Issue #466 - September 8, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Monday, September 8 1997   Volume 01 : Number 466

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please do
not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

GOING BACK TO SCHOOL?
   If you are returning to school and will be subscribing under a campus
e-mail address, don't forget to unsubscribe your home e-mail address
before you leave.  The unsub process works much more smoothly when you
send the unsub message from the account which you are unsubscribing.

ERROR MESSAGES
 The last couple Armchairs have contained an error message from a
particular user which contains the entire issue being bounced. I have
unsubscribed this user but because the error messages aren't generated for
several days, you can expect to see them for another two or three days
before they run their course. Also, occasionally someone will set up their
vacation responder to send a message automatically replying to any e-mail
they receive saying they are on vacation. When these are configured
incorrectly, the messages wind up back in the Digest every day. I will be
unsubscribing any such user on the first sign of a vacation message in the
Armchair and ask that if you use a vacation responder, please set it to
reply to the "From:" address and not to the "Reply-To:" address.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Son Volt
    Where did he go?
    cussing, swearing and !@$%!!* OH MY
    Conan???
    asses!!!!
    Conan O'Brien
    re: Ben's opinion and this weird cd thing...
    i need help with quotes
    The Five's in Bloomington
    Trades?
    Re: Son Volt?
    Things that make you go "Hmmmmm...."
    Just responding...
    SON VOLT
    My Answer to "crickets"
    De ole CD changa
    Ben on CBC2's "RadioSonic"
    Regarding Gershwin
    Huh?

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 22:17:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: TheDanOne@aol.com
Subject: Son Volt

I don't know who wanted to know where Son Volt is from, but I know Jay
Farrar's previous band Uncle Tupelo was based in Chicago. (Uncle Tupelo broke
up a few years back and spawned Son Volt and Wilco.)

Dan Haugen

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 22:42:09 -0400
From: "kbpierce" <kbpierce@syr.edu>
Subject: Where did he go?

I tried e-mailing the band last night and according to the daemon, the
address bffmail@aol.com is wrong.  Does anyone know how to get a hold of
them?

CD Player
Jeff Buckley-Grace
BNL-Rock Spectacle
Ben Folds five-whatever, and ben Folds five
Beck-Odelay

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 23:15:26 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: cussing, swearing and !@$%!!* OH MY

Hi y'all.
I don't know if this would have been as noticeable if you didn't own
BF5's self-titled LP first, but I am a little disappointed in some of the
lyrical choices made on "Whatever." Let me begin by saying there are
places on the LP where some obscenity or another HAS made me laugh, what
with all of its bluntness. My only concern, if that's what you'd like to
call it, is that it seems to signify laziness to a degree. The crudest
words always appear to be the easiest choice. Look at their first LP. IT
IS GREAT. If there are "swear words" though I don't really remember. They
found such clever ways to say someone is terrible or that something made
them mad. Look at their second LP. Again, IT IS GREAT. This LP is
literally chock full of them though. I suppose it could be that they
always really enjoyed swearing in their songs but simply couldn't get
away with it on their first LP but after some success were offered more
freedom. This same problem has infected The Beautiful South. Still one of
my favorite groups, but where their writing was once something so
admirably creative, now they write songs like "Don't Marry Her, **** Me
Instead" that are just pathetic. It could just be that I am one of the
FEW remaining people turned off by swearing. I tend to find it so
terribly infantile.
Just my **$#*^)#& opinion. What's yours. Let the flames begin.
joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 20:23:10 -0600
From: Paul Flatt <pflatt@flash.net>
Subject: Conan???

Ok, guys.. I hate to do this to y'all... but I ask of you a favor...  Who
taped Conan with BFF?  Cuz, I missed it...  =-(  My tv guide doesn't list
guests on talk/variety shows, so I rely on word of mouth, and somehow, it
didn't get to me in time...  Anyway, point being, who has a copy they would
be willing to make a copy off of and send to me?  I will pay for shipping
and the cost of the tape,
of course, or I have some stuff to trade if you are interested.  Or, if you
just want to trade stuff (I am always looking for bootlegs, pictures,
posters, articles, or videos) please email me at stacyf@u.arizona.edu.
Thanks so much!!!

