Issue #452 - August 28, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Thursday, August 28 1997   Volume 01 : Number 452

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please
do not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    If you like Ben Folds...
    hey...it's me!
    huh?
    Anti-Drug
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #450
    Again I rear my ugly helmet head
    Ben featured on new CBC Radio programme
    tapes, cd singles
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #449
    Canadian BFFers?

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 22:00:13 -0500
From: john_oc@juno.com
Subject: If you like Ben Folds...

I always hope that people post more stuff like this, because I think it
is a big help to people.  I myself have the chance to work in college
radio as assistant music director, so I do feel that that paired with my
335 Cd's means that I know a little bit about pop music.  These are just
a few of the bands that you should like if you like Ben Folds, and all of
us do!!!

Belle and Sebastian(Enclave) - A British band featuring 7 members, just
great pop music where Stevie Jackson finger picks his telecaster about as
well as Ben tickles the ivories...a must buy!

Five for Fighting(EMI) - John Wozniak is a talented singer and piano
player...the album contains several, almost all, tracks with a piano
line, and when they play live, John prefers to just jam on the
piano...there are similarities, although I think the sound is a Counting
Crows/Ben Folds hybrid.

Built to Spill(Warner Bros.) - This is a bit of a stretch, seeing as
though they sound nothing like Ben Folds at all, at least the new album
doesn't.  Lots of efx, long songs, melodies that stick in your head,
despite the lack of sing-along-lyrics.  The earlier stuff is more
accesible pop music, but the new album is great.

Also just thought I would mention that Radiohead - OK Computer is by far
the best album of 1997 so far.  They did to pop music what Blur tried to
do with their latest effort(also not bad), and did it perfectly...the
album can be summed up by three songs in my mind, Exit Music(for a film),
Electioneering, and Climbing up the Walls.  Thom Yorke is a genius.  I
met him at a recent show in Cleveland, and he is a very nice guy.

Hi Heather in DC!!!!  How is George Washingon????

Thanks for listening!

John Boyer
WOBN-FM 101.5 the ROCK
Asst. Music Director, Triple A Dir. and Research Dir.
Email: John_OC@juno.com   Phone: (614) 823-2969
Westerville, Ohio(Just north of Columbus)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 21:17:48 -0500 (CDT)
From: c715454@showme.missouri.edu
Subject: hey...it's me!

hi it's bess and i'm now at college. how exciting, eh? anyway, two things.
first of all. i think that we should do a sequel to a tape chain started a
really long time ago by some other guy. in this tape chain, everyone on it
makes a tape of favorite, somewhat obscure music and sends it to one
person. in theory, everyone on the chain gets to have everyone elses tape.
i just thought that this would be fabulous since everyone is so interested
in other music. if anyone would be interested, please e-mail me. i think i
know how to set it up, the only problem is, i don't know how i'm going to
handle any foreigners interested...but i'll figure something out. number
two. when i was in brazil, i went to this one huge place, kinda like
barnes and noble, but it was brazilian. anyway, i looked, and by god if
they didn't have whatever and ever amen. i almost wet my pants. i started
screaming and almost grabbed the guy next to me to make him buy it, but
then i remembered that he probably wouldn't understand what i said anyway.
so i just kissed it and went on. i've missed the armchair, but i've just
re-subscribed, so i'll be spending tons of time with you guys again.
e-mail me here to get on the tape chain.

- -bess

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 23:05:48 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: huh?

I heard all this discussion about who Ben was married to. Was it some
woman named "Kate" or some woman named "Anna Goodman?"  I guess I must've
been out of the loop because all I could think was.....BEN'S
MARRIED?!?!?!

I'm just kidding. I'm sorrry. I couldn't resist.

joe

It evaporated - see?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 03:14:51 -0600
From: Pluvius Dope <Policy@Mobsters.com>
Subject: Anti-Drug

	This is sort of on topic, but since the topic is a hot one I started, I'm
throwing in some more of my two bits on drug use:

Here is the problem. All of you drug users are saying "What's the big deal
about him smoking a little pot". I will go to the extreme here and say
"Well what would be the problem with him molesting a few children". The
answer to both of these. A LOT. Of course the molesting of the child has a
lot more ramifications than the drug use, and the life of the child is
ruined. But when someone who a lot of people admire, such as Ben Folds,
advocates drug use, then sales of that particular drug go up. So if you see
a lot of people buying drugs from one dealer, that instills competition,
and another deal decides to shoot the first dealer. Bullets fly, and pretty
soon a whole school yard full of innocent children were mowed down by the
Uzi of a drug dealer who hadnt even heard of Ben Folds Five, he just knew
that he had been selling an awful lot of pot lately. Granted this is filled
with a lot of extremes, It just pisses me off when drug users dont see the
cause and effects of their actions, I.E buying pot from a dealer, or even
having kids look up to them, and justifying drug use for them. Ben Folds
Five is unfortunately not even a mainstream band. Look what happens when
groups like Cypress Hill, or Dr. Dre started promoting drug use. I don't
know if y'all remember but when "The Chronic" came out(Dr. Dres first solo
album) that is when we began to see the influx on the marijuana leaf into
society. I am sure that the drug users out there dont see anything wrong
with that, but those of us who are Straight Edge, or even cleaner, see a
LOT wrong with a culture that sees drug use as O.K. I for one dont think
that we should have the attitude that there is nothing wrong with a little
pot smoking, because before you know it, your kids will be smoking crack.
(And the line between the two is finer than you think)

Pluvius Dope.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 10:35:41 +0100
From: paulmay@bigfoot.com (Paul May)
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #450

Hey everyone,

Wow I'm sorry about posting the message three times. It's weird. I posted it
last twice week when the Armchair was down, and then again last night, as
luck would would have it they all got posted at once. I'm sorry, please
don't kill me...

