Issue #465 - September 7, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Sunday, September 7 1997   Volume 01 : Number 465

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please do
not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

GOING BACK TO SCHOOL?
   If you are returning to school and will be subscribing under a campus
e-mail address, don't forget to unsubscribe your home e-mail address
before you leave.  The unsub process works much more smoothly when you
send the unsub message from the account which you are unsubscribing.

ERROR MESSAGES
 The last couple Armchairs have contained an error message from a
particular user which contains the entire issue being bounced. I have
unsubscribed this user but because the error messages aren't generated for
several days, you can expect to see them for another two or three days
before they run their course. Also, occasionally someone will set up their
vacation responder to send a message automatically replying to any e-mail
they receive saying they are on vacation. When these are configured
incorrectly, the messages wind up back in the Digest every day. I will be
unsubscribing any such user on the first sign of a vacation message in the
Armchair and ask that if you use a vacation responder, please set it to
reply to the "From:" address and not to the "Reply-To:" address.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Son Volt?
    Ben's Opinion
    Little screwups..
    OOOPS
    just a quick question
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #463
    the guys' addresses and the aussie shows
    where to get imports......
    the philosophy thing and some other stuff
    my cd changer
    Frank's a Trojan?!?!?!?
    HORDE dat question answered.
    Conan O'brien
    Re: Gershwin
    Sessions @ 54th
    Off-topic, but help anyway

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 20:33:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: AndBeFree@aol.com
Subject: Son Volt?

> 1. Son Volt- a band from Mississippi (I think)

I think they are form Burlington, VT because I see them advertised everywhere
here in Burlington..

New band to check out:  Tortoise.

love,

megan the lurker

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 20:37:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: AndBeFree@aol.com
Subject: Ben's Opinion

I read on the DMB mailing list (there is a similar discussion going on about
how the performers feel about fans discussing their personal lives) something
intetresting. Ben was qouted as saying after he read an Armchair that he was
appalled that the people on here would ever discuss how big his hands were
and how they couldn't make some chords or something to that extent..I wonder
how he would feel if hew read some of this issues lately?

love,

megan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 20:58:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: KNULPREK@aol.com
Subject: Little screwups..

Hey. Well, i've found one little screw up that, while we're on the subject, i
thought i'd point out.. at 1:26 of Julianne you hear someone say "Yea, but
that over there" in the very background. If you have a karyoke (i spelt that
wrong) function on your stereo, it makes it easier to hear. Anyway, that's my
input!! See ya..

 -jason

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 21:04:38 -0400
From: Alden Thomas <althomas@gte.net>
Subject: OOOPS

Woops! My bad...we have a Yamaha at home here...just got a little
confused. Listen to other people about the piano. They know better.

Alden

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 18:07:43 PDT
From: "Aaron Bell" <ishot2pak@hotmail.com>
Subject: just a quick question

I've been scanning the posts for a while and I havn't seen any one
mention the song "Segway".  I don't even know if it is a song but bff
played it at the Phoenix HORDE show and it was really cool.

aaron

On the cd player:
Ben Folds Five
Bloodhound Gang- One Fierce Beer Coaster
Barenaked Ladies- Gordon
Toad the Wet Sproket- Coil

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 23:09:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: bobafett@ekx.infi.net
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #463

>Next time, READ THE PAST ARMCHAIRS BEFORE YOU ASK.
>

> Later,
>    Steve
>
>NO OFFENSE INTENDED TO ANYONE BY ANY OF THIS.

        What?  are you too busy to read or answer their simple questions?
well, god-of-the-armchair...don't worry yourself taking a whole two minutes
total reading their questions and responding, i'm sure someone else would be
happy to oblige them.  perhaps they don't have any past armchairs to read,
or feel like taking the time to look them up.  I am sure that you asked some
already-answered questions when you got on the list, so don't be such an ass.

lateron,
jessica

NO OFFENSE INTEDED TO ANYONE BY ANY OF THIS
(its been a long day and i just don't like your condescending tone. sorry)
Jessica B. Musselwhite
bobafett@ekx.infi.net OR
jbmuss01@homer.louisville.edu

"I'm afraid of the dark without you close to me...."  Superchunk from
100,000 Fireflies

"Well I've seen some old friends sorta die or just turn into whatever must
of been inside them, whatever all us had then in common, grew up...we don't
think that way no more."   Ben Folds Five, "Video"

"People say I'm crazy, but I'm not that way inclined."  Madness

"You know i'm cool when all the guys wanna be my friend and every little
girl here, they all wanna hold my hand, but i stole all of my songs,
probably gonna get sued, thats all right....as long as i get SCREWED!!!"
Reel Big Fish "I'm Cool."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 20:30:04 PDT
From: "Petra Starke" <naturalselection@hotmail.com>
Subject: the guys' addresses and the aussie shows

Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there had the email addresses of the
band members - I read somewhere that you could find them on the Sony
site but after looking and looking to no avail I thought I'd consult the
armchair.

Also, is anyone interested in hearing a review of their Adelaide show on
Sep 27? I am going and thought maybe a website admin. or someone would
like to read a review. If so, contact me or whatever.

