Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 21:05:58 -0400
From: Carrie Shanafelt <LaRubia@compuserve.com>
Subject: Band Followin' Freaks...

OK, I know every famous person/band has those obsessoid freaks that follow
their every move -- oh, STALKERS!! That's what they're called!!  Anyway, I
was just wondering, does anyone know of other bands that if you listen to
them at all, you fall into an inescapable spiral of obsessive behavior?
It's a disease that got me like two years ago, and since then has spread to
most of my friends, some of whom desired the infection, others unwillingly
so.  I've heard Phish is like that, as well as Dream Theater, though I'm
not big on Phish and haven't actually heard DT.  Anyway, I consider myself
a huge fan of a lot of bands, but not that I know everyone in the band's
life history and comments on every song they've done, except Ben Folds
Five.  I know 95% of you are the same way or you wouldn't be here.  Is this
a therapeutic thing, to get together with fellow obsessive people and feel
comfortable?  You know you're obsessive when you realize you are, admit it
to perfect strangers, friends, coworkers, classmates, etc., and don't take
offense when they agree.  (And for some reason, they won't take "They just
make me so happy!" as a good explanation...) Whoever suggested "Ben Folds
Fudge", I think it's a great idea -- get B&J on the line!!
Feeling at home with her people,
Carrie

"Mom, Ben Folds said he thought my shirt was really cool!!" -- Carrie
"Oh dammit; now she'll never take it off..." -- Mom

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 21:12:52 EDT
From: sandishortcake@juno.com
Subject: Chicago/Tinley Park Show

Hello all.  I'm going to the Chi-town (Tinley Park) show, so anyone who
wants to meet up, drop me an e-mail before Sunday morning.  (It's a 6+
hour drive for me, so I'll be leaving around 8am.)  Anywhoo- am really
looking forward to seeing THE band (notice the inflection on THE) again
and hope to run into some strange BF5-ers while I'm there.  I'll be sure
to post a review once I return, and hopefully it will contain a little
more interesting information than my synopsis of the St. Louis show!

Side note to Erik Lyons, whom I"ve been trying to contact (sorry...but
you guys can read it too, very interesting stuff I'm sure...)-- Just got
home from Buffalo and got your e-mails and also saw your post on the
Armchair from today... I will DEFINITELY be at the show...I will e-mail
you at your AOL address.  If worse comes to worse, and we don't get in
touch before I leave for the wonderfully windy city of Chicago (my
hometown...yee-haw!) I will just buy a ticket and hopefully run into you
once inside...alas, I will have nothing to do until our boys take the
stage...except maybe down a few beers, wander around, and mess up the
onsite computers...ahhhh, the joys of being a loner at HORDE.

Sandi

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 22:44:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Enloejr@aol.com
Subject: Re: BFF----ites?heads?

<< I've seen people write Armchairites, and BFF ites, what do
people call themselves who are "obsessed with BFF, like ourselves?? >>

Please. Let's not get into THIS all over again! We are all Ben's minions.
Let's just leave it at that, okay?

- - Darrell

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 23:39:23 -0000
From: "idaho" <idaho@appstate.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Darren is a deity

So I do this thing every once in a while.  I sit back, read Armchairs and
make a few moderately thoughtful posts, but mostly lurk.  But every so
often, I feel the need, after reading so many glorious praises about Ben
(not that he doesn't deserve them) to scream in type DARREN JESSE IS THE
POSTURE-PERFECT PERCUSSION KAHN.  I mean, when you go to a show, just watch
the guy--he's a man possesed (or on some serious drugs to get his face into
all those wierd shapes).  Anyway, this is my obligatory once a monther.  So
there.  Maybe someone should take up the cause of Robert.  He deserves it
too, but I can only handle one band member at a time.
Oh yeah.  I heard that Darren's girlfriend reads this and thinks we're all
psycho.  She may be right.

Bryan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 97 20:24:45 PDT
From: Beck <beckwk@pnc.com.au>
Subject: BFF in Oz & Bass

Hi All,

This is a first-time effort me so please don't sneer at my lame
conversations. The first matter that I'd like to raise is BFF coming
to Australia. This is a tribute to the guys, and more than enough
to make the rest of this year seem worthwhile. I can't Believe
that these guys are playing at the Uni I go to, and so close to my
birthday. I might even be able to meet the guys if I'm lucky! I look
forward to it with baited anticipation.

The last matter is does anybody know any sites where I can get
Roberts bass tabs from? I have looked high and low without
success.

Thanks for your troubles

Matt

PS if you're from Oz I'd love to hear from you, you can also mail
     me at    -     uplift_mofo@hotmail.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 23:56:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Soapscribe@aol.com
Subject: Fwd: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #424

In a message dated 97-08-01 22:43:12 EDT, owner-armchair@ford.il.ft.hse.nl
writes:

<< Actually, Todd is one of the most amazing artists and musicians
 working today, and all of his albums (there must be twenty or so--
 all available through Rhino records) are interesting.
 It's just that the first three are classics, and somewhat
 in the "Ben Folds" sound.

 I realize this is a long note, but now you all know.

 Tom
 (BUzz12746@aol.com) >>
FOR A GOOD INTRO to Todd, may I also reccomend
 (if you can find it) "Back To The Bars", a two record set that ably serves
as a "Todd Is God" primer, and proves that, like Ben, Darren and
Robt, Todd is fab live.  Hey, a fave Todd cover featured on "Back To", "Never
Never Land" (yes, from Peter Pan) would suit Ben to a t.