Issue #449 - August 26, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest    Tuesday, August 26 1997    Volume 01 : Number 449

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

WHY NO ARMCHAIRS?
   The Magical Armchair was interrupted because of a server problem at
maillist.il.fontys.nl.  This has now been corrected and everything should
be back to normal.  If you tried to unsubscribe in the last few days and
did not get a confirmation message, try again.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    crisis with lyrics to one angry dwarf
    Welcome back, fontys
    BRICK????
    BRICK???
    CAKE article and pictures...
    One Angry Dwarf video
    Confusion partially cleared up
    Review
    Kate
    Manilow covers + nicknames
    Where have you gone, armchair?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #448
    13 Demos
    Kate and UK Dates
    [none]

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 23:26:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jessica237@aol.com
Subject: crisis with lyrics to one angry dwarf

okay guys and gals, here's my big crisis...i mean, of course i know the
lyrics to the song (they came with the song book and shite, right?), but
anyways, at the end of the song, there are two parts that are sort of low and
mumbled-like and i have no idea what they are saying. it is not in the lyrics
book, which sucks, and i always thought i was imagining it, until last night,
when i was watching the one angry dwarf video for the 1000th time (i taped it
off of 120 min) and i noticed that they were actually signing these weird
lyrics. but it's more like talking than singing. robert says one part and the
other seems like a short convo/exchange b/w robert and ben. so, if anyone
else has noticed this and can help me out, please do!! before i go crazy!!
thanks! have a nice day.                --jess

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 00:31:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Welcome back, fontys

Thanks to everyone for not flooding the list with "where's the armchair?"
posts. There was a little server hiccup over in Holland which caused all
the empty mailboxes, and a welcome relief from the dozen or so error and
bounce messages that grace mine every day. (One requirement of a list
admin is that you must have a large mail spool.)

I had posted an item on my web page as to what was happening, so those who
checked there got the scoop. I'll follow the same practice in the future
in the event of a server problem, so if you ever think you are having a
problem with delivery of your Armchair, check http://oeonline.com/bff/
first.

TBoneGuy: Ben is definitely married to Kate. Anna Goodman co-wrote some of
his songs but they are not married.

On the pot issue, there are other references: "See if Paul can score some
weed", "And he sees the children smoking pot", so he certainly writes
about it.  And I know if anyone smokes pot, but I'm not telling.

 -fjm
      Then I walk down to buy her flowers and sell some gifts that I got

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 00:58:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Calmdown20@aol.com
Subject: BRICK????

Hello everbody, yet ANOTHER newbie comin at ya.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 01:07:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: Calmdown20@aol.com

Hello everybody.  Yet ANOTHER newbie comin at ya.  I just subscribed to
Armchair so I completly missed what everybody said about "Brick".  I am very
interested what everybody thinks about this song and what it is about.  I
heard it could be about Abortion, AIDS, even a sick pet.  So it would be
really cool if I could get some feedback on this.

Also, whats Ben view on the pot smoking thing??

Jonathan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 01:28:25 -0500
From: Eric Trondson-Clinger <holyboy@minn.net>
Subject: CAKE article and pictures...

i don't know if this went through or not...so just in case...

ok, i got my scanner and broke it in with the pictures from the CAKE
article i posted yesterday. you can take a look at it down here:

http://www1.minn.net/~holyboy/cake.html

i put the article up there too, for those of you that missed it. if you
don't have web access, email me and i can send the pictures to ya via email.

and i don't have anymore of the zines to send out...sorry.

"excuse me, but would you mind rocking on, my brother? thanks..."
                         erictc

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 97 18:23:00 PDT
From: "Scott Hookway" <shookway@powerup.com.au>
Subject: One Angry Dwarf video

I finally saw the video on Sunday.  Channel [V] in Australia played it.  It
was so cool.  Have any other Aussies seen it??  And if so on what show??

Scott

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 09:30:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: BSCHACK@aol.com
Subject: Confusion partially cleared up

In a message dated 97-08-24 20:08:01 EDT, Joe Herbster wrote:

<< ust a thought, if he is married to someone named Kate, and the song

 Kate is based on Kate, then wouldn't that really solve the whole
 pot-smoking issue?  As in: "Everyday she wears the same thing I think
 she smokes pot." >>

Keep singing - the next line.  "She's everything I want She's everything I'm
not" (emphasis added). - Get it?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 09:26:09 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: Review

I have posted a review by the Chicago Tribune on my bff site. The link is in
the main menu page.

