Issue #461 - September 4, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest  Thursday, September 4 1997  Volume 01 : Number 461

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please do
not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

GOING BACK TO SCHOOL?
   If you are returning to school and will be subscribing under a campus
e-mail address, don't forget to unsubscribe your home e-mail address
before you leave.  The unsub process works much more smoothly when you
send the unsub message from the account which you are unsubscribing.

ERROR MESSAGES
 The last couple Armchairs have contained an error message from a
particular user which contains the entire issue being bounced. I have
unsubscribed this user but because the error messages aren't generated for
several days, you can expect to see them for another two or three days
before they run their course. Also, occasionally someone will set up their
vacation responder to send a message automatically replying to any e-mail
they receive saying they are on vacation. When these are configured
incorrectly, the messages wind up back in the Digest every day. I will be
unsubscribing any such user on the first sign of a vacation message in the
Armchair and ask that if you use a vacation responder, please set it to
reply to the "From:" address and not to the "Reply-To:" address.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Geez....
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #459
    the new cd
    Undeliverable Message
    Christmas Singles/SiteoftheWeek (half off-topic)
    New to the chair...
    new
    Album in March?
    RE: someone's band to play w/ BFF

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 21:07:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: Geez....

	I mean, someone out there is slacking! This is about the third or
fourth post I've seen where someone has had to ask the same question. Get
those obsessed little minds and various planted bugs working! I thought we
were real stalkers on here. Prove me right!!! ;)

ERIC

P.S. If you couldn't figure it out, like with most of my life, I'M JUST
KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
	"Love is just prolonged lust that causes mental arthritis."
							Anonymous

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 23:21:03 -0500
From: Matt Lewinski <mlewinsk@newton.kamsc.k12.mi.us>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #459

>                                Andy   #:-)
>                                University of California, Irvine
>
>P.S. In the disk changer (I love reading everybody else's)
>        1) Komeda - "The Genius of Komeda"
>        2) Soul Coughing - "Ruby Vroom"
>        3) Elvis Costello - "King of America"
>        4) Frosted - "Cold"
>        5) Gus Gus - "Polydistortion"
>        6) Rolling Stones - "Exile on Main St."

No bff? truly amazing...

- -matt lewinski

ps... in the disk changer (all one cd)
1) bff, eponymous (i think that's how it's spelled)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 22:57:25 -0500
From: Lachesis@webtv.net (unlucky leprechaun)
Subject: the new cd

to be honest, since the cd is going to have some live stuff on it, i'd
like to see (hear) theme from dr. pyser on it, preferably with the
string section.  the strings added so much to that song, or so it
seemed.  a song like that in cd quality sound would be great.

i'd also like to see for all y'all who wear fanny packs.  again, hearing
it in cd quality sound, and being able to just put the cd player on
repeat and hear it over and over again.

an interesting point was made, though.  i'd like to hear robert and
darren on the mike (which is part of the reason i mentioned "fanny
packs")

dave

"mom, romance is dead.  it was acquired in a hostile takeover bid by
hallmark and disney, homogenized, and sold off piece by piece." --lisa
simpson

want to find a place on the internet where we can all be happy and
joyous and have lots of fun?  too bad. there is no such place on this
plane of existence.  but if you like you can visit my site:
http://members.tripod.com/~lastpolka/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 02:51:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Calmdown20@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #458

Well, it may be a little late, but I have to respond to CA's post a couple of
days ago.  I just wanted to say that I got your back on something CA.  Just
because some of us dont know every little thing there is to know about Ben
Folds and his band and his life is no reason to go responding with hate mail.
 For god sakes people, why cant you just be nice and tell him what he wants
to know?  It was a simple question, all you had to do was give a simple
answer.  When I heard he got hate mail because he didnt know something about
the group, that just pissed me off.  You people that know everything and are
experts should be here to help people like us out, who dont know everything.
 When I first subscribed to Armchair not that long ago, I wanted to know what
everyone thought about Brick, and some guy emailed me and told me that i was
going to piss everybody off by asking that.  What the hell?  I didnt know a
little question like that was going to piss everybody off.  I dont think the
Magical Armchair Digest was made specificaly for people who know everything
about the band.  So I am asking all of you experts out there ... Dont be
pricks about it...when we have a question that everybody has the answer to,
just be nice, and give us the answer.

