Issue #462 - September 5, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Friday, September 5 1997   Volume 01 : Number 462

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please do
not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

GOING BACK TO SCHOOL?
   If you are returning to school and will be subscribing under a campus
e-mail address, don't forget to unsubscribe your home e-mail address
before you leave.  The unsub process works much more smoothly when you
send the unsub message from the account which you are unsubscribing.

ERROR MESSAGES
 The last couple Armchairs have contained an error message from a
particular user which contains the entire issue being bounced. I have
unsubscribed this user but because the error messages aren't generated for
several days, you can expect to see them for another two or three days
before they run their course. Also, occasionally someone will set up their
vacation responder to send a message automatically replying to any e-mail
they receive saying they are on vacation. When these are configured
incorrectly, the messages wind up back in the Digest every day. I will be
unsubscribing any such user on the first sign of a vacation message in the
Armchair and ask that if you use a vacation responder, please set it to
reply to the "From:" address and not to the "Reply-To:" address.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    New Cd
    Re: the new album/ whatcha wanna see?
    Wow....
    Gladhands
    Just wondering, as i always do...
    errors in WaEA
    questions
    Gigs in Virginia??
    unsubscribe
    CD Changer Contents
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #459
    The New CD
    philosophy
    A quick thought on BFF wanting good Horde shows
    A quick thought on BFF wanting good Horde shows

Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 19:51:38 -0700
From: "Julie Hurst" <sledgie@mailexcite.com>
Subject: New Cd

Can someone please tell me about this new cd I've heard about??
Is anyone going to be going to Recovery when they are on mail me if you are. And
is anyone going to the monash uni gigs also mail me.
And what the hell is Bhagavad Gita???
And who is singing at the start of Underground The never cool in school part and
the hand me my nose ring, is it ben or Darren???

Free web-based e-mail, Forever, From anywhere!
http://www.mailexcite.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 23:10:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com
Subject: Re: the new album/ whatcha wanna see?

<< Personally, I'd
 like to see either Darren or Jesse get a shot at the mike. >>
well.  darren Jesse is one person. he plays drums. robert sledge plays bass.
 but no hard feelings, Im sure it was just a dumb mistake. later,
josh

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 23:19:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: Wow....

	You mean, Frank actually knows me by name?!?!? I'm so happy, I
don't know, I could just.... just....... just..........................
		JOYGASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
				;)

ERIC
	"Love is just prolonged lust that causes mental arthritis."
							Anonymous

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 23:30:29 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: Gladhands

As a major Jellyfish and BF5 fan, I was very interested to hear someone
say that if you like them...you'll like the Gladhands. Would someone with
the disc let me know if it's the kind of thing I'll find at a cool record
store or if I'll need to go through the band or some indie label. Don Cuh
 Shane.
joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 20:51:24 -0700
From: "Alison Ward" <one.angry.dwarf@mailexcite.com>
Subject: Just wondering, as i always do...

Hey there all you nice people who like nice music 8),

As i am always wondering i an wondering now does anyone know and like a band called
Possum Dixon?  I only know one of thier songs (watch that girl destroy me),  wondering
if anyone knows much about them.  If you do than can you tell me?  ThanX.

Another wondering moment, can i please have some more info on Freedie johnston?
I asked a little while back and got some replies, thanks to all those people who
did that.  Any really good web sites on him?

Yet another wonder, when is Kate released in Australia? And does anyone have any
spare posters to give to me,  i'll buy you anything that you always wanted from Australia,
 that is if you ever wanted anything to begin with.

I'll shut up now.....It's evapourated..see?

BYE BYE

From the angry dwarf from down under
Piano bashing form the land down under
8)

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 22:29:11 -0600
From: "Jon Tycksen" <jon@ns.cyber-west.com>
Subject: errors in WaEA

cool, there may be some errors in WaEA, and that's cool too. Every Album
probably has a few.  But about the phone ringing, I heard that too, and I
just assumed it was feedback from the distorted bass.  My band recorded an
album a while ago, and the guitar distortion got a ringing like that too.
Well, it could be the phone ringing after all, you know, It's not like I
was there, but hey, that's what I thought.  I'm glad someone else hears
those kinda things too.

jon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 19:55:03 -0700
From: Good Evans <gevans@taunet.net.au>
Subject: questions

Hi, my names Gareth.
Now before I start I have to say that I'm new to this list so I don't
want you guys to bag me 'bout stuff I don't know. I have been a BBF fan
since I first heard "Underground" on the radio. I have both their CD's
and I am planning on getting all their singles as well. Any way I have a
few questions for you guys and girls out there. Hope some one can answer
them.
	1. What make of piano does Ben use? I know it's a Grand but I
don't know what make. It just that in songs like "Brick" the high notes
sound awfully like a cheap piano.
	2. Has the BBF song book been released in Australia? I would love
to learn the songs.
	3. What singles have actually been released? The radio station I
listen to just plays what they like, not what is a single.
	4. Has anyone thought that maybe Brick is about what you want it
to be about? Geez you guys.