- -Erik.
http://members.tripod.com/~elyons/ben_index.htm
Homepage For The Dumped

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 10:00:17 -0600
From: "Erik C. Lyons" <EPA8820@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: Kate

Info on Ben's wife on the webpages. . .

http://members.tripod.com/~elyons/ben_index.htm

"Big Water. . .big water. . .I am from big water. . ."
- -WD

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 11:14:15 -0700
From: "Kamp, Marcus S" <Marcus.Kamp@PSS.Boeing.com>
Subject: Manilow covers + nicknames

Last week, before the server problems, somebody mentioned wanting to see
BFF perform "Copa Cabana".  I thought I'd point out that there is
precedence for such a cover.  In March of '96, I saw them cover "Can't
Smile Without You".  Much better than when Manilow did it himself.  Of
course, that still doesn't top the cover of "Video Killed the Radio
Star" they did that same night.
I also wanted to submit my vote for a nickname for us BFF-obsessed
types:  Helmet Heads (as opposed to Dead Heads, Parrot Heads, Phish
Heads, etc.).
Just a thought (or 2).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:32:02 PDT
From: "Courtney Knopf" <vegasbaby@hotmail.com>
Subject: Where have you gone, armchair?

Hey kids,
I'm wondering what teh hell has happened to the armchair. yesterday was
the first time I've gotten it in the last 4 days or so. Does anyone know
what's up?

~Courtney

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 16:04:51 -0400
From: Agnes DiPesto <sliemers@infinet.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #448

Joe Herbster or any confused armchair e-mailers,

Ben is married to Kate (yes the Kate from the song).  Anna Goodman is a
friend of his who's helped with writing a few songs.  You'll find her
name in the credits of both albums.  Too bad you didn't find this
mailing list a week ago because some nice guy typed out an entire
article that Kate wrote about being married to Ben.  And about the pot
smoking issue, I don't think anything can be assumed from the song.

Gracias!
Barbi

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 16:20:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bnanakingg@aol.com
Subject: 13 Demos

Hi,

Well, I just traded a guy and received the 13 demos in return...  No offense
to the guy I traded, but good God, there's so much hiss in the mix that you
can't even hear the song.  Here's why I'm reaching out to the armchair.  I
KNOW that the guys used to sell this tape at their shows, and so I'm
wondering if somebody out there has a decent copy of it that we could trade
for.  I would be willing to pay any price or copy down my whole collection
for it.  I don't want your original...  I just want a decent copy.  Eddie
Walker is the best fucking song I've ever (kind of) heard and I would like to
be able to listen to it in its full, brilliant, clarity.  I can't get this
song out of my head.  I'm constantly singing to myself the little, "WOO  OOO
O OOOO,  AHhhhh" part.  I have a whole new respect of Ben for writing this
song.  Well, anyway, just get back to me if you have one.

Thanks!

Over,
Bryce

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 22:22:48 +0100
From: "john.holloway" <john.holloway@which.net>
Subject: Kate and UK Dates

hey all, hows it hangin (metaphorically speaking)?

Two things. To the dude asking about Bens marital status (Confusion is the
word of the day no.448) : he is married to Kate but was married before. I
don't know her name though. I have a copy of the official sony biography of
them at http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/lot/5009/ben.html and that says
Kate is his second stab....

Second thing is I was handed a leaflet at the Reading festival that says
our beloved three are playing Londons Shepherds Bush Empire on Thurs 11th
december. Tickets are £11 (ring: 0181 740 7474) but I don't think thats
their only UK date. Does anybody know any other dates or venues yet?
Somebody say Sheffield or Nottingham and I'll love you forever...

later alligators

Dave

Ben and His Folding Five: http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/lot/5009

"who greased that vine?" - Tarzans last words

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 09:17:57 +1000
From: "BECK" <beckwk@pnc.com.au>
Subject: [none]

Hi Again all,

I'm just writing to tell all of you a tale. This story
begins two days ago, I decided that I would pull
myself from my state of melancholic brooding and
saunter down to my local ticket agency to acquire
the necessary equipment to gain entrance one of
the Australian Ben Folds Five concert.

Having done this I joyously stuffed the tickets into
my pocket. It was until closer inspection that I
discovered, to my amazement I had actually been
fluky enough to get ticket number 5!

Sorry to bore you all, I just had to share that experience

Matt Beck

Hundreds of people have been found dead in what police are calling a
cemetery