Issue #470 - September 10, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest Wednesday, September 10 1997 Volume 01 : Number 470

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

GOING BACK TO SCHOOL?
   If you are returning to school and will be subscribing under a campus
e-mail address, don't forget to unsubscribe your home e-mail address
before you leave.  The unsub process works much more smoothly when you
send the unsub message from the account which you are unsubscribing.

PERSONAL ATTACKS
   Let's keep the personal attacks and barbs out of the Armchair. If you
have something to say to someone, send it via private e-mail. All are
welcome to discuss Ben Folds Five here and no question is a dumb question
if you don't know the answer. Of course, it would be appreciated if you'd
do a little research of your own first. Most of the commonly-asked
questions are answered in various resources found on the web, and I
usually recommend http://oeonline.com/bff/ as a good starting point. There
are links to lots of people's BFF pages, including some good FAQs.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    DMB
    missed armchair
    [none]
    whoo hooo!
    A newbie <uh-oh!> with a ? or 2
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #467
    BF5 on Sessions-54th St.
    Recovery
    Bus Stop
    re: Zach's quote...
    the five taking five = cool!
    Good Old Armchair #462
    Chuck Folds is a good MUSICIAN
    Not Brick!
    Son Volt
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #467
    dot! where are you?

Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 21:36:36 -0400
From: "John E. Fahey" <jfahey@cyberportal.net>
Subject: DMB

I've got two questions:
1) Since I know that there are some piano players out there on the list,
I was wondering if anyone could give me that name of an on-line store
taht sells sheet music. The reason for this being that first of all I
can't find one and second of all there are no stores anywhere close to
me that sell sheet music.

2) I know this doesn't really have anything to do with BFF, but could
someone tell me if there's a good Dave Matthews Band list out there?

Thanx!

*Submit any and all chain letters to me at 'jfahey@cyberportal.net' for
my chain letters page. (http://www.cyberportal.net/jfahey/chain/main.htm

- -John

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 21:52:28 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: missed armchair

Hi folks. To avoid an onslaught of messages could someone with a last
name starting with a J, K, or L please send me the armchair from Sunday,
Monday.

Thanks, Joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 21:01:33 -0500 (CDT)
From: Skip Allums <mallums@tiger.lsuiss.ocs.lsu.edu>
Subject: [none]

 howdy all. i was wondering, would any of you happen to have some BFF
guitar chord progressions (or tab even!) from WAaEA? i found "Battle of
Who Could Care Less" through the links on Peanutt's page. if any of you
fellow fivers can help, i'll send you some beatles, ccr, joni mitchell, or
lemonheads tab stuff.....

 thank you!!!!

Skip Allums... Protector of the Pink Jelly Beans, Founder of the OOTI
(Organization Of the Truly Insane), and President of Skipland.
                Beatles Fan... Root Beer Man.
        "Gloria in Vanillum" (glory be to vanilla)
        "qui me amat, amat et canem meam"  (love me, love my dog)
mallums@tiger.lsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 22:33:18 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: whoo hooo!

Yo!
First, let me again state, both BF5 albums are great. My post regarding
the influx of swearing, especially on "Whatever" did not say they should
have challenged themselves in their writing. Of course I want to hear the
passion in a writer's words. I don't think it's pathetic that people use
swear words to express themselves, I just think it's pathetic that for so
many people it's the only way they express themselves. Their vocabulary
is LITERALLY  so limited that  swearing has replaced and filled every
emphasis and exclamation. My overall comment is that BF5 seem able to do
great work with or without and that I, PERSONALLY, am at least a little
dissapointed with portions of "Whatever." Could I imagine hearing songs
like "Dwarf" and "Dumped" any other way?  NO. Could those same songs been
written without swearing? NO. Those were choices. I believe there are
others.

joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 21:43:05 -0600
From: Bryan Hall <hallbros@rapidnet.com>
Subject: A newbie <uh-oh!> with a ? or 2

OK, here's my first post to the Armchair, and I'll try to keep it short.

