Issue #429 - August 5, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, August 5 1997    Volume 01 : Number 429

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Subscribe
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #428
    [none]
    RE: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #424
    Chicago/Tinley Park HORDE...beware: long post
    Let's get this over with. . .
    Just some questions....
    Hi
    Significant Others and Chicago
    The Bhagavad Gita
    DAYTON Armchairs Untie... er... Unite!
    Almost forgot....BF5 on MTV
    signatures, anyone?
    Re: BFF Story

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 21:25:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: JERRPG@aol.com
Subject: Subscribe

please add me to the mailing list.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 00:20:51 -0700
From: Janet <LemonDrp@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #428

some b-sides:
song for the dumped (japanese)
for all the pretty people
mitchell lane
champagne supernova cover (live)

there ya go.

janet.
"now with time-released freshness"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 97 17:52:10 PDT
From: Beck <beckwk@pnc.com.au>
Subject: [none]

Hi All,

I'm just writing to let you all know that I am going to the gig at Sydney Uni when BFF arrive in Oz. I'm going to try and get backstage pass's (if that is permissable) as they are playing at my Uni.
I remember somebody saying something about a person backing Roberts part in the band. I think that there is no need to distinguish between the guys as they all form part of a very tight outfit. (Although I do have a soft spot for bass as my piano skills are far below par).
If anybody who reads this is going to the Sydney show, you will easily be able to recognize me, I'm getting a shirt printed with a photo of the band up front and the words HELLO, MY NAME IS...... on the back.

wish me luck in scamming

Matt

love, laugh, and live

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 07:18:09 -0400
From: "Faix, Andrew" <AFaix@harris.com>
Subject: RE: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #424

"Just a thought. I've seen people write Armchairites, and BFF ites, what
do
people call themselves who are "obsessed with BFF, like ourselves??
Panic.

Skineey"

AARRGGHH!!!!  I thought we ended this!  We are the fans without a name!
Let there be no labels.  Call yourself whatever you like, but please
don't lump me into a collective Ben folds Five fan consciousness (I WILL
NOT BE ASSIMILATED!  RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE!).

Sorry, I probably over-reacted.  I just wanted to nip this in the bud
before it gathered any momentum.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

- -Andrew (afaix@harris.com)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 09:48:02 EDT
From: sandishortcake@juno.com
Subject: Chicago/Tinley Park HORDE...beware: long post

Okay, I JUST got home from the show...granted it IS 9am the following
morning, but it's a LONG drive...  Here goes:  It was wonderful.  Would
you expect me to say anything less?  <giggle>  I really, really, really,
(etc) wish those HORDE people would get their asses in gear and realize
that BF5 needs longer than a half hour though.  This is my 2nd, and quite
possibly last, HORDE show and I didn't get to see them play most of my
favorites at either...but there's always the "Brick" tour.  (REALLY
wanted to hear "Best Imitation" and others)  Okay, now to get back on
track: they nixed one song since St. Louis (I can't remember which one)
and added "Song for the Dumped".  I think I would have liked to have
heard whatever they cut instead of Dumped, but the kids in the crowd
enjoy screaming "bitch" 40 times and the f-you part, so I can understand
why it was added.  Great "anthem" tune.  Anywhoo, the string section
sounded great and when Ben introduced them, they all screamed into the
microphone.  I thought that was pretty cool...I'm not quite sure why I
thought it was cool, but I did.  I think it's safe to say that I did a
little too much bouncing at this show and the St. Louis one because I
have horendous blisters on both feet...ahhh, BF5 battle wounds.  I'm
hoping someone will post the set list from this show because I remember
being surprised that they played one song, but I can't remember which one
it was...duhhhh.    Stood out in the rain for an hour (and when I say
rain, I mean RAIN...major lightning, thunder, etc) in line for autographs
like a doofuss (how do you spell that anyway?)...I had just talked to
them after the show and totally spaced about getting them to sign my Cd.
So I waited in the rain and now it's all good.  Very, very strange
night...met 2 BF5 fans (brothers) who ended up missing their train back
to the city, so I gave them a lift home, although it ended up being an
extra hour or more after traffic and everything...by the way, DOUG: I
made it home alive.  Thanks for all those Menendez brother comments...I
was quite relaxed while driving them home after that!  ugh.

