Issue #463 - September 6, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest  Saturday, September 6 1997  Volume 01 : Number 463

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please do
not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

GOING BACK TO SCHOOL?
   If you are returning to school and will be subscribing under a campus
e-mail address, don't forget to unsubscribe your home e-mail address
before you leave.  The unsub process works much more smoothly when you
send the unsub message from the account which you are unsubscribing.

ERROR MESSAGES
 The last couple Armchairs have contained an error message from a
particular user which contains the entire issue being bounced. I have
unsubscribed this user but because the error messages aren't generated for
several days, you can expect to see them for another two or three days
before they run their course. Also, occasionally someone will set up their
vacation responder to send a message automatically replying to any e-mail
they receive saying they are on vacation. When these are configured
incorrectly, the messages wind up back in the Digest every day. I will be
unsubscribing any such user on the first sign of a vacation message in the
Armchair and ask that if you use a vacation responder, please set it to
reply to the "From:" address and not to the "Reply-To:" address.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    The NEWBIE CURSE
    classical song
    new album
    much music
    re:philosophy
    one angry dwarf, and the american revolution (shocking similarities)
    A few answers I hope...
    Re: philospohy
    Hi y'all!
    Piano types...
    Ben off broadway
    Answers to all of your questions
    Gershwin
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #462
    Questions

Date: Thu,  4 Sep 97 21:44:50 PDT
From: evlbison <evlbison@neo.lrun.com>
Subject: The NEWBIE CURSE

>Can someone please tell me about this new cd I've heard
>about??
>Is anyone going to be going to Recovery when they are on
>mail me if you are. And
>is anyone going to the monash uni gigs also mail me.
>And what the hell is Bhagavad Gita???
>And who is singing at the start of Underground The never
>cool in school part and
>the hand me my nose ring, is it ben or Darren???

New CD - Do you mean the compilation CD the BFF is gonna have
a song on?

Bhagavad Gita (I shood lern two spel) - Something like a
Hindu Bible.

Never Cool - Darren starts with the "never cool", Robert
sings the "Been ten years" part, the Ben does the "Love to
mix in circles" thing.

Next time, READ THE PAST ARMCHAIRS BEFORE YOU ASK.

 Later,
    Steve

NO OFFENSE INTENDED TO ANYONE BY ANY OF THIS.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 22:53:18 +0000
From: Stevie Berryman <gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: classical song

the "classical song" part in "Philosophy" is Gershwin's "Rhapsody in
Blue".

the lounge-a-palooza compilation with BF5 singing "She Don't use Jelly"
is due out Oct. 7.

stevie

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 22:56:03 +0000
From: Stevie Berryman <gt5537b@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: new album

if the new album is supposed to be vault stuff i would like to see the
song "Eddie Walker, this is your life".

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 21:25:14 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: much music

Wasn't tonight (Thursday Sept. 4) supposed to be when the repeat of BF5
and That Dog was on Much Music? I checked at 8pm and saw nothing. Well
not nothing. A very cool Beck concert from the Glast Fest. Anybody.
Anybody.
joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 22:42:04 -0500
From: Brad Liggett <bliggett@tfs.net>
Subject: re:philosophy

Hello everyone....

The "classical" song line at the end of Philosophy is Rhapsody in Blue.  Rhapsody was written by George Gershwin.  The song is about 16-17 mintues long and if you are looking to listen to the original version of that line, you have to wait about 15 minutes before it is played.  That is my favorite part of Rhapsody in Blue, which is my favorite song (period), by my favorite composer...that's why I think Philosophy is my favorite Ben Folds Five song.  Have a great day!

Brad Liggett
bliggett@tfs.net

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 23:54:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: BNDVDSN@aol.com
Subject: one angry dwarf, and the american revolution (shocking similarities)

warning: long, rambling, but perhaps slightly amusing

     i was sitting in my american history class as we were going over the
american revolution. I saw the date september '75 on the board and thought
hmmm, bells going off in my head. Well, i figured out the significance in
BFF, and as far as american history is concerned that is the date of the
second continental congress's meeting at which the Declaration of
Independence was written.
- -"I still got  beat up after class" British taxation with out representation,
and the bostob massacre
- -"rather then kiss me you said you'd rather die" The King allowing no
american representation in the parliment.
- -"47inches high"- the relative youth of america at the time.
and tbe chorus obviously relates to the US's dominance globaly, and us
throwing it in Britians face.
     I'll gladly admitt the resemblance is a huge stretch on my part, but
still mildy amusing. I wonder if any other BFF songs have historical
significance? If i find any, i'll promise to post it. : )

                                                                          Ben
Davidson
"My heart is young and proud and black and bold, you better eat it before it
gets cold."      The Mr. T Experience

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 23:46:31 -0400
From: Alden Thomas <althomas@gte.net>
Subject: A few answers I hope...

