Issue #464 - September 6, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest  Saturday, September 6 1997  Volume 01 : Number 464

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please do
not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

GOING BACK TO SCHOOL?
   If you are returning to school and will be subscribing under a campus
e-mail address, don't forget to unsubscribe your home e-mail address
before you leave.  The unsub process works much more smoothly when you
send the unsub message from the account which you are unsubscribing.

ERROR MESSAGES
 The last couple Armchairs have contained an error message from a
particular user which contains the entire issue being bounced. I have
unsubscribed this user but because the error messages aren't generated for
several days, you can expect to see them for another two or three days
before they run their course. Also, occasionally someone will set up their
vacation responder to send a message automatically replying to any e-mail
they receive saying they are on vacation. When these are configured
incorrectly, the messages wind up back in the Digest every day. I will be
unsubscribing any such user on the first sign of a vacation message in the
Armchair and ask that if you use a vacation responder, please set it to
reply to the "From:" address and not to the "Reply-To:" address.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    philosophy
    Phone Ringing
    Crickets
    Theme from Dr. Pyser
    BFF and Tough Times
    Possum Dixon, Rhapsody in Blue, and other responses.
    Info Please

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:38:58 +0000
From: Mark McConville <mwmcconv@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: philosophy

Jackie- It's Rhapsody in Blue.  Gershwin is correct.

	"Every couple nights or so you know you pop into my dreams
	I just can't get rid of you like you got rid of me..."
					-Ben Folds

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 15:05:45 -0400
From: Chris Lopez <chrisl@mnsinc.com>
Subject: Phone Ringing

When I first heard that phone, I thought it was an error too. But after
reading an interview with bff; Ben said that someone had left the studio
phone on and it rang.  The editor could of easily taken it out, but they
deciceded to leave it in since it was on the perfect beat.
Here's part of the interview:
BUM: Also in "Steven's," near the end where the music pauses, there is
the faint sound of a phone ringing. Is there a story behind that? I know
producer Andy Wallace could have easily removed it.
BF: Well, Robert and Darren were doing the background vocals.
RS: We were doing it in the piano room, and the phone was left on, and it
was sitting near us. It rang on the perfect beat, in the entire song, just on
the beat. That was like an act of God... so we left it in.
BUM: How does the actually recording work? I figured you all played at
the same time.
You can all of the interview at:
http://www.rpi.edu/~goodsd/bum/interviews.html

chris

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 15:12:43 -0400
From: Chris Lopez <chrisl@mnsinc.com>
Subject: Crickets

In Cigarette, near the end, I hear crickets.  Has anyone else heard this?
You have to turn the volume up to hear it.  What's up with this?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 12:24:06 PDT
From: "Michael Mohan" <driver8_@hotmail.com>
Subject: Theme from Dr. Pyser

BFF should definitely include Theme from Dr. Pyser on their next cd,
but I think they should take it even further. In addition to the
string quartet- how about a horn section. A trumpet solo would bring
the song beyond perfection. What about adding some tympani in the
background? Maybe the sound of some revving motors and screeching
tires somewhere?

Now I know the song is an instrumental, but in an attempt to spice up
the armchair, I was wondering if anyone wanted to come up with some
lyrics to it and post them? I'm sure BFF would be amused, if they saw
them.

- -michael

in the cd player...
1. Radiohead- O.K. Computer
2. Curtis Mayfield- 'Superfly' Soundtrack
3. Pulp- His 'n' Hers
4. Pell Mell- Interstate
5. Mono Puff- Unsupervised

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 16:18:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Patrick J McDonough <mcdonpj@wfu.edu>
Subject: BFF and Tough Times

Mark wrote:
- ------------
Folds Five lover.  I've been a big fan for about a year.  Ben Folds Five
has really helped me through some tough times, and I'd love to hear about
how others feel about the same topic.  I get a little smile every time I
hear "And don't forget to give me back my black t-shirt..
- ------------
	I recently went through a tough breakup with a girl who once baked
cookies with me to take to Ben Folds Five shows...and a few nights ago,
feeling low, I went down to Barnes and Noble to pick up a book about
"Letting Go" and helping yourself get people of your mind.
	I felt like some reject from an Oprah show picking up such a book,
but figured I'd try anything to keep her off my mind a bit.  Feeling a bit
better by buying the books, I started the drive home, and passed the burnt
out shell of our favorite restaurant, and got sad.  At that moment, the
radio announcer comes on in this booming voice as some nameless band
finishes a song screaming, "New music NOOOOOWWWWW!!! BEN FOLDS FIVE!!!
This is "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces!!!"
	I rolled down the windows, cranked the stereo, and cruised across
town singing along to the "kiss my ass goodbye" portion.  I felt better.

- -Patrick

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 21:45:09 -0500
From: "Matthew Pekarek" <mpekarek@sprynet.com>
Subject: Possum Dixon, Rhapsody in Blue, and other responses.

Hey! This is from a long-time reader of the list. However and ever amen,
this is my first post ever. I wanted to wait until the right time to start
putting my hat into the ring. And it looks like now!

To Alison Ward - I am a fan of the band Possum Dixon. They have been around
for a few years and have released two albums under the Elektra Records
label here in the US. Their first album included the song "Watch the Girl
Destroy" that was released sometime during 1994. Their latest album
"Starmaps" included the truly bitchin' single "Your Emergency's About to
End". Released early last year, it was named to Spin Magazine's list of the
ten best albums of 1996 that nobody knew about. They performed for the dear
departed Minneapolis radio pioneer REV105 and have toured religiously
across the United States. For more information about Possum Dixon (and
Freedy Johnston) dial up the Ultimate Band List at http://www.ubl.com.

To Jackie -

	That wonderful little snippet of Gershwin at the end of philosophy is from
his epic "Rhapsody in Blue".

Everyone- There is a really fabulous audio snippet of Ben Folds in concert
on the Rad Parker "Americans for Radio Diversity" Web Site at
http://www.radparker.com.

See ya later!

Matt

- -What do you do when all your enemies are French?-
		-Missheard Foo Fighters-

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 18:48:06 -0400
From: "kbpierce" <kbpierce@syr.edu>
Subject: Info Please

Yes,
	Please send me info on BF5.  I'm pretty interested.  Thank you -Kevin-