Stacy

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 23:28:00 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: asses!!!!

After Steve said "read the past armchairs before you ask,"  Jessica told
him to not be an ass. I agree that if someone doesn't want to simply give
an answer, they shouldn't, but dear Jessica, bad day or not, I don't
think you get to decide if someone's an ass and call them it on the list.
What was that quote? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I
think it may be impossible to call someone an ASS without actually
joining the gang. CAUTION!!! CAUTION!!!!
Peace, Love, BF5?
joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 12:38:54 -0500
From: Tj <tjcon@geocities.com>
Subject: Conan O'Brien

I had heard that bff was recently on conan. this may just have been a
rerun, but if anyone has a recording of that, i would be willing to trade,
or just buy a tape for you.  thanks a bunch.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 03:26:28 PDT
From: "Petra Starke" <naturalselection@hotmail.com>
Subject: re: Ben's opinion and this weird cd thing...

Re: Ben's opinion re. his hands

I think Ben is completely justified in feeling appalled, or perhaps not
appalled, just stupefied - wouldn't you be if you walked in on someone
discussing, in detail, the size of your fingers? Artists have always had
this problem of somehow becoming bigger than (or more popular than)
their art - Ben Folds is yet another victim...

Re: this cd thing

Not to be rude, but what is the deal with this cd thing you armchair
guys have got going on? I mean this listing of what's in your individual
cd players. Is this an armchair tradtition or something? Please
enlighten a newcomer to Uncle Walter's...

Cheers,
Petra

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 11:03:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jessica237@aol.com
Subject: i need help with quotes

hey guys! what's going on? not too much around here. started senior year in
high school this week....not too exciting. anyways, i need to pick a senior
quote to put in the yearbook. and i am DYING to use a ben folds five
quote....but i don't know which one to use! i need help from you guys. please
let me know which ben folds five lyrics you think would be appropriate for me
to use as my senior quote. i guess you could just email them to me, so we
don't clutter up the armchair with this. thanks a million for your help! have
a nice day.         --jess

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 10:42:25 -0500 (EST)
From: OfftheFront <gooley@indiana.edu>
Subject: The Five's in Bloomington

So, yesterday morning I go down to Kirkwood Avenue below my apartment here
in Bloomington, Indiana to catch the first band of a day-long festival,
Hoosierfest.  A decent band, but they're just playing way too early in the
morning (9:30), so there's hardly a person paying any attention.  Nobody
was in front of the stage and only fifteen or so were sitting on the curb
watching.

As it turns out, two of the people were Ben and Kate.  I was on my bike
heading to work and just happened to have Whatever and Ever Amen in my
back pocket to play at work, so I went over to Ben and introduced myself,
we exchanged words briefly and I asked him to draw on his own photo inside
the CD sleeve.  He did.  Glasses and a Fu Manchu.  I asked if there were
going to be any surprise shows in town, but he said no, that they wouldn't
be playing any shows until late Fall.

I felt silly, but, still, kind of a cool experience.  I have friends who
work out at Echo Park, so, if I hear anything interesting about exactly
what they're recording, etc, I'll let you all know.

Take care.

Greg

- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-
It matters not whether you win or lose;
what matters is whether I win or lose.
				-Darin Weinberg

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 12:10:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: MasterAEPi@aol.com
Subject: Trades?

Looking for Soul Coughing, 7mary3 and all other bands!!!!!!!!