A big hello to Erik, Jennifer, and Tina.  I'm sorry that I didn't bump
into you guys too much while there...I think you guys were actually
watching the bands, while I was just lying on a blanket all day.  I had
no desire to see ANY of the bands except BF5, so it was quite a long day.
 I hope you guys made it home safely.

One more thing: I was REALLY surprised to see how many people in the
crowd knew all the words to all of the songs.  I guess Chicago really
knows what's up or something of that nature...  There were also 200 (or
more) people waiting in line for autographs in the pouring rain...pretty
impressive.  Okay, that's all....

Sandi

Quote of the day: "I'd like to be in a band just so I could have a tour
manager as cool as Doug." - Robin Schmoldt (friend) while at HORDE
(yesterday), after meeting Doug.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 09:59:20 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: Let's get this over with. . .

I am referring to my review of the Chicago HORDE stop. I am hung over,
tired and still sick from eating 10 White Castles on the way home from the
show. But somehow I will try to convey to all the "wild" events which took
place in Tinley Park, Illinois, on August 3, 1997.

It all started with some vodka/lemonade shake-ups about 11am in the car
on the way up to the show. Once we arrived, we had the good fortune of
obtaining VIP passes which gave us limited access to a patio/beer garden
behind the main stage. So that was the first place we stopped (because we
couldn't buy liquor at the venue until 3:30. . .whatz up with that??) And, as
always, somehow we seemed to run into Ben almost as soon as we walked
in the door. We had put together a care package for him, Robert and
Darren (which included pick-up sticks, a yo-yo, uno, an Underdog
paddle-ball, a phone and pager for Darren (who always seems to be on the
phone with his girlfriend) and various other knick-knacks), so we gave the
stuff to Ben and chatted out there for about 15 minutes. We then headed
out into the masses of people to catch the acts.

1. KULA SHAKER rocked. DO NOT miss this act if it is at your venue.
2. TOAD was very entertaining AGAIN and we had the chance to get a pic
with Todd, the guitar player on the patio.
3. John Hopper was there, so it was a media circus. We had the chance to
*bumb* into Kurt Loder from MTV. Hopper played on the
HORDE-O-CULTURE stage with Neil Young about 10 minutes into the day.
Carzy stuff.
4. BECK is a musical genius. This guy is incredible. We also got a pic with
him.
5. (for ben folds five) The guys rocked and it was a lot of fun. You know the
story with the shows. It was short but hey, whaddaya gonna do?? Ben
threw his stool at the keys. Darren made those great faces while executing
skillful percussion moves, and Robert played with enthusiasm never seen
by this reviewer in previous shows. The string section seemed very in to the
show as well. Those girls and one guy are very good.

Okay, now for the bizzare. About 15 minutes before Neil Young was to start
playing, a frickin' hurricane hit the theatre. I am talking D-O-W-N-P-O-U-R.
IT was insane. We were backstage doing a lot of drinking and mingling
when it hit. I got some great black and whites of the activity during the rain.
So Neil goes out and plays for a litttle and then "CRACK," a spectacular
lightning bolt comes from the heavens above and shut the ENTIRE theatre
down. NO music, no lights, nothing. . . for about what seemed like a minute
(but was probably shorter). So they clear everyone from backstage out to
the main theatre. We get out there and water is just GUSHING down the
hill. There are mini-lakes everywhere. EVERYONE is wet from head to toe.
And Neil is still playing, however, the only amps they are using are the ones
on the stage the band uses. It was like seeing Neil in a bar setting. He was
just rocking the place and the place WAS rocking. There was probably
about 100 people on the stage because of the rain. It was a huge party.

