Issue #437 - August 11, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Monday, August 11 1997    Volume 01 : Number 437

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    3 bands +1BF5-free comment
    ba ba ba ba ba....
    ben folds on the radio and other things
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #436
    bands BF5 should tour with....
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #436
    Re: Umbrellas and helmets
    wowee geezers
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #436
    good bands w/ ben folds five......
    old armchairs
    Re: same at the back, except at the side
    OTHER bands
    bootlegs?
    For those who might want to know...
    Vocals of Fanny Packs
    not in Philly! :(
    Ben v. Tori
    Rock Love Magazine
    regatta fun and ben folds flippage
    Re: launch cd rom

Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 22:49:13 +0100
From: kareng@ici.net (karen gannon)
Subject: 3 bands +1BF5-free comment

If I could kidnap three bands (in addition to BF5,though I think Darren
might put up a tough fight) to play with BF5, I'd have to illegally detain
The Rentals, Spacehog and Phish. Just imagine...BF5 playing with 2 pianos,
the greatest guitarist ever, and to top it off, a vacuum-player.
- --Josh

P.S. Sorry to be such an arse, but I'm trying to find musicians in the
Providence/SE Mass area to form a band. Specifically, violin/cello or
really good keys (i.e., you can almost play Retarded at 1/3 Benspeed)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 23:32:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Excus7teen@aol.com
Subject: ba ba ba ba ba....

i know everyone will be bitching about people doing this in a few days but
what the hell...heres my three bands i want to see BFF play with-

sleater-kinney
veruca salt
magic dirt

(that would be a pretty weird show now that i think about it)
ohwell ta ta

"are you there God? it's me margaret. and i'm so scared God, how can i stop
it? maybe i try to hard. maybe i go to far. maybe there's something wrong..."
mr t experience

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 23:42:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jessica237@aol.com
Subject: ben folds on the radio and other things

hiya! wow--i haven't posted to the armchair since it got changed over to this
server thingie. anyways...got a couple of things to say:
1. '1 angry dwarfs and 200 solemn faces' is getting MAJOR airplay round here
in new jersey. the local radio station has been playing it down here at the
jersey shore since the end of june, but it must be getting lots of requests
now because they play it lots!! i heard it four times in two days last
weekend alone...
2. my sister just came home from a trip to canada and buffalo and claims she
said ben folds five on a TV show called 'Canada AM' or something like that.
she said that she thinks they played 'battle of who could care less' but she
wasn't positive. i'm not sure if i believe her because she always makes fun
of my ben folds five obsession, so i thought i'd ask around here to see if
anyone else saw it...
3. i am pissed off. ben folds five is playing horde two dates before the one
at the pnc bank arts center in homdel, nj. but, of course, they are not
playing here!! they will be in new york and can't even stick around long
enough to make it to a place 15 minutes from my house. i am extremely upset!
i travel to see them, they should travel to see my, too, dammit! just
kidding...just taking out my frustrations...i wanted to see them for a third
time. but i could never demand anything from the boys...

just thought i'd add something interesting to the armchair--i have to try to
post more often...sorry for the long post.
- --jess

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 23:42:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Scoota97@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #436

Hey Y'all,
    Just got back from the Horde show (8/9) and I must say.....BFF Rocks!!
(but you all know that anyway) the set was as follows:

- -String intro
- -One angry dwarf
- -Fair
- -Song for the dumped
- -Kate
- -Theme from Dr. Pyser
- -Philosophy
- -Strings out

Before their set, the guys were hanging out next to the stage, drinking their
bottled water, and chatting with some of the people next to the gate...very
cool!! The only negative about the concert (besides the length of course) was
a downpour during the BFF set (how dare it rain while the boys are playing!!
:) anyway, I happened to get an "ok" sounding tape of the set (bass heavy
from standing next to the speakers, oh well, live and learn) so if anyone is
interested in a copy just give me a shout.

see ya later

- -scott

"how could you leave me here with..... Uncle Walter???"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 23:48:17 -0400
From: Andrea Merrifield <hapfield@mix-net.net>
Subject: bands BF5 should tour with....

this is my first post in prolly like 6-8 months . it's weird to get back in
the loop again , anyway. bands i'd like to see ben folds five tour with :

Pee Shy - anyone who likes BF5 (or TMBG) will LOVE pee shy
Moxy Fruvous
Smoking Popes
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Ruth Ruth

please drop me a line if you agree with any of those , cuz i don't read the
MA much......
						thanx
							-jon-

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 00:34:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: GANZLINA@aol.com

I have been on the Arnchair for a long time...I've seen BFF 4 times...drove 6
hrs once to see them....The ultimate band to play with them would be Squirrel
Nut Zippers..also from Chapel Hill I might add!!!

