Issue #432 - August 7, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Thursday, August 7 1997    Volume 01 : Number 432

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Chicago BF5
    Robert's Girlfriend
    Re: Amazing feats of piano moving
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #431
    Re: "Helmet head?"
    A little off-topic, but still noteworthy
    Sorry, Jessie
    re: signatures, anyone?
    helmet hat
    the Gita
    Allow Me To Introduce Myself
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #431
    helmet hat
    Australian "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces" Single  track listing.
    Kate....3 Singles!!!
    HORDE Fest at Vernon Downs

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 20:32:27 +0000
From: muzinic@megspo.megsinet.net
Subject: Chicago BF5

While at the Chicago HORDE show, I asked the guys when they'll be
back.  They said that their tour will continue in the States after
they return from Austraila.

Just thought I'd let all of you know that BF5 will be back before the
end of the year.

J.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 18:49:26 -0700
From: jessmiester@juno.com (Jessica A Lemley)
Subject: Robert's Girlfriend

Elizabeth-
Thanks so very much for your post, and your admittal that you too are a
freak, because i contend it takes all kinds to make the world go round.
- --Jessie
- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Look Ma--I'm Online--<www2.netcom.com/~dhill4/homepage.html>
"Take a break Driver8, Driver8 take a break
We can reach our destination, but we're still a ways away."
- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 97 22:49:39 -0500
From: Dan Goodspeed <goodsd@rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: Amazing feats of piano moving

The piano he is on tour with right now is the same one he used for both
recording and touring on the first album.  he used a different one to
record "Whatever" as Piano #1 was being rebuilt.  He told me when he's
done with it, he's going to sell it to a radio station to be given away
in some sort of contest.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 23:18:18 -0400
From: Rodrigo Delgado <rdelgado@home.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #431

Ohhh, my first reply to the airchair.....

Boy am I pissed,  Ben and the boys stop the HORDE tour two stops before
my
HORDE date (Washington D.C.)  Oh well you cant win them all...

> sort of adopted it as a special text, much like this mailing list adopted the
> text of "Brick" as our religious text-- complete with holy wars over exactly
> what it meant.
IF I may open a 'Pandora's Box' , what is it that was in dispute?  If
you ask me, the
song is about someone dealing with an abortion in a young relationship.
I mean "cant you
see,  its not me your dying for" ......

> From: michael <michaelb@coolgold.com.au>
> Subject: Hi Im a Newbie

> Just got a small question .
> What is a helmet head????? / hat ???
> As in Philosophy . Is it a sexual reference ? Or ..........

Well, its a term for what happens to your hair when you take off a
baseball cap/ hat that
you have been wearing for a long time.  If your hair is big, it makes
your head look like
a helmet.

C-Ya
Roy

"Cause everyone knows now that everynight now will be Stevens Last night
in Town"
					BFF

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 23:56:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Clay <fender@grove.ufl.edu>
Subject: Re: "Helmet head?"

	Helmet head...Helmet hat...Hmm, I'm not sure which is said (or
intended to be said), but it always fits into *my* picture of the song
like so:  The narrarator is a contractor of some sort, or more sensibly an
architect, who first surveys the site ("even when this all was grass") and
sees his wonderful creation before it's constructed.  Yeah, this is all
pretty obvious, so what am I offering?  I have to ride a scooter to campus
everyday and what I hate most is how the helmet totally screws up my
already lame hair (Except of course when I get caught in a monsoon on the
way home, that sucks worse).  Anywho, this is what I've always imagined
"helmet hat" referring to; his messed up hair from wearing a safety
helmet.  I'm sorry I wasted everyone's time with all of this ! :)

Steve

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 23:58:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com
Subject: A little off-topic, but still noteworthy

Hey guys.  For those of you that don't know, I manage a band here in St.
Louis.  We have gone into a world-class studio and recorded a few tracks(5)
which we are packaging into an EP.  The kicker is that we don't have money
and we fund everything on our own.  So, we are selling the tapes at 4$ a
piece(3, but 4 if I have to mail it to ya).  If you are interested at all,
please let me know.  I'll give you additional info then.  Thanks soooo much
for readin what I have to say.
Josh Turner

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 21:00:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Aziza Tullia <depst@proaxis.com>
Subject: Sorry, Jessie

<<Actually, the document is an Indian epic, as in a piece of literature-- epic
in the way of Homer's Odyssey, Homer's Iliad, Beowulf, and The Bridges of
Madison County. Oh, wait-- that's not right...

Anyway, at least part of the narrative details a great battle between Krishna
and I can't remember who. I guess my main point of writing was to say that it
is not a Hare Krishna document in the way the Bible is a Christian document
or the way the Torrah is a Jewish document. The Krishnas, as I understand it,
sort of adopted it as a special text, much like this mailing list adopted the
text of "Brick" as our religious text-- complete with holy wars over exactly
what it meant.

Brad>>

My apologies to everyone. You have  found me out. I am a fraud. I like to
pretend I know what I'm talking about...(I thoutht it sounded pretty
convincing.) I knew I'd heard of it before and assumed since that's what my
parents are most into... Now I feel like a real loser... I'll just go cry in
the corner now...