If anyone has the following shows please contact me!
only if they are good quality !  ALL DMB & DAVE & TIM
thanks

Can ANYONE MAKE ME A COMPILATION -GREAT SOUND TAPE WITH THE FOLLOWING SONGS
ON THEM????THANKS

Song "2001"
1. 3/1/93 chapel hill
2. 3/17/93 floodzone
3. 3/27/93 springfest

Song "Route 2"
1. 12/11/93 williams college

Song "Stairway to heaven"
1. 10/5/94 club soda
2. 11/7/94 irving plaza

Song "Tree Of Life"
1. 5/27/93

Please e-mail me asap!
thanks

JUST Check out my WEBSITES! it will be worth your time!

George Ackerman

 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/MasterAEPi/index4.html">MasterAEPi's Link Pag
e</A>
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/MasterAEPi/index3.html">MasterAEPi's Video Ho
me Page</A>
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/MasterAEPi/index2.html">MasterAEPi's Bootleg
Tape list</A>
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/MasterAEPi/index.html">MasterAEPi's Home Page
</A>
 <A HREF="http://www.tapetrading.com/lists/m/a/masteraepi@aol.com.html">George
 Ackerman's Tape List</A>

ALSO Looking For

Know of any Soul Coughing Squirrel Nut Zippers, Cake,  DMB, ben folds 5 ,
toadies, weezer, or alice in chains, Seven Mary Three?

Looking for Bootlegs, digests and fan clubs???

how would i get their autographs, bootleg tapes, and videos ?

   thanks
   george

  MasterAEPi@Aol.com

  MasterAEPi's Home Page

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 97 12:54:56 -0500
From: Dan Goodspeed <goodsd@rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: Son Volt?

Son Volt is from Louisiana, they're really a pretty big band.  I've seen
them on TV at least a dozen times.  They formed when the band Uncle
Tupelo (which started the entire "No Depression" movement) broke up,
sending frontman Jeff Tweedy to start Wilco and Jay Farrar to make Son
Volt.  They're kind of alt-country.

| BUM: www.rpi.edu/~goodsd/bum.html |

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 14:16:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: Things that make you go "Hmmmmm...."

	I was playing BFF's first CD for a couple of my friends for the
first time, and one of them spurts out, "You know, this sounds like RENT."
I was momentarily shocked and stunned at the analogy, then I stopped and
listened to it. I figure, the boys could get a pretty phat lawsuit going
if they wanted to, but that's mere conjecture. Anyway, that's my little
bit for the day. Laters!

ERIC
	"Love is just prolonged lust that causes mental arthritis."
							Anonymous

Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 13:49:47 -0500
From: Joe Herbster <TBoneGuy@concentric.net>
Subject: Just responding...

    Dear Armchairians,
    As you all may already know, it is time for me to say my piece on
what has been going on 'round the Armchair.  Sorry.  You can scroll
through this if you feel so inclined.
    1.  Yes, if you have not yet been informed, it is indeed Rhapsody in
Blue that closes the oh so wonderful song Philosophy.  That song was
composed by George Gershwin and can be bought at any cd retailer in the
country, pretty much.  If you like that song, check out Gershwin's
American in Paris, you can usually find the two songs on the same cd.
    2.  My piece on Brick:  I would love to buy into the whole abortion
thing, but I just can't see how the line "Noe that I've found someone,
I'm feeling more alone..." ties into that whole idea.  I personally feel
that it is about aids.  Anyone who wants to hear my detailed explanation
on that can e-mail and I will give you the whole scoop.
    3. "Steven's Last Night In Town" has what sounds to be a phone, or
pager, or whatever ringing in the background towards the end of the
song, and I believe I could hear some giggling from the boys when this
even occurs.  I am pretty sure that the album was recorded at Ben's
house so the phone ringing is a definite possibility if he forgot to
turn off the ringer.
    4.  Those "crickets" at the end of Evaporated are not your
imagination, I hear them too.  Again, if the album was recorded at his
house, and he had a window open or door open, then you could probably
deduce that he was recording the song at night, and the sounds from
outside were picked up on the mic.
    Well, I could go on forever, but I really don't feel like boring you
all to that extent so I will go.
    But to evlbison:
    Lay off the newbie's back.  They just want to be as informed and
cool as you are bud.  Thanks.
    K.  I'm done.

