Issue #442 - August 16, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Saturday, August 16 1997   Volume 01 : Number 442

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

    Gone to Cleveland...
    Strange things are afoot..
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #441
    promo video
    Three bands...
    Like bands for who they are, not how unpopular, Josh...
    pfunk, uncut funk, da bomb
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #441
    HORDE battle of the bands CD
    Irv. Plaza - Cleve tape tree
    BF5 new video

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 20:37:58 -0400
From: Carrie@allstarmag.com (Carrie Borzillo)
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #441

One more thing, unrelated to BFF (I apologies profusely), has
anybody heard on the grape vine that Janes Addiction are
reforming with Flea on bass?.... I have but I'm just a foreigner
so it could be a case of chinese whispers
Thanks a plenty

Matt

Hey! That's actually true... and a bit of old news here. allstar, an
online only music magazine, has run a few stories about the Jane's
Addiction reuion. Go to www.allstarmag.com. On the news page, which is
updated daily, go to previous news and scroll down to Aug. 5, then to
July 15 then July 14.  It's all about the reunion, their album, and the
tour. Also, if you want to be added to our email list, drop me a line.
(Unfortunately, our search and index function has a few problems, so
your best bet is to find the stories the way I just described.)

Carrie Borzillo
News Editor, allstar

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:46:06 -0400
From: Carrie Shanafelt <LaRubia@compuserve.com>
Subject: Gone to Cleveland...

Hey, all!  As of Monday, I will be attending CWRU in Cleveland, OH -- All
you Clevelandites-- I'd love to hear from you -- but, of course, this will
not be my address as of Sunday or so, but I will post with my new address
when I get there, and I'd love to hear from you!  If you on the list have
my address for some reason -- THROW IT AWAY!!! IT IS NULL AND VOID!!
AHAHAHAHAHA!!!
(and I think The Bogmen and Cowboy Mouth would be freaking great choices to
see with Ben and the Boys!!)
Luvyall,
Carrie

"I'm sure back home they think I've lost my mind."-BF  (like, duh!)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:07:01 -0400
From: Alden Thomas <althomas@gte.net>
Subject: Strange things are afoot..

Ok,ok,ok....
I was just browsin the BFF sites and had a really odd thing happen. See,
I usually use 'fiver' as my handle in chats and such..and I know most
people think it comes from BFF. However it comes from my favorite  book
called Watership Down and one of the charaters is named Fiver..anyway I
just found out Ben is married to Kate..which is way nifty..and Kate is
the daughter of Martin Rosen who directed the movie version of Watership
Down (which is also a cool movie..)! Anyway, I just thought it was a
little freaky but you know....

Alden (or Fiver whichever you prefer)

althomas@gte.net

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:31:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: MeandMrRay@aol.com

Howdy Cowpokes,
       Hmm, Am I doing this right? This is my first posting, and the process
is a new one. Anyways, I got an extra copy of the BF5 promo video called "A
Video Portrait". It contains about 15 minutes of footage, including the
"Battle of who could care Less" video and about 11 or 12 minutes of the guys
hanging out, and acting goofy. Its really funny, reminds me alot of my old
bandmates. So heres the deal, alot of you probably have this, but if you dont
I would trade it for some live tapes of BF5, or something like that. Just
Email me at: MeandMrRay@AOL.COM and tell me what you will trade for it. I
dont know how many of these are out there, but its pretty cool. I'll pick who
gets it by the best trade materials (I wish I could give it to all of you,
but I only have 2 copies: 1 for me, and 1 for one of you.) I been lovin'
reading all the posts, and decided to join in.

                                        Greg  (MeandMrRay@AOL.COM)

oh yeah, a quote, right? ok...."Freeze, Dont move...Youve been chosen as an
extra in the movie adaptation, of the sequel to your life"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 09:08:15 -0400
From: Anne_Lyons@BayNetworks.COM (Anne Lyons)
Subject: Three bands...

Hello the 'Chair!

The bands that I would most like to see BFF play with are:

1.) The Beatles
2.) Grateful Dead
3.) The Spice Girls

Sorry! I just couldn't resist! But seriously, wouldn't it be cool...
all that harmonizing, all that introspection, all that spice.
Hahaha! Hope y'all are laughing as much as I am right now.
Damn Spice Girls... = D

Actually, I agree with Erik L. -- I'd rather see BFF play with
three bands they like than with three bands I like... So
there you have it. More information from the uninformed.

