Issue #439 - August 13, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Wednesday, August 13 1997   Volume 01 : Number 439

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    philosophy
    Saratoga Springs, NY - HORDE
    bff m2 video extravaganza
    Re: Answers to Tour Questions
    HORDE at SPAC
    Bands to play with BF5
    No show in the south
    To ALL Aussie Armchairians
    NY set list correction
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #415
    Aussie Interview..
    MTV's week in rock
    fanny pack song
    Piano Parts
    Launch Cd
    BFF Pages
    Trades?

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 17:08:12 -0600
From: Paul Flatt <pflatt@flash.net>
Subject: philosophy

Hi guys, I am a bit behind in my Archairs, but I'm catchign up.  I just
wanted to add in my 2 cents about this song.  The 1st time I heard it, it
really hit me.. this music, the lyrics.. just beautiful.  I love the intro
on the piano.  It really shows off Ben's piano playing... although
everything he does shows that off...  Ok.. Lyrics.. I didn't quite
understand all the words for a while, but I seemed to get the gist that he
had this idea of where he was going, and others just didn't understand.
So, now that I know the rest of the words, I do think it is about the
skyscraper analagy with Ben's music.  I particually love the line that goes
something like "I pushed you cuz I loved you guys and didn't realize you
weren't having fun.  You went up the stairs and I told you to fly and your
flapping your arms starting to cry that its too high, no too high."
Something like that.  I can't recall it off the top of my brain.  I love
that line.  Other interpretaions have bee.. interesting!  =-)  And thats
another thin I love about BFF...  I love thinking about what the songs
might mean, and discussing it with others.

Stacy
I feel like a quote out of context...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 21:17:49 EDT
From: sandishortcake@juno.com
Subject: Saratoga Springs, NY - HORDE

It was their 2nd to last show on the HORDE tour and shewwwww, they were
great!  (Dare I claim they were any less?)  I was exhausted from a long
and shitty drive, so I don't remember the exact set list, although I'm
sure someone will post it, but they played:  Dwarf, Dumped, Smoke, Dr.
Pyser, Philosophy, and Fair.  They only got to play for exactly 26
minutes, which was one minute over what they were scheduled to play, so I
was thrilled to be treated to that extra minute...Woo-hoo.  Here's the
major disappointment, they did NOT play KATE!  If a song had to be cut
because of the time factor, it should DEFINITELY not have been Kate!
Ahhhh, such is life.

All in all, my trip out to the great state of New York was an eye-opening
and potentially life threatening experience...but BF5 made it all worth
the hassle.  I think Queen sums up my trip best, "When you're feeling
down and your resistance is low, light another cigarette <and watch BF5>
and let yourself go.  This is YOUR life..."  After a horrible day of
driving and being robbed, I would have to say that once they took the
stage and while they were playing, all was well.  Thanks for cheering me
up you guys!

Sandi

"Yes I wish that for just one time, you could stand inside my shoes,
you'd know what a
drag it is to see you."  -Dylan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 21:44:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: joshu@umr.edu
Subject: bff m2 video extravaganza

All of the BF5 videos I know of were played on M2 in a row a few nights
ago.  Ummm for all I know someone already posted about this... but I've
been away from my email, at a relative's, watching their satellite TV
which had M2... among other cool things on M2 I saw, in a row:

Uncle Walter
Underground
One Angry Dwarf
Battle of Who ...

Not necessarily in that order...
Anyhoo, I was very pleased with M2 after this.  Later I saw One Angry
Dwarf 2 or 3 more times on M2, throughout a 3 day period of much bored TV
watching.  So that's that.

Josh

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 22:44:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: The Computer GEEK! <jgore@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Answers to Tour Questions

>Hilarie mentioned that HORDE was coming to Philadelphia at the end of the
>month. Unfortunately, Ben Folds Five won't be at that show - the last
>HORDE they do is Virginia Beach on August 13th.

I just heard on the RUST list that the VA Beach show was cancelled.
"Everybody's got a handful of fear
 But tomorrow it may only be a souvenir
 Of the way it was 'til it went away."
 Paul McCartney "Souvenir"
############jason##############################
d.p.w. website http://nrvalley.com/dpw
Maximum Rock And Roll http://www.runet.edu/~jgore

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 22:53:05 -0400
From: "Fred or Sarah" <fantonan@bcn.net>
Subject: HORDE at SPAC

Well folks..the tenth has come and gone, unfortunately. It was pure
heaven...for that twenty five minutes or so. I got a setlist from the
roadie who reminds me of a Beatle, so I was like, yay! They played:
Intro- Philoscapades
Dwarf
Fair
Dumped
Pyser
Philosphy
Outro..not necessarily in that order. I hung around after their set and
they finally made they're appearance..got some autographs and a cigar from
Robert, needless to say that puppy will never be smoked. :) I also got
pics, I just hope they turn out well...I didn't meet anyone from this
though, and I was kind of disappointed, but c'est la vie, perhaps another
time. Ciao for now!

