Issue #481 - September 17, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest Wednesday, September 17 1997 Volume 01 : Number 481

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

ANNOYING POSTS:
   Yes, unfortunately, once in a while someone will get subscribed to
the list and post something intended to annoy all of us.  When that
happens, please just ignore it and let the moderator handle it behind the
scenes. Usually the instigator is lonely and looking for a little
attention. You can write to the person directly, but please keep it off
the list.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Bootleg for you...
    where we R
    september 12th, Kansas
    Music Midtown
    BF5 RealVideo
    A different kind of cover...
    Brick debate
    poll results
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #480
    tour dates
    Brick as a single
    CD Changer
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #477
    mohr noose
    BFF article in BMA

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 19:18:06 -0500
From: john_oc@juno.com
Subject: Bootleg for you...

I thought this might get your attention...

I have tapes of BF5 in Pittsburgh from the most recent tour and a tape of
them at Hoboken in NJ in January 96.  If you are interested in either
e-mail me for my taping policy...

Now playing...
Morphine - Yes
Belle and Sebastian - If you are feeling sinister
Big Star - Live
Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen
Underworld - Pearl's Girl EP
Bis - The New Transistor Heroes
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call

Thanks!

John Boyer
WOBN-FM 101.5 the ROCK    Columbus, Ohio
Asst. Music Director, Triple A Dir. and Research Dir.
Email: John_OC@juno.com   Phone: (614) 823-2969
"Call it what you want, you'll never fool anyone with what you've got."
- --Luxury

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 20:49:57 -0400
From: Barbi <sliemers@infinet.com>
Subject: where we R

Bryan,

I am from Dayton and Columbus Ohio and my fav is probably Battle OWCCL.
I was also curious of just how many current armchairites there are.

Barbi

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 20:06:40 -0500
From: greatdave@juno.com (dave a hansen)
Subject: september 12th, Kansas

Ben's birthday is the same as mine!!! That is too cool. WOW. And just a
quick question- are there many fans from the Kansas City area? just
curious. PLEASE drop me a line.
Dave

Im sorry if you're sick of this by now, but I find it interesting....
1. BFF
2. Fountains of Wayne
3. Refreshments
4. WAEA
5. Swing Kids Soundtrack

...it dont mean a thing, if it aint got that swing...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 21:30:22 -0400
From: Burton Posey <bposey@mindspring.com>
Subject: Music Midtown

I just got back on the list so I'm not a newbie or anything. I was just
wondering who I was talking to that was on the Armchair about Music Midtown
in Atlanta (May). Does anyone have a bootleg of this show? Give me a reply
if you can help me out. Thanx.

"It's easy to be, easy and free, when it doesn't mean anything."

	Burton

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:27:00 -0400
From: Vito Biliti <goatman1@geocities.com>
Subject: BF5 RealVideo

To those of y'all who wear fanny packs:
Recently i heard about this new thing called RealVideo (you may have heard
of RealAudio).  It can give you massive movies- 10 minutes or so- and play
them instantly when you click the link! No waiting for downloading!
Anyways, I managed to get a program that lets me make RealVideo and I just
happened to have entire Ben Folds Five Videos (quicktime) too.  the files
are WAY too big to put on line, so I want to convert them to realVideo.
Unfortunately, it says the files need to be "24 bit RGB  8 or 16 bit  mono
or stereo," and apparently they're not.  If anyone has the slightest clue
on what this means or how to fix it, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! I'm sorry if i
wasted your time.

Vito Biliti
Goatman1@Geocities.com
my page: http://www.Geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/7544/bf5.html
"Hey D! You gonna let me in?" -Ben Folds

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:09:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Blades6345@aol.com
Subject: A different kind of cover...

Hey all!
      Just had a question, and i hope you all don't lash out at me if it has
already been answered (not that you would). My question: On the cover of the
self-titled album, there is a polaroid on top of the piano.  Is that someone
in a trash can? Does anyone know anything about that picture? Just wondering
if there is a story behind that.  Also, has anyone listened to the song Video
in a while? That is a really great song.  That would be cool if they made a
video for Video. Ha ha. Anyway...

In the changer
1) BFF- Whatever...
2) BFF- BFF
3) Squirrel Nut Zippers- Hot
4) Cake- Fashion Nugget
5) Dave Matthews Band- Under the Table...

Good Band Name (original too!) - Liquid Toes

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:28:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jfishhead@aol.com
Subject: Brick debate

OK, my two cents:

Brick's meaning - I don't really care.  It shows that Ben can write
meaningful songs that are open to interpretation.

Brick vs. Dumped - Great shakes if any other song makes it as a single; Brick
is just as good a choice as many others.  I like Dumped better as a song,
because it's more upbeat, has a great sense of humor, and it basically rocks
and shows off the 5's energy. But like other things in life, it would need to
be censored to get on (most of) today's radio stations, and cutting out the
curses kills the effectiveness of the song, IMO.  Like hearing NIN's "Closer"
on the dial - what's the point?

