Issue #473 - September 12, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Friday, September 12 1997   Volume 01 : Number 473

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

GOING BACK TO SCHOOL?
   If you are returning to school and will be subscribing under a campus
e-mail address, don't forget to unsubscribe your home e-mail address
before you leave.  The unsub process works much more smoothly when you
send the unsub message from the account which you are unsubscribing.

PERSONAL ATTACKS
   Let's keep the personal attacks and barbs out of the Armchair. If you
have something to say to someone, send it via private e-mail. All are
welcome to discuss Ben Folds Five here and no question is a dumb question
if you don't know the answer. Of course, it would be appreciated if you'd
do a little research of your own first. Most of the commonly-asked
questions are answered in various resources found on the web, and I
usually recommend http://oeonline.com/bff/ as a good starting point. There
are links to lots of people's BFF pages, including some good FAQs.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    On and off-topic?
    BECK IS GOD!!!!!!!!!
    so much to say..
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #472
    Beasties!
    Various comments
    Covering BFF Songs
    Bass
    Brick vs Dumped
    news to abuse
    Howdy
    Letterman bumper
    DARREN
    APOLOGIES!!
    Beasties!
    `
    Sessions with Beck?!!/HELP!
    Kate Singles
    BFF in Atlanta
    Mistakes onw

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 20:15:33 -0400
From: Jeffrey Gerosky <freefall@epix.net>
Subject: On and off-topic?

>And a request for everyone else on this list:  Please don't submit
>anything unless it's somewhat meaningful (like don't ask where a tour
>will be since you can find that on the internet and don't babble on
>about what's in your cd changer because I could care less).
>Thank You.
>Go Buckeyes!!!

Personally, if it pertains to BFF, I'd rather have it "served up" to me
via this list and the fans that comprise it-I don't have all that much
time to spend combing the web for info.  Also, (referring to the
contents of others' CD players) I only found out about BFF from all of
the folks on the Todd Rundgren list who really dug them-otherwise, I
might never have known about the band at all (imagine the horror)!  And
after all this, you have the unmitigated audacity to express your
fondness for what, a FOOTBALL TEAM?  Very essential...:-)
Nothing personal, just my  $.02...

Sports and wine

Jeff
- --
You can't read everything you believe...

The Official FreeFall Home Page:
http://www.epix.net/~freefall

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:12:16 -0700
From: "Julie Hurst" <sledgie@mailexcite.com>
Subject: BECK IS GOD!!!!!!!!!

Beck is god and it's now proved, Ben said that Beck is so great I always knew that
but I heard him say that and now I definately believe that he's god.
Any one going to the Monash Uni Gig on the 26th of September???

http://www.mailexcite.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 22:03:14 EDT
From: jaedonely@juno.com (A A DONELY)
Subject: so much to say..

i just want to see if this gets through, I ve written like 3 things and
theyve gotten returned!
Frank, help me!
Elisabeth

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 21:08:55 -0500 (CDT)
From: Everett L Craven <muelc@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #472

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 22:16:20 EDT
From: jaedonely@juno.com (A A DONELY)
Subject: Beasties!

Ive got to add-There are two Adams in the beastie boys
Adam Horovitz(Ad-rock)
Adam Yauch(MCA)-hes buddist(sp?) and organized the tibetan freedom
festival
and the 3rd, mike d.
Big General Question that I must ask- could anybody possibly email me the
piano transcription to Boxing? id be so incredibly happy and
appreciative!
I desperately want a songbook but its out of stock-and if i wasnt a
schoolchild, id follow bff anywhere!
I was really into Oasis and then they hit it platinum with Wonderwall-I
see some parallels between that lovely ballad and Brick, BUT brick is too
touchy-and anyways, isnt bff looking for world
domination?		Elisabeth

"How can I be so skinny yet live so phat? Ya wanna know why? Cos Im THE
MAESTRO!"-a (ph)un Beasties quote.:)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 21:33:12 -0400
From: Matt Moberly <mmoberly@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
Subject: Various comments

First of all, I guess I must be full of crap, cause I've been an avid
fan of BFF for over a year _AND_ on the armchair for many months, and I
STILL think Song for the Dumped is better than Brick. Maybe I'm not as
in touch with my feminine side, maybe I've never been in a situation
involving abortion, AIDS, terminally ill pets, or whatEVER you find in
that song. But I relate to Dumped, I find it shows off almost every
aspect of BFF that I love. Don't forget to give me back my black
T-shirt, does this show their playful irony or what? Ben's nostalgic
"western saloon" style playing in the break, Darren's awesome
percussion, branching from the standard set as far as open palms on the
knees, a bassline that still evades my noodling on my acoustic. I'd say,
it's pretty damn arrogant of whoever that was to say I'm wrong for
respecting the efforts and creativity of this song more than the
croonings of Brick. But that's not a flame, not an argument, just
defense and another post.