Sarah :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 23:33:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: TScarmeas@aol.com
Subject: Bands to play with BF5

I was just thinking that no one really mentioned Pavement or Sebadoh as bands
that could play with BF5. Sebadoh is great live, and I think would compliment
BF5 in a weird but cool sorta way. Pavement is so quirky and fun, I just
think it would be funny to see them play together. I just can't wait to see
the band play, whether alone, or with another group.
Tina

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 01:52:57 -0000
From: "idaho" <idaho@appstate.campus.mci.net>
Subject: No show in the south

So HOARDE isn't coming to the southeast---at least not with BFF in tow.  I
was encouraged by someone's comment that since they aren't playing
____________ (fill in your underpriviledged area) that they may play a full
show here.  I'm just hanging out in NC, waiting for the day.  Caught em in
March, but I need more.  If anyone finds anything concrete about shows in
the Southeast, please post.

Thanks ya'll

Oh yeah.  I don't really like the practice of ending posts with song lyrics
or quotes, but since the trend doesn't seem to be becoming less common on
the Armchair, I'll join in.
This one's too good

"Practice practice makes perfect, perfect is a fault and fault lines
change"
	---some big name band from Athens, GA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:35:20 +0800 (WST)
From: Jodie Poole <jpoole@tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
Subject: To ALL Aussie Armchairians

Hi everyone!
	Just heard the best news, I just hope this message gets out to you
all in time.
	Michael Tunn is going to do an interview with Ben tonight on the
Request Fest on Triple J!!!  I'm going to tape this interview, so if
anyone out there is interested in doing a trade (for posters, tapes,
videos.... what the hell, anything BFF related!) drop me a line and I'll
let you know how long it goes for etc...

Catcha!
Jodie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 06:58:03 EDT
From: sandishortcake@juno.com
Subject: NY set list correction

Okay, at the Saratoga Springs show they didn't play Smoke...for some
reason I thought they did, but I was mistaken now that I think about it.

Sandi

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 00:04:01 +1000
From: Sarah <titania@cybergal.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #415

Hi,

What has happened to Magical Armchair??? I haven't received one for 2 weeks... I miss it :{:{:{:{  Please.... I need a dose.....

Yours in sadness,

Sarah

<color><param>ffff,0000,ffffSarah ;p

willowblossom@hotmail.com

titania@cybergal.com

"Behold the turtle. He makes progress

only when he sticks his neck out."

</color>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 21:01:40 +0800 (WST)
From: Jodie Poole <jpoole@tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
Subject: Aussie Interview..

Well folks, just wanted to post about the interview that was on Triple J,
the Australian national youth radio station about half an hour ago.  I
taped the interview as promised, and I must say it was rather
interesting...

The same old questions were obviously asked - "Is it hard to move a piano
around" yerda, yerda, yerda....
For the people in North Carolina: Tunny (the radio guy) asked "Do you miss
North Carolina" and Ben said
"Yeah, I do, I'd like to be home more but I can't so.. so there you have
it.." so he does miss you all back home!
Then, Ben said that after touring, Robert and Darren are going to go home
for a month while Ben will "go and make an instrumental record in
Indiana".  He said that he thinks it will come out on a Relativity or a
Sony label and he's gonna work on it with the guy that produced the Ben
Folds Five records.  He said "its kind of like a little side project we're
calling Fear of Pop" - any info on this Frank?
And further evidence of the talent that Ben has:
Tunny: Will you write that while you're on the road?
Ben:   Yeah, some.. I mean i have ideas in my head, but being
       instrumental...you know we'll have a month to work on it.  I'll
       be able to knock that stuff out as we go along.
Tunny: So you're like that?  You just...you can just knock it out?
Ben:   Oh yeah.

Ben said that they want to work on a new BFF album at the beginning of
next year.  Tunny asked him who his favourite band was of the one's he's
toured with and Ben said Beck was definately one of his favourites, but he
has never talked to him yet.  Tunny said "I dont think he really talks to
anyone though - he's renound for that!"
and Ben said "yeah, well, I think he does.  He seems like a friendly guy
but he's just so sought after right now and I know there's times that I
just don't want anyone, you know, talking to me and I know that he's had,
like, twenty times as much attention in the last year and he's probably
going crazy so you know, maybe I'll go up to him and say `Hey I'm Ben, I
just wanted to say Hello' or something like that but you know I've talked
to Neil some.  Neil Young and you know, he's a little more approachable
because he's in a different phase in his career."  Tunny said "he's been
there done that".  Ben: "Yeah! He doesn't care.  He doesn't give a shit
about anything!"