Now, I happen to like the demo version of "Dumped" better than the final
version, because I like the sound of the Hammond organ he uses, and the
different way he sings the song, and the harmonies sung.  I think it would've
been a perfect reprise at the end of the CD. Now you can debate whether it
would be better before or after the "Ben Folds is a fucking asshole!" snipet.

Lates!

Dustin

ps - can we stop it with the Hanson discussion? this IS a BF5 letter,
remember?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:28:52 -0500
From: Lachesis@webtv.net (unlucky leprechaun)
Subject: poll results

hello, armchairites!  it's me, dave, with the results of the list poll i
did a while back asking what everyone's 5 favorite bands were (other
than bff).  i didn't post a message saying that i was taking final votes
because i hate stragglers.  you guys had a lot of time to vote.

anyway, there are two lists of ten.  the first is the point total list.
the ranking of the top five when sent in was 1st got five points, second
got four, etc.  the other list is the # of times a band was voted for,
regardless of the rank on that person's top 5.

anyway, here they are:

point totals:
1. the beatles
2. they might be giants
3. dave matthews band
4. radiohead
5. rem
6. tori amos
7. squirrel nut zippers
8. counting crows
9. weezer
10. pearl jam
10. mighty mighty bosstones (tie)

# of votes (there are a lot of ties here):
1. they might be giants
2. the beatles
3. radiohead
3. dave matthews band
3. counting crows (3-way tie)
6. rem
7. squirrel nut zippers
8. pearl jam
8. phish (tie)
10. sarah mclachlan

keep in mind that there weren't a lot of people that voted.  it was good
to see my favorite bands (radiohead and they might be giants) do so
well.

also, i'd like to say that the "what's in the cd changer" thread isn't
as annoying when it's attached to an intelligent post.

dave

"mom, romance is dead.  it was acquired in a hostile takeover bid by
hallmark and disney, homogenized, and sold off piece by piece." --lisa
simpson

want to find a place on the internet where we can all be happy and
joyous and have lots of fun?  too bad. there is no such place on this
plane of existence.  but if you like you can visit my site:
http://members.tripod.com/~lastpolka/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:22:00 EDT
From: third-day-freak@juno.com (Josh R Furnal)
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #480

hello  this is the first time that I have written to this............BF5
is great the first time I saw them was on Mtv 2, on
satilite...........they play the dwarf song about once a
week............this talk about hanson is weird.......my friend told me
that they stopped touring for a while cuz one of the members were goin
through a voice change.................in my cd changer is.........
1.BF5 "WEAEA"
2.Cademons Call" self intitled"
3. Limp Bizkit "3 $$ yalls
4. Third Day "self intitled"
5. Foo Fighters "self intitled"
6. foo fighters " the color and shape"
thank you
ps does anyone live in Iowa????? if so email me and tell me your
favorite song
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
- -Yoda

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 20:40:11 -0700 (MST)
From: Stacy L Flatt <stacyf@U.Arizona.EDU>
Subject: tour dates

Hi guys,

I just looked up the website for tour dates.  They are up!  HOWEVER...
There are none for the west coast!!!!!!!  =-(  I think the farthest west
they go is like Chicago or soemthing!!  Darn it...  Darren, Ben, Robert..
if any of you are reading this, or this gets back to you somehow, please,
please, please come to Arizona!!!!

And if you live in NC or FL, you are in luck, as they are going to each of
those states 2 times.  Check out their official webpage.

Stacy

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 00:05:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rebecca.Cole@mail.cc.trincoll.edu
Subject: Brick as a single

I will be REALLY disappointed if "Brick" is released as the next single.
Oh, but let me tell you why:

A) That song is so intimate, so personal, so wonderful that it would
depress me to think about people listening to it who don't "get" BF5.
Call me selfish if you want, but it's so emotionally raw, it makes me
cringe to think of hearing it on alternative radio.

B) Any video that could be made for "Brick" would disappoint me. I'm not
sure how well the boys would pull off the tender/deep/passionate thing in
a video. I like their wacky video antics. Plus I just think that any
visualization of the song could never be as powerful as the song itself
(kind of like the video for "Nightswimming" by REM where the guy is in a
hotel pool. say what? way to ruin my favorite song, Michael & co.).

C) It would be really sad to me if people began liking BF5 based on
"Brick." I can just hear it now..."I LOVE Ben Folds Five! 'Brick' is such
a great song!" I guess this goes back to my feeling of personal
possession of the song.

And I completely agree with whomever said that the song was about AIDS.
Makes perfect sense, a lot more sense than the abortion theory (for those
of you who think it's about abortion, explain the "they told me, son,
it's time to tell the truth" line. Who told him? How did they know about
this clandestine abortion? To whom was he to tell the truth? I just don't
buy it.) AIDS I'll buy, though.

So I've said my piece. There you have it.