- -Anne

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 10:47:52 -0400
From: david beck <drbeck@ibm.net>
Subject: Like bands for who they are, not how unpopular, Josh...

> Dude, don't put Ben & Co. down with these terrible choices.  Pick somebody
> you didn't just see in MTV's Top 20
>
> > Three bands to play with the Ben Folds 5:
> >
> > Counting Crows
> > Matchbox 20
> > Wallflowers
>
> Three bands who would be great with the BFF are:
>
> 1) Dance Hall Crashers
> 2) Squirrel Nut Zippers
> 3) Phish
>
> Josh

well, josh, for your information, those three bands havent been on the
top 20 forever. who do you think you are coming on here preaching that a
band is no good if it is in the mtv top twenty...well, i happen to love
two of the bands that he wrote as his faves, and i really dont care if
they are on the top twenty, because i dont pick bands to listen to by
how unpopular they are...is that cool for you, to like only unpopular
bands josh?

just thought i'd set you straight boy...

officer friendly

to make you feel even more like an idiot, i recall that SNZ's Hell is
currently one of the most played bands on mtv, which makes them in the
top twenty i guess....ooops.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 14:04:18 PDT
From: "Mr. Richard Smoker" <mrtatemyballs@hotmail.com>
Subject: pfunk, uncut funk, da bomb

I think a PFunk collaboration would be good, and there's enough people
in it to take up 3 bands.

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:42:27 +0100
From: paulmay@bigfoot.com (Paul May)

Hi everyone

As you all probably know, BFF were the featured band in June's edition of
Rock Love Magazine. There was a cool interview and some photos. Rock Love
have kindly given me permission to post the interview and photos on my
Web-Page.

My home page address is:
http://www.iol.ie/~may

I'm still looking for more people for the People on the Armchair page. Just
e-mail me your details (the answers to the  questions, at the bottom of the
page) and a photo. If you haven't got a scanned photo of yourself, and you
want to be on the page, you can either snail mail me a photo (just ask me
for my address) or I'll just leave out the photo all together.

And now the all important questions:

Name:
Age: (optional)
From:
How did you first hear BFF:
On The Armchair since:
Favorite BFF Self Titled songs:
Favorite BFF Self Titled line:
Favorite W&EA songs
Favorite W&EA line:

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to date

Paul May

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 18:32:14 -0400
From: percystar@cyberdrive.net (percystar)
Subject: HORDE battle of the bands CD

Yo 5's,
I was totally thinking about posting about the HORDE battle of the bands CD
b/c its been in my CD player since Columbus HORDE.  Right on to Erik for
inquiring about its groovability.  My vote:  WAY GROOVABLE.  I like track 1
the best, track 2 sounds alot like Phish, most of it sounds like Blues
Traveller, but it is all very cool.  It is definately worth picking up
(especially because it is free).  Stay on the cool vibe all,

Heather

"Officer Friendly's little boy's got a mohawk and we know just where he's
coming from" -Ben Folds Five

visit my newly updated web site with new bands and hang out in Fiver-ville:
http://www.cyberdrive.net/~percystar/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 18:43:21 -0400
From: percystar@cyberdrive.net (percystar)
Subject: Irv. Plaza - Cleve tape tree

Sorry to double post, but I just thought of this... I haven't gotten my tape
from the Irv. Plaza show that was supposedly being traded instead of the
Cleveland show.  Wuz up?  Have others gotten theirs or is it still in the
works?  Curious and bummed,

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 19:57:50 -0400
From: Vito Biliti <goatman1@geocities.com>
Subject: BF5 new video

Hi.
I'm brand new to this mailing list thing so i have no idea if i'm doing
this right.  Anyway, I just wanted to talk about BF5's new video (One Angry
Dwarf, even though it would make a better video for Underground).  I think
that it's definetely one of the best videos out, not just because i like
BFF so much, it's a really good video.  That's why i'm suprised that i've
only seen it once.  It was on MTVs 120 minutes last Sunday, and i fear that
may be the only time it will ever be on!  So everyone, call 1-800-DIAL-MTV
and request it a lot of times, and maybe it will get played more often.

Vito Biliti
goatman1@geocities.com
http://www.Geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/7544/bf5.html