Heres a few things I've learned concerning some of the questions in the
last Armchair....(as far as I know)....

1)I believe that its Darren who opens Underground (and then Robert and
Ben I think)....

2)Concerning "errors"...they aren't really errors if they put them in
the final mix..they could have easily cut them out. In an interview Ben
said whilst recording the vocals for Stevens Last Night.. someone had
left the phone on and it rang at just the right moment..so they left it
in. Pretty Cool.

3. I believe its a Yamaha Baby Grand that Ben beats up on.

and

4. The musical quote at the end of Philosophy is from Rhapsody in Blue
by Gershwin. Its very hard to play. Im impressed greatly by anyone who
can.

Um..............yeah.

"Penguins ain't natural. Noah didn't take no penguins wit him on da Ark.
Therefore penguins ain't natural. Penguins is manmade." - The State

Alden

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 05:59:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: YoYoTanner@aol.com
Subject: Re: philospohy

>From: palmerjr@bellatlantic.net
>Subject: philosophy
>
>Hello all!
>	I was wondering if anyone knows what classical song is played at
>the end part of "philosophy."  I do believe it's by Gershwin but I'm not
>sure.  I play the piano and ever since I heard this in the song I've had
>an overwhelming urge to learn the classical song so any help will be
>greatly appreciated!!

yar, allow me to ring in, and boy oh boy i hope i'm first.  it's a snippet
from "rhapsody in blue," indeed a gershwin marvel.  you've probably heard it
also on united airlines ads for the past umpteen years.  just for extra
context.

happy music appreciation!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 08:41:27 -0400
From: Jeffrey Gerosky <freefall@epix.net>
Subject: Hi y'all!

I'm new to the list, and this is my first post, so if I'm covering
something that's common knowledge among you all, please forgive me.
Someone asked about the Gershwin quote in "Philosophy"-it's from
"Rhapsody In Blue," and if you're serious about learning it, I hope
you've got some time on you're hands-it's a MOTHER of a piece!

Also, I've read a lot of posts from people who'd love a cd-quality
version of "...Fanny Packs."  It appears (along with "Hava Nagila") on
the single for "Battle of Who Could Care Less."  I think that tune is
hillarious-I almost wrecked my car the first time I heard it!

Cheers,

Jeff

- --
You can't read everything you believe...

The Official FreeFall Home Page:
http://www.epix.net/~freefall

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 21:49:53 -0500
From: john_oc@juno.com
Subject: Piano types...

This is inreference to a question on the list in the last digest...

Ben has always been playing a Baldwin, which as some of you  may know is
a middle quality range piano.  I did notice however that on the Horde
tour...Ben has a new Piano...this one a much better one.  It is a
Steinway and Sons which is used in 90% of the concert halls across the
country.  A great piano.  The reason why some of the notes sound cheap is
because Ben has had the same Baldwin for some 5 odd years, and it is very
beat up.  Just adds to the sound if you ask me.

John Boyer
WOBN-FM 101.5 the ROCK
Asst. Music Director, Triple A Dir. and Research Dir.
Email: John_OC@juno.com   Phone: (614) 823-2969
Westerville, Ohio(Just north of Columbus)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 12:14:20 -0400
From: Heather Hurwitz <hhurwitz@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
Subject: Ben off broadway

Hi Fivers,
	I had a great BF5 experience the other day.  Me and a bunch of BF5 lovers
from the dorm all camped out in the TV lounge and watched BF5 on Conan.  It
was like a big love gathering.  Also, I heard a rumor from one of the
attending fivers that before Ben began playing in BF5 he composed music for
off broadway musicals.  Anyone have any info on this?  Stay cool.

Heather

"I think about my friends sometimes I wish they lived out here, but they
wouldn't dig this town" -Ben Folds Five

get your fill of peanutts on the www:  http://www.cyberdrive.net/~percystar

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 12:45:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: Answers to all of your questions

   You sure do ask a lot of questions for someone from New Jersey...

> From: "Julie Hurst" <sledgie@mailexcite.com>
>
> Can someone please tell me about this new cd I've heard about??

   As reported previously, the band have not started writing for their
next album yet. Caroline is planning to release an album of unused
material that they have. It's due sometime early next year (no date is
set). Also, the band are working with their producer Caleb Southern on a
project called Fear of Pop.

> And what the hell is Bhagavad Gita???

