Issue #472 - September 11, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest  Thursday, September 11 1997  Volume 01 : Number 472

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

GOING BACK TO SCHOOL?
   If you are returning to school and will be subscribing under a campus
e-mail address, don't forget to unsubscribe your home e-mail address
before you leave.  The unsub process works much more smoothly when you
send the unsub message from the account which you are unsubscribing.

PERSONAL ATTACKS
   Let's keep the personal attacks and barbs out of the Armchair. If you
have something to say to someone, send it via private e-mail. All are
welcome to discuss Ben Folds Five here and no question is a dumb question
if you don't know the answer. Of course, it would be appreciated if you'd
do a little research of your own first. Most of the commonly-asked
questions are answered in various resources found on the web, and I
usually recommend http://oeonline.com/bff/ as a good starting point. There
are links to lots of people's BFF pages, including some good FAQs.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Constitution of a band...
    Ohhhhh Petra!
    IMPORTS ANYONE?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #471
    What you talkin' about Agnes?
    Dumped vs. Brick
    melbourne concert
    BF5's next single...
    ...back!
    Sister Song
    Re: Brick=AIDS?
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #470
    Wanting to trade singles
    Covers.

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 20:10:38 -0500 (EST)
From: OfftheFront <gooley@indiana.edu>
Subject: Constitution of a band...

Who said anything about Ben's piano replacing a guitar?

I say that Ben's piano fills what would have been empty space.

- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-
It matters not whether you win or lose;
what matters is whether I win or lose.
				-Darin Weinberg

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 22:19:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Eric Patton <shirak@umich.edu>
Subject: Ohhhhh Petra!

	Eep! I can't believe you thought Adam Duritz was from the
Beasties! Not that I don't like the Beasties or anything, but it's still a
major faux pas, or whatever that French word is. ;) Anyway, Adam Duritz is
none other than the lead singer of Counting Crows, the guy who slept with
a third of the cast of "Friends", the person responsible for the
Wallflowers first single, and most importantly, one of the greatest
songwriters of our generation. That's okay, though. I forgive you. It's
all about love here on the Magical Armchair. ;) Laters!

ERIC
	      "I'm only paranoid because they want me dead."
					Mel Gibson, Conspiracy Theory

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 22:17:43 -0400
From: palmerjr@bellatlantic.net
Subject: IMPORTS ANYONE?

Hey Everyone!
	I was wondering if anyone could send me a tape of a BFF import??
 I would be sooooo gracious!!  I am also a devout Dave Matthews Fan and
will kindly trade or pay if you do not share my interest!!
					Jackie P
CD CHANGER:
1.  BFF first album
2.  DMB import
3.  BFF WAEA
4.  Soul Coughing
5.  Fleetwood Mac-greatest hits
6.  DMB-under the table...
7.  DMB import

P.s. can we stop all the hostility with the repeating questions?  it
hurts my feelings that fellow fans don't have the utmost respect for
each other.  when someone says they like BFF or DMB I immediatley have
found a new friend, repeating questions and all.

                 "THE PROUD HATE PRIDE IN OTHERS"
					nm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 21:47:05 -0500 (CDT)
From: Everett L Craven <muelc@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #471

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 22:34:21 -0400
From: schander@juno.com (joe s schanderson)
Subject: What you talkin' about Agnes?

I'm just checking here. Did Agnes DePesto really tell everyone else on
the list to not submit things that aren't meaningful? It's time to
celebrate everyone!!! The rapture has come. If Agnes doesn't care about
something it should not appear in the digest. This means we must all
first send our posts to her, have them okay'd, and then send them out for
public approval. Finally a real moderator. How did we ever get along with
just Frank? Love, love, love....
joe

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 23:28:29 -0500
From: Aaron Dawson <hawk_i@tfs.net>
Subject: Dumped vs. Brick

Hi

I was reading the last issue (#470) and ran across the post, "Not
Brick!".  I would like to voice a few peaceful opinions.

James...HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK THAT SONG FOR THE DUMPED IS BETTER
THAN BRICK!?!  I truly do not understand this.  Now pardon my fit, I do
agree that new listeners might take to Dumped before Brick.  However,
now that the masses know who Ben and the Boys are, shouldn't they show
off their musical capabilities?  If anyone is going to try and say that
"Song for the Dumped", however great it may be (and yes even I like it),
is more musical than "Brick" is just plain full of crap.  Dumped is
merely a lot of noise, whereas Brick actually has some musical context
to it.

Call me crazy or wierd if you wish, but I think that it's time for BF5
to show the music industry what they're really made of...by releasing
Brick next.  Thanks for your time.

Aaron

P.S.  James, I just want to let you know that I am not attacking you.

"Everyone's pretending not to hear them knocking at the door."
- -Tom and Mary-

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 22:14:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: "jac \(jp^\)" <jpgr@rocketmail.com>
Subject: melbourne concert

Hey,
I am a relatively new BFF fan :) I haven't seem them play
live yet, so can someone tell me what to expect? They are
playing Monahs Uni in a couple of weeks.

Jac

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 09:23:39 -0400
From: "Brian R. Kessler" <bkessler@btv.ibm.com>
Subject: BF5's next single...

