that a new Soul Coughing list entitled Soft Serve has
been started. To subscribe, go to http://www.coollist.com and enter the
word "softserve" (without the "") where it asks which list you would
like to subscribe to and ofcourse put in your email address where it
asks for that.

          Oh yeah, to make this slightly BFF realated. A guy came into
work today and when he presented his credit card to make a purchase, I
noticed his last name was CHILDRESS. So, I asked him if he has any
relatives in NC, and he said that most of his family lives in the area
of Chapel Hill. So, I asked him if he's related to an ALICE CHILDRESS,
and he said it was a good possibility (while looking at me kinda funny
the whole time). I just thought that was cool.

                                The Idiot King,
                                             Johnny

"The cruelest lies are often told without a word.." - Ben Folds

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/1867/ High Velocity Online

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/1187/   The Flannel Tubs online

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 09:07:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: POP QUEEN <edurand@emerald.tufts.edu>
Subject: GUSTER!!!

First, thanks for all the communiques on the NYC show, everyone.  It's
like I was there, really.  And kudos to all you who dug Morphine: they are
from up here in Cambridge, very local guys, Mark Sandman (vocals/3-string
basss) often does poetry slams etc. in the area, and you should
definitelycheck out their almbums "yes" and the new one "like swimming."

In other Boston band news, Jeff ROCKS for bringing up Guster, a great and
silly trio from my own alma mater, Tufts U.!  I know the guys from the
band, and they love BFF!  Their sound has (rightly) been described as
"indigo boys" but their latest release "goldfly" has much plugged guitar.
They are wacky: an early hit was "The Crayola Song" ["red! orange! purple!
yellow! aquamarine!"] and they do excellent covers of "Like A Prayer" and
"99 Luftballons."  Jeff, if yer interested I have their very first tape, 3
songs of low-fi fun.  Check them out, Armchairites!

Oh, and about the nametag idea, Urban Outfitters sells these t-shirts with
a little "Hello, My Name Is" iron-on on the front, and they say, "Hello,
My Name Is SATAN," so maybe if we buy in bulk we can have an official M.A.
uniform...somehow I think Ben et al would appreciate this humor, no?

    emily k. durand

	"I've got this great idea
	 why don't we pitch it to the Franklin fuckin' Mint:
	 fine pewter portaits of general apathy and major boredom singin'
	 Whatever and Ever Amen..."
					--- ben folds five

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 13:10:27 +0000
From: alex_tea <mabp65@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: five fold

hello,

right then, i write a tiny little paper zine about ben folds five...
well the first two issues are tiny anyway, but i want #3 to big and
spankingly brilliant... if you would to contribute to five fold#3 then
just send me an email including yr contibution. it can be anything bff
related, it doesn't have to be a review or whatever. plus if you do
contribute then you get a copy, absolutely free!!! wow! if you'd like to
buy issue one or two of five fold then send 50p + a5 sae or 3IRC's
<IRC's are international reply coupons and can be bought from yr
friendly post office-they cost about teh price of a 1st class stamp!> to
me @: 93 shortheath road, farnham, surrey, gu9 8rz, uk. ok? good...
cheers and everything! bye!

alex_tea

ps: iz anyone here going to the shepard's bush gig on tuesday [1st] if
so i'll be floggin my wares there, so if you see someone selling zines
come and say hi!
- --
| cr@p - a fabulous footstomp of a fan-e-zine	 |
| http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/9206|

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 13:30:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Julsco1@aol.com
Subject: BFF and String Quartet in Central Park

Hey all,

The other night in Central Park was a very nice scene.  I am a drummer in a
NYC called Chronic Reverb.  (We are playing a club in NYC called Downtime at
9:30 PM, Monday June 30, 251 W.30th)  Well anyway I rehearse in several
studios in the city and on Thursday I went to our rehearsal.  I told my other
bandmembers (who don't know BFF well) that I went to see BFF last nite and
that they were great.  My guitarist said that the girl working at the studio
is Ben's violionist.  I know her and didn't even recognize her.  The String
Quartet is playing all summer until August 12.  They are doing the H.O.R.D.E.
dates.  Her name is Lorenza Ponce and she has a CD out.  The opening of the
show was a "cheesey" medley of BFF songs.  She said that Ben wrote it to
sound "cheesey".  She played on Jewel's CD and Jewel's String arranger is
Ben's String Arranger, so that is how she got the job.  She is travelling in
the bus with them all summer and promises upon her return to tell me any
funny stories and hopefully she will have some good tapes.  I will let you
know.

Also, I only have about 2 or 3 BFF tapes right now.  Can anyone help me build
my collection.  Please let me know.

Thanks.
S.J.

julsco1@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 13:31:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Phishrman1@aol.com
Subject: For those who want BFF Musical Transcriptions!!!

I now have added a new part to my site...A BFF TRANSCRIPTION PAGE!!!! With
all the songs from the first album and a few others...so check it out:

http://members.aol.com/phishrman1/jaredhaus.html

I also have pictures, set lists, lyrics, song lists, and song analysis'.

Come check it out!!!

- -jared

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 13:47:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: LindaNikon@aol.com
Subject: Summerstage set list

>? (Instrumental soundtrack type with badabapabaaaa vocals by all three)

That was the Theme to Dr. Physer. The show was really good, but the whole
atmosphere was a nightmare. It was hot and humid... I mean, I felt like a
HUGE labrador retriever was breathing on the whole park. The crowd was way
more sedate than the Irvine Plaza show, and a lot of the audience weren't
really familiar with BF5.

On the other hand, the guys next to me told one person they could only sit
down if they were there for Ben Folds Five. Right on, brother!!! LOL

Linda

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 14:44:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hotdoglove@aol.com
Subject: Guilty pleasures!

I'll indulge myself and send in my top 12 now, just to be ornery...wait, this
is TOO hard for me...each song has it's own special je nais sais qiou (?????)
(I just wanted to sound smart--and prove a point)  How about this:  instead
of picking our fave songs off of each album, list your favorite parts of
songs...
Example:  The excellent harmonizing on Where's Summer B?...the three separate
jamming parts on Song For The Dumped...the bridge of Evaporated..."yeah, and
she breathes" in Kate...Robert and Darren ALONE on "Underground"...Ben's
little sigh at the end of "Brick"...the way they all sound like chickens on
"Fair"!!!!

These are only a FEW of the many delights that I get when listening to a BFF
album...I'm sure others have many more!

Sara