But then i also disagree on something CA said.  If you want to post on
something thats been talked about lately (pot) then this is a free country
and you can post it if you want.  If some of you out there are sick of
reading about it...then its a free country and you dont have to read it.
 Just scroll past it.  If somebody wants to voice there opinion about
something, then most of the time I'll be happy to read it.  This pot thing
has me quite interested on what everybody thinks about it...so feel free to
keep talking about...at least you know ONE person cares.

Jonathan
"So you can laugh all you want to, but Ive got my philosophy"--  you know who

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 11:27:49 -0500
From: punkerboy@webtv.net (JOHN SCHOLTES, Jr.)
Subject: Christmas Singles/SiteoftheWeek (half off-topic)

     Hello all!!!

          I know that Pearl Jam used to put out a Christmas Single every
year for the fans in their Ten Club. Wouldn't it be a cool idea if the
guys did one. Not Christmas songs, per say, but maybe a few unreleased
songs. Out of two singles that I got back when I was  the Ten Club 2 or
3 years ago, there were I think at least 2 songs on each (one was a
double so there were 4 songs on it), and not  single song t my
recollection was a holiday song. Just all around neat-o hard to come by
stuff. Weird covers and hard to find unreleased stuff. Just an idea...
looking for feedback.

           Also, my site has just been nominated for a Site Of The Week
compitition. I'd appreiate it greatly if you cold all vote. Either go to
my page, High Velocity Onlne (link below), and follow the link or simply
send an email mesage to  lenster@swva.net with the words "Preliminary
Round" in the subject line, and "Site #14" in the body. Thanks a ton in
advance!!

                                           Later,
                                               Johnny

"Sometimes I punch myself as hard as I can yelling 'nobody cares' hoping
somone will tell me how wrong I am" -Ben Folds

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/1867/ High Velocity Online

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 13:42:27 -0500
From: Mark McConville <mwmcconv@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: New to the chair...

	Hey all, my name is Mark and I'm new to this list.  A bit about me-
I'm a student at UW-Madison, I play guitar and I am a newly converted Ben
Folds Five lover.  I've been a big fan for about a year.  Ben Folds Five
has really helped me through some tough times, and I'd love to hear about
how others feel about the same topic.  I get a little smile every time I
hear "And don't forget to give me back my black t-shirt..."
	I saw them play at HORDE in Somerset Wisconsin and they were the
best band of the day hands down.  Energy, enthusiasm, presence...everything
a live band should be.  During Morphine's set, they were signing autographs
and it was great to meet them.  I have my little autographed
poster....Ahhhh.  I let Ben know how much their music means to me, which
was definitely the highlight of my summer.  I can't wait to see them in
concert again.  Hope you're not all jealous...later.

Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 15:19:38 EDT
From: astrojames@juno.com (James Z!)
Subject: new

Okay, I'm brand new to the armchair and I've seen a bunch of posts about
pot and other drugs. I'm straight edge, so you know how I stand on that
issue. Secondly, since I'm new I don't know what's been discussed on this
list and I was just wondering if there's any other little errors on
"Whatever And Ever Amen?" I don't know what it is, I just like to find
little errors done during recording. I don't buy CD's just to hear
mistakes, but I've heard the phone ringing in the background during
"Steven's Last Night in Town." That was pretty surprising. It took me
like a week to hear it though. - James Z!

*** www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/6649 ***

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 16:42:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Album in March?

Eric Patton metioned in yesterday's digest that the band is putting out a
new album in March.  I seem to have heard it discussed before, mainly as
speculation.

This is not true. Some time early next year (no release date set yet),
Caroline Records will be releasing an album of "vault" material that they
have.  The boys have not even started writing material for what will be the
second album on Sony 550.

 -fjm
               You know who I am. I'm your nightmare little man

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 19:52:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com
Subject: RE: someone's band to play w/ BFF

<<  Son Volt- a band from Mississippi (I think) >>

Actually, they are from St. Louis.  And now they are national, so there is no
reason to really state where they are from...ya know?  Nobody says, REM-a
band from Georgia.  or your Average Piece of Crap- from Seattle

ok, bubye
josh