- ------------------
"Just my 6 cents (adjusted for inflation)" --BSCHACK@aol.com

"I'm good at hating people" --Fiona Apple

"Is it just me or are there any others of you who simply wouldn't have been
caught dead two years ago in any shirt that these three wear on a daily
basis?"
- --Jason Kilts about Ben Folds Five's wardrobe choices

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/2605/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 21:06:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Aziza Tullia <depst@proaxis.com>
Subject: re: signatures, anyone?

<<Errr, call me stupid, but would you like our credit card numbers as well?>>

Stupid-
<sarcasm>No thanks. I'm not really into hordeing credit card numbers yet.
But when I get there, I'll call you up.</sarcasm> <not-so-snide remark> If
you don't want to give me your signature, don't. Plenty of people were COOL
enough to share their wit and/or favorite quote with me via their
signature.(Thanks, guys.)</not-so-snide remark> <REALLY bad wanna-be
gangster> watch your back, bro </REALLY bad wanna-be gangster>

- ------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 23:07:41 -0500 (EST)
From: "Matt Moberly (part 1)" <mmoberly@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
Subject: helmet hat

I'm sure this is only one of about 50 corrections about the Philosophy
lyric, but I'll make it short.  Philosophy is about a metaphoric
skyscraper being built by Ben, I'm guessing to represent his musical
career or something else significant.  Look up at the skyline, the
mortar, brick, and glass... yadda yadda, helmet hat is a construction hat.

p.s. I thought it was helmet head too for a long time and would have made
the same post 4 months ago.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 00:12:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Adam 'DeLicious' DeLisse" <adeliss@comp.uark.edu>
Subject: the Gita

for all questions about the Gita, go to maynard's site and check out under
discography or other questions or find the link to the Gita cause there is
a very eloquent explanation, even if i do say so myself :)

Adam DeLisse
					.
				       / \
				      / V \
				     /     \
				    / V V V \
				   /   V V   \
				  / V   V   V \
				 /             \
				/ V V V V V V V \
			       /   V V V V V V   \
			      / V   V V V V V   V \
			     /       V V V V       \
			    / V V V   V V V   V V V \
			   /   V V     V V     V V   \
			  / V   V   V   V   V   V   V \
			 /____________________________ \

   ...............and people say there is no beauty in math..............

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 00:34:51 PDT
From: "Courtney Knopf" <vegasbaby@hotmail.com>
Subject: Allow Me To Introduce Myself

Hi, I'm new to the list and thought I'd say hello. I caught the band at
the Portland HORDE show in July. It rocked my world. Even cooler, got to
meet the guys and they signed a poster. In case any of you don't know
about it, you can catch Ben Folds Five on 3 broadcasts of KCRW's Morning
Becomes Eclectic in Real Audio at www.liveconcerts.com/listening/kcrw
There's one from Oct. 95, then there's just Ben guest DJing (He plays
the  Majosha version of Emaline) from June, and again in July where it's
pretty much their HORDE set list. Very cool, check it out.

Courtney

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 03:59:00 -0500
From: Jason Cooper <jwc5051@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>

Damn, I was just thinking the same thing!

Jason

Puppycrush@aol.com wrote....

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 02:47:34 -0600
From: Pluvius Dope <Policy@Mobsters.com>

	To whomever was asking about Philosophy, I believe Ben is referring to a
hat which has the word Helmet on it. Helmet being a kick ass thrash group.
Not as kick ass as the boys, but still good.

Pluvius Dope

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 23:09:20 +1000
From: Craig Hawker <craigh@iaccess.com.au>
Subject: Australian "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces" Single  track listing.

Hey All,

The Australian single for "One Angry Dwarf And 200 Solemn Faces" is out here
in Oz and for anyone that cares here is the track listing

1. One Angry Dwarf And 200 Solemn Faces
2. Bad Idea (demo version)
3. For All The Pretty People (Ben on Bass, and Robert on Piano)

it is a very cool single!!!!

Sorry if you allready know this!!!
Byee

- - Craig

"Kiss My ass goodbye"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 18:25:35 +0100
From: paulmay@bigfoot.com (Paul May)
Subject: Kate....3 Singles!!!

Hi Everyone

I just bought a blue Kate single. Is it the US version or what? I have the
two singles with Mitchell Lane and Bad Idea, but what is this one?

Thanks

Paul

_______________________________
Visit the People on The Armchair page:
http://www.iol.ie/~may
_______________________________

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 13:20:00 -0500
From: Laura Flood <Laura.Flood@westgroup.com>
Subject: HORDE Fest at Vernon Downs

     Hi all,

     I went to Horde last night.  Let me tell you, I was extremely
     disappointed.

     I missed the first 2 acts because they moved up the start time from  4
     to 3 pm.  and with the traffic and all...

     Anyway, I got there when Toad the Wet Sprocket was on stage.  It
     started to rain, a lot.  Most people migrated inside (the show was
     held at a race track).  After it stopped raining, I watched Leftover
     Salmon.  They were pretty good.