First: What's the best place (in your opinion) to order BFF CDs online?
I've looked at CD-Now, the Sony site that's linked from the official BFF
page, and maybe somewhere else. I just want to get the best
price/service/whatever.

To avoid (hopefully) asking the repetitive questions that are the bane
of everyone's existance, what BFF websites should I look at the get the
most info?

In case anybody's curious, I got started on BFF after hearing about them
on the Dave Matthews Band mailing list (Nancies). So, I taped the
appearance on Conan the other night, and I got hooked on The Battle of
Who Could Care Less, and now I feel the need to drop some $$$ on the
CDs. (and are the imports from CDNow worth my money?)

Well, that's about it. If anybody wants to get me started in BFF tape
trades, I've got some DMB, and some more coming soon, + a few Agents of
Good Roots shows.

Thanks for listening (figuratively) and any help y'alls can give me!
- --
Bryan Hall		hallbros@rapidnet.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 23:29:25 -0500
From: john_oc@juno.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #467

I noticed that Belle and Sebastian is going to be on "Sessions"!!!!

If any of you haven't heard this album...buy it.  It is my favorite disc
right now.  For a long time it had been Radiohead - OK Computer, but now
it is Belle and Sebastian.

If any one knows more about this band, and its plans since the recent
fold of Enclave, let me know.  I also want to know about their old stuff.
 Especially you British readers, since they are from your neck of the
woods.

Thanks!!

In CD player...
Nick Drake - Time of No Reply
Radiohead - OK Computer
Blur - Leisure
Belle and Sebastian - If you're Feeling Sinister
Spiritualized - Pure Phase
Sunny Day Real Estate - LP2
Vic Chesnutt - Drunk
Thirteen)

If there are any Spiritualized, Nick Drake or Chesnutt fans out there,
WRITE ME!!!

John Boyer
WOBN-FM 101.5 the ROCK
Asst. Music Director, Triple A Dir. and Research Dir.
Email: John_OC@juno.com   Phone: (614) 823-2969
Westerville, Ohio(Just north of Columbus)

"Call it what you want, you'll never fool anyone with what you've got."
- --Luxury

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 23:54:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Keyserdan1@aol.com
Subject: BF5 on Sessions-54th St.

Hi. I found this in the latest issue of Zentertainment...Hope this clears up
any questions....

        "SESSIONS airs on your area's
         PBS station, and features intimate performance and
         interviews with some of today's best musicians. Hosted by
         a ZEN-favorite, Chris Douridas of Santa Monica's KCRW, the
         hourlong show's upcoming schedule includes performances by
         Me'Shell NdegeOcello & CAFE TACUBA (9/13), Joe Jackson
         (10/4), Sinead O'Conner & WORLD PARTY (10/11), GIPSY KINGS
         & SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS (10/18), BECK & BEN FOLDS FIVE (11/8),
         and Fiona Apple & LUCIOUS JACKSON (11/22). This Byrne
         session is scheduled to air on November 15th."

- -Hope this helps.

- -Daniel

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 22:48:10 -0700
From: "Julie Hurst" <sledgie@mailexcite.com>
Subject: Recovery

Who in Australia watches Recovery?? Does anyone know their middle names (except Darren's
I know his) and does anyone know Darren's grilfriend's name. And don't tell me to
read past issues as i don't have them or the time, my time is very limited and it's
amazing I can write to this so nuh!!
Also my friend is looking for a email buddie she's lonely, her email is choogahead@mailexcite.com
tell her Julie sent you and she's really nice so don't worry.
~Me

http://www.mailexcite.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 03:36:26 -0500
From: Dan Mauer <dmauer@earthlink.net>
Subject: Bus Stop

I actually sent Chuck ten bucks for all three CD's, and DAMN!  I was
totally expecting "the great musician's brother's band"... but these
guys seriously rock!  All three albums, especially the self-titled one
and "Miracle Time" (which contains a WONDERFUL cover of "You're a Mean
One, Mister Grinch")... excellent funked-out bluesy rock stuff.  I urge
you all to contact chuck and get ahold of Bus Stop CD's... they're
another in the lengthening line of bands I've heard recently that really
deserve to be a LOT more famous than they are. Oh, and fans of the
unreleased BFF tune "Eddie Walker, This Is Your Life"... Eddie Walker
plays drums for Bus Stop.  Oh, and Tom & Mary are thanked in the liner
notes. :)  Wacky, huh?

