Issue #478 - September 15, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest   Monday, September 15 1997   Volume 01 : Number 478

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

GOING BACK TO SCHOOL?
   If you are returning to school and will be subscribing under a campus
e-mail address, don't forget to unsubscribe your home e-mail address
before you leave.  The unsub process works much more smoothly when you
send the unsub message from the account which you are unsubscribing.

PERSONAL ATTACKS
   Let's keep the personal attacks and barbs out of the Armchair. If you
have something to say to someone, send it via private e-mail. All are
welcome to discuss Ben Folds Five here and no question is a dumb question
if you don't know the answer. Of course, it would be appreciated if you'd
do a little research of your own first. Most of the commonly-asked
questions are answered in various resources found on the web, and I
usually recommend http://oeonline.com/bff/ as a good starting point. There
are links to lots of people's BFF pages, including some good FAQs.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Im so sorry!
    Band names
    Hello from Cleveland...
    Brick Video
    Life In General
    Where are We From?
    Brick vs Dumped, CD changer, Australian tour
    Hanson
    Compilation
    Good Lord I'm stupid...
    RE: That Hillsey prick.
    Brick over SFTD for single; Brick
    Shame on you Kim...

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 20:33:27 EDT
From: jaedonely@juno.com (A A DONELY)
Subject: Im so sorry!

I dont know how, but my stupid little Beasties post has been in the
armchair like 3 times and i feel lke a jerk for clogging up the works.
wouldn't you know, the stupid pointless stuff gets through.
i love everybody who mentions where to get bff piano
transcriptions(hopefully I can find them.....)
and i love all you armchairers!!!!!!
youre great!  What Bsides are worth it? Someone who knows, could you
email me?
~Elisabeth

my cd changer
1.Swingers Soundtrack
2. BFF (both of them)
3. Paul's Boutique-Beastie Boys
4. Save Ferris-It Means Everything
5. The Amazing Royal Crowns

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 21:21:19 EDT
From: jaedonely@juno.com (A A DONELY)
Subject: Band names

To the guy looking for a band name:
Phat Mattress Kings-does it sound like a fabulous band name or what?
to me, it sounds like a funky ska hybrid-but i dunno.
Couple a good band names-
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (!!!!)
The Amazing Royal Crowns
~Elisabeth

"whys this happened to me and the show was for free it sucks to be under
21"-
Save Ferris

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 00:06:46 -0400
From: Carrie Shanafelt <cds9@po.cwru.edu>
Subject: Hello from Cleveland...

Gee, I'm now an official college student at Case Western Reserve
University, a new open field of people who haven't heard the millions of
reasons why listening to BFF is good, going to BFF shows is better, and
being (and admitting) you're obsessed with Ben, Robert, and Darren and all
the beautiful things they do is not only A-OK, it's a way of life.
News -- Since I finally own sound capabilities, I downloaded Paul May's
MP3's, then downloaded all of those that he has a direct link to -- When I
tried playing them, Paul's worked like happy little gems, and the others
(of course the ones I've sought for a long time) worked not.  Said it was
incompatible.  How can I correct this?  Does any other site have these
loverly songs??
Thanx, Carrie

"Society invents a spurious convoluted logic tae absorb and change people
whae's behavior is outside its mainstream...They won't let ye dae it
because it's seen as a sign ay thir ain failure.  The fact that ye simply
reject whit they huv tae offer." --'Renton'
		from _Trainspotting_ by Irvine Welsh

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 01:18:26 -0400
From: "John E. Fahey" <jfahey@cyberportal.net>
Subject: Brick Video

About the video for Brick answering all questions pertaining to the
song, I'm anxiously anticipating the video. I'm also sure that I'll have
no trouble whatsoever seeing the video considering how MTV plays BFF
constantly as it is. (note the sarcasm)

- -John

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 01:15:50 -0500
From: Dave Sterling <pezhead@execpc.com>
Subject: Life In General

Hey to all the wonderful armchair readers.  This is my first attempt at
something in this newsletter.  I just found out about BFF about 3 months
ago....so i'm relatively new to the whole BFF scene.  I love them to
death which is really amazing cause I'm actually a hard core ska fan.
Anyway, I really have no point in all of this.  Was the pot smoking
thing ever resolved? If it was email me...cause i must be sleeping or
something.  I was listening to either "Alice Childress"  or "Brick"  and
i swear Ben mentioned smoking weed with Kate right at the end.  It was
really quiet though.  maybe I'm hearing things though.  Oh well.  That's
enough of my babble for now.

Dave

In the changers:
Car 6 disc:
1. BFF WAEA
2.DMB Organization: Disc 3
3.Soul Coughing Iress Bliss
4.DMB remember two things
5.BFF self title
6.Oasis BE here Now

In changer at home:
1. Less than jake:  Losers kings and things we don't understand
2. massive attack vs. mad professor
3. Slapstick self titled
4. DMB Organization: Disc 1
5. Punk Uprisings (comp)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 03:06:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Quadlibet@aol.com
Subject: Where are We From?