	Well that's all from me. C-Ya

P.S. Here's my quote: "Show me the Mosh-pit" B. Folds.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 08:52:29 -0400
From: Arnulf_Koehncke@woodberry.org (Arnulf Koehncke)
Subject: Gigs in Virginia??

Hi there,
this is my first publication on the MA, I've been only on it for a week (I
know I'm late). I am one of BFF few German fans, but unfortunately I missed
both of their gigs in Hamburg (What a sin!!) I am right now spending a tear
at an American school, so does anyone know if there will be any BFF gigs in
or around Charlottesville, VA in the next ten months??
Greetings
			Arnulf
"And the ships hung in the air in exactly the same way that bricks don't."
									D.A.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 09:23:44 EST
From: "Keegan" <knm@kinetic.distillery.com>

Keegan Mills
Kinetic Corporation
240 Distillery Commons
Louisville, KY 40206-1990
E-mail: knm@kinetic.distillery.com
Phone: (502) 719-9537
Fax: (502) 583-1104

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 07:32:32 -0700
From: "Kamp, Marcus S" <Marcus.Kamp@PSS.Boeing.com>
Subject: CD Changer Contents

In my CD changer @ work (or at least waiting to be played today) are:
	De La Soul-"3 Feet High + Rising";
	Depeche Mode-"Violator";
	BFF-"Whatever + Ever Amen" (Ever heard it?:-));
	Marcus Roberts-"Alone w/3 Giants";
	Mary Lydia Ryan-self-titled (a local Seattle artist-check her
out!)
+ that's my 5 cents!

"What a wicked thing to do!"-Ben Folds

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 11:02:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Damflevy@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #459

unsubscribe second request

damflevy@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 15:43:02 -0500
From: Joe Herbster <TBoneGuy@concentric.net>
Subject: The New CD

    I'm just responding to the question asked about what I would like to
hear on the new album of BFF.  So here goes:
    I loved the string quartet that they used at HORDE.  I would really
love it if they could arrange them for the new cd, a couple if not all
of the songs, at least.
    I would like to hear Tom and Mary open, with Emaline as the second
song.  Those two are great songs, especially Emaline, which has passed
up Philosophy as my favorite BFF song.
    I would like to hear them do Theme from Dr. Pyser, that is a great
song to just tap your feet to.
    Speaking of tapping feet, I would also like Bad Idea to be on there.

    I think that something like For All of the Pretty People or the
actual song itself would be nice.  I kind of like it when bands do
instrument switching, it's interesting.
    I know I must be the only person, but for its comical aspect, For
All Of You Who Wear Fanny Packs is a definite must!  (Well, not really,
but I would enjoy hearing that song on the cd, just because it makes me
laugh)
    Well, that's about it for what I think should be on the cd.  I
understand that they will probably want to put mostly brand new stuff
on, but it's inconvenient for us USA people to get a hold of recordings
of the previously listed songs, so it would be nice to have them on a cd
that is made available in the US.  K.  I'm done.

- -CA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 17:59:19 -0400
From: palmerjr@bellatlantic.net
Subject: philosophy

Hello all!
	I was wondering if anyone knows what classical song is played at
the end part of "philosophy."  I do believe it's by Gershwin but I'm not
sure.  I play the piano and ever since I heard this in the song I've had
an overwhelming urge to learn the classical song so any help will be
greatly appreciated!!
					Jackie

"What I've want is what I've not got and what I need is all around me."
						Dave Matthews

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 19:45:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com
Subject: A quick thought on BFF wanting good Horde shows

I am sitting here and wondering...why doesn't Ben Folds Five just hook up a
DAT deck to the PA....or even a cassette deck?  And Im sure that most if not
all places they play is already equipped w/ somethin of this nature.  So, why
is it that they don't want soundboard quality for b-sides on singles.  I
mean, sure, Horde tapers use good equipment, but it's not soundboard.
 Hmmm....Frank?
thanx,
josh