Anyways... the other sorta-BFF-related band that has been mentioned
recently is The Gladhands, on whose newest album Robert Sledge plays
bass for several tracks, and background vocals for one song... and I
would also like to express my big ol' recommendation of these fine young
fellows.  ESPECIALLY people who are into Jellyfish... they have a very
similar pop sensibility, albeit a little bit more, er, 'funky'.  The new
disc is "La Di Da", and is absolutely worth picking up.

While I'm here, I guess I'll ask a question... or maybe more like make a
request... I am INTENSELY curious as to what 'unused material' means,
according to Caroline Records.  Are they planning to just remaster the
original publishers' demos from the first album (incl. Kalamazoo,
Guilty, Cool Whip, Never Leaving Silver Street, Eddie Walker, Emaline,
etc.), or is the band actually going to re-record this stuff?  or is it
completely different?  Anyways, if anyone has a clue, please post... and
if noone has a clue, then anyone who manages to meet the boys or their
management in the near future, please ask them!

Oh yeah -- the wonderful CD changer.
1. Zoo People, "Sage" (a GREAT Los Angeles band)... 2. Bus Stop, self
titled... 3. Billy Joel, "Piano Man"... 4. Fig Dish, "That's What Love
Songs Often Do"... 5. Ani Difranco, "Living In Clip" disc 1... 6. RENT
soundtrack, disc 1

OK, I'm FINALLY gonna shut up.  Bye, all.

- -dan.

- --
      _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._            _.,-*~'`^'`~*-,_
dmauer@earthlink.net
                       `~-,_     '`        _.,     `~-,_               _
        Daniel P. Mauer     `'~*-,._.,-*~'`             `'~*-,._.,-*~'`
             "Mental health is overrated." -- Barenaked Ladies
	  Naked Harmony Homepage: http://home.earthlink.net/~dmauer/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 03:29:38 PDT
From: "Petra Starke" <naturalselection@hotmail.com>
Subject: re: Zach's quote...

Zach - that quote you wrote in a past issue along the lines of "Got
nowhere but home to go, got BFF on my radio right now" was by Adam
Duritz? IE: Adam Duritz of the Beastie Boys? Have I got the right Duritz
here? If so, when (on what album/song/whatever) did he say that?

Cheers,

On the cd player: (guess I'll join in with this fad)
1. Beck - Odelay
2. BFF - BFF (too poor to afford WEAEA...sob sob)(their first one still
rocks, though)
3. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
4. Bob Dylan - Bringing it all Back Home

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 03:42:46 PDT
From: "Petra Starke" <naturalselection@hotmail.com>
Subject: the five taking five = cool!

Whoever said they'd like to see the five doing Dave Brubeck - I heartily
agree! Ben Folds doing 'Take Five' would be fantastic if they could do
it...hope they read this and take the hint! ;)

Cheers, Petra

PS: still looking all over town for their addresses...any clues?

PPS: hanging off the edge of my barstool for their Adelaide show -
anyone here going?

PPPS: does anyone else kinda sorta think that Ben sounds a little like
Weird Al Yankovic? Verrrrrry cool.....

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 07:49:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mitch Armbruster <marmbru@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Good Old Armchair #462

Issue #462 must sure be popular because  I have gotten it three times!  Of
course twice, it was fully quoted in a return message.  Let's not get lazy
there folks!