- -Rebby

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 14:14:45 +1000
From: Rainy City <ad@healey.com.au>
Subject: CD Changer

Hi all!!!

   You know what!?  I'd tell you exactly what I had in my CD changer if I had one, but I don;t so I won't.

   But, I know what I'd have in that bad boy...  There'd be various tmbg, bff, Whitlams, Jim Ruiz, Fireballs, dmb, sunny day real estate and other stuff.

Ad.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

&                    Ironside                     &

&      <italic>"...the 17th best band in the world"       &

& http://www.healey.com.au/HomePages/ad/ironside/ &

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 00:00:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Mr. Anthony G. Hillhouse " <agh@inetnebr.com>
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #477

Hi all--

OK, I've got four of the singles CDs, and I guess I'd like to see someone
get a bit more use out of them than I'm getting.  I record them onto tapes
and listen to them in my truck, and the CDs gather dust.

So here they are:

One Angry Dwarf:
- --One Angry Dwarf
- --Bad Idea
- --For All the Pretty People

Where's Summer B.?
- --Where's Summer B.?
- --Tom and Mary
- --Emaline
(_great_ songs.  Classic BF5.)

Battle...
- --Battle Of wwcl
- --Champagne Supernova (Damn funny.)
- --Theme from Dr. Pyser

Battle...
- --Battle Of wwcl
- --Hava Nagila
- --For Those of Ya'll who Wear Fanny Packs

OK, the second two were free, I admit, but I would have gladly paid dearly
for them.  'Specially the Champagne Supernova, I think every mix tape I
own has this snippet on it.  The first two cost me $11.95 each.  Are these
worth anything to y'all?  (btw, I do believe my spelling of the
contraction "y'all" is correct.  Prove me wrong if you think otherwise :)

Email me at:

agh@inetnebr.com

Thanks for reading--

- --Tony

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 01:05:29 -0500
From: jeanius@juno.com (Matt Jeans: A King Among Fools)
Subject: mohr noose

>On another note, can someone help me figure out what "Dumped" is
>referring to. Who was dumped? When? Why? Was it Ben? Was it Darren? Was
>it Robert? Who would dump such charming gents?

darren was dumped. ben wrote the song for him to cheer him up. "I WISH I
HAD'NT BOUGHT YOU DINNER" is referring to the Taco Bell dinner Darren
bought for his ex before being dumped.

i saw Komeda in chicago, and i thought they were the worst shit i had
heard in a while.

i did see SNUZZ however, in winston-salem (opening for bff) and they
kicked some ass. (good job chuck. did anyone ever tell you that you look
a hell of a lot like David Spade?????)

=news=news=news=news=news=news=news=news=news=news=news=news=

Speaking of HANSON, Ben Folds said that the gang might be interested in
covering the hit teeny-bopper song, "MMMM-Bop" "I thought I could write
good songs....that was until I heard Hanson. They blow me away." said
folds

The new video for the song "Brick" will now be filmed in Guatemala
because the Llamas are plentiful and the coffee grows high. Robert says
that the change of location has to do with the script of the video. "It's
all about Coffee and Llamas" he explained.

Ben has been married 12 times, all to women who just wanted him for his
hands.
(except for Kate, of course. she just wants him for his manly figure.)

The next BFF single is an unheard remix entitled,
"Fuckshitfuckpissshitass". it's a love song, about flowers.

When asked what was in his CD player, Ben said, "Gum and Peanut Butter".

"sdroiu fdglij tji bopbt9w4 jibosdf jtsib jbsp0 [w45j jiseopsp ioipv
vjhiapq[qj"

					 - sdoivf dfuhdfo

mj

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 22:32:49 +1000
From: Liz <bregg@macquarie.matra.com.au>
Subject: BFF article in BMA

Don't know how many (if any) Canberra people are on the list, but there is a short half page article on the guys in September BMA on the 'eve' (well, 2 weeks and counting) of their show.

It's pretty standard stuff, and is based around a phone interview with Darren.  I've typed out a couple of excerpts below for interested people.

Cheers

Liz

<snip>

"We don't want to be a huge stadium rock band overnight, we don't want to be The Eagles.  It took The Eagles 10 years to get where they are."

" Ben Folds Five are already on their way, having had success in Japan and England.  Darren speculates this may be due to a lot of Japanese having to perform piano recitals at young ages and they feel an empathy with Ben.  As for England, Darren doesn't think the English took to the grunge scene too much so when asked what American bands they liked they'd answer Ben Folds Five."

<snip>

" Due to a technical hitch the most interesting segment of our conversation cannot be reproduced.  It occurred when Mira Sorvino appeared on his TV.  Some of his comments went along the lines of "She's so .. big!  I like that.  She could lose like a hundred pounds and still be big."  Just what he was on about I'm not sure but I decided it was safer to play along and laugh politely."

Excerpts re-produced from an article by Andrew Collins.  BMA.  Issue 60.  September 97.  Page 25.