- -CA
    "I'm gonna bring that tasty hi-hat work on in... RIGHT NOW!!!"
                                        -Darren

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 23:50:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com

They aren't from Mississippi or Vermont.  I know for a fact that they are
from St. Louis (more specifically East Alton or Belleville, Illinois).  They
played the St. Louis scene for a while and needless to say are now signed to
a big label, which I don't know.  Oh yeah, also some members are from Uncle
Tupelo.  Ok, later,
josh

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 15:21:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Phishrman1@aol.com
Subject: My Answer to "crickets"

I think the reason for the crickets was because they recorded at their house
and it was at night so there were crickets....

just an idea....

jared
http://members.aol.com/phishrman1/BenFolds5.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 15:51:34 -0400
From: dAVE BECK <drbeck@ibm.net>
Subject: De ole CD changa

I know all of you faithful armchair readers want to see this group of
words: RHAPSODY IN BLUE. AHHHHH! i havent seen something repeated that
much since the latest preview for Leave it to Beaver!
oh well
sorry for taking up your time....
oh yeah,
in my changer (if i had one)

G Love and Special Sauce (self titled)
BFF, both albums
Ben Harper (All three albums)
and all 40 bob Dylan albums...hehehe

thanx!
Officer Friendly

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 17:11:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: mayns@netcom.ca
Subject: Ben on CBC2's "RadioSonic"

	I managed to both listen to and tape the BFF segment on CBC2 Sturday night (no toronto film festival for me).  I got to hear "fair" (never heard that one on the radio) and an approx. 10 minute interview w/ ben about the band, robert and minor threat, getting started, pianos, and being a scrappy sissy.  Acording to the interviewer, ben is now spending his summer vacation working on an intrumental ablum at Echo Park Studios in Indiana.  Cool.
	The whole audio tape is about 15 minutes, and if anyone is interested in gettign a copy, i'm looking to trade.  Send me a e-mail and we'll hook something up.  Please remeber that Canada is another country, so postage is a little bit more.

	Stay golden,
	John Maynard

In the CD palyer:
Ben Folds Five
Radiohead
Save Ferris
Dave Brubeck (like to hear ben cover this)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 18:27:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Aron Reaboi <dreaboi@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
Subject: Regarding Gershwin

the gershwin quote at the end of Philosophy is from Rhapsody In Blue
(1932, I think). also, the opening few bars of Selfless... are from Take
Five, a very famous song by Paul Desmond off Dave Brubeck's Time Out LP
(1959).

I think this topic is interesting as well, so here's what's in my 7 disc
changer:

1. Charlie Haden & Pat Methany/BEYOND THE MISSOURI SKY (1997).
2. Charlie Haden & Quartet West/HAUNTED HEART (1991).
3. David Byrne & Brian Eno/MY LIFE IN THE BUSH OF GHOSTS (1981).
4. Beach Boys/PET SOUNDS SESSIONS (Bootleg, 1966).
5. Ben Folds Five/WHATEVER AND EVER AMEN (1997).
6. Sun Ra & His Solar Arkestra/OTHER PLANES OF THERE (1964).
7. James Taylor/MUDSLIDE SLIM AND THE BLUE HORIZON (1971).

(anyone out there that's into sun ra or charlie haden email me!)

thanks
dave

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 19:55:04 -0400
From: "John E. Fahey" <jfahey@cyberportal.net>
Subject: Huh?

I was searching for bff singles on Music Blvd. and one of the imports
that was listed was something with a title of 'S/T'. Anybody know what
this is. Another thing about the imports they had listed. I belive that
all of them are from England. Anybody know if the England singles are
the same as the ones here in the states?

Thanx!
- -John