     Primus came on, and we went inside to use the bathrooms and buy beer.
     Then camped out in front of the second stage waiting for BBF to start.
     They were, of course, fantastic.  Ben only spoke once during their
     set.  Something to the effect of "Since you are paying a dollar a
     minute, I won't talk too long, please give a hand to Susan."

     During the middle of Philosophy, I gave up my prized spot to get in
     line at the CD shop.  I wanted to make sure I got  poster.  Much to my
     chagrin.  They were NOT signing.  That's right.  I was quite upset.
     The whole reason I went to Horde was to see them, and if I was
     blowing a day off work, I wanted an autograph.  I told the guy behind
     the counter just that and he gave me a free Leftover Salmon CD.

     I was walking away, I noticed Ben by a fence with about ten people
     around him.  I ran over and had him sign my ticket stub.  I then asked
     him went they were coming to Rochester, NY.  He said "In the fall."
     As I was walking away, I heard another guy ask if they were coming to
     Buffalo.  Ben replied "In the fall."

     I did met a guy named Ty from Leftover Salmon, had him sign my free cd
     and we hung out with him for awhile.  Otherwise, I thought the show
     was a let down.  Maybe I am getting old.

     Laura

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 11:23:36 -0600
From: Paul Flatt <pflatt@flash.net>

At 02:00 AM 8/6/97 +0200, a bunch of armcharians wrote:
>thing........GO!!!!  even if you do not like any of the bands, just go to
>see bff!!!!  i definetely recommend it!!  bff and some other bands
>(morphine, leftover salmon)  signed stuff for you, and it was all just
>great fun!!!!!!

Oh.... let me just say.. I had to work the day of HORDE in Phoenix... but I
*really* shoulda called in sick!!!  Oh well...  Anyone know of any plans to
tour the US when they get back from Australia??  I really hope they come to
Phoenix of Tucson again...

**Stacy slams her head against the wall for being so stupid as to miss them
2 times in 4 months... one of which was *free* ***  All I can say is...
Never again!!  If I must drive in rain or hail, or sleet, or snow...
(yeah.. chance in h*ll that'll happen in AZ...) or even 100 heat w/out an
airconditioner...  I will never miss another BFF show in my area again!!

>From: MissDa@aol.com
>Subject: i'm BEGGING, okay?
>
>one more time, i'm begging anybody who is going to a horde show to PLEASE
>PLEASE PLEASE grab me a poster!!  i have a few tapes to trade, or money to
>give you if you don't want any of my tapes... please, some kind soul, do me
>this enormous favor?? i'd do the same for you!!

I don't know if Amanda is referring to bootlegged stuff.. but she mentioned
tapes.  Now, my question is, how do I get a hold of one if I don't have any
to trade in the 1st place?

>From: liz <lizrob@mindspring.com>
>Subject: Freak
>
>Hi,
>
>>In the last few weeks, I have seen a post saying that Robert's girlfriend
>>reads the Armchair and thinks we're a bunch of freaks...
>
>...and my philosophy is this:
>
>You guys are a bunch of freaks because you read and post on the list.
>I read and post on the list.
>Therefore I must be a freak too.

I was thinking.. am I BFF obsessed?  Hmmm...  Well, as Liz put it, I read
and post here, I haven't listend to anything except BFF ST and WAEA for the
past month and a half or so...  I would do almost anything to see them in
concert (and even get a chance to meet them), I think they are the best
musicians to grace God's Green Earth (that I know of.. there may be better
(doubtful?)  but I haven't heard anyone better), they are the best
songwriters, I believe they are Gods of the music world, I talk about them
an awful lot...  The evidence is overwhelming.  I must be a freak.

>Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 12:14:22 +1000
>From: Coleambally Central School Library <d4348cn1@ozemail.com.au>

>I've never seen any posters of them ever.  Yes i am a sorry soul.

I haven't either....

>sort of adopted it as a special text, much like this mailing list adopted the
>text of "Brick" as our religious text-- complete with holy wars over exactly
>what it meant.

Ok.. I love this song more and more each time I hear it.  Funny... I love
all the BFF songs more and more the more I hear them...

>What is a helmet head????? / hat ???

good question....

>HBO is rerunning the second Reverb episode featuring Ben Folds Five on late
>night Wednesday/technically-early-morning Thursday (August 6, but really
>August 7) at 4:15 A.M. Eastern time.

did anybody catch this that they might help a poor person like me who has
not HBO?

Ok.. I guess that is enough for one day...  Some other days I will tell you
the joys of BFF...  (and there are many...)  Doesn't their music just get
you *right there*?  Like their chords, the bass line, when the piano kicks
in... their music is just incredibly pleasing to the ear.  It is hard to
listen to the radio now w/o comparing.  Nothing compares.

You guys can email me individually if you can answer my questions or just
want to chat.  I love emailing people, and people who love BFF are just so
great...

Ok. I really will stop here.
Stacy
I feel like a quote out of context...