Issue #485 - September 17, 1997

Magical Armchair Digest Wednesday, September 17 1997 Volume 01 : Number 485

   Send an e-mail message to armchair-request@maillist.il.fontys.nl with
the word 'unsubscribe' (without the quotes) in the message body. Please DO
NOT POST UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THE LIST ITSELF! If you are having
trouble, send mail to armchair-owner@maillist.il.fontys.nl and I will try
to help you.

WHEN REPLYING: Please change the subject of your reply to something
pertinent to the message. Don't leave it as "Magical Armchair Digest,
V1 #xxx" unless your mail client won't allow you to change it.

ANNOYING POSTS:
   Yes, unfortunately, once in a while someone will get subscribed to
the list and post something intended to annoy all of us.  When that
happens, please just ignore it and let the moderator handle it behind the
scenes. Usually the instigator is lonely and looking for a little
attention. You can write to the person directly, but please keep it off
the list.

TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:

    My CD changer--
    U.S. Tour and Sessions at 54th--
    Frank Reigns!
    [none]
    mp3's
    Bitch? Taboo lifted?
    4 chords?

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:00:46 -0700
From: jessmiester@juno.com (Jessica A Lemley)
Subject: My CD changer--

In My CD changer

1.R.E.M.-Dead Letter Office
2.Soul Coughing-Irrisistable Bliss
3.BF5-WEAEA
4.Pearl Jam-Ten
5.Violent Femmes-Add It Up
6.Matchbox 20-Yourself Or Someone Like You

- --If you wanted to know--Jessie
"I am superman, and i can do anything"--R.E.M.
"You've done no wrong,
now get out of my sight"--Ben Folds Five

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:16:05 -0700
From: jessmiester@juno.com (Jessica A Lemley)
Subject: U.S. Tour and Sessions at 54th--

I'm sure most of you already got this message, but for those of you who
didn't--here ya go--

NEW U.S. TOUR
BFF will be hitting the road in the U.S. when they get back
from Australia. Here's some advance notice on dates (which
are still subject to some change at this point.) More to
come soon.

10/16	Atlanta, GA		The Roxy
10/17	Charlotte, NC		Tremont Music Hall
10/18	Raleigh, NC		Ritz
10/19	Charleston, SC		Wavefest (WAVF)/Romney St.
Landfill
10/21	Jacksonville, FL	Club 5
10/22	West Palm Bch, FL	Carefree
10/23	St. Petersburg, FL	StateTheatre
10/25	Birmingham, AL		Oak Mountain Amph. (WRAX)
10/26	Knoxville, TN		Bijou Theatre
10/27	Nashville, TN		328 Performance Hall
10/28	Bloomington, IN		TBA
10/30	Chicago, IL		Vic Theatre
10/31	Cleveland, OH		Lakewood Civic Auditorium
11/1	Ypsilanti, MI		Eastern MI Cornell
11/2	Ithaca, NY		Cornell Univ.
11/8	Pittsburgh, PA		Westminster College
11/9	Philadelphia, PA	Electric Factory

TELEVISON
The air date for Sessions at West 54th with Ben Folds Five
and Beck is now November 8th on PBS. For sure!

RIGHT ON!!!!

- --Jessie
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:16:39 -0400
From: Anne_Lyons@BayNetworks.COM (Anne Lyons)
Subject: Frank Reigns!

Hello the 'Chair (again)!

Well... in some post above (or below? hmmmm...) I included a bunch of tour
dates from both Frank Maynard's web site and the official web site (Sony, I
guess).

I just checked Frank's site again, and he has more tour dates up. So I
guess I jumped the gun... so mea culpa and all that. = ) But what can I
say... Frank is the Duke of BFF, so I should have known he'd be right up to
date!