WOW BEN-FOLDS FIVE PLAY IRELAND.......YES!!!!!!!!!!!

BFF are playing here (for the first time ever I reckon) in a club called the
Red Box. This'll be my first BFF show, I'm SO excited.
Anyway if there are any Irish fans reading this get in touch with
me...that'd be cool!

Seeya

Paul

______________________________
Visit the People on the Armchair Page:
http://www.iol.ie/~may
______________________________

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 08:02:29 -0400
From: "Faix, Andrew" <AFaix@harris.com>
Subject: Again I rear my ugly helmet head

Hello again everyone,

Sorry to have to do this again, but in light of two recent posts on
Armchair #450, I felt it time to make my argument again.

Specifically to Aaron Dawson and Eric Patton (any relation to George
S.?):

NO NAMES!  This debated bubble and frothed months ago, and then
thankfully ended.  Please, I BEG ALL OF YOU, let's not bring up the name
issue again.  Concentrate your creative impulses on something more
productive than brainstorming a label for the Ben collective.  I have no
desire to be called a Helmet Head, an Angry Dwarf or even an
Armchairite.

However, I would like to whole-heartedly agree with the second half of
Aaron's post regarding the band's disputed drug use.  To all those
living in their drug free fantasy world: think!  Don't let Jesse Helms
and Jerry Falwell think for you.  To be under the impression that the
any part of the pop culture is drug free, is painfully naive.  I think
some of these people would be very surprised to learn just who in the
entertainment does do drugs (not just musicians but authors, actors and
the bureaucracy as well).  Regardless, this controversy it should not
dissuade from the fact that whether Ben, Robert or Darren toke up or
not, their music certainly doesn't suffer.

Oh, one last point.  To Eric Patton:  I don't want another Brick
controversy anymore than you do, but I think that saying "WE DECIDED" on
what the song was about is a bit pretentious, don't you think?  I would
submit that we agreed to disagree.  I certainly never supported the
abortion theory, and I would imagine |'m not the only one.

Sorry for the negative attitude.  Hopefully my next post will be a bit
more positive and more band-related.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

- -Andrew (afaix@harris.com)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 08:05:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Ben featured on new CBC Radio programme

CBC Stereo's now-defunct but excellent Saturday night programme "Real
Time" is being resurrected starting September 6 as "RadioSonic".  Among
the features on the first broadcast is a look by hosts Leora Kornfeld and
David Wisdom at piano 'n' rock, including an interview with Ben Folds.
The segment is expected to air at 8:30 PM Eastern time, Sept. 6.

RadioSonic airs Saturday evenings, 7 PM to Midnight, on stations of the
CBC Stereo network across Canada and worldwide via RealAudio on the
Internet. For information on the show, check http://www.radiosonic.com

 -fjm
              And don't forget to give me back my black T-Shirt.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:45:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alexander Jay Timin <ajtimin@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Subject: tapes, cd singles

I am looking to increase my collection of live tapes and cd singles.  I am
looking for any high quality (clear sound) recordings that I don't have.
I you have some, please email mee off the list! (see below)

I also would like to get the Underground single w/ live Jackson cannery
and Underground.  Again, if you can help, please let me know!

Anyone know of or have any live video recordings of BFF in concert?

Thanks,

Alex  -  ajtimin@freenet.tlh.fl.us

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:53:44 CST
From: "Robert Neal" <RNEAL@Athena.valpo.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #449

Unsuscribe from the Armchair...
I can't keep up with all the posts and stuff.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 15:36:23 -0400
From: Rob Bertrand <rhb@vif.com>
Subject: Canadian BFFers?

I've noticed a ton of Australian and (obviously) American BFF fans on this
list. Are there any other canucks out there? Or how about anyone who saw the
BFF play in Montreal in early June. I happened to be out of town on vacation
stalking Dave Matthews with some Californian on this list when the show was
happening here. It broke my friend's heart, to be missing BFF play at a
venue which holds maybe 500 (the Cabaret). The fact that we got to be in
beautiful Camden, NJ *snicker* that night seeing the DMB with 30,000 other
people was at least a minor consolation.

Back to the Montreal BFF show. I read in a blurb in the paper the following
week that Ben basically broke the piano halfway through the set and they had
to end the show early. I've yet to hear any BFF on Montreal radio, which
would explain why the place was half-full despite a $10 ticket.

Oh well, I'll end my somewhat incoherent introductory post now.

Rob