While reading digest #477 I was surprised at all the MI references (my home
state), which caused me to wonder where we Armchairites are located.  So,
could anyone with a second of time please mail me their hometown and their
fave Ben tune (another thing that's been knocking around my head).  If
someone else has already done this or you find this type of thing
superfluous/worthless then I apologize.

bryan

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 18:21:29 +1000 (EST)
From: Derek Scott <scoco@netspace.net.au>
Subject: Brick vs Dumped, CD changer, Australian tour

Hi all
Just a coupla things.
 I know I'm not going to be popular for saying this, but I thought I'd say
it anyway: Brick is fast becoming one of my least favourite songs. It's
getting to the point where I skip the whole track every time I listen to the
CD. I'm not sure what it is about the song, but I'm going off it. On the
other hand, Dumped is much more exciting.
This isn't working out to be  a very positive post, but I just wanted to
have a whinge about how I'm missing BF5 when they come out here, coz all
their gigs (bar Livid) are over 18s and I'm only 17. On top of that, the 1st
Sydney gig is the day before my biggest exam, and the second gig is on when
I'm in Queensland, arriving one day late to see Livid!! Ahhhhhhh!!
Sorry about that. Had to get it out of my system
Last thing: Cd changer. Sorry all those who aren't interested, but you might
notice that I did put it in the subject so you could skip it.
Ben Folds Five
 "       "     WeAE
TMBG           Factory Showroom
Radiohead      The Bends
Melis          Postgyrobigget
Beck           Odelay

* The Days of the Digital Watch are Numbered              *
*                                      -Ginger Meggs, SMH *

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 21:06:16 -0700
From: Good Evans <gevans@taunet.net.au>
Subject: Hanson

How can one say that Hanson are write good music (if it is indeed Hanson
who write it which I doubt). One would be lucky to find a total of 4
different chords in on of their pieces. And with words like "mmm bop" It
makes you wonder why they're even in the charts. Oh yeah, I forgot.
They're little and cute. Sorry. Forgot the music industry was run on
image.
In my CD changer:
Everclear: Sparkle and Fade
Monty Python: Monty Python Sings
Triple J's hottest 100 Vol 4 Disk 1 & 2
Brainbug: Nightmare (single)
Live: Throwing copper
Bush: Sixteen stone
The Sipmsons: songs in the key of springfield
The Prodigy: The fat of the land
BBF: WaEA
BBF: BBF
The Offspring: Smash
Romeo an Juliet: Music from the motion picture.

Catch ya round
Gareth &:-)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 08:28:51 -0400
From: "John E. Fahey" <jfahey@cyberportal.net>
Subject: Compilation

There have been a few posts so far regarding BFF's 'new' album coming
out early next year. Now someone said that it's going to be a collection
of unreleased or unused songs. Does this mean songs that have NEVER been
released or does it mean that b-sides will make up most of the album?

- -John

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 11:23:51 -0400
From: Carrie Shanafelt <cds9@po.cwru.edu>
Subject: Good Lord I'm stupid...

Before I get 500 emails saying "You dumbass!! Can't you read the
instructions on the page that say 'You must download them using Microsoft
Internet Explorer'???"  Well, I figured it out.  Pretty Bad Idea... I make
me feel, make me feel, make me feel retarded...

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 97 11:23:02 PDT
From: evlbison <evlbison@neo.lrun.com>
Subject: RE: That Hillsey prick.

>Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 03:15:07 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Brad654@aol.com
>Subject: That hillsley prick

>> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:36:04 +0000
>> From: hillsey <hillsey@tpgi.com.au>
>> Subject: `
>>
>> man you guys really stink!

>Since he's posted this same crap here before, it sure would be a shame if
>this guy got a whole bunch of mail from BFF fans telling him to stay the
>hell
>away from here.
I myself have been in contact with Hillsey for several months and let me
tell you this. Don't flame him. He feeds on that. He enjoys recieving hate
mail. Instead, I'm saving ALL the mail I recieve from him on disk, and soon
I'll send it ALL to his server "TPGI.COM" because almost all the letters I
have ever recieved from him violate their terms of service in some way. So,
instead of flaming him, just go to www,tpgi.com and complain to them about
him. Get him kicked off-line.

 Later,
    Steve

NO OFFENSE INTENDED TO ANYONE BY ANY OF THIS.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 12:16:12 +0100
From: kareng@ici.net (karen gannon)
Subject: Brick over SFTD for single; Brick

 Let's see. "So you wanted to take a break, slow it down some and have some
space". Hey, that part's real radio friendly. Hmmm. "Well fuckyou too!"
Uh-oh. Houston, we have a problem.... The song is fun because of the
true-to-life vocabulary. When it goes "Well ---- you, too... Give me my
money back you       -----", it just isn't the same. That's my take on it,
anyway

As for the renewal of the Brick discussion, I think it's obviously about
abortion, but someone else could find it just as obviously about AIDS, or
Drug Overdose, or whatever. Only Ben and whoever he's told really know for
sure. So I would ask all the people who keep saying, "But we've already
decided, it's about abortion," to kindly shut up (no offense intended).

Josh

"If ya ask me, I don't think the words are worth ****.  I think it's all
about drums."-- Larry Mullen, U2

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 15:02:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: F2G2@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #475

<<

and the fifteen musicians that back them up on the album are good too.

mak

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 15:12:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: F2G2@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #477

hey.................
tuesday night i am going to get my passport with my "girl."  we've decided.
 england as of the ninth of december, 2 days before bf5 hits london.  and i'm
THERE.  i'll give you a review.  smile.

mak

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 16:52:25 -0500
From: kjoaquin@eve.assumption.edu
Subject: Shame on you Kim...

Long ago on the armchair ("people come and go so quickly here!") there was
a big debate about whether BFF's "going mainstream" was good or bad,
whether it helped or hurt the music, whether fans were selfish, or devoted.
Kim said

>because then they
>will become too mainstream and all of the popular chicks at my school
>will be saying "I LOVE BF5" and then I will have to kill them.

and I think she has some people issues to resolve before she starts
preferring the guys to keep their talent a secret, their kitchens full of
recording equipment, and we fans smug in our clique-y little way.  I know
that this might start another heap of debate, but there we are certain
things one must respond to...homicidal cries for help among them.  Fame, is
GOOD for musicians, for music, for fans. If crowded concerts and cheesy
teeney-boppers have to be endured for the good of the boys and their craft,
I say so be it.
tootles
- -Kendra