Here's the full list as of 9/16/97 5:15 pm eastern (from
http://oeonline.com/bff/tourdates.html):

South/Midwest/Eastern US Tour

     Oct. 16: Atlanta, GA - The Roxy
     Oct. 17: Charlotte, NC - Tremont Music Hall
     Oct. 18: Raleigh, NC - The Ritz
     Oct. 19: Charleston, SC - 96-WAVEfest, featuring Son Volt, Cracker,
David Byrne, etc.
     Oct. 21: Jacksonville, FL - Club 5
     Oct. 22: West Palm Beach, FL - Carefree Theatre
     Oct. 23: St. Petersburg, FL - State Theatre
     Oct. 25: Birmingham, AL - Oak Mountain Amphitheatre
     Oct. 26: Knoxville, TN - Bijou Theatre
     Oct. 27: Nashville, TN - 328 Performance Hall
     Oct. 28: Bloomington, IN - Venue to be announced
     Oct. 30: Chicago, IL - Vic Theatre
     Oct. 31: Cleveland, OH - Lakewood Civic Auditorium
     Nov. 1: Ypsilanti, MI - Eastern Michigan University
     Nov. 2: Ithaca, NY - Cornell University
     Nov. 8: Pittsburgh, PA - Westminster College
     Nov. 9: Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory

More dates for the western US to be announced later.

Two more things... pleasepleaseplease say it ain't so that BFF won't be
hitting New England??? And finally... please don't flame me for posting
tour dates here... while we all have e-mail (obviously) not all of us have
the best access to the Internet. When I was on AOL, I was always begging
friends to grab info for me... so I thought I would help.

Have a super day!

- -Anne

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:29:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Napalm <sasst66+@pitt.edu>
Subject: [none]

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:35:15 -0400
From: Carrie Shanafelt <cds9@po.cwru.edu>
Subject: mp3's

Hey guys!  I've been receiving a lot of e-mails asking for the addresses
where mp3's can be gotten from -- Paul May (Hi Paul!) has "For all the
Pretty People" and "Hava Nagila" on his site at "www.iol.ie/~may" and
Dave(?  I think that's his name; sorry!) has "Emaline", "For Those of Y'all
Who Wear Fanny Packs", "All Shook Up", "Bad Idea (Retarded)", "Eddie
Walker, This is Your Life", "Rocky", Part of "Mitchell Lane", "Theme from
Dr. Pyser", "Champagne Supernova", "Satan is my Master", "Tom and Mary",
and Live versions of "Steven's Last Night in Town", "Uncle Walter", and
"Julianne" at his site "php.indiana.edu/~wsarles/bffmp3.html"
As I've mentioned before, please note that to download Dave's files, you
must use Micrsoft Internet Explorer....
There you have it!
Carrie

"Pig and elephant genes just won't splice!" -- South Park

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:14:37 +0100
From: paul.leung@virgin.net (paul.leung@virgin.net)
Subject: Bitch? Taboo lifted?

Hey, don't mind me, but that someone was female-catch a guy singing
that, and ooh, may God save him, for the very heavens shall fall upon
his head (and a great deal of feminists).

Seeyaround, punks.
anthony

(3 months till really happy again)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:14:24 +0100
From: paul.leung@virgin.net (paul.leung@virgin.net)
Subject: 4 chords?

Sorry, I really wasn't gonna say anything, but really, I can't resist.
I'd actually like to mention that Kate only has four chords, as does
Julianne, and maybe other songs. So? They're both favourites of mine,
and when I was listening I wasn't listening to the chord progression, or
how many chords there were, if he used an imperfect or plagal cadence or
if he'd textured the chords so that the 5th was on the bottom, if there
was a 7th, or if it was minor. I was listening to the song.
Oh, and one last thing? Could the attacker of Hanson name 5 songs from
them? Granted, their songs do not have political messages in them, but
give the guys a break. (btw, I also hate their singing, except for the
old guy, who sounds cool).

Seeyaround

anthony
yep, just under 3 months to go 'til I"m happy like mad.