Issue #431 - August 6, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Wednesday, August 6 1997   Volume 01 : Number 431

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    ben folds five
    H.O.R.D.E fest.....  Pine Knob, MI
    i'm BEGGING, okay?
    Freak
    Posters?  Please?
    Amazing feats of piano moving / Still using old scratch & dent?
    More on the Bhagavad Gita
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #430
    Hi Im a Newbie
    re: Subject: signatures, anyone?
    Kate
    Ben Folds on a new record
    Damn
    Yet another VCR alert!

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 20:55:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Puppycrush@aol.com
Subject: ben folds five

i have dubbed my car the beast of slow poisen and happily wedged between my
back-pack and a case of natie lite is ben folds five riding shot-gun. the
boys smoke cigarettes and play cards as i suffle through the city streets in
search of captain greeting card and his legion of flying monkeys (a
perplexing position for the three, you would think, but really, they're
pretty cool about the whole thing).
the four of us occasionally crack open the brew and riffle through my pack
but it's all for one so you better know better than to front. just last week
i caught robert exclaiming, "man, this is a heavy acid trip." so i had to lay
the smack down. breaks my heart every time.
- -pup

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 23:02:34 -0700
From: aplauri@juno.com (Philip J. L.)
Subject: H.O.R.D.E fest.....  Pine Knob, MI

i just recently attended the horde fest in michigan at pine knob.  all i
have to say is that it was one of the best shows i have ever seen!!!  bff
 was really good.. the setlist for them was a litlle odd but no too bad.
what i have to say is is that anyone that has the chance to got o this
thing........GO!!!!  even if you do not like any of the bands, just go to
see bff!!!!  i definetely recommend it!!  bff and some other bands
(morphine, leftover salmon)  signed stuff for you, and it was all just
great fun!!!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 22:06:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: MissDa@aol.com
Subject: i'm BEGGING, okay?

one more time, i'm begging anybody who is going to a horde show to PLEASE
PLEASE PLEASE grab me a poster!!  i have a few tapes to trade, or money to
give you if you don't want any of my tapes... please, some kind soul, do me
this enormous favor?? i'd do the same for you!!

amanda
missda@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 22:16:37 -0400
From: liz <lizrob@mindspring.com>
Subject: Freak

Hi,

>In the last few weeks, I have seen a post saying that Robert's girlfriend
>reads the Armchair and thinks we're a bunch of freaks...

...and my philosophy is this:

You guys are a bunch of freaks because you read and post on the list.
I read and post on the list.
Therefore I must be a freak too.

Elizabeth,
Robert's girlfriend

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 12:14:22 +1000
From: Coleambally Central School Library <d4348cn1@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Posters?  Please?

Well Hey there fellow BFF fans!!

As you can see, I'm a lonley little (?) fan that lives in the cotton
wool of society and i don't tend to get out much.

I was wondering, and have been wondering for a long time, - have any
magazines printed BIG posters of BFF?  Are there any for sale? Does
anyone want to sell them to me?

Please help me!! I'm grovelling now....

You would really save my life if you could tell me about them, coz you
see i live in Australia,  and basically,  there is probably one person
out of 10000 people that like BFF in my area,( I'm working on
converting.)

I've never seen any posters of them ever.  Yes i am a sorry soul.

THANX millions >:-)

Love from Alison Ward

Piano bashing from the land down under!!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 23:11:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Clay <fender@grove.ufl.edu>
Subject: Amazing feats of piano moving / Still using old scratch & dent?

I don't know about up stairs, but they can move that thing from the truck
to the stage unbelieveably quickly.  I'm watching the stage as drums and
bass gear are setup, I turn around for, it had to be, less than 20-25
seconds to talk to a friend and I turn back to see the Baldwin completely
in place.  Is Ben still playing the same super-beat up piano that he
played over a year ago?  The one that fell out of the truck...(ugh)

Steve.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 02:10:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brad654@aol.com
Subject: More on the Bhagavad Gita

<< You know those people who hang out in airports and wear orange robes and
 shave their heads? Hari Krishna's? It's one of their books. I'm not sure
 exactly what it's about. I can ask my parents and get back to you on that,
 if you want. (Having ex-hippies for parents isn't ALWAYS  a bad thing...) >>

Actually, the document is an Indian epic, as in a piece of literature-- epic
in the way of Homer's Odyssey, Homer's Iliad, Beowulf, and The Bridges of
Madison County. Oh, wait-- that's not right...

Anyway, at least part of the narrative details a great battle between Krishna
and I can't remember who. I guess my main point of writing was to say that it
is not a Hare Krishna document in the way the Bible is a Christian document
or the way the Torrah is a Jewish document. The Krishnas, as I understand it,
sort of adopted it as a special text, much like this mailing list adopted the
text of "Brick" as our religious text-- complete with holy wars over exactly
what it meant.

