Issue #482 - September 17, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest Wednesday, September 17 1997 Volume 01 : Number 482

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

ANNOYING POSTS:
   Yes, unfortunately, once in a while someone will get subscribed to
the list and post something intended to annoy all of us.  When that
happens, please just ignore it and let the moderator handle it behind the
scenes. Usually the instigator is lonely and looking for a little
attention. You can write to the person directly, but please keep it off
the list.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    Komeda and Hanson
    Tour Dates
    South/Midwest/Northeast US Tour Dates
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #479
    origin of "song for the dumped"
    BSCHACK's Single Request
    unsubscribe
    Re: US bff dates
    Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #479
    Sept. 67

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:41:30 -0400
From: "Lance E. Johnson" <lajohns4@vt.edu>
Subject: Komeda and Hanson

I'm not one to like to get off-subject on here, but here goes anyway:  in
response to Kristin from Ann Arbor, I saw Komeda open for BF5 in Lexington
in April and I was not thoroughly impressed.  It could be because I was so
psyched to be at a free BF5 concert with less than 200 people and knew that
I would be up-front against the stage, or it could be because the lead
singer annoyed me so much with her same little dance routine where she
would whip her arms in circles.  Also, I just couldn't grab onto a groove
of theirs.  I will say, however, that the bassist for the band did get up
on stage right next to me for a mock heavy metal song with Ben and the boys
(unfortunately, it escapes me right now).  That was kind of fun.  Perhaps I
should give them another try...

As far as Hanson (God forgive me), I think that I can sum-up their future
career: 15 minutes of fame, five years of rehab.  Just my two cents!

Lance

"Where do we go from here?  The words are coming out all weird."  Radiohead

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:13:36 -0400
From: Anne_Lyons@BayNetworks.COM (Anne Lyons)
Subject: Tour Dates

Hello the 'Chair!

I've been checking both the original (thanks Frank!) and the official BFF
web sites regularly for the past couple of weeks for the word on tour
dates. Interestingly enough... the tour dates that Frank had filled in some
gaps on the official site. I figured that some of you might also be waiting
as patiently as I have been for word of the US tour, so I took the liberty
of combining them and posting them here. As I said, though... I got them
originally from these two sites... so check 'em out for new news.

http://www.epiccenter.com/EpicCenter/Benfoldsite/artisttour.qry?artistid=274
http://oeonline.com/bff/tourdates.html

Dates with a * are from Franks site, all others from the official site.

10/16/97     Atlanta, GA                     The Roxy
10/17/97     Charlotte, NC                Tremont Music Hall
10/18/97     Raleigh, NC                   The Ritz
10/19/97 *   Charleston, SC             96-WAVEfest
                     (featuring Son Volt, Cracker, David Byrne, and more)
10/21/97     Jacksonville FL              Club Five
10/22/97 *   West Palm Beach, FL  Carefree Theatre
10/23/97     St. Petersberg, FL          State Theater
10/25/97     Birmingham, AL             Oak Mountain Amphitheatre
10/27/97     Nashville, TN                  328 Performance Hall
10/30/97     Chicago, IL                      The Vic Theatre
11/09/97     Philadelphia, PA             Electric Factory

Personally, I'm hoping that the gaps between Chitown and Philly and between
Philly and Manchester, England on December 8 mean that Ben, Darren and
Robert will be cruising through the Boston/Providence area at *some* point
on this tour (pleasepleaseplease???).

That's all for now... Oops! Oh yeah... what's in the CD changer...

At Home:
Foo Fighters                              Self-titled
BFF                                              WAEA
BFF                                              Self-titled
Squirrel Nut Zippers                 Hot
The Beatles                                Abbey Road

At Work:
Luscious Jackson                      Fever In Fever Out
Beck                                              Odelay
Sting                                              Ten Summoner's Tales
Sarah McLachlan                        Surfacing
Sarah McLachlan                        Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones   Let's Face It

Gotta recommend Luscious Jackson for anyone who likes jazz and superb
harmonies...

Apologies for the long post!

- -Anne

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:37:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Frank Maynard <maynard@mail.oeonline.com>
Subject: South/Midwest/Northeast US Tour Dates

The band's management office has released a partial list of US tour dates
for the fall tour.  As it stands now, they are:

Oct. 16: Atlanta, GA - The Roxy
Oct. 17: Charlotte, NC - Tremont Music Hall
Oct. 18: Raleigh, NC - The Ritz
Oct. 19: Charleston, SC - 96-WAVE Fest, Rodney St. Landfill
Oct. 21: Jacksonville, FL - Club 5
Oct. 22: West Palm Beach, FL - Carefree
Oct. 23: St. Petersburg, FL - State Theatre
Oct. 25: Birmingham, AL - Oak Mountain Amphitheatre
Oct. 26: Knoxville, TN - Bijou Theatre
Oct. 27: Nashville, TN - 328 Performance Hall
Oct. 28: Bloomington, IN - Venue to be announced
Oct. 30: Chicago, IL - Vic Theatre
Oct. 31: Cleveland, OH - Lakewood Civic Auditorium
Nov. 1: Ypsilanti, MI - Eastern Michigan University
Nov. 2: Ithaca, NY - Cornell University
Nov. 8: Pittsburgh, PA - Westminster College
Nov. 9: Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory

More dates for the western US to be announced later.

