Issue #448 - August 25, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Monday, August 25 1997    Volume 01 : Number 448

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

WHY NO ARMCHAIRS?
   The Magical Armchair was interrupted because of a server problem at
maillist.il.fontys.nl.  This has now been corrected and everything should
be back to normal.  If you tried to unsubscribe in the last few days and
did not get a confirmation message, try again.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    easy fix
    fantasy land fun
    l0unge-a-pal00za
    Greetings and Salutations, you a Heather?
    newbie!
    bff in performing songwriter......
    Confusion is the word of the day

Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 19:21:49 PDT
From: "One Angry.Dwarf" <one_angry_dwarf@hotmail.com>
Subject: easy fix

>WHY NO ARMCHAIRS?
>   The Magical Armchair was interrupted because of a server problem at
>maillist.il.fontys.nl.  This has now been corrected and everything
should
>be back to normal.  If you tried to unsubscribe in the last few days
and

Well, never mind then!  I guess that answers my question and solves my
problem!!

Russell

"You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are
what you pretend to be." --Kurt Vonnegut, "Mother Night"

Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 23:00:55 +0000
From: Stevie Berryman <gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: fantasy land fun

here is a kick-ass line-up:

Protein
the frogs
Wierd Al
Ben Folds Five

I would like to see BF5 cover some of Wierd Al's stuff, like "Yoda".

If you don't know who the other two bands are, they both are excellent
bands.

the frogs:  wierd folk music that tears at the ego of the typical white
male.  they have a new album out, called Starjob, on the Scratchie
record label started by two members of the Smashing Pumpkins.

Protein:  damn good, I would describe them as BF5 fused with Nirvana.
their new album is "Ever since i was a kid".

out
stevie

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 23:05:29 -0600
From: laura@radiks.net ([laura werkheiser])
Subject: l0unge-a-pal00za

hey everybody. i've been on this badassmuthagijoe list for a good month or
two, but have yet to post anything - i just thought i should crawl out of
my hiding place and say something, so hi! :) i'm laura. ok..now that i've
introducted myself.. i don't have any boots to trade, or gig reviews or
anything - but i did just hear about a cd called lounge-a-palooza, which is
to feature a variety of today's "cutting edge" acts, and will inclue ben
and the boys. (as well as fun lovin' criminals, etc.) i was just wondering
if anybody knew anything about this? it sounds pretty awesome...
                                                x0,
                                               laura

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 08:51:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: Greetings and Salutations, you a Heather?

	YEAH!!!! The Armchair is back! I fee whole and complete now. Wait,
maybe it's that bran muffin I had for breakfast..... Anyway, I just wanted
to say that I missed all of you guys, so don't ever go away again! (Can
you hear the sappy, Yanni-esque music in the background yet?) Laters!

ERIC

P.S. The first person to give the correct response to the title of my post
gets bonus cool points from me. Reply to me only please! Laters!
      "Oriental flavor my ass! This tastes nothing like a real Oriental!"
								-EBP

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 13:39:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Shwazzoo@aol.com
Subject: newbie!

Hello all! I've only been on the armchair for about a week, and i haven't
posted anything yet. I just wnated to see how it works. BFF are awesome. They
are definately one of my fave bands. I've never traded, but if someone wants
to help get me started e-mail me. THANK YA MUCH!!
~~~~~Lisa~~~~~~

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 15:57:42 -0700
From: aplauri@juno.com (Philip J. L.)
Subject: bff in performing songwriter......

hey all!!!!

i was just in a local c.d. store to find myself browsing through the
hundreds of music related magazines, when i stumbled upon a copy of
"performing songwriter."  the name explains the whole genre of the
magazine so i wont get in to all that.  but anyway..... ben folds is
featured in it w/ a three page interview w/ a couple of pictures......
it is the july/august issue.  if anyone cannot get this magazine or cant
find it i would be happy to buy it for you and then we could work out
some kind of trade or something.....

laters.......philip

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 16:01:52 -0500
From: Joe Herbster <TBoneGuy@concentric.net>
Subject: Confusion is the word of the day

Dear Magical Armchairians,
    I am new to the Armchair so you are going to have to forgive me if
you have already covered this subject, but is Ben married to a lady
named Kate or Anna Goodman.  I was told that it was the latter.  I guess

if he is married to someone named Kate then that would be some
interesting incentive to write a song called "Kate", which I must say I
really like.  But I've heard from some real die-hard BFF fans that he is

married to this so called Anna Goodman.  I am completely confused so if
anyway wants to offer some clarification, I would be more than thankful.

    Just a thought, if he is married to someone named Kate, and the song

Kate is based on Kate, then wouldn't that really solve the whole
pot-smoking issue?  As in: "Everyday she wears the same thing I think
she smokes pot."
    First of all, how would he be able to guess if she smokes pot or not

unless he know what he is talking about and Second of all, if he really
abhorred pot smoking, then he wouldn't have gotten married to a girl who

he suspects does it.  I'm probably way off on all of this so I will stop

rambling.  Happy BFF listening!

- -CA

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 19:04:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Krosstown Traffic <jmkross@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #447

I just recently bout the Kate Single with "All shook up" opn it.  Does
anyone know if the line Ben says at the en of the Elvis tune "What a
wicked thing to do" is a poke at Chris Isaac? Also, is  that a guitar on
OAD?

Josh

Josh Kross	             jmkross@wam.umd.edu             |
                             http://www.wam.umd.edu/~jmkross/|