Issue #446 - August 20, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Wednesday, August 20 1997   Volume 01 : Number 446

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Sex, drugs and punk rock for sissies
    high times, Pluvius Dope?
    high times (mostly non BF5)
    3 bands I'd like to see open for my band.
    Kate's CAKE article on marriage, etc.
    new member in Australia
    arrrrghh, 54th Sessions...

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:30:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brad654@aol.com
Subject: Sex, drugs and punk rock for sissies

> are you assuming that
> because an interview appears in a marijuana related magazine, that the
> interviewees consume the illegal narcotics that the magazine cators too? I
> hope not, because I severly look down on drug use, and if BFF did it, I
> dont know who I will listen to now.

When I was in high school, I had to combat this same kind of
small-mindedness, and it's just ridiculous. I mean, COME ON. See, I was a
HUGE Elton John fan, and I got hooked around 1983 (I was just getting into
rock music at the ripe old age of 13). Anyway, this was around the time of
_Too Low For Zero_, _Jump Up_, and singles like "Empty Garden," "Sad Songs,"
etc. I got drawn in by the greatest hits collection, and then I was hooked
more and more every day.

What REALLY PISSED ME OFF was the fact that other high schoolers would walk
up to me with their minds closed up tighter than a Catholic schoolgirl and
say really brilliant things like, "You like Elton John? He's a fag!" Or the
more colorful, "Elton John's a buttslammer, dude." My favorite was the loving
Christian point of view that went something like, "He's gay, so he's going to
hell. How could you listen to his music?"

All the time, I answered along the lines of, "Hey, dickless-- I don't listen
to what Elton does in the bedroom. I listen to his music. And besides, what
he does with his prick is his business, so mind your own."

The relevance to the original post may be lost in my poor storytelling
skills, so I'll say this: So what if Ben gets high? Does that make his music
suddenly suck? Of course not. Does it mean that if you have a problem with
people who smoke left-handed cigarettes, then you shouldn't hang out with
them (since you'd only be bitching about their dope-smoking anyway)? Yes, it
does. But what are the chances of... well, you get the idea.

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:43:58 PDT
From: "Kristin Muchesko" <woodnymph@hotmail.com>
Subject: high times, Pluvius Dope?

Hey ya'll

been absent far too long from the armchair.  haven't read in months
probably.  but i am back, with a new address. anyways...

just wanted to respond to Pluvius Dope...you were kidding in your post,
weren't you?  What should it matter what the guys in the band decide to
do with their PRIVATE lives?  What does that have to do with the quality
of their music?  get real, m'man.  and if you were being sarcastic,
sorry.  I am at work, and crabby about being here.

this is a little belated, but i saw bf5 at horde here in horribly hot
phoenix, and they sounded great.  the set was of course too short (how
to fit them into a 1/2 an hour!) but they rocked.  i talked to darren
and robert for a couple minutes, and it was cool cause they remembered
me from the last show in tucson.  good for the tiny ego.

well gotta go

With love and frolicking...Kristin

"I'm so hip I have difficulty
   seeing over my pelvis"
    ~Zaphod Beeblebrox

Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:53:52 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: high times (mostly non BF5)

I find it strange that some people seem both disappointed and surprised
to read that Ben Folds says he doesn't smoke a lot of pot. It seems like
it is perhaps that constant need for people to have their actions
vindicated. You know, it's much more fun to do something taboo or even
dangerous if lots of people are doing it. So many people do so many
things that they, somewhere in their psyche, feel is wrong or bad but if
other people do it too it makes it not seem so bad. If someone they
idolize does it....well then it must be the right thing to do.
I don't need to get in a big drug discussion but with numerous letters in
support of the drug habit, I figured I could at least voice my friendly
opposition. Just my bid at debunking the "everybody's doing it" myth.
Some of us are busy enjoying au natural.

Joe

Boxing's been good to me.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 00:18:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com
Subject: 3 bands I'd like to see open for my band.