  -fjm
               You know who I am. I'm your nightmare little man

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:31:50 -0500
From: john_oc@juno.com
Subject: Re: Magical Armchair Digest V1 #479

In regards to thanking Ben Folds...I figure that September 67 is just
thanking them for letting them tour together.  Bands do that quite often.

I met Sloan at a show in Cleveland...we talked about the show, and the
destruction of their American label, The Enclave, and eventually it came
out that he is a big fan, and has a crush on Shannon in September 67 and
is a big fan of ole Ben and the boys!!!

In the CD player

Jars of Clay - Much Afraid
Joe Christmas - North to the Future
Caedmon's Call - Caedmon's Call
Dyrve - Thrifty Mr. Kickstar
The O.C. Supertones - Supertones Strike Back
Babybird - Ugly Beautiful
Flaming Lips - In a Priest Driven Ambulence

John Boyer
WOBN-FM 101.5 the ROCK    Columbus, Ohio
Asst. Music Director, Triple A Dir. and Research Dir.
Email: John_OC@juno.com   Phone: (614) 823-2969
"Call it what you want, you'll never fool anyone with what you've got."
- --Luxury

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:21:17 -0500
From: "Clasen, Benjamin P" <BPCLASEN@CSBSJU.EDU>
Subject: origin of "song for the dumped"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:53:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: BSCHACK@aol.com
Subject: BSCHACK's Single Request

 The single for Where's Summer B? is worth having for the live versions
 of Emaline + Tom and Mary.

 PS.  How can a song called "Mmm Bop" not be meaningless drivel?

 "I wish it was last September." >>

I think you have me mixed up with someone else since I have no idea what
you're talking about.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 11:03:06 -0400
From: The Walker Family <bagheera@pipeline.com>

- --
The Walker & Wapp Connection
http://www.pipeline.com/~bagheera/home.htm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 11:50:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Scoota97@aol.com
Subject: Re: US bff dates

Hey gang,

	Ok,ok...I just received a mailing of the dates for the upcoming tour and
whadaya know......NOTHING for New England (unless you count a NY show) no
hartford,no providence, not even a boston show =-(
	I am completely bummed at this point, so frank, if you can get a message to
the boys...let them know that they are welcome to atone for this misdeed by
playing at my house!! I know it may not be the perfect solution but hey....it
isn't a bad place, the acoustics are pretty good and I'll even spring for the
munchies!!

	On a serious note..anyone from the Boston area planning on going to the
cornell show in November...maybe we can get a caravan going (might even be
willing to go to the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh shows...)

	Another thing....if they booked a show at a central location like
UMASS/Amherst or something...how many people from NE would go?? I think they
would get a tremendous amount of people to attend...but, that's only my
opinion and since I'm not a booking agent, there are probably other factors
involved that I don't understand....I guess I will have to be satisfied with
seeing them in NY and if that's the closest they play then so be it (although
I still like my first idea better...Ben,Robert,Darren, Free Beer..who could
ask for more)

later all

~Scott

"Money talks...I hate to listen, but lately it's been screaming in my ear"
BFF

Watch out.. here it comes the dreaded CD CHANGER!!!

BFF-WAEA
BFF-BFF
DMB-Recently
Seven Nations-Big Dog
Thelonius Monk-Blue Note Years

		if I had a 100 disc changer, it still wouldn't be enough =-(

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 11:32:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: SCHUTTE <eschutte@eagle.cc.ukans.edu>

To the guy who wanted to know where "Dumped" came from:

Darren's girlfriend broke up with him, so he got drunk and wrote this
letter out to himself or God or whoever, and Robert and Ben found it, and
they composed it into a song after Darren passed out.  Voila, you have
"Dumped".  I don't know who the girl was or why she dumped him, but she
was pretty dumb to dump him.
How do I know this?  I have a bootleg of a concert where Ben describes
where the song came from to the audience, so this is true.  Does this
answer your question? :)

Also, I also have a bootleg of "Video Killed the Radio Star" and I too was
wondering where that one hit wonder compilation is at!  If anyone does
know, please email me, too.  I'd really like to know! Please send me a
private email at eschutte@eagle.cc.ukans.edu  Thanks!

- --emily

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:13:34 +0000
From: Melissa Larson <mal010@drake.edu>
Subject: Sept. 67

> September 67                                     15/9/97         10:09
am
>Does anyone know how Ben Folds contributed to September 67's Lucky Shoe
album >- he's thanked in the liner notes but but doesn't say for what?
>Thanks, Simes

I think it has to do with the fact that September 67 toured with the boys
for a while.  At least, when I saw BF5, Sept. 67 opened for them.  I
thought they just rocked.  For those who haven't seen BF5 live, its
incredible.  Worth a couple hours of drivin' for me!  Any BF5 fans in
Iowa that I can hang with..?
Hope that answered your question...

Love and Sonshine,

- -Mis