Well my fellow Armchairians, just wanted to share that piece of BFF
information with you all.
Catcha!
Jodie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 09:54:27 -0600
From: Tina Archer <EPA2324@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: MTV's week in rock

I can't believe no one has posted anything on this subject yet, so I feel it is
my duty to inform everyone what other bands think of BFF.  MTV was at
the Chicago HORDE stop and taped interviews with all the bands. [[ Side
note:  I was there and saw Kurt Loder, the big dork.  My friend Sandi
tapped him on the shoulder and he ignored her. ]] Anyway, they were
interviewing Kula Shakur, this really cool band from England, I recommend
checking them out.  Well, I think it was the bass player who was talking
and he said they met this really cool chap named Ben Flaps who played in
this band Ben Five Flaps.  It was fricking hilarious, but they did think Ben
was a cool chap!!!   Then they interviewed Darren (way cool sunglasses)
and he talked about how diverse the show was this year.  Robert just
stood there and looked bored, hee, hee.  Then they showed a few clips
of Ben doing a handstand on his piano bench and the boys jamming.  The
music dubbed over during the beginning of the Primus interview was
"Battle of Who Could Care Less", even though they didn't play it  : =((  It
was cool how all the kids were pogoing to Primus and the music was
BOWCCL.  Anyway, that's all if anyone cares.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 12:24:44 -0400
From: "Daniel F. Hayes" <hayesdf@erols.com>
Subject: fanny pack song

All right,
 I saw Ben at the 9:30 club in Washington, D.C. and of couse they
rocked  especially on Song for the Dumped but I have a question for
anyone who knows.  What is the Fanny Pack Song? Ben mentioned it a few
times and some guy from Philly next to me kept screaming it.  If anyone
can fill me in cause I felt pretty out of it.  The Gerswin that he has
in Philosophy is insanly hard to play but I think i've mastered it.
	Has anyone ever seen Geggy Tah live cause I think that they could be
alright.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:48:58 -0400
From: "John E. Fahey" <jfahey@cyberportal.net>
Subject: Piano Parts

As many of you probably know, most band fan pages contain guitar tabs,
however I've had trouble finding piano parts for BFF. If they're
available on the 'net I'd appreciate it if someone would tell me where
to find them. Or, if someone knows where they could be purchased, that
would be appreciated as well.
Thanx!

- -John

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 11:24:13 -0700
From: jessmiester@juno.com (Jessica A Lemley)
Subject: Launch Cd

I just got a copy of the new Launch CD-Rom in the mail, and wow!  Our
boys were so funny as usual.  Robert was wearing those awsome shoes from
the One Angry Dwarf vid.  I think I've fallen in love with Darren Jessee.
 Just wanted you all to know..

- --Jessie
- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Look Ma--I'm Online--<www2.netcom.com/~dhill4/homepage.html>
"Take a break Driver8, Driver8 take a break
We can reach our destination, but we're still a ways away."
- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 16:46:27 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: BFF Pages

THIS MESSAGE IS DIRECTED AT THOSE RUNNING BEN FOLDS FIVE
PAGES.

I have linked 12 pages to my site. If I have left you out, E-mail me and I'll be
happy to put ya on there. FYI, there are some links I have tried to access
and if they don't respond I will LEAVE THEM OFF until your provider works
out whatever is keeping people from accessing them.

http://members.tripod.com/~elyons/ben_index.htm

The site gets better each week. Hopefully, and I say that with great
optimism, the site will be fully functional in a couple weeks. . .tops!

Later. Erik.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 18:39:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: MasterAEPi@aol.com
Subject: Trades?

If anyone has the following shows please contact me!
only if they are good quality !  ALL DMB & DAVE & TIM
thanks

Can ANYONE MAKE ME A COMPILATION -GREAT SOUND TAPE WITH THE FOLLOWING SONGS
ON THEM????THANKS

Song "2001"
1. 3/1/93 chapel hill
2. 3/17/93 floodzone
3. 3/27/93 springfest

Song "Route 2"
1. 12/11/93 williams college

Song "Stairway to heaven"
1. 10/5/94 club soda
2. 11/7/94 irving plaza

Song "Tree Of Life"
1. 5/27/93

Please e-mail me asap!
thanks

JUST Check out my WEBSITES! it will be worth your time!

George Ackerman

 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/MasterAEPi/index4.html">MasterAEPi's Link Pag
e</A>
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/MasterAEPi/index3.html">MasterAEPi's Video Ho
me Page</A>
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/MasterAEPi/index2.html">MasterAEPi's Bootleg
Tape list</A>
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/MasterAEPi/index.html">MasterAEPi's Home Page
</A>
 <A HREF="http://www.tapetrading.com/lists/m/a/masteraepi@aol.com.html">George
 Ackerman's Tape List</A>

ALSO Looking For

Know of any Soul Coughing Squirrel Nut Zippers, Cake,  DMB, ben folds 5 ,
toadies, weezer, or alice in chains, Seven Mary Three?

Looking for Bootlegs, digests and fan clubs???

how would i get their autographs, bootleg tapes, and videos ?

   thanks
   george

  MasterAEPi@Aol.com

  MasterAEPi's Home Page