When my band is big I want these 3 bands to open sometime:
BFF(obviouly)
Sugardaddy(a St. Louis band w/ alot of talent and soul)
Fragile Porcelain Mice(another STL band...kinda heavy but an awesome show)

honorable mention:
Stone Deep(a really cool jazz/rap/funk/rock band from Nashville)

at this stage in our career though, we would be delighted to open for any of
these bands as well.
josh

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:37:05 -0500
From: Eric Trondson-Clinger <holyboy@minn.net>
Subject: Kate's CAKE article on marriage, etc.

someone mentioned this awhile back, and i just got my hands on the article,
and through the goodness of my heart, i've decided to type that bastard in
for you...the magazine is called cake, and they do theme issues...the theme
for this issue was "wedding cake". and kate wrote an article for the issue.
and since i live in st.paul (where the zine is published) they give it away
for free here...elsewhere you have to pay for it...so i grabbed eight
copies...if anyone would like the actual thing, the first 8 people to email
me, and send me a self-addressed stamped envelope can be the proud owners
of said article and some shit. there are two pictures of ben and kate
accompanying the article (i gotta say they make one cute motherfu**ing
couple), and i have a scanner on it's way to me through the mail. i can't
think of a better way to break my scanner's maidenhead, than on these two
pictures, and i'll post the URL to the pictures later this week probably (i
pray to god the bastards didn't send it UPS). so really, you're gonna get
the whole thing, pictures and all, so why you'd want the actual copy in
your hands, i don't know...unless you're some kinda freaky ben&kate
fanatic...in which case i'll forward your addresses to the appropriate
authorities...i'm joking.

so here goes.

  Whatever and ever...I do.
  By Kate Folds

The most surprising thing about being married is how weird it isn't. I'd
never gone out with anyone for more than about fifteen minutes, but as soon
as Ben and I got past the friendship hurdle, I knew I'd marry him. And I
never thought I'd get married. Neither did Ben. But there was this heavy
thing between us that sort of demanded marriage. Time after time I had to
stop myself from proposing to him (I knew he'd want to do that) and even
now, six months after the wedding, I keep finding myself asking him to
marry me.

They say the first year of marriage is the hardest, and I believe it.
Imagine: you've been going out for six months, you've never been together
for more than ten days (usually more like three or four) at a time.
Then-bam!-you're scheduling a wedding to coincide with the only month he'll
have free all year, you're staying together at your parents' while every
day he's Fed-exed re-masters and re-edits of his major label debut, which
he's convinced at the time sucks sucks sucks, you have a beautiful wedding,
you honeymoon in your parents' guest room (they're still at home) because
travel is the last thing you want to do, and then he's gone for a month to
Japan and Europe for a press tour, and you're staying with friends in L.A.
Huh?

The one thing I know is that Ben is my person, and I'm his. I don't know my
address, what I'll be doing next month, or where my baggage is, but I know
that I've been running lights for the band, and I love it, but I don't even
know if Darren and Robert are glad I'm doing it or if they wish I were
color blind. Will I still be running lights in the fall? And if not, what
will I do? Where will I be while the band's on tour?

Sometimes these questions make my whole body tense up, but most of the
time, I just feel so lucky and amazed that I've found my person that it's
ok. It's hard living in his shadow, but I love my Ben, and we'll figure it
out. Even when we're apart, I'm not lonely because we're still together.
I'm so glad we're married.

(Kate is married to Ben Folds of Ben Folds Five. Their current CD is
"Whatever and Ever, Amen" (Sony/550).)

that is all. class dismissed.

"excuse me, but would you mind rocking on, my brother? thanks..."
                         erictc

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 18:49:00 +0000
From: nvron1@student.monash.edu.au
Subject: new member in Australia

Dear BFF fans,
I just wanted to let you all know that I'm from Melbourne and i have
just bought tickets to see BFF on September 26th. I can't wait. I
hope they're as great performing live as some of the reviews suggest.
Nicole

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 07:49:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: RECWreck@aol.com
Subject: arrrrghh, 54th Sessions...

welp... I saw at rockontv.com a while back that BF5 were indeed on in
september. then I look at the sessions page to see they are NOWHERE to be
found... look back at rockontv.com yesterday and they are NOWHERE on the
list. it looks liked they got dropped : (
              Ryan