To start another thread about lyric interpretation, some of you may have
read Ben's description of Missing the War on WAEA:

 "This is a song left over from the first album. It's really the sister
song to 'Last Polka' on the first album."

Does anybody know why this would be a sister song? Just wondering.

- - Mitch

And, In my oh-so-modern dual tape deck is...
BFF Irving Plaza show
Godfathers - Birth, School, Work, Death

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 97 8:48:55 EDT
From: "Jason Kilts" <Jason.Kilts@css.unc.edu>
Subject: Chuck Folds is a good MUSICIAN

Janet wrote:
| Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 23:38:04 -0700
| From: Janet <LemonDrp@pacbell.net>
| Subject: chuck folds is a good man
| Hey eye candies,
| I was one of the people that sent stuff to Mrs. Folds that
| Chuck had
| asked for.  I only sent a promo tape, a sticker, and a
| note asking if
| someone could respond by email or whatever to let me know
| that they had
| gotten my package.  Instead I find this superduper
| envelope in the mail
| that said "Folds" as the sender.  I get all excited and
| look inside to
| find that Chuck had sent me 3 Bus Stop CDs and a cassette.
|  I only
| listened to the self-titled one (with brother Ben on it)
| and they are
| awesome.

I, too, received the rather overly generous gift from Chuck, and all because I
had 50 minutes of BFF video stuff.  However, while I agree that Chuck is a
hell of a guy for being so generous, I would like to share with all of you
that the music he sent me is incredibly enjoyable.  I personally love the
Snuzz tape he sent me.  It's just great music to listen to - that's all there
is to it.  There were some mixed reviews of Snuzz on the Armchair a while back
when they were an opening act, but I have a feeling that those came as much
from anticipation of the headliner as from the band's actual performance - of
course, I wasn't there so I can't say that definitively.  However, I can say
definitively that I would catch them if they came around Chapel Hill again.  I
recommend that you, at the very least, give 'em a listen and make your own
judgments.
Thanks to Chuck,
Jason Kilts

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 09:48:33 -0400
From: James Campbell <campbell@virl.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Not Brick!

Ms. Shortcake offered...

> Okay, before we start another Brick debate, I just have one thing to say.
>  The band's filming the video for Brick in New York (unless they decide
> to change locations last minute) on Saturday and according to Ben, once
> you see the video there will be NO question what the song's about.

Why is "Brick" going to be the next US single?  Doesn't
anyone else think that "Dumped" is clearly the best
chance to get some airplay?  When I first play BFF for friends,
I always start with "Dumped", and it always gets positive remarks
and they always want to hear more.

I can totally see "Brick" getting lumped in with a chunk of
anti-"Freshmen" sentiment (I'm absolutely sick of that
song myself..).  Bad timing IMHO...

Cheers,

- -- James

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 21:13:05 -0400
From: quist813@webtv.net
Subject: Son Volt

Actually, Son Volt originates from Belleville, IL via way of Uncle
Tupelo (a GREAT band). After Uncle Tupelo split, Jay Farrar went on to
form Son Volt and Jeff Tweedy formed Wilco.  P.S. Don't forget: BF5 on
Sessions @West 54th on 11/8. Take care!!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 12:54:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: F2G2@aol.com

melissa---
i'm there.  i'll bring my import singles if you bring a portable cd player.
 i'll be a backpack boy and we'll trek across the planet like rilly eccentric
deadheads.  (i've seen then three times this year, and when the stateside
tour comes back, i want to catch them a coupla times more.  and i have
friends in england, and they've told me i have a place to stay if i want to
catch the dec 11th show.......)
smile.
matthew

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 14:59:42 -0400
From: "Sherry Raynor" <sraynor@clink.net>
Subject: dot! where are you?

hi, this is sherri-berri looking for Dot.  I met you at the BF5 show at the
Cat's Cradle and saw you at the Raleigh Renaissance faire.  if you see this
please e-mail me.  sraynor@clink.net

thankyou

Lady Fwala