Issue #445 - August 19, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, August 19 1997    Volume 01 : Number 445

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Singing Japanese
    re:our lady peace
    High Time Interview
    HORDE
    Video Update
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #441
    Philly Fans
    : )

Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:30:54 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: Singing Japanese

I don't know about the rest of you who have a copy of "Song For the
Dumped" in Japanese, but I truly enjoy being able to drive down the road,
turning up the volume and singing along. It's almost like being
bi-lingual. I'm so pathetic. What? You don't have anything by Jellyfish
yet? No this is not my first plug but if you don't own some of their
stuff you are MISSING OUT. Jellyfish was big in Japan too!!! The Japanese
certainly know good piano based, high tenor, pop rock. SEEEEE   YA!
I thought of a great cover for BF5....."Copa Cabana" by Barry Manilow. I
AM SO SERIOUS. Bye.

Joe

It evaporated. See.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 01:59:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com
Subject: re:our lady peace

Our Lady Peace is actually kinda big.  Here in St. Louis, they get good
airtime.  They had a song a while back and their new single Superman is Dead
is bein played alot on the "modern rock" station here(a station that sucks,
105.7).  but anyway, Im sure alot of people have heard of them(alot more than
BFF)
josh
                               holier than thou, how?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 05:17:52 -0600
From: Pluvius Dope <Policy@Mobsters.com>
Subject: High Time Interview

	I just realized now that this interview came from High Times, and not the
Times(NY, I believe it was only posted as the Times) are you assuming that
because an interview appears in a marijuana related magazine, that the
interviewees consume the illegal narcotics that the magazine cators too? I
hope not, because I severly look down on drug use, and if BFF did it, I
dont know who I will listen to now.

Pluvius Dope

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:42:12 -0400
From: "Lance E. Johnson" <lajohns4@vt.edu>
Subject: HORDE

Hi, my friends!

I caught the August 16 HORDE show at Nissan Pavilion in Virginia and here
is my report:

NO BEN FOLDS FIVE!  Yes, I knew this going into the show, but I cannot help
thinking how much better it would have been if they could have just
squeezed-out one more show for this tour.  I saw a lot of people wearing
BF5 shirts, so that was a welcome sign.  As far as other bands:  Ween was
surprisingly good as was an Athens band, Day by the River.  As many of you
have illustrated, Leftover Salmon blew the roof off and outshone an
energized Blues Traveler (who did a mean version of "The Devil Went down to
Georgia").  Otherwise, simply no BF5.  Booo hoo!

Now, I've given this a lot of thought and the subject is almost dead, but
the three artists of my choice are:

Lou Reed (what an electic mess)
Ween (after HORDE, it would be phunky)
Dave Matthews (why not?)

There you go, and rock on!

Lance

"He was a common cunning linguist, a master of many tongues" - D.P.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:57:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: MeandMrRay@aol.com
Subject: Video Update

Hello People of Earth,
trade me that damn promo video?" This is becoming such a hard decision to
make, I've recieved about 25 responses, and I would love to trade with all of
you, but alas I cant....But wait, or can I? I just got a second VCR and If
anyone would be willing to trade a live BF5 tape, or somthing of that
nature...for a "second generation" copy, more people can have this thing. And
to the few of you who offerd cash in return for the video, thanks, but no
thanks. I wanna keep this a trade, after all BF5 stuff is better than cash.
So I'm gonna find the winner of the "Trade Greg something for the Video
Portrait" contest, not a very catchy name, huh? If any of you are reading
this, and saying...."damn, what video is this guy talking about?". Heres the
scoop again (sorry to the rest of you to do this) I got this Promo Video
called "A Video Portrait". Its a 15 minute long video, with the Battle of who
could care less video, and about 11 or 12 minutes of Ben and the Boys acting
goofy, its alot of fun. I got an extra copy, and want to trade it to someone
for BF5 related items (like Live tapes, demos....etc.) I'm also making
available 2nd generation copies for trade. I know they wont impress you
friends as much, but hey, at least you will get to see this thing. Also, all
you Dave Matthews fans, I got promo EP for "two step" with 4 acoustic songs,
and 2 versions of "two step" on it, anyone interested in a trade, email me
for more details on the CD and a possible trade. Sorry to take up so much
space, thanks for leaving somthing fun in my mailbox everyday.

                                                Gregory the Terrible Eater.

                                                MeandMrRay@AOL.COM

"I wrote a song, it was slow and long. I got the words and the music
wrong.....but life goes on." Doug Martsch (of Built to Spill)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:29:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alanica@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #441

HI all ,

  Well, I was at the mall the other day thumbing through all the racks of
clothes, and all of a sudden I look up and just happen to see this huge image
of Ben banging on his piano on this big screen TV ( which is actually smaller
ones arranged in a huge square on the wall.) I had to do one of those things
were you rub your eyes and are like " Is this for real???" Then the sound of
BOWCCL finally hit my ears, and I was like, so I guess I'm not dreaming. I
thought it was so cool that a store like Belks would play Ben Folds Five, oh
wait.... What does that say for our radio station??? I think I need to just
give them a little ring and  tell them that they are really far behind when
department stores are more into awesome music than the local radio!!! Also
last year I walked into Sears with my Dad to get some tires or something like
that, and " Uncle Walter" was on!!! Poor Poor B.93.7 , so pitiful........ ok
enough of that. I'll let ya'll know if they ever play them here...... I wish
they would hurry up. Oh, and started school today...... got a handbook
(lovely) ...... got bored during all of the annocements and videos on turn to
this page turn to that so..... it's nopw full of BF5 quotes...... : )

Take Care and have wonderful times,

Beccabear

" Howard the stranges things have happened lately"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:00:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: NJDRUMMER@aol.com
Subject: Philly Fans

I keep looking for ANYBODY who's heard of BFF in Philly but it's real tough.
 Am I looking in the wrong places?  I'd like to hear from people in the
Phila/S. Jersey area who have:

1. Heard of Ben Folds Five
2. LIKE Ben Folds Five
3. LOVE Ben Folds Five
4. (and this is a biggie) Are musicians (Piano, Bass-I'll play drums) who
would like to attempt to cover Ben Folds Five.

Is anybody out there?  I saw a bunch of you at the TLA a couple of months
ago.  I know you must exist.

Steve

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:45:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alanica@aol.com
Subject: : )

our lady peace (sp) gets airplay in Greenville SC. just to let tha tperson
who posted know. Sorry about the non- related post.

take care,
becca

"kool-aid, sandwiches, and chips for all the shoulders" Jellyfish