Also... whoever asked about what a live show is like, it's kinda like
having sex, only "Woah! My clothes are still on!" No, it's better than
that, sorry.

And the guy looking for the band name, I was saving Dirty Water Dogs for
my own band, but it fell apart, so if you like that, it's free. Guess
that goes for anybody out there looking for a name.

Matt Moberly
"I am the firestarter, twisted firestarter" -- Me.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 22:40:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mitch Armbruster <marmbru@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Covering BFF Songs

I think covering one song would not be cheezy, but more of a tribute,
UNLESS you play it between a cover of the Spice Girls and Hanson.  Then it
would just be godawful. 8)

Just my opinion,

Mitch

"it's hard to look at your dreams up in the sky,
when you know you're never going to fly"
 - The Sunday Monsters

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 13:07:18 +1000
From: "BECK" <beckwk@pnc.com.au>
Subject: Bass

Howdy folks,

just dropin' a line to ask you all two questions:

Firstly - Does anybody know what make of bass
	Robert uses? I sounds really good, his
	setup must be pretty cool.

Lastly - Does anybody know of any places where
	one may find some Bass tableture for BFF
	songs. I know I have asked this, but have
	no success in finding out.

Thanks for your time, thanks very much, thanks...

Matt

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 22:42:52 -0500 (CST)
From: Nate Mathews <nmathews@mork.uni.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Brick vs Dumped

	Brick is the perfect second single that if BFF got any airplay,
would make them truly popular. If you recall the Verve Pipe released
"Photograph", which was much more upbeat, before "Freshmen". Look which
one hit it big. The same I think goes for BFF. Once people get atuned to
the sound of a band they can appreciate a song thats a little slower, deeper
and a harder listen, but yet is more musically pleasing once you get used
to it. 				(Not to say the rest of Bff songs arent
musically pleasing.)
					-Nate

 Cross Country: Finally a practical use for golf courses

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:31:38 EDT
From: jeanius@juno.com (Matt Jeans: A King Among Fools)
Subject: news to abuse

The new BFF album is due out in october.
it will be called "turn that bitch out",
and will feature RZA of the WU-TANG clan.

The first single is called, "Satanic interludes",
and will feature distorted stringless piano, and Darren Jessee
on a double bass 10 piece drum set.

Robert Sledge and Fiona Apple have been
seen on numerous occasions holding hands and
exchanging embraces in public.

Ben Folds was, in fact at the Mtv video awards.
when asked about them, he simply replied,
"Man i wish i was smokin' a fat ass doobie right now.
Weed is my life."

Also when asked about the meaning of the song,
"Brick", folds said, "it's about building houses."

mj

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 01:53:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: MistrMania@aol.com
Subject: Howdy

Not sure if anyone cares...but Im new to the list and thought that Id
introduce myself.  I bought the BFF "Whatever..."  a few weeks ago and it
totally rocks.  Real quick I like, NIN, Alanis, Tori, Dave Matthews, Soul
Coughing, Sting, Danzig...hmmm basically everything...(could someone kill Rod
Stewart and Michael Bolton please?)  I normally like depressing songs, and
sure enough there were a few on this CD.

IMHO the five best songs are:
1.Missing the War
2.Brick
3.Evporated
4.Steven's Last Night in Town
5. Slefless, Cold and Composed.

Thats just what I think...I could be wrong.   So whats the story with
Brick...very dense song...but excellent nonetheless.  Im kinda stupid, so I
cant quit figure it out...someone lend me your brain and tell me.

Alright...feel free to Eme and tell me what a freak I am.

kyle

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 01:33:24 -0500
From: "Alexander T. LeDonne" <aledonne@iquest.net>
Subject: Letterman bumper

I had to ask... was anyone else watching the Late Show w/David Letterman
Tonight (Wed pm/Thu am)? After the "stars" segment and leading into Noah
Wylie, I almost started shouting... it was BoWCCL! Paul Schaeffer and the
CBS orchestra playing BFF as the bumper music! Woo Hoo!

Also, for Curt, from Armchair #465 -
Your friends are right; the same section of Rhapsody in Blue (end of
Philosophy, Gershwin) was used by United Airlines in the classic "Rainstorm
in the Boardroom" commercial, among others. Useless trivia fact: the voice
of United was, and is, Gene Hackman.

For Import Hunters (in the US, that is) - the two Kate UK CD singles I
tracked down were pressed by Epic/550 music, numbered 664536 2 and 664536 5,
BoWCCL is 664230 5... you can always try just ordering them. It worked for me.

Finally for fun... I don't have a CD changer, but I only have so much room
to cart them back & forth to work in the old briefcase...