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 02:25:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mansuetude@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #430

Just saw the music video for oad as the last song on the m2 preview.  I think
that they idea that Ben and the boys can play their music anywhere, even on
the roof of a sewer, if pretty cool!  Also, someone said something about no
dwarfs... Well, in this case, the dwarf is the guy who stole Robert's shoe...

Kris
(formerly kristaffer@aol.com)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 16:45:04 +1000
From: michael <michaelb@coolgold.com.au>
Subject: Hi Im a Newbie

Love the band, the lyrics,the piano ,the whole f***ing lot actually
Just got a small question .
What is a helmet head????? / hat ???
As in Philosophy . Is it a sexual reference ? Or ..........
Philosophy would be my favourite song on that album.
Havent heard the 2nd album yet :(
Cheers
    __  __  ____  ___  _   _    __    ____  __
   (  \/  )(_  _)/ __)( )_( )  /__\  ( ___)(  )
    )    (  _)(_( (__  ) _ (  /(__)\  )__)  )(__
   (_/\/\_)(____)\___)(_) (_)(__)(__)(____)(____)
   ... __ ... __ ... __ ... __ ... __ ... __ ...

		michaelb@coolgold.com.au

		http://www.coolgold.com.au/~michaelb/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 08:43:56 -0400
From: "Bob Camody" <tarkusva@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: re: Subject: signatures, anyone?

>Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 14:27:34 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Aziza Tullia <depst@proaxis.com>
>Subject: signatures, anyone?
>
>WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO BFF OR MUSIC.
>
>I am a signature-junkie. If you think you have a cool sig (or even a crappy
>one) PLEASE just send me a blank message so long as your sig is attatched.
>See! You can feel like you're being sociable with absolutely no risk to
your
>health! Thanks a lot. (Be sure to include your name or what you go by on
the
>net because I might quote your sig.)
>
>- --Jessie
>depst@proaxis.com

Errr, call me stupid, but would you like our credit card numbers as well?

*------------------
Bob Carmody
email: tarkus@hamnetcenter.com  tarkusva@worldnet.att.net
Visit Another Green World:   http://www.hamnetcenter.com/tarkus
ICQ Number: 1007516
*---------------------------------------------------------------------*
   "So stupendous, living in this tube" - Phish 10/22/96 Hampton VA
*---------------------------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 09:08:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: Kate

	Wow, Kate likes us? That is too cool! I mean, aside from the fact
that we are an assorted group of geeks, freaks, psychos, and sychophants
that praise her husband like the God that he is, I never would have
expected that. Wow, I mean, Oy, I mean, Dude, I mean, JOYGASM!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Eric proceeds to run around the computer lab, laughing maniacally. Lucky
thing for him it's a small, empty computer lab ;)*

	Okay, I got that out of my system. Thanks, I needed that. I think
I'll lie down now.... ;)

ERIC
	"Huge, muscular men are always one of three things: unmercifully
stupid, taken, or gay."
						Kei, from Dirty Pair

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 14:06:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: MERSSM@rascal.guilford.edu
Subject: Ben Folds on a new record

Though my summer job as general manager of my school's radio
station is often times frustrating, all the annoying aspects of
the job now seem worth it. Yesterday I was in the station and
who should appear but Snuzz. For those of you less familiar with
the music scene around these parts (Greensboro, NC)...Snuzz is
the guitarist for the Greensboro based band Bus Stop. This is
the group that includes Chuch Folds (Ben's brother and Armchair
contributor) on bass, Evan Olsen (who was in Majosha with Ben)
on guitar and vocals, and Eddie Walker on drums. Anyway, they
are great.

Snuzz has just put out a record with Chuck still on bass and
Eddie on drums. Snuzz does the guitar playin' and singin'. He
was nice enough to bring by a copy of the record. Ben Folds
plays piano on one track. I don't know how this cd is being
distributed, but if you are curious, e-mail me. I have Snuzz's
e-mail address. Or I guess I could do some taping....

Later,
Susan Mers

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 15:38:33 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: Damn

Popper. . .Popper, you idiot. . .

I guess I was thinking about Dennis Hopper.

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 19:22:31 -0400
From: Mandel Ilagan <ilagan@husc.harvard.edu>
Subject: Yet another VCR alert!

For those out there that missed it the first go-round...

HBO is rerunning the second Reverb episode featuring Ben Folds Five on late
night Wednesday/technically-early-morning Thursday (August 6, but really
August 7) at 4:15 A.M. Eastern time.

- - Mandel