Sorry for the long post. Remember to look on your ticket, because they
don't lie when they say "Rain or Shine."

Thanks again Ben, Robert and Darren for another outstanding show (and
for everything else also).

- -Erik.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 15:48:21 GMT
From: "Mark Piper" <mfp540@novell3.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Just some questions....

Hi all,

	A couple of things to ask anyone who might possibly know the
answers....

a)Who supported BFF at their Shepherds Bush gig on July 1st?

b)Searching through the HMV bargain bins the other day, I picked up a
copy of Ultimate Alternative Wavers by Built To Spill for just 3
pounds (and subsequently found it in another record shop for 14!).
Thing is, I don't have my CD player with me. Anyone have a copy of
this? Any opinions on it?

Email me if you have any answers. Cheers.

Oh, by the way, my website, Looks, Brains & Everything, will be
undergoing major changes this week, so if you can't get to it, or if
things are going astray, please don't worry, and come and have a look
when it's all done. Now, what sort of colour scheme should I have....

Mark
|     mfp540@bham.ac.uk   pipermf@phymat.bham.ac.uk    |
|               Looks, Brains & Everything -           |
|   http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/5430/bff.html |

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 13:21:26 -0500
From: excandescent@cowland.com
Subject: Hi

       I give shoutz out to y'allz.
       The e-mail address you have reached, excandescent@thenexus.com,
has been changed.  The new e-mail address is excandescent@cowland.com.
Please make a note of it.
       Just wanted to drop a line to anyone that has corresponded with
me as excandescent@thenexus.com that I had to change my e-mail address
due to The Nexus no longer being in service :(

       And now, because I'm sending this to two mailing lists, Ben Folds
Five AND Soundgarden content:
       You know the song "For Those of Y'all That Wear Fannie Packs" by
BFF right?  Well, that song is making fun of fannie pack wearers.  Yet
Kim Thayil from Soundgarden wears a fannie pack.  And both bands are two
of my favorites.  Go figure...
       Sorry, that was kinda lame :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 13:37:59 -0600
From: Tina Archer <EPA2324@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: Significant Others and Chicago

Hi all,

Just wanted to clear up the comments made about significant others.  I
originally posted about Robert's girlfriend.  I was talking to him in St. Louis
and he told me about his girlfriend thinking we were all psycho.  I don't
know about Darren's girlfriend, however I do know for a fact that he calls
her all the time.  At two of the four shows I have been to this year, he
has been on the phone with her.  What a great devoted guy, sigh.  As for
Kate, she is the coolest person who would never think ill of any of us.  I
wish you all could meet her.  She and Ben are the greatest couple.  She
made it possible for me and my friends to have the greatest time in
Chicago.  We owe her a lot.

So, speaking of Chicago, we got our passes (thanks Doug), and
immediately saw Neil Young and John Popper on the Horde-a-Culture
stage, awesome.  Then we ran into Ben backstage and gave him the toys
we brought for the tour bus. We chatted for a while and then left and
hung out.  I was talking to my friends from Push Down and Shove (the
local Battle of the Bands winner) and I saw Darren setting up his drums.  I
told him I was learning to play the drums, so he said I could teach him- -
yeah NOT.  I have to agree with Bryan who said Darren is the
Picture-Perfect Percussion Kahn in an earlier issue.  Incredible.  I would
take up the Robert Sledge issue, because he is definitely one of the best
bass players ever, I am just not creative enough.   SO someone help us
out.  Well, it finally got to be 6:40 and the set was perfect as usual.  There
are no more accolades left to describe the BFF experience, so I won't
even try.  Lar and Tony, it was like deja-vu, but you guys weren't  there,
sadness.    Hung out some more and went backstage.  Then things
started getting interesting. . I swear there was a typhoon.  It downpoured
for about an hour, and the electricity went semi-out.  Beck came out and
was enjoying the rain, we got some pictures, sorry a little off topic, but
that guy is also a genius.  Neil Young's set was incredible, the rain was
literally pouring down into the pavillion and everyone was totally into it.  It
was the best, wild and craziest time I have ever had.  Just wanted to
share.  Hope all who were there had great times as well.  Thanks for
listening (or reading, as the case may be).  Later.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:49:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Aziza Tullia <depst@proaxis.com>
Subject: The Bhagavad Gita

