Issue #468 - September 9, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Tuesday, September 9 1997   Volume 01 : Number 468

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please do
not post unsubscribe requests to the list itself! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

GOING BACK TO SCHOOL?
   If you are returning to school and will be subscribing under a campus
e-mail address, don't forget to unsubscribe your home e-mail address
before you leave.  The unsub process works much more smoothly when you
send the unsub message from the account which you are unsubscribing.

ERROR MESSAGES
 The last couple Armchairs have contained an error message from a
particular user which contains the entire issue being bounced. I have
unsubscribed this user but because the error messages aren't generated for
several days, you can expect to see them for another two or three days
before they run their course. Also, occasionally someone will set up their
vacation responder to send a message automatically replying to any e-mail
they receive saying they are on vacation. When these are configured
incorrectly, the messages wind up back in the Digest every day. I will be
unsubscribing any such user on the first sign of a vacation message in the
Armchair and ask that if you use a vacation responder, please set it to
reply to the "From:" address and not to the "Reply-To:" address.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Bloomington correction...
    re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #465
    Rhapsody in Blue
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #466
    Re: cussing, swearing and !@$%!!* OH MY
    UM v. MSU
    SEESIONS on PBS with ben and co.

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 09:24:08 -0500 (EST)
From: OfftheFront <gooley@indiana.edu>
Subject: Bloomington correction...

Sorry, everyone.  I assumed that the woman Ben was with when I saw him was
his wife when, in fact, the lovely lady was a friend of his who reads the
Armchair.  She kindly sent me a message saying hello and correcting me.

Tschus.

Greg Ooley

- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-
It matters not whether you win or lose;
what matters is whether I win or lose.
				-Darin Weinberg

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 97 10:55:44 EDT
From: "Jason Kilts" <Jason.Kilts@css.unc.edu>
Subject: re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #465

| Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 01:41:52 -0400 (EDT)
| From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
| Subject: Frank's a Trojan?!?!?!?
|
| 	Aww man! Now I'm gonna have to start rippin on his
| no-talent,
| sorry ass, weak as all hell football team. ;)
|
| ERIC

   Oh, no.  We Michigan graduates who happen to love Ben Folds Five will soon
be disowning our dear Eric.  Frank's a Spartan, not a Trojan.  Buckeyes,
Irish, and Spartans.  How could you forget those?
   And I don't think any of us are really in any position to rip on Frank for
anything.  I want to take this chance (albeit an embarrassing SouthernCal/MSU
mix-up chance) to thank Frank for everything he has done for us.  The
Armchair, the homepage, the insider info....  None of it would have happened
(at least this well) without Frank.
  (I can't believe I just said that about a Spartan...)
Jason Kilts

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 07:45:21 -0700
From: "Kamp, Marcus S" <Marcus.Kamp@PSS.Boeing.com>
Subject: Rhapsody in Blue

If anyone's interested, there's a recent revamp of Gershwin's "Rhapsody
In Blue" by Marcus Roberts on his CD "Portraits In Blue" (Sony, 1996).
He was Wynton Marsalis's pianist + ranks right up there w/Ben in terms
of what he's doing for the instrument.  This version is sort of what
Gershwin would have written if he'd grown up blind in New Orleans (like
Marcus Roberts:-)).
I really don't hear the quote of "Take 5" @ the beginning of Selfless.
"Take 5" is in 5/4, while Selfless is a waltz.
Also, I know Uncle Tupelo is from St. Louis + I think Son Volt was
formed in Chicago, so where are the Louisiana + Vermont guesses coming
from?

Go Blue:-)!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:07:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: ryan andrew moore <ramoore1@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #466

Let's get it straight once and for all.  Uncle Tupelo is from Belleville,
IL, which is on the Illinois side of the Mississip across from St.
Louis. Hence, all the references to that part of the Midwest.

An old time UT fan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 13:39:37 -0400
From: "Zachary S. Walker" <zwalker@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: cussing, swearing and !@$%!!* OH MY

This is not a flame, Joe, but it is a disagreement.
As Ben, Darren, and Robert have said many, many, times, WEAEA is a much
more HONEST album than their debut. As you said, they had to be cautious as
to what they said on their first album because they were new to the game
(shit is all they say, and they only say it once, Where's Summer B). Thus,
although it may be more challenging to write without curse words, who ever
wants to right challenging music? Most people write what they feel, they
don't sit down and go "Hmmm, how could I make this more challenging?" They
just write and see what turns up. I happen to love the foul language on
Whatever. I use curse words in my normal, everyday conversations, and
apparently Ben and the boys do too. It adds a very informal style to the
songs as if the band is having a casual conversation with you and I think
it's fuckin incredible.
"Got nowhere but home to go, got Ben Folds on my radio right now."-A. F.
Duritz
Peace,
Zach
Changer: It's only a three disc.
Blues Traveler "Live From the Fall" Disc one
God Street Wine "Red"
The Virginia Gentlemen "Out On The Street"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 12:52:40 -0600
From: Tina Archer <EPA2324@epa.state.il.us>
Subject: UM v. MSU

Okay Frank and Eric, sorry to do this to you (and everyone else who has
to read this), but as anyone who is anyone knows, the best Big Ten
School is the University of Illinois- - GO ILLINI!!!!!  Of course, we won't
mention their dismal football team this year  : - )  But mark my words . .
BIG TEN Champs in basketball in 1998 and dare I say, National Champs??
Okay enough of my dreaming and off-subject material- - don't yell at me.
Bye, Tina

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 17:39:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Keyserdan1@aol.com
Subject: SEESIONS on PBS with ben and co.

I read this in the latest issue of ZENTERTAINMENT. Hope this clears things
up.

        "SESSIONS airs on your area's
         PBS station, and features intimate performance and
         interviews with some of today's best musicians. Hosted by
         a ZEN-favorite, Chris Douridas of Santa Monica's KCRW, the
         hourlong show's upcoming schedule includes performances by
         Me'Shell NdegeOcello & CAFE TACUBA (9/13), Joe Jackson
         (10/4), Sinead O'Conner & WORLD PARTY (10/11), GIPSY KINGS
         & SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS (10/18), BECK & BEN FOLDS FIVE (11/8),
         and Fiona Apple & LUCIOUS JACKSON (11/22). This Byrne
         session is scheduled to air on November 15th."

- -Hope this helps.

- -Daniel