Cheers, Petra Starke

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 23:34:03 -0700
From: aplauri@juno.com (Philip J. L.)
Subject: where to get imports......

ummm,  i have seen the wheres summer b? single and the bowccl single at
blockbuster music.  i cannot remeber who wanted to know about where to
get em, but if you have one of these close to you, i would check
there.....  another is on cd-now on the net, they have everything........
 so good luck to whoever it was that was looking for the imports.....

philip

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 00:03:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Curt587621@aol.com
Subject: the philosophy thing and some other stuff

well, i 've only been on the list for three months so some of this stuff may
have already been said...i'm sorry in advance if this is the case...
the philosophy thing:  well, the first time i listened to philosophy the end
part seemed familiar to me, but i did not recognize it as gershwin...when i
first heard it, it reminded me of an airline commercial from a few years
back...maybe 5 or so...i don't know..could it be possible that this same part
of this 17 minute song could be used in an airline commercial...i don't
know..maybe it was continental..that's what my friends (who don't listen to
bff) say...once again, i don't know...does anyone remember this?
something else...i read the interview with the group that included the bit
about "steven's..." and the phone...i found it interesting that, in another
part of the interview, it says how internet mailing list members of bff (us)
requested the theme from mr rogers neighborhood as a possible cover....now,
this may not sound so interesting to most, but i think that at the end of
"dwarf" the voice saying "i liked that one" sounds just like mr
rogers....well, whatever and ever amen
                                                 curt
cd player:
blur-blur
radiohead-ok computer
smash mouth- i forget what it's called- fush yu mang?
bff-whatever
empty space

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 01:39:40 -0700
From: EtKreitzer@vassar.edu (Ethan Jon Kreitzer)
Subject: my cd changer

since i like this topic i thought i'd add to, i have a 24 disc changer and
have 14 discs in right now, they are in no order of listening time,  as
follows:

1)Be Here Now- Oasis   2)Tumbleweed Connection- Elton 3)BFF   4) Kate
single with "Mitchell Lane"  5)Greeting from Asbury Park- Springsteen  6)
WAEA  7) "Dyou Know What I Meam" single- Oasis  8) Slanted and Enchanted-
Pavement  9) #1 Record/Radio City- Big Star  10) Spice-Spice Girls   11)
Brutal Youth - Elvis Costello   12) The Songs Of Leonard Cohen  13) It
Takes a Nation of Million To Hold Us Back-  Public Enemy  14) Tim-
Replacements

i endorse all of these and would stand by any flames, ethan jon

- ---------
i poured my heart out
i poured my heart out...
it evaporated--
                         ben folds

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 01:41:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: Frank's a Trojan?!?!?!?

	Aww man! Now I'm gonna have to start rippin on his no-talent,
sorry ass, weak as all hell football team. ;)

ERIC
	"Love is just prolonged lust that causes mental arthritis."
							Anonymous

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 11:56:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: RiffParker@aol.com
Subject: HORDE dat question answered.

<<I am sitting here and wondering...why doesn't Ben Folds Five just hook up a
DAT deck to the PA....or even a cassette deck?>>

I had attempted to do this on HORDE, but quickly realised a few things.
Mainly, soundboard recordings are monophonic. Secondly, they do not
accuratley capture the atmospheric sounds heard on the stage itself.  Ben
seemed to have a similar opinion on the subject. If i'm not mistaken, they
did record some of the shows off of the soundboard, with the future idea of
mixing those tapes with the audience recordings.

rf.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 12:42:30 -0500
From: Christopher Schulte <schulte@winternet.com>
Subject: Conan O'brien

I had heard that bff was recently on conan. this may just have been a
rerun, but if anyone has a recording of that, i would be willing to trade,
or just buy a tape for you.  thanks a bunch.

!NOTE! This is not my e-mail account.  Unfortunately, i made a premature
decision about having a free web page, and i picked a rather crappy server.
 I got the regular crappy mail server with it.  Oh well.
my real e-mail is tjcon@geocities.com

tj
- --
Christopher Schulte
Unix System Administrator

Broad knoweledge base in:
WinNT, Win95, and MacOS Systems

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 13:11:14 EDT
From: jeanius@juno.com (Matt Jeans: A King Among Fools)
Subject: Re: Gershwin

SO WHAT SONG IS IT THAT BEN PLAYS AT THE END OF PHILOSOPHY????
nerves.
oh yeah- and i think "Mitchell Lane" should be on the new album that's
not written yet
"brick" is about Gene splicing
Vince Neil sings the beginning of "underground"
that "ringing" at the end of steven's is actually Andy wallace's pager
going off.

bye.

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 15:01:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: JoanneQ@aol.com
Subject: Sessions @ 54th

Hope this isn't another false alarm....

...but in this week's Entertainment Weekly magazine, they've printed the PBS
Sessions @ 54th show schedule. BFF (& Beck,too) are slated to be televised
November 8. That gives us all 2 months to get the ol' VCR in prime condition.

Joanne

"...lyrics or text were created to detract from the repetition inherent in
modern instrumental pop music..."

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 16:56:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brad654@aol.com
Subject: Off-topic, but help anyway

I need to find out a very specific peice of info on the band Cake. Anyone
know of a Cake mailing list or newsgroup?

Thanks--
Brad