<<I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering what
Bhagavad Gita was.(The thing Kate hands out).  I looked it up in the
dictionary and wha-la! it was there.>>

You know those people who hang out in airports and wear orange robes and
shave their heads? Hari Krishna's? It's one of their books. I'm not sure
exactly what it's about. I can ask my parents and get back to you on that,
if you want. (Having ex-hippies for parents isn't ALWAYS  a bad thing...)

- --Jessie

- ------------------
"Just my 6 cents (adjusted for inflation)" --BSCHACK@aol.com

"Is it just me or are there any others of you who simply wouldn't have been
caught dead two years ago in any shirt that these three wear on a daily
basis?"
- --Jason Kilts about Ben Folds Five's wardrobe choices

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/2605/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 09:19:24 -0700
From: trzeciak@sprynet.com
Subject: DAYTON Armchairs Untie... er... Unite!

Anyone in the DAYTON, OHIO region or Miami Valley?  If so, please write
to this email address:	           trzeciak@sprynet.com

After a week or so of emails, if a group does evolve, I will send each of
you an email list of Dayton Armchairs.  Its use will be defined later!

James Trzeciak

(This is your second notice. Anyone that has not responded, please do so
soon.)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 17:10:49 EDT
From: sandishortcake@juno.com
Subject: Almost forgot....BF5 on MTV

I almost forgot to write this!  Mtv was at the Chicago HORDE interviewing
the bands, so watch for BF5 on the week in rock or something.  Also, I
met Kurt Loder.  This is kind of funny...I was walking to this little
patio thing backstage to say my little goodbyes and Kurt Loder was
walking in front of me.  So I tapped  him on the shoulder.  He didn't
turn around.  I tapped him again and he didn't turn around.  So I said
"Hey, I just tapped you" and he turned around with this annoying look on
his mug and I said "Have you interviewed Ben Folds Five yet?" and he goes
"I didn't, but somebody else did so we got you covered" and he smiled and
walked away.  I think the lady that was walking with him found it amusing
that I tapped Kurt just to ask about Ben Folds Five...she giggled when I
asked him that and then she winked at me as they walked away.  I think
Kurt was a little bitter that day or something.  He sure has a lot of
wrinkles up close.  I thought he was much younger until last night.
Anyway, I would have to say, he seemed like a stiff, uptight old guy.
(No offense to any old farts out there.)
Remember to watch Mtv for the little interview segment...and if anyone
happens to get it on tape, I'll pay top dollar for a copy...us poor
college folk can't afford cable!

Sandi "hey I tapped you" Shorter

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 14:27:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Aziza Tullia <depst@proaxis.com>
Subject: signatures, anyone?

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO BFF OR MUSIC.

I am a signature-junkie. If you think you have a cool sig (or even a crappy
one) PLEASE just send me a blank message so long as your sig is attatched.
See! You can feel like you're being sociable with absolutely no risk to your
health! Thanks a lot. (Be sure to include your name or what you go by on the
net because I might quote your sig.)

- --Jessie
depst@proaxis.com

- ------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 17:58:03 -0500
From: punkerboy@webtv.net (JOHN SCHOLTES, Jr.)
Subject: Re: BFF Story

For those that don't know. The legs come right off of his Baby Grand to
make it more easily transportable. They'll probably have four or five
guys lift up the body and maybe one more carry the legs... or... if
they're smart, they'll just use the elevator (if there is one).

                                        The Idiot King,
                                                   Johnny

"I'm half-drunk on babble you transmit." - Soul Coughing

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/1867/ High Velocity Online