BFF - both albums + the 3 imports above
JACKOPIERCE - self-titled, Woman as Salvation, Finest Hour
Mr. Mister - Welcome to the Real World
Hüsker Dü - The Living End
Sugar - File Under: Easy Listening, Copper Blue
King's X - faith hope love
Elton John - Reg Strikes Back

That's right... I'm...   Eclectic Man!

- -Alex
aledonne@iquest.net

PS - If nobody has set up a new comprehensive Armchair archive, I have all
but 6 or so from 214-472 (not counting the unfortunate #469), and could
organize them on an ftp server...handy for newbies AND in case of lost mail.
Please EMAIL ME, NOT THE LIST if you a) think such an archive exists... I
just didn't find it or a link to it in the 20 sites I checked, b) would like
to help out with 1-213 and the few I'm missing, or c) think I must be on
crack to even suggest such an undertaking.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Alexander T. LeDonne
  aledonne@iquest.net          Home page: http://www.iquest.net/~aledonne

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:32:04 -0700
From: "Julie Hurst" <sledgie@mailexcite.com>
Subject: DARREN

Darren Jessee is god now not beck

http://www.mailexcite.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 02:46:48 PDT
From: "Petra Starke" <naturalselection@hotmail.com>
Subject: APOLOGIES!!

Oh dearrrr, seems I made a mistake! First and foremost - SORRY SORRY
SORRY to all you Duritz fans out there for mistaking him for A. Yauch of
the Beasties - what the hell was I thinking?!! Also, thankyou to Zach
and Matt for writing to me personally to correct me and to everyone who
wrote on the armchair. (makes it hard to clean, though...haha) I will
make sure I severely reprimand myself for my behaviour. ;)

Cheers, Petra

PS: this new Ben w/ AIDS rumour might be more trouble than it's worth,
whoever came up with the idea... Didn't Ben say that we'd know for sure
what the song was about when the film clip comes out? Why don't we all
just waiiiiit.....;)

In the cd changer:

ANYTHING BY COUNTING CROWS!!! (sorry again)(I like that one about mr
Jones)(Can you tell I'm a big fan?...)

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:36:04 +0000
From: hillsey <hillsey@tpgi.com.au>
Subject: `

man you guys really stink!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 06:12:15 -0500
From: punkerboy@webtv.net (JOHN SCHOLTES, Jr.)
Subject: Sessions with Beck?!!/HELP!

WOW! I just read in someone's post that the "Sessions..." w/ BFF is also
gonna have Beck!! What a show! Is anyone as excited about this as me? I
was so pissed to miss the HORDE in Chicago with both BFF and Beck (I did
however catch HORDE in Pittsburgh with neither Beck nor BFF, but they
DID have Soul Coughing and Squirrel Nut Zippers, but that's neither here
nor there). WOW!

          Now to the good (and severely off-topic, I know) stuff. My
site is now in the final round of a Site of the Week competition, and
the competition is feirce. As of right now, I'm in forth place, and I
know I'm deserving of first (call me vain). Just check out my site (link
below) and see if you agree. If so (or even if not), follow the link on
my site to the Site of the Week site and vote away. You can even vote
again tomarrow and every day till Saturday. Thanks in advance.

                       Later, Johnny

"Sometimes I punch myself as hard as I can yelling 'nobody cares' hoping
somone will tell me how wrong I am" -Ben Folds

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/1867/ High Velocity Online

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 07:59:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alexander Jay Timin <ajtimin@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Subject: Kate Singles

I'm looking for the Kate cd singles.  Maybe you have them and don't want
them anymore, or maybe you know of some place where I can get them.  If
you can help, let me know off the list at:

ajtimin@freenet.tlh.fl.us

Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 08:08:57 -0400
From: C &P Mrizek <galileo@mindspring.com>
Subject: BFF in Atlanta

Howdy, folks.
The local awful radio station announced Ben Folds Five tickets for an
October 16th performance at the Roxy in Buckhead go on sale Friday
morning.  Thought some of you might like to know.
Then again, it was 99x, so they could be full of crap and entirely wrong
about all of it.

Back into hiding,
Pat

------------------------------

Date: 11 Sep 97 08:15 EDT
From: KLEVERING.KRISTIN@ANN-ARBOR.VA.GOV
Subject: Mistakes onw

This is my first post.  I've been reading for a while, and I'm grateful
for all people who keep us updated on all tv and radio appearances of our
boys.  I taped the Conan appearance and have watched it over and over
again.
I'm glad that someone else noticed the phone ringing during "Steven's Last
Night in Town"!  It drives me crazy, because it's the exact same ring as
my phone, and I keep thinking my phone is ringing  (expecially confusing
when I'm listening to it in my car)..  It makes me wonder, though, because
I bought my phone during my last month in grad school, broke as hell, and
bought the cheapest cordless I could find - a GE model.  I hope they're
doing better financially than I was then.