Lina

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 01:03:23 -0700
From: jessmiester@juno.com (Jessica A Lemley)
Subject: Re: Umbrellas and helmets

To get a complete lineup of bumbershoot go
here:http://www.bumbershoot.org/home.html

A partial lineup for you:
On Friday:
Foo Fighters
L7
Los Lobos

On Saturday:
Built To Spill
Sonic Youth
Shawn Colvin
Beck
Tuatara
Cake
Engine 54
Reel Big Fish

On Sunday:
Wilco
Geggy Tah
Subminute Radio
MxPx
Super Delux
Soul Coughing

On Monday:
Joan Osbourne
David Byrne
Blues Traveler
Skatalites
Dog's Eye View
Sky Cries Mary

Anyways--these are the bands i want to see. Boy, it would just make my
year if our boys from BFF were there.

Jessie
- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Look Ma--I'm Online--<www2.netcom.com/~dhill4/homepage.html>
"Take a break Driver8, Driver8 take a break
We can reach our destination, but we're still a ways away."
- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 04:13:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jupofcoe@aol.com
Subject: wowee geezers

Hi guys!
Well, I'm happy to announce that this is my very first post!  Do ta
dooooo!!!!! (take a picture mom!)  Anyway, I've been reading for awhile now
and have grown very fond of our family along the way.  But, alas, I began
feeling a bit left out.  So here I am.
First of all, I'd like to say I'm a sad girl in Texas without the funds and
means to see BF5 live.  However, in a very, very, very short time I will be
moving to Portland, OR.  Any fans near there?  I'd love to talk to anyone
anywhere.  I welcome all nice e-mails from anyone!  Also, like another
requested not long ago, I, too would love a poster!  I'm willing to bargain
for it!
That's certainly enough for now.  Thanks for listening....
Laura

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 09:44:22 -0500
From: john_oc@juno.com

Melissa said that she would like to see BF5 play along side with Shannon
Worrell, when in fact they already did.  When I say BF5 in Cincinnati
over a month or two ago the opener was Shannon Worrell's band, September
67.  They were quite good, and I bought the CD a week later.  It is a
good album.

John Boyer
WOBN-FM 101.5 the ROCK
Asst. Music Director, Triple A Dir. and Research Dir.
Email: John_OC@juno.com   Phone: (614) 823-2969
Westerville, Ohio(Just north of Columbus)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 13:09:28 -0700
From: aplauri@juno.com (Philip J. L.)
Subject: good bands w/ ben folds five......

well i really like the idea of bff touring with rem or radiohead.  there
sounds arent erxactly similar but hey do  have some coommomn
features.........  i really do like the idea of TMBG though......  rem
and radiohead are both great bands and  have not been touring much in the
last couple years, so it would be nice to see them w/ a really great new
band.......

philip

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 12:25:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: MissDa@aol.com
Subject: old armchairs

weird.... am i the only one who just got armchairs #401, #400, #410, and
#409?

amanda

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 17:43:09 +0100
From: "john.holloway" <john.holloway@which.net>
Subject: Re: same at the back, except at the side

> so yeah, im reading my armchair and am overcome by the number of
> explanations (sp?) people want/need about songs...nothing wrong with
> that at all...

Yeah, well if you wanna hear/write/meet more theories about what BFF songs
mean then mosey on over to Ben and His Folding Five at
http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/lot/5009 . There is a forum where BFF
fans basically hang and discuss implausible song meanings... kinda unedited
Magical Armchair if I could be so bold...

Cheers

Dave
dave-holloway@usa.net

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 10:38:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Aziza Tullia <depst@proaxis.com>
Subject: OTHER bands

>Just curious,what other bands do people on the list think are completely
>different/abnormal?

Sleater-Kinney, Violent Femmes, the Flaming Lips, the Pixies. Speaking of
which, if anyone on this list has even heard of Sleater-Kinney or likes the
Lips, PLEASE email me!