>>  Okay, before we start another Brick debate, I just have one thing to say.
>>   The band's filming the video for Brick in New York (unless they decide
>>  to change locations last minute) on Saturday and according to Ben, once
>>  you see the video there will be NO question what the song's about.
>
> Why is "Brick" going to be the next US single?  Doesn't
> anyone else think that "Dumped" is clearly the best
> chance to get some airplay?  When I first play BFF for friends,
> I always start with "Dumped", and it always gets positive remarks
> and they always want to hear more.

"Brick" is already getting a lot of airplay on 104.7, WNCS, Montpelier, VT

Peace, skiing, & music,
Brian

- --
"Never seem to get far enough / Staying in between the lines..." - Son Volt
- --------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:36:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Scott A. Schneider" <echo@msn.globaldialog.com>
Subject: ...back!

Well, I don't know if any of you care, but... well, I'm back from a 3
week excursion from e-mail.  Everyone who sent me e-mail should be
getting replies within the next few days when I sit down and sort through
everything.

As for BFF content...

A new FAQ (v2.13 or something like that) should be completed soon, and I
need some input as far as distribution methods.  Please e-mail me
privately (echo@msn.globaldialog.com) so I can collect this data without
clogging up the armchair.  Things I need to know are:

A) Do you mirror the FAQ on a web site, or otherwise (media member, etc)
need to receive regular updates as they come out?  Please send me your
e-mail address and format preference (plain text or HTML) so I can put
you on a mailing list.

B) Do you (as an armchair member) want to see regular, semi-regular, or
*any* postings of the FAQ to this listserv?  It can take up quite a bit
of an armchair (well... all of an armchair, depending where in the que
it's dropped)... so bandwidth conservation is an issue.  Do you want it
posted, or would you prefer just to rely on method such as obtaining it
from my web site and/or FAQ-site mirrors?

C) Anything you'd like to see added to the FAQ?  Any unanswered questions
you have and would like to see resolved?  E-mail me!

Alright, that's my post.  Time for me to go sift through about 50 old MA
digests resting in my e-box...

Cheers!  (Look, ma!  I'm pseudo-European!)

scott

echo@msn.globaldialog.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 09:39:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Fargo38@aol.com
Subject: Sister Song

Both The Last Polka and Missing the War are
about a failing relationship.  In Miissing the War,
it seems as if the narrator has sort of accepted the
fact that he's stuck in this loveless marriage or
whatever.  Last Polka covers the fighting stage.
That's how I see it, anyway..

Clay

"Dont wear your heart out on your sleeve,
when your remarks are off the cuff."  -- Elvis Costello

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:23:39 -0500
From: Smutbag <mwmcconv@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Brick=AIDS?

	Let it be known that I like the abortion theory better than this
AIDS hypothesis only for this reason...I hate to possibly start a rumor of
some sort, but if "Brick" is indeed about AIDS, it's possible that the
subjects of the song (Ben?) is infected.  Look at "They called her name at
7.30..." (Possibly a clinic?) as well as "as weeks went by/it showed that
she was not fine/ they told me son its time to tell the truth/ she broke
down and I broke down/ cause I was tired of lying."  I'm not trying to
start anything, but I think it makes quite a bit of sense.  Knowing someone
who was infected, I know that my friend was tired of lying- maybe it's a
stretch, but both theories are a possibility.  I can't wait to find out the
truth in the video.  On a lighter note....

Currently playing in my CD player-
1.  Frank Zappa-Joe's Garage Disc 1
2.  BFF- Self Titled
3. Bjork- Telegram
4. Paul Simon- Rythym of the Saints
5. Miles Davis- In a Silent Way

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:35:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: ButterfIy9@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #470

OH MY GOD.  i'm sorry, hi, i'm brandi.  i've been reading the armchair for a
while, but never posted. it just so happens that i'm reading it right now,
Sept. 10...and someone brought up the quote "Got nowhere but home to go, got
Ben Folds on my radio right now..." by my favorite person, Adam Duritz...but
i was really upset when someone responded to that by saying...
"Adam Duritz of the Beastie Boys?"  :o((((((  NO!!!  Adam Duritz, ya know,
Brilliance.  (well i think so)  of the Counting Crows. :o)
yeah. so that REALLY caught my attention, cause i'm an avid Counting Crows
fan.
so, um...that's enough from me.
BFF rocks my world.
bye.
"Adam Duritz is my hero." ~me.
ben folds comes in second, though.
brandi

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:00:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Smarshal1@aol.com
Subject: Wanting to trade singles

Hey....well, basically I am looking to trade singles w/ someone.  I have a
few extra copies of each BOWCCL single that I would love to swap for singles
of any BFF.   I am especially interested in the newer ones(1Angry Dwarf,
Kate) but the older ones too.  So, if you have access to BFF singles, drop me
a line. thanx,
josh

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:25:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: KNULPREK@aol.com
Subject: Covers.

Hey. So, i'm setting up a band using the same setup as BFF, and i'm
thinking.. when we play shows, do you think it's kinda cheezy/a bad move/
distasteful to do a BFF cover?
                  -jason
p.s. anyone have any cool band name ideas?
pps. i guess write me personally so this won't clog things up