   Go to http://oeonline.com/bff/ and follow "Discography",
"Whatever...", "Kate" and click on Bhagavad Gita. There is an explanation
and a link to more information.

> And who is singing at the start of Underground The never cool in school
> part and the hand me my nose ring, is it ben or Darren???

Darren: I was never cool in school. I'm sure you don't remember me
Robert: And now it's been ten years. I'm still wondering who to be
Ben: And I'd love to mix in circles, cliques and social coterie, that's me
Darren: Hand me my nose ring
  (Robert & Ben: Can we be happy?)
Robert: Show me the mosh pit
  (Darren & Ben: Can we be happy?)
All: We can be happy underground...

> From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
>
> 	You mean, Frank actually knows me by name?!?!? I'm so happy, I
> don't know, I could just.... just....... just..........................
> 		JOYGASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

   Sure, and I don't even hold it against you that you're at U-M. After
all, everyone can't get into Michigan State.

> From: Good Evans <gevans@taunet.net.au>
> 	1. What make of piano does Ben use? I know it's a Grand but I
> don't know what make. It just that in songs like "Brick" the high notes
> sound awfully like a cheap piano.

   Ben has a Steinway at home, which he used on the recording, and he
tours with a Baldwin, both grand pianos. He also has an old spinet at
home, which I think he used on some of the songs.

> 	2. Has the BBF song book been released in Australia? I would love
> to learn the songs.

   Only in Japan, and via the BFF merchandising company, whose number you
couldn't call from Australia even if they had it in stock.

> 	3. What singles have actually been released? The radio station I
> listen to just plays what they like, not what is a single.

   From Whatever: Battle, Kate and Dwarf, in various parts of the world
(mainly the UK). There will be another single impacting radio in the US
in time for the tour.

> 	4. Has anyone thought that maybe Brick is about what you want it
> to be about? Geez you guys.

  Ben says "it's self-explanatory". Personally, I think it's about taking
your dog to the vet for an abortion.

> From: Arnulf_Koehncke@woodberry.org (Arnulf Koehncke)
>
> I am right now spending a tear
> at an American school,

   Most people just spend a lot of money, mainly on beer and CDs.

> so does anyone know if there will be any BFF gigs in
> or around Charlottesville, VA in the next ten months??

   There is a US tour being put together for October thru December. Dates
to be announced soon. Keep watching the Armchair.

   A couple people wrote:

> unsubscribe

   Geez, people, can't you read? Instructions for unsubscribing are at
the beginning of each and every issue of the Armchair.

> From: palmerjr@bellatlantic.net
>
> 	I was wondering if anyone knows what classical song is played at
> the end part of "philosophy."

   It's a few licks of "Rhapsody in Blue", indeed by George Gershwin.

> From: Smarshal1@aol.com
>
> I am sitting here and wondering...why doesn't Ben Folds Five just hook up a
> DAT deck to the PA....or even a cassette deck?  And Im sure that most if not
> all places they play is already equipped w/ somethin of this nature.  So, why
> is it that they don't want soundboard quality for b-sides on singles.  I
> mean, sure, Horde tapers use good equipment, but it's not soundboard.

   They usually tape their shows using mics set up in the house. The
problem at HORDE was they had to turn the stage so quickly because of the
schedule and couldn't set up taping gear. A soundboard feed wouldn't work
because the front-of-house mix is not a complete mix but is only for
reinforcement. The mix the audience hears consists of the FOH, which
contains the vocal mics and instrument pickup, plus the acoustic portion
directly from the piano and drums.  This is one of the reasons that the
band, while allowing taping, does not give soundboard feeds.

  -fjm
                      It sucks me in, it sucks it works

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 12:57:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: KRI1701@aol.com
Subject: Gershwin

Ben plays the a portion from the latter part of Rhapsody in Blue in the song
Philosophy.  Many of you will recognize it as the music from the Delta
commercials.

I could list the contents of my CD changer, but I don't have time--it hold
110 discs.  Besides, the flames wouldn't be worth the effort.

Ken

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:21:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Damflevy@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #462

unsubscribed for the forth time.
haw long is this going to take to get me off your list?

damflevy@aol.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 14:41:09 -0400
From: "John E. Fahey" <jfahey@cyberportal.net>
Subject: Questions

I got a couple questions here:

First of all, I was on Sony's BFF site and in the area where you could
buy shirts and stuff there was a BFF song book. Does anybody have this,
and if so, is it woth the bucks?

Second, could anybody reccomend a mail order company where BFF singles
could be ordered because I've had no luck finding them at stores in my
area.

Thanx!

Oh yeah...here's what's in my player:
Ben Folds Five-Whatever and Ever Amen