Issue #441 - August 15, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Friday, August 15 1997    Volume 01 : Number 441

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    3 bands for BFF to play with
    UK and Australia dates
    Armchair, BFF, and not so BFF
    3 MORE bands to tour with
    Fanny Pack Oz style
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #440
    Shirts
    Age restrictions for Australia shows
    HORDE PICS!!!
    BF5 comparison

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 16:05:00 -0600
From: Paul Flatt <pflatt@flash.net>
Subject: 3 bands for BFF to play with

Hmm... 3 bands...  I think one would have to be Beck.  I think he is very
talented.  Radiohead would be another.  Very talented with the guitar which
is a good contrast with guitarless BFF.Hmmm... one more... How about
Hanson?  Just joking.. don't flame me.. I like Hanson, but they would not
go with BFF!!!  Um... I think I would have tp pick the Dave Mathews Band.
A lot of BFF fans seem to like DMB, plus DMB has a really neat variety of
instruments.

Just my picks..
Stacy
I feel like a quote out of context...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 22:08:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: UK and Australia dates

In answer to John Holloway's question, the band are planning a brief tour
thru the UK in the couple weeks before Christmas. Keep your eyes open for
the announcements and if you see an advert for a show, let us know!

Karen Tran asked if BFF were in Sydney, Australia on August 8th. No, they
were in Mansfield, Massachusetts on the HORDE tour. They will, however, be
in Sydney on September 25 and October 5. Check http://oeonline.com/bff/
for the Oz tour schedule.

 -fjm
                         Did you get my other letters

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 97 14:03:06 PDT
From: Beck <beckwk@pnc.com.au>
Subject: Armchair, BFF, and not so BFF

Howdy All

I'm just writing for the benifit of those people graced enough
to be living in, or near Sydney. If you are going to the Sydney
Uni show please email me and we can organise a time and place
all of us unspeakably cool Arm-chairites.

Another breif statement I'd like to make is my opinion one who I'd
like Ben to perform with. I think the loose limbed funk of Chad Smith,
the grooves of Stuard Something-or-other (bassist from Jamiroquai)
and a song co-written with Tim Rodgers (of You Am I fame) would
provide quite an interesting listening sensation.

One more thing, unrelated to BFF (I apologies profusely), has
anybody heard on the grape vine that Janes Addiction are
reforming with Flea on bass?.... I have but I'm just a foreigner
so it could be a case of chinese whispers

Thanks a plenty

Matt

"My lilly white arse is tickled pink
when I listen to the music that makes me think"
RHCP

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:04:23 -0500 (EST)
From: "Matt Moberly (part 1)" <mmoberly@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
Subject: 3 MORE bands to tour with

I wouldn't be a BF5 freak if I didn't wait until EVERYONE was doing it to
get on the bandwagon.  Oh wait, that's Hanson freaks, I had myself
confused with a jr. high school girl with acne.  But anyhoo, here are my
bands to tour with the boys:

They Might Be Giants (if everyone thinks it's such a good idea, why
hasn't it happened yet?)
Weezer -- I dunno, it just seems right
Imperial Drag (one hit wonders, "are you a boy or a girl", the clothes
are much more similar than the music)

Matt ~~~8)

p.s. I go back to Purdue university in a week... it's a shot in the dark,
but are there any other boilermakers on the armchair?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 16:12:03 +1000 (EST)
From: lotto@netspace.net.au (Rebecca Gorrell & Lance O'Brien)
Subject: Fanny Pack Oz style

Dear all,
Just a note to tell you that in Australia fanny packs are called "bum bags"
because the word "fanny" here is used to describe the female genetalia
rather than the bum.  You all may have heard this before but I just thought
I'd submit it to you.

6 weeks 'till BBF in Melbourne!!!
Cheers, Rebecca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:52:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: The Man Who Knew Too Much <jmkross@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #440

Dude, don't put Ben & Co. down with these terrible choices.  Pick somebody
you didn't just see in MTV's Top 20

> From: IHSEagle@aol.com
> Subject: Howdy everyone...
> Three bands to play with the Ben Folds 5:
>
> Counting Crows
> Matchbox 20
> Wallflowers

Three bands who would be great with the BFF are:

1) Dance Hall Crashers
2) Squirrel Nut Zippers
3) Phish

Josh

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible
is music" Aldous Huxley

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:19:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: BenFolds7@aol.com
Subject: Shirts

I was reading a post about darren saying that someones shirt was cool. When i
was at horde in Kansas City, MO. I was getting ben autograph(on my underware)
and robert sayed i had a cool shirt. THen i sayed he had cool shoes, he did
they were like multi colored ones but anyways. I think BFF are some really
cool people. And that they must like shirts.

Ricky
"i'm crazy, but i get the job done"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:17:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Age restrictions for Australia shows

Several people have written to me and to the Armchair disappointed that
many, if not all, of the Australia shows are for 18+ or 21+ ages only.

I have forwarded these comments to Ben Folds Five's management, and they
are checking into the fact that fans of Beck, Blur and other bands
touring Australia are experiencing the same letters and fan frustrations,
so you are not alone.

 -fjm
                   Here's the secret no one will ever know

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 15:17:41 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: HORDE PICS!!!

Hello!

How the hell is everyone?? I'm decent, thanks for asking.

Enough with the chit-chat, I have posted my HORDE pics. BEWARE! Not
all pics are of our beloved guys. However, there's a couple of Beck and
some other odds and ends of the backstage picnic area at Tinley Park
outside Chicago. Just 17 great pics of a great time at the HORDE festival.
Cm'on now. . .I didn't goto to HORDE JUST to see BFF, although, that is
90% of my motivation. I'd like to see BFF play with 3 bands of their choice.
It would make a concert that much better seeing musicians the guys like as
opposed to our likes. So, following that theory, Ben, Darren and Robert
each pick an artist(s) to play. Note to Robert: You need to hang around
after some of the shows. I have NO pics of you other than stage pics. Next
time I see you, mental note, let's get together for a pic, whaddaya say???
BTW, does anyone else listen to that BATTLE OF THE BANDS CD they
were giving away at HORDE??? I have like 4 of them. I have my fav songs
(# 1,5,7). Any comments?? Sorry for the short off topic. See yaaaaaaa!!!!

Homepage For The Dumped
http://members.tripod.com/~elyons/ben_index.htm

Follow links to the Main Menu.

Erik. -- The guy who wishes BFF would perform at his birthday party!!!
                                  HEY! I'll pay for the beer!!!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 19:32:21 -0400
From: percystar@cyberdrive.net (percystar)
Subject: BF5 comparison

Hola Cincos,

On the way home from an awesome Phish show (in Pittsburgh) I was introducing
my pal, Ida, to Ben Folds Five.  And although half inspired from the concert
we just saw, Ida made a pretty good realization.  Ben Folds Five sounds alot
like a mix between Phish and the Bare Naked Ladies.  Weird, but if you think
about it, very true.  Keep on the down low,

Heather

PS. Erik, I can't get to your page, but I have one and I'm not sure if its
on yours, but yours is on mine even though it doesn't work right (yet).

"Officer Friendly's little boy's got a mohawk and we know just where he's
coming from" -Ben Folds Five

visit my newly updated web site with new bands and hang out in Fiver-ville:
http://www.cyberdrive.net/~percystar/