Issue #440 - August 14, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Thursday, August 14 1997   Volume 01 : Number 440

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Fanny Pack song
    Darren is too kewl!
    Howdy everyone...
    To Sydney Armchairites
    Re: Answers to tour questions
    Fanny Pack Song
    list poll update

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 22:41:02 +0000
From: Stevie Berryman <gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: Fanny Pack song

The fanny pack song is a b-side on the BWCCL single.  It is about
roadies.  They're joking around, poking fun at how the roadies walk
around with they're fanny packs full of tools, duct tape, cords, and the
way these guys are with the equipment.  This song is about roadies, cord
and mic guys, not just people who wear fanny packs.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 23:23:38 +0100
From: Erika Snell <esnell@gswa.com>
Subject: Darren is too kewl!

Hey all,
	I'm new to this whole armchair affair, but not to BFF.   I just
thought I'd try to post something.
	When the Horde Fest was here in Columbus, OH and BFF was signing
autographs Darren happened to mention that he thought my t-shirt was really
cool.  I was totally taken a back because that was like such a big deal to
me.  (after all, he is pretty hot!--especially last year at Lollapalooza)
The shirt has since then become a favorite after making its debut at the
Horde Fest.
	Anywho, I just thought I'd add to the armchair!  Thanx
Erika

~~~~~~why do they call it a television set if you only get one?~~~~~~~~

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 23:58:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: IHSEagle@aol.com
Subject: Howdy everyone...

Hi all, my name's Devin, first time writing on the list.  Blah blah blah, you
know the story.

Anyway, something neat that I'd like to share was that I found the first
reference to the Ben Folds Five outside of the internet (and a freak sighting
of them on MTV) was in the newspaper a few days ago.  No one I know listens
to the BF5 (despite my constant attempts to convince them to), and they were
the only band in the Horde tour ignored by the Phoenix radio stations.
 Anyway...  They stupid newspapers were doing a report on language (another
article was on "Spanglish") and they were talking about the popularity of the
word "cool", and they said that it could be used about Bob Dylan by one
generation and the Ben Folds Five by another.  Needless to say, I was
thrilled...

Three bands to play with the Ben Folds 5:

Counting Crows
Matchbox 20
Wallflowers

Well, anyway, glad to be aboard, thanks for listening to me ramble!

Dragonknight

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 22:08:16 PDT
From: "Karen Tran" <pink_fly@hotmail.com>
Subject: To Sydney Armchairites

Hi.
This is to all Armchairians in Sydney:
My friend told me today that she saw a poster that said Ben Folds Five
were playing at Club Mac and it was under 16's and it was on Friday
August the 8th. Was this true??? Please someone help me!!!
Thanks.
Karen

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:00:02 +0100
From: "john.holloway" <john.holloway@which.net>
Subject: Re: Answers to tour questions

OK, I know that this sort of info is readily available from various sources
but all seem to give varying info so I thought I'd go straight to the
horses mouth. If you'll pardon the comparison.

Any strength to the rumour that our beloved three will be playing the UK
soon? Man oh man I read the 'chair and all about your ace gigs and pine to
myself as people forget that we're fans too....

Dave

"there's no such thing as adventure, there's no such thing as romance.
There's only trouble and desire." Hal Hartley: Simple Men

Ben and His Folding Five - http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/lot/5009
dave-holloway@usa.net

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:23:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hilarie Surrena <walflowr@Op.Net>

Hi,
	I just saw a thing about the Fanny pack song on the digest.  The
song can be found on the BOWCCL free import Cd along with "Hava Nagila" and
"BOWCCL."  They were available a few months ago with coupons off one of the
web pages.  I got both of them at Repo Records outside Philly.  They were
obviously pretty popular because they only had 3 left by the time I went.
The other import of BOWCCL includes "Champagne Supernova" and the "Theme
from Dr. Physer."
	I think that Sandi asked Ben a few months ago if he would play it,
but I think they just recorded it for fun.  It's basically a rap song and
is really funny.
							Hil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 17:11:50 -0500
From: Clotho@webtv.net (unlucky leprechaun)
Subject: list poll update

things are going okay.  only 20 or so people have participated, and
things are close for the most part.  if you haven't sent in your 5
favorite bands, do so.  there are 1000+ people on this list.  send
them!! don't make me use capital letters!

the rules again:
1. your five favorite bands (excluding bff) in descending order (meaning
1 is most favorite, 2 is second, etc.)
2. send them to this address, not to the list.  i send this message
using the address you're supposed to send them to, so if you can, just

come on people, vote.  if i have to open a can of whup ass, you're all
going to be sorry.

thanks to those of you who have participated.  things are close right
now so YOUR E-MAIL CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE!!
(ohmygodhe'susingcapitalletters!!)

dave

"i'll send you a picture.  it is of a man being sick." --.j 0n

"mom, romance is dead.  it was acquired in a hostile takover bid by
hallmark and disney, homogenized, and sold off piece by piece." --lisa
simpson

would you like to find a place where we can all be happy and joyful and
have a wonderful time?  too bad.  there is no such place on this plane
of existence.  you can, however, visit my site:
http://members.tripod.com/~lastpolka/index.html