Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 15:07:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: Helmet Hat

	I, for one and for once, do NOT think that the words "helmet hat"
are a sexual reference. Considering how the first part of the song is
constantly refering to construction and buildings, I think Ben was trying
to make a metaphor for himself being a construction worker. What he meant
by that is beyond me, 'cause my puny little brain don't like to work that
hard. Now, if you'll excuse me.... KATE LIKES US!! JOYGASM, PT. #2!!!!!!!!
;)

ERIC
	"Huge, muscular men are always one of three things: unmercifully
stupid, taken, or gay."
						Kei, from Dirty Pair

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 97 01:41:55 UT
From: "Melissa :) " <tcbcdisc@msn.com>
Subject: Back from Chicago -- One Happy Dwarf

Hey, all you people who love BFF!!  :)

I got back from Chicago last nite, and would've posted, but I had a tummy ache
[now's the time to say "poor baby!" :)]!!  Anyhoo, it was great fun at HORDE!
I'm so sorry I couldn't meet up w/ y`all -- I didn't get any of the e-mails
until today :(  well, let me start w/ my digest :)...

01... HORDE was great!!!!  I was thrilled to be in the presence of the fab 3
[well, temporarily fab 7 :)]!!!  It was so awesome b/c it was probably the
only 2nd stage performance that people were RUSHING to go see!  Did any of you
HORDE-goers see Leftover Salmon?  If you liked `em, mail me -- we can have a
long discussion ;)

02... More HORDE facts:

~ I got to talk to John Medeski [Medeski, Martin and Wood] a bit, while he was
waiting for BFF to come on stage!  I was so excited that he liked BFF!!!

~ Got a CD, entitled "Three Wishes" by Shannon Worrell -- DAMN GOOD!!  I'm
listening to it as I type -- she's awesomely talented!  Oh, PS for all you DMB
fans, Dave does back-ups on the CD [and LeRoi plays sax on one of the
songs!]!!  Oh, I'm sorry for the lack of BFF content :(  Forgive me :(

~ Back to BFFcontent: I really loved the little string quartet!  It added a
lot to the music!  Being a former violinist myself, I was very impressed w/
the mixing of the music!  A very rich sound!!

~ Seeing BFF for the first time was amazing!  I was so thrilled to see them
right in front of me, jammin' on those instruments of theirs!!!  It was
unreal!!!  Those of you seeing BFF in the upcoming weeks will have an awesome
time, and those of you seeing BFF for the first time will come out in awe!!

03... We should call ourselves Friendly*, Intellectual, Awesome People for
having the best taste in music!!

04... *This is definitely a friendly list -- I got a whole bunch o' e-mail
tellin' me about meetin' up for HORDE and I was so excited!  You should've
seen my face light up w/ glee! :P  But, seriously, I really do appreciate the
sweetness of all of you!!!

07... I'll ask this question again since it might not have been answered [I
skimmed through the digests since I didn't have too much time this mornin']...
is there an IRC channel for BFF? :)

06... Well, that's it for now -- thanks for listening!! :)

~Melissa~
and if nothing can be done, we'll make the best of what's around ~djm~
i'm your nightmare, little man!!!  ~bf~

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 18:08:23 -0400
From: rebelgrrrl@juno.com (rachelle r house)
Subject: Horde at vernon downs

wow, i am so tired. it was a great show all around neil young ROCKED as
did Primus and toad the wet sprocket and everyone else. impressed i am,
btu mostly by our boys of BF5.  i was surprised by the strong following
in my local area.  i had to leave primus early to haul over and get in
the front to see 'em, and of course, it was worth it.  the set list to
the best of my memory was
one angry dwarf
?can't remember i was too excited and dancing my brains out
song for the dumped
an instrumental interlude kind of a medley of a few songs
philosophy

it seems like there was one more in there somewhere but i dunno it's kind
of blur from the excitement. the string quartet was awesome.  and ben was
great and full of energy jumpin on the piano keys in song for the dumped.
i threw a rubber duckie -- one that squeaks-- for them but some roadie
took it away.poo. i hope they got it later. :/
 wish i could of met them, oh well, maybe next time.  yay! yay! well
that's it for now

- --rachelle rae
"You should be with us, feeling like we do, like you love to; but never
will...again." --perry farrell

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 00:26:41 +0100
From: paul.leung@virgin.net (paul.leung@virgin.net)
Subject: Lyrics, e.g. helmet hat

Lyrics are often drowned out or distorted in the first album, (and the
second) and, seeing as we have no lyric sheet, can be soooo ambiguous.
Anyway, I think that Mr. Folds in this case is referring to a hard hat
worn on building sites, which caused him to be laughed at, while he was
building a high-rise building. Talking of sexual references, it's a
wonder how the second album avoided the "PARENTAL GUIDANCE, EXPLICIT
LYRICS" sticker, what with Song for the Dumped.
Also, helmet hat might not make sense in real life, but hard hat
doesn't  have enough syllables, which reminds me of the Rosemary and
Cameron. ok, so they don't intersect, but a) he didn't say they did, and
b) rosemary and columbia has A1) to many syllables and B1) doesn't rhyme
with Bhavagad gita. So there.
One last thing: what is it in the Underground intro? show me the mosh
pit makes the most sense, but marsh pan seems to be more popular.

Thanks people, Anthony

P.S. I think Ether showed up at Sheperd's Bush- can't be sure. Whoever
they were, I don't think that they were good.