- -Jessie

- ------------------
"Perhaps I'm just smoking crack, but they look like they could be brothers."
- -Courtney Knopf

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/2605/

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 11:44:53 -0600
From: Paul Flatt <pflatt@flash.net>
Subject: bootlegs?

Hello!!

I am going to ask again because no one answers this burning question I
have...  How can I go about getting some recordings of BFF at concerts??

Thanks,
Stacy

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 15:21:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: For those who might want to know...

	There is a pic of me in existance on the Web. Go to:
          http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pschlenk/vamp.html
I'm the one in the back row with the green sweatshirt on. You know, the
cute one. ;) Laters!

ERIC (who is secretly hoping to start a new trend and get to actually SEE
all the rest of the BFF obessesed people out there!)

P.S. Uhh, just so this has an actual place on the list, KATE LIKES US!!!!!
JOYGASM 3, THE RETURN OF THE JOYGASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
	"Bring a stick to a fist fight. Bring a knife to a stick fight.
Bring a gun to a knife fight. Stay out of gunfights."
					Overstreet's First Law of Tactics

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 97 16:02:35 PDT
From: evlbison <evlbison@neo.lrun.com>
Subject: Vocals of Fanny Packs

Well, to the person who asked about the singer on Fanny Packs,
it was REALLY all three of them doing different things at
different times. But, Darren kinda took the lead in that
track. Ben refers to him as "D" so I assume that he was
talking to Darren. Call me crazy.

Later,
Steve

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 10:53:15 -0500
From: Grace Hill <grace@itrc.dciu.k12.pa.us>
Subject: not in Philly! :(

"I saw that someone asked if BFF was coming to Philly.  They aren't
playing in Philly, but HORDE will be at the Blockbuster Entertainment
Center in Camden, NJ at the end of this month." wrote one Hilarie
Surrena...

BUT BF5 aren't going to be there! Sorry, fellow Phillians, maybe next
time :(

N. Brie Rifka

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 17:27:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: LindaNikon@aol.com
Subject: Ben v. Tori

Apples and Oranges. Ben seems to be a technically more proficient pianist,
but that's where the comparison should end. We are talking about strikingly
different types of music. The type of music Tori is playing doesn't require
skills used by Ben. Is she only playing what she can, or is she playing what
she wants? Who knows. I really like Tori Amos, for the most part.

Although, admittedly, I like Ben better. : )

L.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 23:11:12 +0100
From: paulmay@bigfoot.com (Paul May)
Subject: Rock Love Magazine

Hi Everyone

I just bought June's edition of Rock Love Magazine, with Ben Folds Five on
the cover.  ITS COOL !!!!!!!
Inside there's a great 3 page interview with the band, and some photos. If
you can get this magazine you should! Anyway, that's my two cents

As ever The People on the Armchair page is open for business, so if you want
a profile,  just drop me a line with your details and (if you like) the
ugliest photo of yourself you can find.

Seeya

Paul

_______________________________
Visit the Magical Armchair Wall 'o Shame:
www.iol.ie/~may
_______________________________

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 18:45:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Fretbored7@aol.com
Subject: regatta fun and ben folds flippage

well, it happened... i officially made a fool of myself in the name of ben
folds five. last night, i went to a fireworks show here in pittsburgh, and
saw someone in a bff t shirt.  believe me, this does not happen often.  i
therefore proceeded to flip out, scream "oh my god, there's a kid in a ben
folds five tshirt!"  so if it was you i was screaming about (i lost you in
the crowd) i apologize for scaring you and i promise that i will do no harm.
 and by the way, you were kinda attractive ;)  well, just wanted to share a
story, sorry for wasting your time.

peace,
*jackie*

"don't let the man get you down." ~lucas, empire records

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 19:35:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Scoota97@aol.com
Subject: Re: launch cd rom

just a note of interest.... the latest issue of the "launch" cd rom (#14 with
Sarah McLachlan on the cover) has a section devoted to BFF!! it shows a
performance of one angry dwarf in Tempe,AZ and has a bunch of interviews with
the guys. (Darren is wicked funny!!)  If you don't know what "launch"
is...it's a cd rom that you can pick up at any good computer store (or at
some bookstores as well) and it is devoted to music related subjects, clips
of songs, quicktime movies etc....
you can pick it up for about ten bucks ( well worth it after spending a buck
a minute to see them at horde!! :)

later

- -scott